April Fool’s Day
1.4k 6 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[A/N:Remember what day it is today folks.]

My eyes went to the top of the building, it was a three-story apartment building, decrepit too, the cracks and seams bristled the walls. I hooked my arm onto the lip of the window on the first floor and started climbing. It was annoying, it was difficult, with each step sucking out much of my energy. But after half an hour of slow and steady climbing, I was on the only floor in the building that had a dim light blinking out of it. 

He was sleeping on his couch, and from what lay on the table it was an alcohol-induced stupor. I brought out my butcher's knife that hung off my hip along with a chloroform spray.

Wedging it down the middle of the two-part window, I ground against the wood, the old and slightly rotted wood easily gave way. The window was not open, but I had separated the wood enough that I was able to start on the sides of the lock pins. 

Within fifteen minutes the hinges were no longer part of the window. I pushed the window open. A low sound came, I froze, blood drained from my face as I turned to the source, a small radio chugging along at low volume to entertain a long-asleep man. 

Stepping in slowly, I took out my spray and started work. It was chloroform and it was not as great as the movies made it seem, but I had no other option. Sure I could kill the man but if some Bat dressed super-spandex-ian came in, I would be shunted off into Arkham at worst or put into some other metal institute under heavy drugs that would make me forget who I am at worst. 

Tiptoeing over to the man with bare feet I reached the man and took out my handkerchief. Pulling open my spray's cap I dunked the whole of the chloroform into it. The smell was pungent but it would be masked by the alcohol. That man's belly was protruding like a pregnant woman's and he was covered in a sweater. That was good. I placed the chloroform handkerchief on it. It should take about five minutes before he was knocked out for good but that was just the insurance. My job was not robbery but rather murder. 

And killing him was a bad idea because of the Bat furry. At least killing him myself. I shifted along to the key hanger built into the shelf next to the door. Pulling it open gave me what I wanted. A key to the apartment. Dragging it out almost soundlessly I checked my watch, it had barely been a minute. So I glanced over to the joint kitchen, with my eyes on the stoves. The pipes were there, ready to pump cooking gas.

A smile dawned on my face. Walking over to the switches I flicked all of them off, and closed the windows. Checking the ventilation, there was little of it. One little hole in the bathroom had a tiny flap window, I climbed over the cupboard and flicked it down. 

The apartment was now in complete darkness. Good. 

Then I made my way back to the kitchen, slowly pulled the stove back, grabbed at the pipe in with the help of my dim phone light, and with my knife started gnashing the metal ring that made it airtight. It was not coming off, so I wedged the tip of my knife slightly underneath the metal and pricked a hole in it. Gas started to leak out. All this was done to make sure that everyone thought that it was not deliberate. 

Checking my clock again it had been fifteen minutes. 

I took my chloroform-drenched handkerchief off the man's 9-month belly and pocketed it before seeing myself out the front door. There weren't any cameras in this old apartment so I was essentially home-free. 

Walking out of the apartment, I was greeted by the full moon. It was the sole presence in the Sky. The stars had long been made invisible by the smoke that Gotam spewed out on the daily. 

I turned to the streets walking slowly, not afraid of the punks that walked the streets and dingy corners of this city. Alas, it was not long before I spotted a group of young hot blooded gang men, I skipped them, they were too young for the job. Then just a block down the road I met a crew of older men smoking, they were part of a gang, and since they were so casual? Probably Penguin's. My feet carried me to them. 

One of them turned to me, he was bulky, three times as tall and probably four times as heavy, his dull eyes looked tired of life and that barely shaved beard did him no favors, still, he spoke up, "A masked missy? And what do you want?"

I took out the key to the apartment, and dangled it in front of him, "The old Lami's building, the topmost apartment. I want half the loot." 

His brows raised as a smile graced his lips, "Oh good deal but why should we not just take it fro—" I cut him off by taking out a child's two-bit camera and flashed him the first pic, a mascot Penguin holding a letter. He clamped up.

"Fine," he frowned, pissed that I denied him. Still, he took out a lighter and a cigarette, he eyed his buddies, they nodded, and started walking past me. One even shoved me. I did not react. 

After they were all past me I said, "Remember not to kill him, we just want the stuff."

I did not see it, and I did not turn to see it but I could feel his face turning back to look at me with a savage smile. He planned to teach me a lesson. So simple, these guys were. Tell them to do something and offer them a good deal and they will still try to spite you. A smile formed on my lips, what good boys they were. 

Once they were out of sight. I started on my way again. 

I did not stop waking till the sound of an explosive woke up the whole of Gotham. And as I turned to the source I saw the same apartment I had left earlier tonight.

Those idiots brought a light cigarette into the building. 

It was one of two outcomes really, either they killed him to spite me or they died with him.

I took out my flip phone and dialed the number that read, H, my handler, he picked it up, "Job done." 

Only the sound of his breaths mixing in with static came for a good minute, "...That explosive?" A sharp breath, "Alright…I have your payment." 

"Good." 

[A/N: Alright, there was no chapter the previous week because of many overlapping reasons, one: I was ill, two: I have uni exams, three: there was a looming festival. Sorry. 

This is not a cannon chapter, toady is April First A.K.A April Fool's day. Hence this. 

I am glad for all the support. This chapter feels weirdly light doesn't it? Like Mira is going through a casual Monday, well that should tell you how she is.]

57