Ch.9- Call from below
131 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I checked the contents of my bag, but I couldn't see anything, so I relied on my touch. The four cans of canned food, my medallion, and the two red potions I bought before were all there... I'm starting to run out of money, but it doesn't matter, today I'll get more.

"I-Is it normal for this place to be this dark?" A voice on my side said.

The girl and I were in the elevator, slowly descending further into the unknown depths of the hole. I doubted we would reach our destination anytime soon.

"I-Irena, please give me a light tap if you are still there," she asked.

I shook my head slightly but found myself reaching out to where I believed her back was.

"Hiii!!!! F-f-fuck," she exclaimed, her body shaking beneath my touch.

What are you getting scared for...you asked me this... Should I really trust this girl...wouldn't I be better alone...? Whatever. 

It's probably going to be a while until we reach the ground, I should review the information I have about the first layer. I don't think I forgot anything, but better be careful.

Alright, first of all, the first layer is divided into three sections: the Meadows, the Orange Forest, and The Caves, all sharing orange as their primary color. The Meadows are where an adventurer's settlement is situated, and in The Caves is where the path to the second layer is. To reach The Meadows, we'd need first to traverse the forest; the book said it would take at least one or two weeks, depending on our walking speed.

My goal on this incursion is simple: survive for a week in this place to train for the next incursion where we will go to the adventurer's settlement. Here, in The Abyss, night and day don't exist; however, with the medallion that the Adventurers guild had given us, I can track how much time we have been down. Behind the medallion, there is a weird type of clock and a compass.

Since my goal is to be here and train for a week, should I tell her...? I don't feel like talking... I should really buy a notebook to communicate. If I have to talk with my mouth each time I want to say something complex, I might die.

"H-hey... Do you think we can do it...?"

I looked to my side toward the voice that spoke to me. I could see her face a little now. She definitely looked like someone scared.

"I-I have never used a crossbow... I don't think I will be able to help..."

I expected as much, this is simple training. Maybe she will die, maybe not, nobody knows. But if she survives, she won't be useless anymore. It pains me to have to spend money on something that will probably die, but it's not like I can't recover it.

Contrary to the first time, now I have [Hellfire], food, two red potions, a dagger, equipment, and a small human meat shield. I don't think I won't be able to recover all the money I spent. I just need to make sure that I don't die; if my companion comes back alive, it's a plus.

"Ahh~ My eyes hurt..."

Does she need to report every feeling she has? Whatever, It's starting to get very illuminated, my eyes aren't used to it and also hurt. We are reaching the forest.

"Why is it suddenly so bright!?"

".....stop exaggerating....." I have never talked this much in such a short span...my throat hurts.

"Is that a glowing forest...? Wait, it isn't the forest that is glowing. It's the butterflies...?"

A minute or so passed and we finally reached the ground. The trees were tall and gnarled, with large branches reaching up toward the sky. Between them hung the orange butterflies, glowing brightly but not too much now that my eyes had adjusted.

"So beautiful..." the girl at my side said. Her words contrasted with her body language. The crossbow in her hands seemed to be glued to her body, and an arrow was already prepared. It's nice to know that she isn't letting her guard down... at least not completely.

I stepped out of the elevator, and after some hesitation, the girl at my side followed me. With my dagger drawn, I cautiously walked forward into the glowing forest. The light illuminated my path, and I could make out the details of the gnarled trees, their large branches reaching up to the sky. Intertwined between them was a multitude of orange butterflies, fluttering serenely in the air. 

I watched one of them get closer to my head. It was small, so it probably wasn't the dangerous one, but it was still risky to touch it, so I dodged it, and eventually, it stopped following me. This had happened the first time, too, right? Weird...

"A-are they dangerous...?" I looked behind and saw a small woman shaking. 

You didn't read the book...? Shouldn't you prepare more for something that might decide your life...? I guess I can't complain, after all, the first time I descended, I didn't search for any information for some unknown reason...

"...big....yes.." I responded.

"Uh?? What?"

I really should buy that notebook.

"...Only big butterflies are dangerous..." I said.

"Oh, I see..."

Why is talking so uncomfortable for me...? Emotions are weird...

I started moving slowly. She followed. I looked down at the medallion on my left hand, it marked the directions. I was walking north. I remembered reading that the central-north forest is less dangerous than in other spots and is a very good spot for training. The travel time is 'only' 2 days according to the book. Isn't The Abyss too big? I know that dungeons don't follow logical rules but this is simply too much...

By the way, this place isn't nearly as scary as I remembered. This feeling is so weird. Maybe it's due to me knowing that I have [Hellfire]. I shouldn't get comfortable, it's still dangerous if I get ambushed.

"Where are we going...? ...You know what, forget it, you won't tell me anyway."

I ignored the girl's useless comments and continued walking with my dagger in my right hand and the medallion in the left, always very slowly and looking around me in all instances. The girl also seemed to try to reduce the sound of her footsteps gradually because I nearly couldn't hear the steps behind me anymore. Should I really let her walk behind me...? What if she attacks me?

I looked sideways at the girl, she seemed to be focusing on her surroundings. For now, I'm going to ignore my apprehension at her walking behind. This is not the place to get distracted.

We continued walking, and the atmosphere slowly became heavier, and the silence was deafening. The only sounds that could be heard were the rustling of the leaves and the occasional fluttering of butterfly wings. The footsteps of the girl behind me seemed to become less and less audible, it was beginning to be scary that I didn't hear her at all.

I felt a cold shiver run down my spine. I turned around to check on the girl, but she was gone. I immediately turned and looked everywhere around me in case a monster or a butterfly was hiding, but I couldn't see anything.

"I-Irena, come here" I heard a faint sound coming from behind a large tree. I slowly approached it, trying to make as little noise as possible. As I peered around the tree, I saw the girl crouched down, her crossbow at the ready.

I put the medallion on my bag and slowly approached her. I crouched at her side, we were behind some brushes. She pointed at a large butterfly that was hovering near us, its wingspan at least twice the size of the others.

"T-That's a big one, right?" she whispered, her voice trembling.

I nodded.

"I-It was following us..."

Following us...? I didn't even notice, how does she know...? Whatever, that's not important, right now we have to deal with that.

"There are like 3 more around us...they are also following us but from further away... Are they gonna attack us...?"

3 more... If I remember correctly these butterflies are called [Gula Papilio]. They attack weak-looking people and are highly intelligent. They can remember people's faces and abilities. I think that they are observing us for now but are going to test the waters later by attacking one alone and then all together, just like they did with me. I should set an example with this one.

I stand up and put my dagger on its scabbard. Flames appear from my arms and become brighter rapidly. The butterfly notice me and began flying, but it was too late. I launch at it and burn it.

"Whoah... I want to do that too..."

With this, they hopefully won't attack us carelessly, let's keep moving.

I returned to walk, and the girl followed me.

"Is there a way for me to learn magic too...?" She said in a quiet tone.

I look behind, the girl stared at me with a somewhat hesitant face.

I open my mouth and said "....closer...."

"What...?" 

I hate having to repeat things. "...Get closer..."

She seems very good at noticing enemies so I want her to stay close to me so I don't lose her like before, and also so I don't get ambushed by a monster.

"Ah ok, It's that alright...?"

What do you- Mmm... I see, she probably noticed that I keep always a distance between us in case she attack me.

I look into her eyes and nod.

"Ok..." She said while getting closer. Soon, she was at my side. "By the way, you really need to stop saying just one word and hoping others understand you..."

I ignore her useless remarks and keep walking.

"Also, I will like it if you could stop bossing me around..."

I ignore her useless remarks and keep walking.

As we continued to walk through the forest, I kept a close eye on our surroundings and her. She might have been reliable, but I couldn't let my guard down. My hand remained firmly on the hilt of my dagger, ready to draw it at a moment's notice.

"Your gaze kinda hurts... Stop looking fixedly at me with that expressionless face..."

The girl at my side walked cautiously, holding her crossbow tightly. She seemed scared but also determined to stay alive. I wondered what her motivation was for descending into The Abyss. I know she wants to recover her parents and kill the gang members, but is that all? 

My emotions want me to get revenge, yet, I can't imagine my life living for other people's sake. My principal objective is to -live- go to the bottom of this hole -and kill Demiurge-. I can't understand why someone will have the will to let someone other will get into their objectives.

Speaking of will, just what the hell is the 'will' of someone...? I don't understand why my objectives are what they are. I know that the 'will' of a person is the force that drives them to take action, to strive for something better, and to reach their goals. It is a deep-seated desire to find purpose and meaning in life. It can be seen in the decision to pursue a career, go back to school, or simply enjoy a hobby. 

But what makes it so difficult to understand for me is its intangible nature. Humans may firmly believe that we are following our own will, but often our decisions are shaped by external factors such as societal pressure or peer influence. I thought emotions were external to the will that why before I tried to eliminate them, yet I couldn't.

-Why do I want to go to the bottom of The Abyss? Why do I want to kill Demiurge?-

At times, it feels like my will has been taken away from me, leaving me feeling helpless and directionless... I need to recognize and nurture my independence. I will not end like the woman at my side, living for someone's sake.

To truly understand my objectives, I must -not- look inward and listen to the voice within myself that guides me along my journey to the bottom. Only then I will -not- learn to differentiate between what I want and what I think I should want, allowing me to follow our authentic path with confidence and clarity. I should kill Demiurge.

"What are you doing...? Is there something in that tree...?"

Mortal flesh restraint me. I can't accept it, it will be the same as accepting Demiurge the false God.

I want to go back with Monad, the true God. For that, I need to kill Demiurge and free all souls trapped in this space. I need to give the gnosis to all individuals. I need to free them from their mortal lives. 

"W-Wait I-Is this a red portal!? Irena, we need to get away from here"

I will kill them all, all souls will be free.

"I-Irena, that's a red portal!? Don't walk towards it, are you nuts!? Fuck!"

The room was void. Not white or black. It was colorless. I was there with Monad, my creator.

It was an enigma, a paradox that defied understanding. Unfathomable and mysterious, its existence seemed impossible. Yet despite this, Monad had always been there. Its being was felt in everything, and at eve- "Agghhhh!"

I felt a sharp pain in my head and everything went black.

Mental debuff has expired

Mental fortitude has returned to Lv.9

 

------

 

My head hurts... What in the fuck just happened...? Everything...so dark...spinning.

"Agh....ahghggg-----agh........." A voice. I heard a moan from somebody.

A dark room. Torches illuminate. Orange everywhere, the color of sin. Gluttony is felt in the air. Blood.

"H-help..." The voice sounds again.

I look up. A small girl on the ground looked back at me. Tears in her eyes. Blood coming from her nose. Her leg twisted in a grotesque form. At her side, a humanoid creature stood. Its body was covered with sharp cuts. Blades were in every single one of its extremities. Its mouth was full of teeth. It seemed to be devouring my companion's guts.

Intestines were scattered everywhere, from the ground to the walls. Is all this blood and intestines hers or mine...? Blood comes from me too.

"H-Help...." My companion cries again.

I gradually stand up, fire surges from my arms. A dagger was in my hands. The creature let my companion guts and instead looked at me, It then did something similar to a smile.

My hands started shaking. It's this fear... What is this...? Where I am...? I remember the-

Everything seemed to go in slow motion. One second I was facing the creature and the other it disappeared. My left arm went flying and I fell to the ground.

I looked at my side, the extremity attached to me during all my life was suddenly gone, a perfectly clean cut was-

"Kekekekekek...."

I look up. The creature from before smiled at me with its innumerable teeth. From the ground, it seemed enormous. Upon seeing its figure only one thought remained. I need to survive.

Flames burned stronger from my right arm and what was left of my left arm. I rapidly roll and stand up. My eyes fixed on the creature.

"kekekekekeke...."

I didn't dare to move. I didn't even take my eyes off it.

"kekekekeke..."

The creature moved a little its feet and suddenly it disappeared just like before. However this time my arm didn't go flying. I had moved to the side and release all the mana I could in the fire on my body. A big flame went towards the front. 

"kekekek..."

The creature appeared just some meters from me. It seemed to have been hit by it and began trying to extinguish the fire with its arms. Something in me told me that wasn't even a scratch for it. 

I turned around a began running toward the small girl on the ground. Fortunately, the creature seemed occupated by the fire.

"kekeke..."

Is it playing with me, that definitely didn't do anything? Doesn't matter, I need to survive. 

I take the now unconscious girl on the ground in my arms and began running with all my strength. 

"kekeke..."

The entity had already extinguished the fire and now was looking at me with a smile. Its figure started fading away in the darkness as I kept running with all my strength. Once I couldn't see it anymore, I took from my bag one of the red potions and put all its contents into the girl's mouth as I kept running. 

I couldn't tell anymore which path I was taking. This place seemed like a labyrinth.

Just what in the world happened...? Where I am......?

7