Last Fragment
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a different timeline, far in the future.

A teenage guy just woke up because of the alarm that appeared from the wall of his room, yelling around. He immediately turned it off by pressing something on the projection screen that happened to appear nearby and scratching his head lazily.

 

"It's morning."

 

Rio walks towards the bathroom and washes his face for a bit, putting on his clothes assisted by the automatic system integrated into his house in no time. Then, he prepares breakfast while reading the morning news from his ring's projection.

  

"It has been a few weeks since the return of the volunteer team. The good news about the results of this project keeps popping up," he commented with a mouth full of toast. "They also said our environment is improved somehow. Oh, where's the report…."

 

Rio accessed his ring and opened several environmental change reports with the required graphics and video documentation that ran automatically. His eyes carefully look at the information and nod firmly.

His thoughts go back to when he was about to part with his family of the past. Of course, Rio couldn't say openly that he would return to the future to everyone. However, Vemia knowing that Rio wasn't someone of the same timeline as her, made the girl whimper.

 

"I also want to the future! I want to see what the future looks like!"

 

Finally, Vemia understands if Rio has to return, and he can't bring Vemia over.

"Well, perhaps I can send some texts to her to tell Vemia that we've been alright. Good thing that she stayed behind in the past… who? Wait a moment."

 

His head spins suddenly when Rio recalls his memory. His gut feelings told him that he had said farewell to another figure other than Vemia long before returning to the future. However, Rio's memory firmly believed he only bid farewell only to his little sister of the past, not to anyone else.

His memories overlapped for a moment.

 

"…weird."

 

Rio glances at the clock on his ring's projection and quickly finishes his breakfast before going out.

 

"I'll be late if I don't hurry," he muttered as he jogged.

 

Rio's footsteps take him to the crowded downtown district. The officials adjust the atmosphere of the oxygen dome. Hence, it feels colder than usual while simultaneously smelling sweet and giving out such a refreshing feel. As far as his eye could see, everyone was enjoying the festivities vibes of the event that was currently being held.

 

"The ice cream festival this time looks fun," Rio commented.

 

Rio walks down the street and passes by several people looking at the ice cream shops and other complementary snacks. Different dessert variations are featured, along with cold snacks and several other foods. Somehow, the atmosphere itself can lift Rio's mood.

He finally arrives at the place with an automatic door opening slowly—a comfortable café with a synthetic green-colored theme. When Rio steps inside, his two friends are already waiting at one of the tables while looking at him.

 

"Well, just in time. We were just talking about you," said Valerie with a sneer.

Rita smiles sweetly. "Hi, Rio."

 

Rio just smirked in annoyance because of Valerie.

Shortly, those three were relaxing in the shady cafe atmosphere because of the plants arranged inside, originally decorated to calm anyone who entered the cafe. This place also provides a special dish for the ice cream festival, so the three don't think twice about ordering it.

 

"So, this is the first time we're meeting each other again after those busy first weeks when we first arrived from the past. How are you guys?" greets Valerie.

"Other than those troublesome reports that we have to make and adapting again to this era, it's pretty normal for me," said Rio lightly.

"Pretty much the same with me. We have been too long in the past so we forgot what it feels like to be on our own timeline. There are a few things I need to remember at first. Such as, how to activate some of the tools at my home," Rita chuckled.

 

They share more stuff to catch up and find out about each other's situation after a long busy time with administration work because of the journey to the past. At least, the great project of humankind is proven to be bearing fruit and improving the earth's condition for the better. According to later analysis, the threat of planetary destruction will not come early.

While they were chatting, three sets of cold snacks arrived. Funnily enough, each of the ice cream shapes resembled an animal. Rabbit for Rita, Ostrich for Rio, and wolve for Valerie.

Rio is tasting his ostrich for a bit. He smiles awkwardly after a few spoons.

 

"It's kind of lacking compared to the ice cream that was in the past," Rio whispers.

"Oh, I agree. It feels less… kicking," commented Valerie.

 

Meanwhile, Rita doesn't say anything and decides to take more spoons.

 

"Enjoying ice cream together like this reminds me of someone," said Valerie while swallowing his portion.

"Vanilla?" guessed Rita.

"Correct. That kid really likes ice cream, doesn't she? To the point that I thought maybe she should eat ice cream at least four times a day or she'll get sick, "said the blonde guy.

"But, I can't remember why we got to know her. He's not our family or relative of the past, is she?"

 

Rita and Valerie looked at Rio with a realizing-about-something face because of what he had just said. Then, each of them tried to dive into their respective's memories.

If none of them adopted Vanilla while on the trip to the past, why did they know the fact that Vanilla was the adopted child of the Tanjung Family? 

 

Rita suddenly remembered something. "Oh, right. There is one thing that was carried over from the past but I can't remember where I got this thing."

Rio glances over. "What's that?"

 

She opened her fist and showed an ice cream-shaped keychain. Rio and Valerie also take out the same thing when they see what Rita has to bring.

 

"Val, Do you remember where we got this keychain from? The shape is the same. Only the color is different," Rio asks.

Valerie shakes his head in confusion. "No… I have absolutely no recollection of when we got this thing."

"But what is clear for me is I feel that this object is precious and we must keep it," Rita continues.

 

Rio and Valerie nod in agreement. They agreed that the keychain never loses it, no matter what. Even though they all do not remember the origin of the little thing, their chest feels warm seeing the supposedly cold object on their hands.

Valerie got up from his seat.

 

"Where are you going, Val?"

"Whatever you're assuming me to go, yeah that's true," he smiles as he walks away.

 

Valerie immediately left the place while waving to his two friends.

It's become quiet the moment Valerie is gone. Rio and Rita were both at a loss for what to do next. Today is an ice cream festival that the whole city celebrates. So, it'll be a waste to skip this day and go back to rest.

 

"Rita."

"Y-yes?!"

"Want to see the festival together with me?"

 

Rita glances at the flustered Rio. The girl smiles and nods.

 

"Yeah, sure."

 

With beaming faces, the two leave the café to enjoy the festival together while holding hands.

0