1-2 prologue-part 2
797 9 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, Jethro decided to go back and explore the woods, and figure out this magic bracelet and the new appearance it brings. He approaches his mom who is currently talking and busy on the phone, “Um, can I go back to the woods today?” “Sure thing, eggy,'' his mom says dismissively, not ever making eye contact. Walking into the forest with purpose, Jethro came to a stop by the pond where he originally found the bracelet and closed his eyes. He imagined his other self that they had begun to find a fascination in while firmly grasping the bracelet. Opening them Jethro looked in the pond and found the face she had seen just yesterday. “Wow, It wasn't just my imagination! I turned into a girl!”, she said in astonishment. Looking at the sword she thought, ”this is like those magical girl shows I saw on tv. That must mean I have to fight evil and, wait d-do i have magic? How would magic even work?” As she pondered her new situation, she took her blade out of the scabbard. It was a rapier, long, and incredibly light. It could easily slash and thrust through the gaps of one’s armor, and its lack of mass would give speed. Looking at a tree nearby she took a swing at the tree hitting and breaking off a fist sized chunk of wood. ”Wow!”, she said while examining the now missing chunk of tree. Swinging again she managed to hit the same spot and out came another chunk, ”this is so cool, I have my own sword!”, she says with complete elation. Attempting to cut down the tree completely, she swung her sword at it but soon noticed something approaching from above. Stopping and looking at it she notices a fly coming from behind her, yet she notices she doesn’t actually hear or see it, ”I can feel the fly?” Jethro tries to focus on the sensation and is immediately met with an inner turmoil that boils over into a mild migraine. “I can sense it just over there? What?! It’s indescribable. Like I just know where it is? Is this a magical girl power of mine?”, instead of resting to ride out the migraine to comprehend the new sensations, she tries to look cool like a magic girl and she swings to cut the fly in two. However, as she swung at the fly, just before the sword made contact a small bit of electricity came forth zapping the bug, making a loud crack and pop, and startling her to the point that she stumbled back a little into another tree,”did my sword just zap a bug?” And with a 6 year old’s curiosity, she reached down to poke her blade and she felt an electric shock run up the length of her arm causing her to nearly drop the sword, “Wow! A zappy-sword.” She proceeds to then keep poking it, repeatedly yelping from the zapping sensation, before her arm grows slightly numb and she stops. “Hmmm, so my main magic ability is the zappy sword! And also that weird feeling that tells me where stuff is.” She decides to try and sense something else, closing her eyes to focus. Almost like a soft buzz filling her skull, she can feel the very crackle of electricity emanating from the nearest bunny hiding in its burrow, sensing the signals running through its heart and body as it breathes and moves. She softly approaches the burrow while focusing on the bunny hoping to get an even better picture, but then another bunny appears, and three more, suddenly the migraine comes back and it's too much once more. Her eyes snap open as she backpedals and lets out a large breath, “That’s going to take some work! Even focusing on more than one gives me a headache.” She thumbs her chin, “Hmmm….what should I call it? I know! It’ll be called Super Sense! Because I can detect things without seeing or hearing them!” Jethro declares this proudly. “Super sense! Super sense™! Super SENSE!!” Repeating it a few times, she begins to blush a little, “Maybe the name needs some work.” Looking down at her sword and thinking about her super sense, her lips press into a thin line, and she makes a determined face, “I’m going to train and become the best magical girl!”

 

What awaited Jethro was the worst start to a training montage ever. Focusing her blade, she attempts to do a spinning diagonal cut in order to cut two trees at once in a cool manner; not remembering that she had only been taking chunks out of them earlier as opposed to any actual cuts, and that she is six. She immediately trips on her own feet and in her fall, smacks the flat of the blade into her face, letting out a yelp as a shock runs through her skull and down her spine, leaving her temporarily paralyzed and in pain for whole moment, “jkjdl;fkdf!” If anyone were to witness Jethro they would not find a spin into a stumbling seizure, the most elegant first attempt at swordsmanship. “Maybe some metube videos would help. I should also watch as many magical girl shows as I can to help.” Taking out her ipod, she goes to metube and watches a video by Skull Mask. While watching the video, she follows along with it and she learns how to actually hold her sword. She then makes another attempt to cut the tree mimicking the ministrations of the video. Right hand over left, left foot pointed forward, right foot back, shoulder width apart, and at 90 degrees, lifting it straight up without going past the top of her head, and then! Bringing her arms down while pivoting her hips, she makes a simple and direct diagonal slash at the tree; this time actually digging into the tree about a foot into the trunk. A feeling of triumph fills her as she makes her first successful cut, proud that she swung the sword so well even with her six year old stature. However the feeling is short lived as she soon realizes that the blade is now stuck in the tree not returning as easily as it sunk in. She wraps her hands around the cross guard and digs her heel into the base of the tree and starts pulling as hard as she can. The sword suddenly gives way and she falls over. Getting back up she examines the tree, “Oh my god! I managed to cut like ¼ of the tree. I must be really good at this!” She then spends the next hour experimenting with her blade, attempting various cuts and motions all while referencing the metube videos. Of course she can’t help but goof around and may attempt a few “cool” moves. (A 540 degree jumping upward cut is not completely unnecessary!)

Deciding to go back to training her new super sense, she goes back to the bunnies and closes her eyes and she focuses on just one of them. Her migraine starts to come back with the other bunnies appearing in her senses but she's prepared for it and tries to fight through the feeling. In the end her efforts would fail as her concentration completely breaks, leading to quickly losing track of the bunnies and only receiving a headache in return. She decides to call it quits for today and heads back home, a little numb, a little tired, but mostly content with her new powers. “This bracelet is so cool!” She then touches it while thinking about wanting to change back and just as she expected, Jethro appears as himself again. This time though a feeling of unease crawls up his spine but he ignores in favor of basking in the afterglow of his successful training day. He can’t wait to go home and tell his parents! 

But oh would she regret even trying in the first place.

 

 

24