41st Fragment – A Single Bad Day
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The situation in the city's east and center is indeed never crossed the original residents' imagination. A tsunami came from the plateau originally from the dam, along with debris, boulders, and trees pushed with a strong current. One hit and anyone could die instantly.

Perhaps some divine forces brought the flood to the mountain without warning?

Instead, it's the consequence of one man's anger.

Several houses and buildings in the area closest to the dam are currently asleep. Perhaps the ones who notice that the disaster is coming upon the city are the dam administrator. And yet, most of them died or disappeared because of the sudden destruction of the massive wall itself. Thus, the civilians carrying out their night activities were not expecting the deluge to hit the entire city's northern region at any minute.

It doesn't stop there as the flood still flows to the city's center. The Major River that divides the town in half cannot contain the massive water flows. All buildings, trees, and people that happened to be on the water bank were sunk by the current.

 

Arisa couldn't stop looking out the car window while she was on the way. She couldn't get her mind off her family's safety back home. She always hoped that they were all safe. Rita, who saw her, takes one of Arisa's hands and holds it tightly.

At the very least, the flood doesn't cover the entire city. Thus, Mr. Davide could drive his car, speeding non-stop from the east side of the center area.

 

"We'll be there soon, Arisa. Hopefully the people who are important to us will be fine," Rita whispers.

"…thank you," Arisa replied shortly.

 

The girl wearing an ice cream-shaped hair ornament takes her smartphone out. Arisa's slender fingers pressed the touch screen to contact her family. It's just how long Arisa wants to wait, there's no answer from the other side.

Rio and Valerie are busy accessing the latest information, both from official media and from the Ringnet. Sufficiently severe damage was continuously reported from the volunteers who survived and were still in the evacuation process. There are also complaints that some other volunteers could not be reached with the said ring.

It's quite evident that there are missing and deceased victims due to the accident… I hope they are found quickly and are still alive, Rio thought.

He roughly shifted the projection display in front of him to look for relevant information for him and his friends. However, reports of damage and loss keep popping up, making Rio even hastier in processing the data.

 

"Rio. Calm down a bit."

"I know, Val. I can only hope for the best in a situation like this. I really dont know… what to do." Rio closes the projection of his ring and leans back without so much energy left on the front passenger seat.

 

Just like Arisa, Valerie and Rita also take out their cell phones to contact their respective past families. However, there was one thing Valerie realized. His phone couldn't make the call either due to a signal problem.

 

"Suddenly no signal?" Valerie shouted as he rechecked his cell phone.

"You're right. Now, my cellphone can't contact anyone anymore," Arisa added while showing her screen.

Rita didn't understand at all. "Why? A few minutes ago, Arisa's phone dial tone was still connected."

Rio's gaze catches the massive round object at the far north end, emitting its flash of light that is still moving like a wave. "This is just my guess… but, the satellite seems to be interfering with signals that are not for our ring."

"No wonder my handy-talkie was suddenly cut off. My phone is also no more. As I thought, the satellite was the cause, damn it," Mr. Davide cursed.

 

Before long, the car arrived at the end of the traffic jam. Many vehicles ahead stop and watch from afar what is happening in the city's center. Some seem to capture from afar the broken dam that had begun to recede through their cellphones. Some tried to contact their families using cell phones, but their signal was also gone. 

Rio goes out of the car, followed by the others.

 

"As you can see, the road is blocked by various things. For sure, we can go to the northern side as you aware," muttered the head of the police division.

"Then, we will try to return without any vehicle from here. Thank you for bringing us here, Sir." Rio nodded respectfully.

"Okay. Be careful. The situation is pretty dire."

 

The four of them nod and run on each their own, heading for their respective homes as quickly as possible.

 

Valerie headed south of the city, close to the station. As far as he is concerned, the flood's damage was insignificant. Only puddles of water slowly flow in various places, carrying debris swept away by the current. According to the information he accessed back in the car, there were no casualties as far as he knew. Several vehicles could still pass through the mini river that had just formed to evacuate themselves.

When he arrived in front of his house, his two sisters were in the yard and trying to contact him. Alana—the older sister, dashes to hug Valerie.

 

"You're okay, Valerie… Did you hurt somewhere?"

"We've been trying to call your cellphone. But, our phone signals were gone not long after the dam broke. How strange," Nia added as calmly as possible. However, Valerie could still see that her body was shaking a little.

"The important thing is, I'm now safe and unharmed. I'm sorry to make you worry, everyone, " said Valerie casually with an assuring smile.

 

His two sisters smiled in relief as Nia hugged Valerie before they entered the house. Fortunately, the situation around them was better than those in the north. Thus, Valerie feels he does not need to evacuate himself.

After all, Johann has been arrested by Sato. I hope the danger will be no more.

 

Rita got a similar situation to Valerie. She couldn't help but feel very relieved when grandma was still in her favorite seat, looking out the window. Her house is in the southwest of the city, the safest place from everything that has happened.

 

"…Rita. Have you arrived home?" asked the old woman in a low voice.

"Yes, it's me. I'm home, grandma."

"Gosh, do you know about this? Earlier, I heard a loud voice from the north. The dam really broke this time, huh? Are you okay, Rita? Grandma has checked this house, there is no damage at all. Fortunately."

 

Rita approaches grandma and hugs her. She tries her best to keep her tears around her eyes when she knows that grandma is always okay. Her hand gripped the senior's shoulder tightly.

Sensing that, grandma smiled. She returned Rita's hug and stroked the girl's back gently.

 

Elsewhere, at the same time.

Rio runs to his house, located in the west of the city, as he passes some places still flooded with brown-colored water. He can see a lot of things around him in a messy state because it was swept away by the current. Because of the same reason, cars or motorbikes cannot move in this area. Some people were also seen evacuating to get away while carrying their belongings in the dark because of the blackout.

 

"The city has turned into this state… This is crazy. If we could realize my idea sooner, something like this could still be prevented."

 

…or not? Not even genetically-engineered plants can withstand the impact of the sudden appearance of a communication satellite like that.

However, there is nothing we can do right now. So, my current priority is to be reunited with my family and secure ourselves.

 

He had a bad feeling because the flood in this place reached most of the area and got a heavy current. Several times Rio had tripped and almost got swept away by the brown water as he tried hard to regain his footing. He presses his teeth together, and his hands clenched into fists. Rio is still breaking through the current that hindered his steps from reaching his destination.

 

"Finally… arrived."

 

His house looked pitch black as he examined every corner of the place. He can see the damages on the property, albeit not large enough to collapse the house. His yard was flooded, so Rio struggled to reach the front door.

He used his shoulder to open the door and went inside. As far as his phone's flashlight could reach, he could see that the water had flooded the house too. 

 

"Father! Mother! Nando and Vemia! Are you all right?" shouted Rio.

"Rio? Is that really you?"

 

Arnando appeared from behind the darkness and ran as he could to hug Rio. After a few seconds, he burst into tears, expressing his emotions after what he has been through. Rio quickly hugs him and comforts his little brother.

 

"Okay, it's alright. Nando. Now I'm here, it's safe now. Are you alone here?"

"When there was a very loud noise from the dam and the flood came into the house, Mom and Dad went out to pick up Vemia."

"Vemia…where did she go?"

"I don't know. She's been out from this afternoon."

 

Rio felt something invisible choking his neck, and even his saliva is very difficult to swallow. All possibilities, mostly the worst ones, come across his mind. He shakes his head slowly, pushing away those unnecessary thoughts as he hugs Arnando tightly before letting him go.

 

"Wait a minute. I'll try to contact Mom and Dad," said Rio, and Arnando nodded.

 

When he opened his cell phone, he saw a red notification sign.

 

That's right. Earlier we couldn't use our cellphones because the satellite was jamming our signal. Damn it! Should I search for them outside? It's better not. I don't know where Mom and Dad are. Plus, it's unsafe for me to move in this total blackout.

 

"Nando. I'm going up to the roof to get a signal. Maybe this phone can be connected later. You stay here."

 

Rio moves fast to go outside the house while carefully watching his steps. Rio's residence doesn't have a second floor, so he had to think of a way to search for signals in a high place.

His mind is telling him that there might be something that could help him in the warehouse. When Rio inspected the dusty room, a folding ladder was tucked away in the warehouse's corner. He immediately used it to access the roof and find a safe spot to stand. When Rio found a secure location, he opened his phone again. 

Rio briefly shakes his phone above his head before rechecking the signal condition. Apparently, not much different from a few minutes ago.

 

"Come on… where's the signal…."

 

Rio is aware that his attempts were perhaps wholly futile. The stranded satellite may transmit a signal frequency covered throughout Tantoris so that their cell phones cannot perceive the signals wherever people are. Rio doesn't know what else to do at this point.

Suddenly his cellphone vibrated because of the many incoming short message notifications. Apparently, it was texts from his parents. His cell phone was finally able to pick up the signal, even though it was feeble and almost non-existent.

Rio decided to call his mother immediately and hoped that her cell phone also happened to have a signal.

 

"Come on, come on…."

 

A connected call pops out, along with a commotion coming from the other end. Rio quickly put the phone on his ear to better capture what was happening there. The call finally connected!

 

"Mother? Hello, Mother? You can hear me, right?"

 

No response. Only the sound of people calling for help, seeking shelter, and anguished screams.

 

"Hello! Mother! Please answer! Father?! Is Father over there too?!"

 

Rio calls out with all his might, hoping that an answer will await on the other side. His mind doesn't want to guess the worst that might happen to his past parents.

Another faint voice could be heard amidst the noise of chaos, like calling for someone.

 

"…–io. Rio."

"Mother! This is you, right? Mother, are you okay?!" Rio couldn't control his tone anymore. His chest feels tight at the thought of how his mother is doing. "Yes, this is Rio, Mother. Where are you now? How's Father? Does Vemia safe too?"

 

Rio can hear the voices of residents seeking help and helping each other on the other side again. There was no answer from mother. Rio was still trying to wait a little longer. Maybe the situation there is dangerous. Still, he can't wait since he worries that his cell phone signal will be gone at any moment.

 

"…thank goodness you're okay… Mother and father here are fine too…."

 

Rio sighed in relief heavily. His mind gets a little calmer when he knows his past parents are safe. He gives a hand gesture as a sign to Arnando in the yard that everyone is okay.

 

"So, Come back soon, Mother. Nando is very scared here and we are waiting for the three of you."

"Rio... about that–"

 

There was a sob from the other side. Rio doesn't understand why his mother suddenly cries. His head felt frantic again, listening to his parents of the past.

The call was cut off when Rio wanted to say something because the signal disappeared again.

Rio put the phone back in his pocket with a blank stare. He looks up, seeing the clear night sky with many stars because almost half of the city has lost its power.

It's indeed a beauty amidst this chaos.

0