43rd Fragment – An Old Friend I
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sky is quite clear this day. Arisa is holding her chin while looking out of the window. The chirping birds that had crossed her line of sight made her thoughts blurry for a moment, and then she quickly came back to her senses from her daydream. 

Her eyes catch the warm evening light enveloping the town from one side of her classroom. When Arisa turns her gaze slightly, she can see a city dam that is no longer in shape with a giant black sphere inside. The ball was silent, no longer emitting lights that moved like waves on its surface.

 

"From afar, it's not beautiful anymore," Arisa muttered.

 

Several months had passed since the big accident in the city caused by a satellite that was originally not from this era. The town could be said to have calmed down again. The electricity that had been cut off in Tantoris has been resolved by supplying it from another place. Construction for the city's restoration is also underway as the people are busy going back to their respective activities. More or less, everything has returned to normal.

 

"Arisa, let's go home?"

"Oh, right. Sure, let's go," Arisa responded.

"Yeah, let's, let's. Or maybe we can stop by somewhere first?"

 

Nita greets from behind as Arisa turns around. Tesa is right beside her with a backpack already on her back. Seeing that her two friends seem ready to go, she puts her books on the table and stands up to follow her friends.

 

"I don't know if I will stop by somewhere. But, I'll follow you two to the school gate," said Arisa.

"Oh, I see. No problem. Come on!" cheered Nita, who walked first.

"Eh, wait a minute, Nita. Don't leave me!" 

 

The three walked down the aisle, bustling with students rushing home. Some run to the canteen or club room to do other activities, while Nita and Tesa joke with Arisa, who occasionally chimes in and laughs together.

When they arrived at the school gate, two tiny figures stood there and looked at the three. One tends to avert his eyes while the other stares flatly as usual. Apparently, they had been waiting for Arisa to leave class.

 

"Vanilla, Tirto," greets Arisa shortly. Then, she turns to her friends. "I'll part with you here. There is a place I need to visit with my siblings."

Nita and Tesa nod almost simultaneously. "Alright, Arisa. See you later. Be careful on the way."

 

They parted while waving their hands. Then, Arisa strokes her siblings' heads before they go together to a corner of the city.

It is a public cemetery dedicated to victims of the dam accident several months ago, located on the city's east. The graveyard is approximately 50,000 square meters and was made as quickly as possible for the last tribute to victims. Arisa's parents are no exception.

After paying their respects for a few minutes, the three of them walk to the exit, and Arisa sees three familiar figures there.

 

"Arisa," greets Rio.

"Rio, Valerie and Rita. It's a coincidence that we meet here."

"Yeah. I don't expect that we could meet here," said Rita with a sweet smile.

"Rita and I only accompanied Rio to visit this place. He said he wanted to go here after work," Valerie added nonchalantly.

"Yeah. I just finished visiting Vemia," added Rio.

"Vemia…" Vanilla mumbled lightly, "Big sis, I want to visit Vemia first."

 

Arisa nods as the little girl goes to the mentioned grave, followed by her brother behind. The four people from the future stare at Vanilla and Tirto until they are out of sight.

 

"By the way, this is the first time we meet since the dam accident happened. How have you been?" asked Arisa kindly.

"Everything goes as usual. My family has accepted that Vemia is gone for good. Sometimes, Mother is still missing her, but that was it. We can't always look back and drown in sorrow, right? This planet is still moving and should as we," Rio replied with a small smile. Valerie pats Rio's shoulder from behind and embraces him.

"Just like what you said, bro. Just accept it deep inside your heart and it will feel lighter and better!"

"I know that, Val. Now, let me go."

"I won't."

 

She, who wears an ice cream-shaped hairclip, giggles a bit at Rio and Valerie.

 

"Arisa, how about you?" Rita is worried about Arisa. Who knows that she is still shaken by what happened at that time.

"I'm feeling better now. Thank you for asking, Rita."

"I'm glad that you're okay. Just tell me if you need someone to talk with." Rita breathed a sigh of relief. 

"Hehe, that's how it is. Besides, there's one more thing I need to give you."

 

The three pairs of eyes focus on Arisa, who is smiling meaningfully. No, it's not the manipulation of facial muscle movements that she used to do all this time. That smile is something pure from deep in her heart.

The girl takes something out of her school bag and opens her hand. It's an ice cream stick-shaped keychain with green, yellow, and purple colors. Arisa gives the green one for Rio, yellow for Valerie, and purple for Rita.

 

Rio checked what was in his hand. "This is…"

"—what is this for?" continued Valerie quickly.

"Should I really say it for you what is the purpose of a keychain, Val?" quipped Rio.

 

Valerie scratched the back of his head that didn't itch while sticking out his tongue. Rita and Arisa laughed loudly, seeing the two joking around as usual.

 

"I was looking around for what would suit the three of you. After a few minutes of consideration, I finally chose this keychain, hehe. I know it's not much. But… thank you for accompanying me to meet Johann that night. I was really lucky to have you guys in my side."

 

Arisa smiles while baring her teeth. His three friends smiled back.

 

"No problem, Arisa. We used to be classmates and it's only right that I help you because of that."

"Look, Rita. Rio is acting cool in front of Arisa right now," Valerie pouted while whispering to Rita. In fact, he deliberately spoke like that so that Rio would also hear it.

"Hah?!"

"That's how it is," Valerie shrugged his shoulders, "put Rio's motivation aside, it's only right that I help a friend of my friend in need! Do you agree, Rita?"

"Yes, of course. Helping you guys stop Johann's plans to sabotage this project is like throwing a stone and hitting two birds at once—we can solve several problems at once," Rita added.

"A-ah. Thanks again, guys! But still, I think a keychain doesn't really pay it up, right?"

"Don't worry about that. I'm okay with anything you gave us. By the way, how is the condition of your Records of the Past? Has it stabilized again?" asked Rio.

"Regarding that, my Records of the Pas has returned to normal. I don't know, I really don't understand why it's like that."

 

Rio and Valerie exchanged glances and agreed in silence to let that matter be since it's been fixed anyway. Thus, Rio decided not to discuss it anymore.

As long as everything goes well as usual, then there's no need to worry anymore, he thought.

 

"So, what are you going to do from now? I heard we were advised to go back to the future when the energy accumulated in the ring is enough," Arisa asked curiously. "Maybe they were also worried about what just happened here, so the scientists suggested that we return to the future for the better."

"About that," Rio scratched the top of his head, "Val and I decided to finish our responsibilities as urban planner staff. As you see it yourself, the condition of this town is quite severe because that incident. So… we still have a lot of work to do."

"Right, right," Valerie agreed.

"Especially after this, the local government will focus on rebuilding the dam. My previous proposal will be implemented in this construction so I have to make sure for it to actually work," Rio continued.

"Ah, so that's how it is. What about you, Rita?"

"More or less, my situation is almost the same as Rio and Valerie. My division is heavily involved in reconstructing the city and supporting the dam restoration project. So, I will be just as busy as them," Rita answered.

"How about you, Arisa? I'm guessing you still want to be here until you graduate from school?" Rio guessed.

"I don't know. However, one thing is certain. I can't leave my siblings. The eldest sister should guide them to grow up into a good person, right?"

Rio smiled. "I see. If that's what you want, then, may every one of us travel safely and our contributions to the planet in the future will be meaningful. See you around, Arisa."

"Yup. See you."

As Rio and everyone else disappeared from Arisa's sight, Vanilla and Tirto returned.

"Your friends have gone home?" asked the little girl with short hair. Arisa nods.

"We're also going home, let's go," said Tirto.

"You guys go home first, okay? I still have one more thing to do."

"Ah. Why not we go home together? You can do it later, right?" said Tirto.

"Ssh, if you become a good boy, I'll buy you ice cream later. How?"

"Okay, we'll go home first. Big sis, be careful, okay?" said Vanilla swiftly, and she immediately dragged her stepbrother home.

 

Confirming that her siblings are on the way home already, Arisa rushes to the essential building in this city, which is also undergoing renovations due to the damage caused by someone earlier. She is looking for Sato when Arisa arrives so that someone can take her inside.

 

"Alright, Miss. Take your time here. If there's anything, just press your ring."

"Thank you very much, Mr Davide. However, I don't think anything could happen."

 

The door made from metal bars is closed while Arisa goes inside, and the head of the police division walks away. Mr. Davide is watching someone who sits with his arms wrapped around his legs while burying his face in between.

 

"Hi, Johann."

0