38th Fragment – Johann’s Past
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arisa is looking at the floor while holding her head. She breathes slowly, carefully inhales and exhales, then does it once again profoundly. When everything felt better, she stood straight again and looked at Johann with a glazed look.

 

“Back then, I didn’t understand myself. How can the only child of a certain father be so calm when I saw him as a corpse like that.”

 

Johann is listening carefully. If his childhood friend had reasonable reasons for asking him to stop doing all this, then at least he should have listened to her first.

 

Arisa continued, “Just like human emotions closely related to other external factors. I fell to the point where I could no longer feel at all. Who knows since when? Maybe the final trigger was when my father died, which didn’t affect me at all. Or perhaps, my feelings have deteriorated long before that.”

“…emotional detachment, right? It’s only my guess since I’m not an expert. But, anyone could tell that he was not a good father. He abandoned you, Arisa.”

 

Arisa nods weakly. “Like what you said, Johann. When he passed away, I realized we had no genuine connection between father and daughter. Yet, I can’t comprehend the concept of human relationships afterward.”

“Because of that, you are immersed in information about human emotions and feelings.”

“That’s right. I’m trying to understand it. However, in the end, I could only understand it theoretically, not actually feeling it.”

“...Then, you’re are wrong all this time, Arisa. How could you understand how I feel about my Dad? We have a genuine bond, unlike you!”

Johann almost screamed at Arisa while trying to restrain the big urge contained in his heart.

 

“About that—”

“You really don’t know what happened, do you? The media reported that accident only for a short while and quickly overtaken with this stupid humanity’s development to go to the past. Listen carefully, Arisa. Crave it inside your ears. I’ll tell you what happened.”

 

The bespectacled man begins his story.

 

A few years after his last meeting with Arisa at the hospital, Johann has grown into a teenager skilled with his programming ability primarily related to communication rings, thanks to his father’s upbringing.

So, Johann often handled various kinds of research or freelance work related to information security systems, especially cryptography.

 

“Join me to have a meeting with a client. We need a quick brief related to the project we will handle together with Dad’s team.”

“Okay, Dad. I’ve prepared some related materials that might be useful at the meeting.”

“Great. You’re so reliable, Johann.”

 

Choosing to study independently while his father fully supported his interest, Johann continues to give his best for his contribution to the team. At a relatively young age, Johann got experience in helping and handling various programming, mainly concerning network security.

The political elites quickly heard about the team’s success led by Johann’s father. So, they also invited them to participate in handling more prominent projects, which mainly aimed at the planet’s wellbeing.

Anyone knows if earth which has been solely a home of humanity since the beginning of time is on the brink of destruction. So, humanity, known for its resilience, is finding a way to solve problems and save itself in the long run. Time travel is one of the ideas which they want to realize soon.

Still, it is a mysterious realm for humankind. It’s like a sailor in the past who sailed the oceans to discover a new world. It definitely takes perfect preparation so humans would remain safe and return alive.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, I’ll say it once again. There are still many spots that haven’t been ventured yet related to the Records of the Past. I understand that the idea of ​​implementing the Records of the Past program is crucial for this trip to be a successful one. However, we also can’t take big risks if we know that the program still has many flaws in its algorithmic structure,” Johann’s father protested at the time travel conference.

“We understand your concern, Mr. Bascio. Therefore, our team is still doing its best to follow up on any issues related to the Records of the Past. When we are ready to send the masses to the past, we will ensure that this program will be safe to use.”

“No. That won’t do. As the head of network security system development, I can’t allow something incomplete and not secure as the basis of a vital human project.”

Someone raised their hand to interrupt. “Mr. Bascio, I understand your concern considering your other position as a member of the System Security Institute outside this project. With all due respect, I want to remind you that we are really short on time right now. I’m afraid that focusing too much on improving the Records of the Past algorithm will delay the project execution, and the earth will turn worse to the point of no return.”

 

Sitting next to his father, Johann could only hear and express his own opinion deep inside his mind. The conference where important people gather and debate their opinions is undoubtedly not the right place for someone who lacks experience like him.

He could only watch his father trying to convey the essential points in this forum until it ended and disbanded for today so that the great project of humankind would still secure and prevent any casualties.

 

When the two of them return to their room, Bascio takes a deep breath.

 

“What’s the matter, Dad?”

“You see… I don’t know if you understand or not. However, as we witnessed earlier, the other committee insists on continuing this project. As expected, there is a separate plan behind it.”

“Is it really true?”

 

His father accessed the projection between them with low-quality video footage playing on it. Johann did not fully understand what his father was trying to say but quietly listened to what was in front of him. 

 

“…allegedly someone detected a significant transaction of resources for energy in enormous sums for the sake of a time travel project. Since this is practically the interest of the whole world, most of these transactions will not be charged due to a particular treaty between the authorities.

It is suspected that there is a big game behind the said transaction involving the political elite because they also want those resources for later uses.”

Johann’s father nodded. “In other words, the political elite doesn’t care about the success or execution of this project. The most important thing for them is how this project acts as a gateway to do their agenda.”

“For example, if something fatal happened—”

“They wouldn’t care.”

 

Johann finally understands why his father stands firm in his opinion about the Record of the Past as the safety net for volunteers who are going to make the journey. For him, the conspiracy between the political elites should not exist in earth’s final days.

Johann feels bitter knowing that. He reaffirms himself to help his father to ensure the Records of the Past will be perfect and genuinely safe.

 

One month later, when Johann is out elsewhere.

There is a mysterious explosion at the network security assurance team’s research facility. Bascio Accialini was also trapped in a building filled with black smoke that blocked the oxygen for those who inhaled it.

 

The fire brigade quickly evacuated the trapped people while calming down the fire. The police union was also present to block the access for the unauthorized party until Johann ran and bumped into one of the police.

 

“Let me in! My Dad is still there!”

“Hey, watch out! It’s hazardous there! Let the fire brigade take control of the situation!”

“Dad!”

 

The incident had taken the only member of Johann’s family from him. Authorities officially declared the death of Baccio Accialini and his team members, who were charred by fire. The officers immediately investigated to uncover the mystery that took those unfortunate souls. Of course, the media are trying their best to gather as much information as possible, but that’s how far they can go.

 

Johann noticed that his dinner table at home was lonelier than usual without his father being around. He tried to keep everything together year after year, yet the vast hole deep inside his heart will never be gone. At the same time, Johann is slowly learning to live alone until an electronic message enters his communication ring. It’s a message with high-level encryption and distinctive security patterns.

Johann adjusted his glasses since the pattern was familiar. Using knowledge from his father, he immediately decrypted the data he had just received, only to discover that it contained a video from his father.

 

“If this video reaches you, Johann, it means they have successfully erased my existence, I’m afraid. If that’s the case, I’m a bit regretful of humanity’s current situation.”

“…Dad.” Johann is calling out to his father in his hoarse voice. However, this is just a video and not a two-way communication and just a late message from him, who is no longer around in this world.

“Looking back at the current humanity’s biggest project’s developments turns out that it is impossible for a researcher like me to try to stop the political agenda. Humanity’s journey to the past will continue no matter what.”

 

Johann’s father massaged the bridge of his nose for a moment.

 

“… I’m sorry for not being able to protect myself, Johann. This conspiracy is too big for Dad to fight alone. It’s to be expected that there are members of the police on their side, so it’s better that you watch this video just for yourself.”

 

Johann’s chest gradually tightened. Still, he had to listen to the message to the end.

 

“From now on, I think it’s better that you make your best contribution to the survival of this planet. It’s up to you which path you choose, Johann. For example, if you want to join the trip to the past, that’s alright. As long as you understand the risks of your decisions.”

 

The bespectacled man bit his lower lip.

 

“It’s the best for you to distance from the corrupt system of this world, my son. Be a good citizen and watch how humankind creates their miracles.”

 

Johann looked down at the floor blankly. Gradually, something popped out of his chest. A strong feeling from the innermost of his heart rejects the idea of ​​avoiding any risk to stay safe, even from his father.

 

“What the hell? No, you’re mistaken, Dad. I can’t fully agree with Dad’s advice this time, I’m sorry. I bet those bastards who killed you are still alive, enjoying their dirty money without concern for this planet’s condition.”

 

From that moment, a firm determination enveloped whole Johann’s mind. Even though his father’s last will asked him not to fight back against anything, he had to channel his grudge.

0