Ch.6- New equipment
200 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Edited by Explorer_57

As I walked through the busy streets of the city, my sensory organs were constantly being bombarded by an array of stimuli. Everywhere I looked, I could see an array of stores selling items of varying types, including potions, equipment, and weapons such as bows and swords. I found myself struggling to decide which store to enter.

People of all kinds passed by me, adventurers and merchants, as well as individuals who seemed to possess a significant amount of wealth. Although the atmosphere was different from other parts of the city, lacking tall towers and grand statues, it was still luxuriously designed. I couldn't help but feel out of place among the well-dressed individuals who surrounded me.

The guards stationed throughout the area and the normal people from around seemed to share my unease. They all kept a close watch on me, their gaze fixed in my direction, some non-adventurers even changed roads.

I walked with my zipped bag attached to my side. I put a piece of clothing in it. With it, the coins in my bag didn't make any sound when I walked therefore the chances of me getting assaulted decreased. The security of the city is pretty great around here, but I don't trust the guards, not with the look they give me. They don't try to even mask their presence.

I need to finish my business as fast as I can, they are starting to make me nervous. First I will begin with buying a weapon and then clothes. I was planning on searching for information about The Abyss, but that can wait. I'll do it tomorrow, today there is something I want to do more before night arrives.

During my fight against the dog-like monster the emotion of anger helped me a lot. I want to comply with that emotion today as an experiment. But for now, let's wait and buy the things I need first.

After searching for a little time, I found a weapon store that didn't look that luxurious. I entered the store, a bell rang as I did. My eyes darted around the room, taking in the vast selection of all the various weapons on display. The swords were especially impressive; some featured intricate designs and decorations that spoke of their quality. There were smaller blades too, including daggers and knives that I could easily carry with me. Further down, there were axes and hammers lined up on the shelves.

My eyes were dragged to a purple dagger in particular. The dagger was clearly the most eye-catching weapon in the entire store. It seemed to glow with powerful energy. The hilt of the dagger was encrusted with rubies, while the guard was decorated with small diamonds. Its handle was wrapped in leather.

"I don't think that's what you searching for pal"

I turned to the voice behind me to see a muscular elderly man with a white long ponytail standing nearby. He was wearing an old leather apron and had a discerning look in his eye. I don't know if he is a dwarf or if he is just small.

"That's just a show for the rich little kids, not a real weapon," He said while smiling, revealing a pair of deep wrinkles that spread across his face. "It's beautiful, isn't it? But real weapons don't come with all the bells and whistles. They need to be built for one purpose, to do the job right." He gestured towards the wall behind him, where I could see a selection of plain-looking weapons. "These here, these are the ones you want if you're serious about getting some proper protection."

I observed him and then walked towards one of the weapons from the wall. It felt surprisingly light in my hands, lighter than I expected.

“That’s a good choice,” said the old man approvingly. “But you can do better.”

He then took a step closer and directed my attention to another weapon that was hanging on the wall. It had a red dagger, a perfectly balanced hilt, and a sturdy handle that fit perfectly in my hand. I could feel the strength and power of this weapon just by looking at it.

“This is a fine weapon, crafted by an old master swordsmith, aka me.” said the old man, his smile growing bigger. “It takes skill and artistry to make something as beautiful and deadly as this so look at it carefully.” He started observing me from toe to head "You look quite intimidating but your equipment is non-existent... Well, since you entered this store you probably are not that stupid"

Is he insulting me...? Whatever, I like this one I wonder how much it cost.

I looked at the price tag and I was immediately blown away. 5 silver coins... incredible that's like 50 copper coins... humans are so avaricious... Isn't the cost of one night, at the hotel that receptionists told me, 2 silver coins. That is a lot but at least they provide food... They provide food right...? I'm quite hungry...I don't believe that humans can be that greedy...they surely provide food... I know humans can be horrible, but rich people from here might be different, like the teacher for example... This is probably a scam.

"Uh? What are you doing, you don't like it?"

I put the dagger back in its place and left the place, the man looking at me with an incredulous look.

Once out, I looked around for another shop. I started walking but the only ones that I found were very expensive-looking. Should I just enter a luxury one? I remember reading that I shouldn't judge a book by its cover so I might as well try...

As I was about to approach, I saw one of the guards immediately begin to walk toward me, he looked ready to take out his sword. I immediately turn around and begin walking toward the wood store from before. I don't want any trouble.

I entered the 'less luxurious' store, the sight of an incredulous old man met me.

"Uh? Hey, what's up pal? You had some business to attend?"

I took 5 silver coins from my bag and extended my arm to give it to him.

"...I'm not sure if I'm following you..."

I then took the dagger with its scarf and give him the five coins.

"Eh...? Oh! I see... You are a woman of few words uh..." He put his hand on his chin and began thinking about something, looking at me from head to toe for a second time today. This man is weird. "How about buying some equipment too, if you go like that to the Man-Eating-Hole, it's gonna fest with your blood"

I nod, I was planning on doing it anyway.

"Good, give me 10 silver coins and wait for me here"

I looked at him with a frown. At least from my perspective, I probably didn't put any expression on my face. Humans' emotions can be scary, I don't want to imagine his reaction after seeing my face. He might even want to light me up on fire with a torch, better not risk it.

"Uh, So... 10 coins?"

I ain't giving him my money, he is acting too suspicious.

"...Whatever just wait here, I'll buy it for you at my friend's store. I don't want you to get scammed"

***

I stood in front of the mirror, the strange feeling had been growing inside me and seemed to reach a fever pitch. These clothes were so unfamiliar, yet they fit my body so perfectly as if they were tailored just for me. It was an outfit like none I’d ever seen before.

Two large black boots, a pair of brown tights and a belt, black shorts, a dark tight-fitting t-shirt, and a small grey piece of metal that covered some of the skin on my right arm. Not only did it fit me incredibly well, but it was also incredibly flexible. I could move freely in it without any restrictions.

However, the most shocking part for me was not the clothes but the person that wore them. That wasn't me. She was tall, had white long hair, and red ruby eyes. Not a single speck of dirt or previous wound could be seen on her.

"Well, would you look at that~ After letting go of that thing you had, you look pretty good" He paused looking at me slowly, and then added, "Though, You should cut your hair. It might annoy you in the future"

I shake my head.

"Uh? Alright... Then how about a ponytail"

Should I cut my hair...? No, I don't want to. Weird, is this because of emotions again... I'll go for a ponytail.

I nod at the dwarf.

"Alright," He walked to the back of the store they came back with a small elastic. "Do you know how to do a ponytail?"

I shake my head.

"I don't know why but I somehow I expect it. Make sure to learn from this experienced man how to do it, you woman! At your age, you should already know. By the way, how old are you?"

I put 5 on my right hand, then repeated the gesture 3 times.

"Uh...5?"

I shake my head and did it again.

"Mm...10?"

I shake my head a little bit stronger and did it again.

"...20?"

Is he dumb or something, there might be something bad with his head... I did the gesture again...

"...25...?"

I can't believe it... I guess I'll need to speak.

"...15..." I said. My throat hurts a little now.

"...Did you say 13, you are talking very low, I didn't hear it well"

Inconceivable, unbelievable, incomprehensible, illogical, incomprehensible. HOW can he not get it?

"...15..." I repeat.

"...You 15?" He said.

Affirmative, 15, that's right. Finally.

"...you sure we are not misunderstanding something...?

Mmm...I'm sure...? Yeah.

I nod at him.

"I see..."

His expression...weird. I have seen that one before. The girl that used to talk to me sometimes had the same face while she talked with some kids on the streets. I thought it was boredom but I don't think he is bored right now. Or maybe he is...?

"Well kid, don't you have something to do? Get out of my shop! A lot of people need my services, you already took too much time from me"

There is no one here though. Anyways, he is right, I have things to do. I need to experiment with my emotion. The emotion of 'anger' wants me to kill the guys who killed and raped that girl. I'm going to do it now, maybe I will get stronger or something. Maybe I won't arrive in time to meet with the guy from the guild but I don't care, this is more important. He was suspicious anyway.

I walked towards the exit and opened the door.

"Hey brat, you better come back here to buy something more..."

I nod at him. And then exited the store.

-------

It was cloudy, it might start raining soon. People started entering their houses, the ones that stayed outside didn't look that much of a danger, they looked like cadavers. I kept my guard up, though.

I kept walking, and gradually the city around me began to change. The dilapidated buildings and narrow alleys began to eat the magnificent structures and wide streets. I could see fewer and fewer soldiers doing patrol.

I kept walking on a steady rhythm, never stopping. Everywhere I looked there were small and semi-destroyed houses, everything was devoid of any color other than orange, and rats or cockroaches could be seen hiding. Somehow this place remained me of the first layer of The Abyss. The feeling I get is the same. It's as if everything wanted to eat me. However, contrary to The Abyss, It felt as if I should be here, like this was where I belonged.

As I walked through the streets, I could feel the emotion of 'anger' building inside me more prominently. I could feel my fists clenching by my side as I gritted my teeth, this time I will let it run rampant, like before.

I walked on, my feet pounding the ground with every step as I passed through street after street, each time they became more and more familiar. Nothing has changed, not me, not them. I'm scared just like before, they are just as unattractive as before.

The rain started pouring from the sky as I reached the territory of the gang that killed her. I'm close to the orphanage here, where I was expulsed from a peaceful life. If that boy didn't try to expulse me, if I didn't kill him, if the gang wasn't a danger, if I could have come back to the church and kept doing my studies, none of this would have happened. I would be getting that allowance and I would have gotten that transfer, I would have lived a peaceful life, what I always have wanted.

-Go to The Abyss-

I wouldn't have these damn emotions saying things in my mind. Always pushing its thoughts onto me. What I wanted was to -go to the bottom- live peacefully. Without hunger, without pain, without loneliness. Why must every step that I take have a contrary effect? I tried to be alone to eliminate my emotions, and when I finally was, in that desert, I missed them.

"AahhhhHhhhhhhh!!!"

Human Lv.0 slain. 21 XP has been awarded

"Hel-pppaaAAAHHHHH!!"

Human Lv.0 slain. 37 XP has been awarded

She died, and I didn't understand why. They killed her, raped her, and laughed/laughed at it all. I didn't know what to do, I didn't understand myself. I felt so powerless as I watched them walk away.

"Get AWaY! AHhH!!!!"

Human Lv.0 slain. 17 XP has been awarded

I ran through the streets, my arms burned and the dagger in my hand was full of blood.

Dexterity with knives has reached Lv.3

With a yelp of pain, I felt a sharp sting on my back, somebody had just stabbed me. Anger filled my veins like a wave, and without hesitation, I turned around to see the perpetrator. Standing before me was an adolescent with a snake tattoo wrapped around his neck, looking almost comically small compared to my stature. He couldn't have been more than fifteen years old.

Using my dagger, I stabbed him in the eye. With one swift motion, his eyeball popped out and dropped onto the ground. His cries of agony echoed through the place as I grabbed him by the throat and pushed him to the ground. I brought my arms to his face and started burning it. His skin started to melt. Contrary to my expectations my clothes didn't suffer damage from the fire. I instinctively knew I could control what it burned.

Human Lv.0 slain. 41 XP has been awarded

More people with tattoos began appearing around me and I started to feel nervous. I can't possibly win against all of them and coming here in the first place was stupid, but I didn't care, this wasn't time to regret.

The flame of my arms grew stronger and I charged with my dagger at 2 guys in front of me, they flinched before taking out their knives and coming at me. I dodged one of the attacks coming from the right but another from the left hit me on the leg, it stabbed deep into my thigh.

Pain should have sent a shockwave through my body, but I barely even noticed. My dagger lunged forward in a blur, piercing one of the men’s throats. Blood was sprayed everywhere in a gruesome display. His eyes widened as he tried to make sense of what just happened and then slowly began to close as he slumped to the ground.

Human Lv.0 slain. 41 XP has been awarded

The other one retreated rapidly as he saw my burning arm coming toward him, he managed to escape by a narrow margin. He then looked at me, began trembling, and immediately ran. I followed him, I could also hear footsteps behind me. They weren't attacking but instead watched me with caution, like waiting for something... Was this a trap?

I ran, trying to catch up to the man and in that moment I realized that something was wrong with him. The man that I pursued was definitely going somewhere in specific... This was the way where their base was located... If my objective is killing them then should I go...? ...I'm such a coward... I'm scared, I don't want to die...

I turned around and escaped. Immediately after, I could see 3 men, who seemed to be hiding, jump toward me, luckily I was far away enough for them to not arrive. the men pursuing me faded further and further away with each panicked step. The pain of my wound was all-consuming, but I forced myself to keep running, never once stopping. My breathing was ragged and labored, my heart pounding fiercely within my chest as I made a desperate attempt to outrun my pursuers. After some running, they stopped coming for me. I look back I few times just to make sure.

The flame on my arms slowly died out. Blood flowed from me, the rain slowly washed it off revealing the open wounds. I started walking, the adrenaline slowly wore off and I could begin to feel the weight on my body.

This place is not safe, I need to leave, I need to-

"H-hey"

I turn around, and the dagger in my hands was against the unknown person's throat. To my surprise, what I found was someone I knew.

"I-Irena is that you?" A girl said. "I nearly didn't recognize you, you sure changed a lot uh! T-that was some pretty amazing stuff you know." She gulped "Can you please quit that long knife from my throat, please..."

I sheathe the bloody knife into its scabbard at my hip. I was starting to feel cold due to the rain and me being hungry and bloody sure didn't help.

"W-wait a min pls!"

I kept walking, making sure no dangerous people followed me. They probably are going to bring reinforcements, I need to walk quickly.

"I-Irena... W-where are you going?"

I'm such a coward... didn't I came here to kill them. What am I even doing...?

"Those clothes... A-are you going to The Abyss...?"

I look back for a second, my eyes staring at her. I remember her, she was friends with the one that always talked to me. She is small even though she is older than me. Her name was Plotina I think. She has yellow hair and orange eyes. She is all dirty, and the rain doesn't help in the slightest.

"...C-can I go with you...?"

10