Night Talk, Departure
177 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To avoid the pit of confusion, let's backtrack a few minutes before Rafi's consciousness returned from that dark space...

Previously, when Caster suddenly sneak attacked Rafi, Gawain then tried to save him only to be hindered by Caster's barrier. Gawain slashed at the barrier with full power, yet he didn't even manage to scratch it.

Although he hadn't activated his Noble Phantasm yet, his current power was not something a Servant could take lightly. The fact something Caster had casually constructed managed to block him was a stunner for Gawain. Even if he wanted to save Rafi, but Gawain knew he was powerless to do so without using his Noble Phantasm. However, using his Noble Phantasm would bring greater damage to surrounding area and civilians, it's something Gawain felt repulsed toward.

Due to such struggle within his heart, and some unknown influence, Gawain didn't notice his connection with Rafi was still there. What he felt at such moment was that the connection had been cut off after Caster stabbed Rafi.

At the side, Hinako Akuta was still dumbfounded by sudden turn of event and decided to act as bystander, neither helping nor interfering with each side. She had only agreed to help Rafi checking on Rukino because she felt slightly interested to them as they're similar to her. Even so she didn't want to be pulled into their personal problem. She felt it was something they needed to solve on their own.

At same time, Rin Tohsaka and Archer of Red arrived on the doorstep, looking confused at current scene. Though it didn't take them a long time to figure out the matter after looking at unconscious Rafi held by Caster and Saber who was trying to break past her defense. Archer couldn't help giving Caster a strange look as she was protecting both Rafi and Rukino who were unconscious together.

"To think it's like that. You sure are something else, Rukino..." Rin Tohsaka muttered under her breath, she was unable to hide the shock she felt after realizing Caster's true identity.

Although she felt things wasn't that simple, she couldn't help wanting to separate Rafi from Caster's grasp. It might be a little compulsive idea on her mind, but she felt it's needed as she hadn't really believe Caster at the moment. Rafi might be looking fine on the outside, but he was constantly twitching in pain, as though he was under extreme agony while he was unconscious. As such, together with Gawain, under Rin's order, Archer of Red joined to assault the barrier, both of them trying to take Rafi away from Caster.

Archer fired off several arrows made up from Noble Phantasms, exploding them when they're close up on the barrier. While Gawain kept slashing at the barrier, his attacks were infused with his Noble Phantasm which had been partially released - the searing heat of sun's fire. After several powerful clashes from both Archer and Gawain, under their combined strikes, Caster's barrier finally broke apart.

"As expected, you do have some ability, Gawain. You too aren't bad, Archer." Caster smiled lightly, her eyes still showed her calm and confidence even if her barrier had been broken.

"Tsk." Archer snorted coldly as he stared deeply at Caster. Seeing she was still able to maintain her calm despite facing both him and Gawain was a proof that she had another trump card in hand.

"Why? Why did you do it? Aren't you his partner, Lady Rukino?" Gawain muttered softly. Gawain's expression was sorrowful as he couldn't help remembering his past after seeing how Caster stabbed Rafi. It was too similar to the event which occurred back then, the betrayal that happened to the King he served in the past - the King of Knights, Artoria Pendragon.

"I have my own reason. But you can be assured that he won't be truly in danger. So can you all back off for now? I don't want you guys to interfere in this matter." Caster shook her head faintly.

"My desire for this Holy Grail War is to redeem my past mistake. If I can't even protect my Master now, what qualification that I have to redeem myself? Even if it's you, Lady Rukino, I ask you to step away from my Master now." Gawain said sternly, his stance was unyielding as he prepared another attack.

"You're all misunderstanding something here. It was Rafi himself who asked me to do that." Caster sighed. Her gaze then turned to outside the room as she suddenly smiled strangely, "This is really a lively night. Since you're already here, it meant 'they' have taken action too. It's time to step up the game."

Caster chuckled lightly as she summoned her true weapon, a crystalline bluish-green bow. Along with it, a phantasmal rainbow-colored arrow was quickly formed, nocked on the bow. With the appearance of the bow and arrow, Caster's aura changed entirely. Unsurpassed and inviolable will slowly spread from her at the center, huge pressure suddenly descended upon everyone within the room, except for Rafi and Rukino.

Holding the bow and arrow, Caster muttered softly, "Let's end this soon! [Come forth, The Realm of Everlasting Winter,...]."

"This feeling... a Divine Spirit aura?! No, this is something far greater...!!"

Archer, Gawain, and Hinako Akuta were taken aback after feeling that enormous magical energy. It was something incomprehensible to them as the Gods of previous era, the Age of Gods, should have all migrated to the Reverse Side of the World. Even if there's a Divine Spirit in the Age of Man, it should be in the form of a Servant, a spiritual entity. More importantly they would become a vessel of Gaia and Alaya, became under their supervision. It should not be a Divine Spirit with physical body with free will to boot. Because, if such creature was to let loose in the current Age of Man, it could only be a disaster.

After Caster put off her concealment spell, both Gawain and Archer immediately knew that Caster wasn't a Servant at all. Her essential factor was too different compared to a human, a Servant like Gawain and Archer, or an Incarnated Elemental like Hinako Akuta. Instinctively, they knew she was a different being compared to them, as though she came from a world which had different Laws than their world. Archer even strongly guessed that Caster was likely a Foreigner who managed to sneak into their world after avoiding Gaia and Alaya's supervision.

Outside the room, Miyamoto Musashi shivered slightly as she felt things weren't looking good. Although she didn't know how she was found out, she knew the only thing she could do now was to advance, and quickly prevent what Caster was trying to do.

It was not only Miyamoto Musashi who thought of it, the other two Servants in the room and the Incarnated Elemental, Hinako Akuta, didn't feeling too good either. Different from them, Hinako Akuta suddenly got a bad feeling that she was also included in Caster's range of attack... 'Such a misfortune!' Hinako Akuta thought, she grimaced at her luck on that night which got worse with each time passed. Even so, she still prepared herself for battle. Her figure was then clad in flaming black dress as though she had transformed into a flame fairy, holding a thin long sword on her each hands respectively.

Together with Archer and Gawain, Hinako Akuta then tried to prevent whatever Caster was casting, though they were a step late as Caster managed to complete her spell first. When the attacks from Archer, Gawain and Hinako Akuta almost reached her, Caster fired off that phantasmal rainbow-colored arrow, struck their combined attack.

"[...Blessed in Eternal Radiance of Frozen Genesis - Niflheim]."

As Caster's voice echoed softly, the whole mansion- no, even the surrounding area was so eerily quiet as though space and time was frozen. All things stopped, even their combined strike wasn't spared from it, stopping midair, became ice sculptures. Shortly after, everyone within the mansion could feel that they're being dragged into another Realm. Within that other dimension, everything was frozen solid be it trees, clouds, land, water, skies and even the sun was frozen. It was literally an icy world.

"Don't hold anything back if you don't want to die." Caster smiled lightly as she held her bow, aiming it at the group in front of her.

***

After hearing Caster's recounting of the events, Rafi couldn't help twitched a bit at how heavy-handed she handled the other party. Not only she crushed their confidence until not even dregs remained, she still played them around before finally turning them into exquisite ice sculptures...

"Hey, couldn't you just talk first before fighting? There's no need to fight at all, wasn't it?!" Rin was unable to hold herself back anymore.

After being released from Caster's spell and hearing how Caster described their total defeat so clearly to Rafi, Rin couldn't help feeling humiliated. Although she knew she was also at fault for not listening to Caster's explanation from before, she was still feeling unwell as she heard it, especially when she saw how speechless Rafi was when hearing it... adding with how Caster slightly smirked at her when she'd been telling it... she couldn't help feeling wronged.

"Hm, Rin, you still need a punishment? It was also partly your fault you know." Caster smiled lightly. Holding an iced wand, Caster currently seemed like a teacher who was scolding her disobedient students. To Rin Tohsaka, however, Caster's smile just looked so terrifying that she shivered, and decided to obediently sat in dogeza again rather being turned into another ice sculpture...

'Ahh! I just wanna hide myself!!', Rin screamed internally as she felt her face burning up with shame.

At the moment, Archer, Rin Tohsaka, Gawain, Hinako Akuta and Miyamoto Musashi were sitting right on the ground with their head hung low. They couldn't help feeling dispirited after Caster released them from the ice sculptures, and seeing Rafi woke up just fine. It felt like all what they did before was just a farce... not only the got effortlessly defeated by Caster, they had also mistaken the situation from before, leading them into their current embarrassing result.

"Master, it was my fault-..." Gawain was about to speak more before Rafi cut him off first.

"No worries. I know what's happened. Although you did a mistake, your intention was to save me, Gawain. Still, you can't be spared from a punishment later."

Gawain was finally able to relax slightly after hearing it. He had been feeling troubled to Rafi after he knew the truth. Although his intention might be good, but it's a fact that he almost disturbed Rafi. If not for Caster managed to stop him, it was likely Rafi might be in danger due to Gawain's unintentional action.

After speaking to Gawain, Rafi finally turned to Hinako Akuta. He couldn't help giving her a strange look as he remembered 'his' memories of her.

Realizing Rafi was slightly absentminded when he saw Hinako Akuta, Caster quickly pinched his waist. 'No matter what the timeline is, he's still entranced by her, huh!', Caster secretly fumed as she increased her pinch.

"Ouch!"

"Hmph." Caster slightly snorted in response to Rafi who yelped in pain.

"Ugh, I guess I have to apologize for what Caster did to you, Hinako Akuta."

"You bet! I am only an innocent bystander...!"

"Still, Caster has her own reason for doing so... you're an Elemental, there's a high possibility you will be Gaia's vessel when she was battling. The consequence would be undesirable if you're left aside back then."

"Ughh..."

"Actually, I have an idea for you. If you want to cooperate with us, I'll help you realizing your wish." Rafi said softly, he seemed to finally let go of something as his expression was a bit complicated when he spoke about Hinako Akuta's wish.

Caster was surprised when she heard his words. To think he of this timeline would do that was unthinkable for her. Remembering how 'he' was with Hinako Akuta in her original timeline, Caster couldn't help examining Rafi again. 'Hm, still, it seems a bit strange to see him like this', Caster thought silently, feeling slightly disoriented as Rafi seemed different from what she knew previously.

"You knew?! Is such thing really possible?" At the moment, Hinako Akuta strongly felt that Rafi seemed to be speaking about her true wish. Although it was a bit implausible, but after glancing at Caster, Hinako Akuta couldn't help feeling they might really be able to do it.

"Nn." Rafi nodded, tacitly acknowledging it.

"I..."

"Though, it isn't that easy. Let's talk about the details later. But you can be assured that I won't ask you to do the impossible, if you don't feel like it, you can back out after the talk."

"Hn, okay."

After temporarily settling the matter with Hinako Akuta, Rafi turned to look at Miyamoto Musashi with a faint smile, "Now then, you're clearly not supposed to be here, right, Miyamoto Musashi?"

"Ermm, I think I haven't introduced myself, or have I ??"

"Don't sweat small details. What I am curious is your reason being here, Musashi. From what I heard, you didn't have good intention toward my partner..."

"Eck...! I was forced to do this! I am completely innocent, really!" For a moment, Miyamoto Musashi seemed to see an evil grin on Rafi. Moreover, she couldn't help shivering a bit when she noticed that Caster also turned to smile at her.

"Hmm, I see, I see. So you're saying that you were being forced by Gaia and Alaya to kill Caster, right? Am I wrong?"

"Um, no, but..."

"Then you're getting beaten up even before you could do anything... you're indeed pitiful, Musashi." Rafi kept nodding, his expression seemed to show his understanding to Miyamoto Musashi's plight.

"Ah, that's right..." Although Miyamoto Musashi didn't really like that part of her getting beaten up, but it's still a fact. She couldn't really refute it, not when she had also intending to harm Caster before...

"Still, the consequence would be dreadful if you're to succeed, Musashi. It has caused me a great emotional trauma. Imagining what would happen if you're to succeed your mission... ahh, that's such a scary thing!" Rafi spoke with exaggerated expression. His face clearly said that he wouldn't let off Miyamoto Musashi no matter how she pleaded.

The face of everyone inside the room twitched slightly as their expression turned strange when they were watching Rafi acted like that. Caster seemed to faintly know what Rafi intended to do with Musashi as she shook her head slightly, getting a little headache. Even if she knew Rafi might have another reason to keep Musashi around, she highly doubted he wouldn't have other intention on his mind... at that moment, Caster deeply felt that an old habit was really hard to change. However, it was also that characteristic which made her felt more familiar with him of this timeline...

"That's why you need a severe punishment, Musashi. Or else my emotional trauma won't be healed." Rafi gave Musashi a strange look as he spoke.

"Eeehkk...?! How could it come to this?? You- shameless!" Miyamoto Musashi spoke furiously, feeling wronged at how much different she was treated compared to others. Although she knew she was also at fault, but Rafi seemed to be a kind and magnanimous person when he dealt with other people in the room. Why was his attitude so different to her...?! Well, she knew she was an outsider, but couldn't he be a little kind to the poor and pitiful her?!

"*cough* I am a completely just and fair person. Well, Caster is currently lacking a helper, how about you become her maid, Musashi?" Rafi smiled as he then glanced at Caster.

"I refu-..."

"Hmm?" Caster slightly looked at Miyamoto Musashi who was going to refuse. Although she felt it was a bit unnecessary, she wasn't going to refuse a free help. Besides, she already had an inkling to how to deal with Musashi.

"Hahaha! It's just becoming a maid, no big deal at all. I have even became a beggar and a wandering monk at some point before... *sob*... *sob*... becoming a maid... it's really no big deal... *sob*... " Seeing Caster's giving her a look, Miyamoto Musashi could only bitterly agreed. Though, she's feeling greatly aggrieved inside, her eyes couldn't help being wet slightly as she seemed to hold her tears back. Her smile looked a lot uglier than crying...

"Now then it's settled, how do we go about cleaning this messed place...? Everyone?" Rafi shot a look at everyone inside the room as he asked. The others only smiled hollowly in response, clearly feeling awkward about that matter.

"...Looks like it'll be an all-nighter for us all." Rafi sighed a little as he saw their awkward look. In the end, with the help of excellent homemaker, Archer, along with Caster's spellcraft, they managed to barely clean up and fix Luvia's mansion late at night...

Too tired from the event that night as well from fixing their mess, they decided to rest for while until morning arose. Rin returned to her room, Rafi and Caster stayed inside Rukino's room, while Hinako Akuta and Miyamoto Musashi were together in a room. Although Hinako Akuta hadn't really decided to side with Rafi and Caster, she already had some thought to it. She didn't mind helping them watch over Miyamoto Musashi in case she tried to do something. Though she had a feeling that even if Miyamoto Musashi tried something, it would only be futile effort considering the magical formation Caster had planted in and around the mansion.

***

Late that night, when everyone were supposedly to be resting, Rafi and Caster were still awake inside the room. They sat across, facing each other. After a while, Caster looked at Rukino who was in slumber before she then turned at Rafi, and asked, "What's exactly happened back there? You... seem different now after that sword merged with you."

"You didn't know?" Rafi was perplexed.

"'He' only told me to 'kill' you with that sword if my seal on you was broken, not even an explanation why." Caster rolled her eyes as she seemed exasperated when she spoke of 'him'. Unnoticed by him, Caster suddenly trembled slightly as she felt a strong rejection force from the world descended upon her, even so she was still able to maintain her calm and collected composure as she held off that force. Even so, feeling that the rejection force was getting stronger with each seconds passed, she faintly furrowed her brows a bit as she sighed in her heart, 'It seems like this is the limit... Hmph! 'They' sure work fast.'

She could feel that vast force was only affecting her, not anyone else within the mansion. Everyone else within the mansion was either the original residence of that world, or someone under the Pandora System's protection. Although Caster was also one those under Pandora System's protection in the past, but her nature and soul aura had changed beyond what she was back then. Now, perhaps Pandora System instead saw her as an invader who was hijacking the System, and was probably also trying to expel her from Rukino's soul.

"*cough*... well, simply said, it's just a memory transfer." Rafi said awkwardly. It was because he had not managed to absorb all of those memories as he was still too weak at the moment.

"...then, do you remember all about the memories?" After a short silence, Caster asked, her face suddenly looked pensive.

"Only around a third of it. I still haven't managed to get all of 'his' memories yet." Rafi replied, he shook his head as he felt a little depressed.

"I see. So that's his goal. I guess I finally know what he's been thinking at that time. You know, you're really a bastard, Rafi. How dare you leave me on such major event, but, don't think that I haven't left something behind back there. Hehehe~... Moreover, it seems like your plan is also slightly off as well... " Caster murmured softly, her expression was a little scary, yeah it's only a bit scary... In the end, she revealed a cunning smile as she remembered a certain thing she had left behind before she went here.

Due to the quiet night, Rafi could completely hear her muttering clearly. He couldn't help feeling goosebumps appeared after seeing her acted like that. "You're not gonna beat him up, are you?" Rafi asked, probing a little.

"Hehe~ what do you think? After seeing 'his' memories, even if it's only a third of them, can you confidently say that he doesn't deserve a beating?" Caster smiled mysteriously in return.

Rafi: "....." 'fuck, that's true...!' Rafi couldn't really refute as he also felt a bit guilty to her.

"Still, he must be alive and well so that I can pummel him so hard to vent this stifling feeling..." Caster suddenly sighed, her expression turned complicated.

"...so, what are you gonna do now, Rukino?" Rafi asked softly. He already had a guess to what she was thinking. However, it was one of 'his' regret, otherwise 'he' wouldn't go to such length only to trick her. Rafi knew what she needed to do so, but if he allowed it, that would render what 'he' did meaningless.

Caster looked at the unconscious Rukino before she turned to Rafi, her expression was gentle, as she said, "It's supposed to be two days later before 'I' wake up, right? But, what if I want to wake her up now?" Quietly, Caster's body was slowly becoming transparent, little by little turning into motes of white light in front of him.

"You don't mean...?! No, that's not the purpose why he sent you here! I can't let-!!" Hearing Caster's words and action reinforced the guess on his mind. Rafi wanted to deny that possibility and prevent her, but he couldn't help faltering as she suddenly put her soft lips on his. His mind blanked for a moment, at the same time, he couldn't help but to see the firm will inside her eyes.

"My time here is limited as well, Rafi... Although I may feel some regrets if I leave now, as there are few things I want to do here, but I will perhaps regret it more if I don't return now..." Caster whispered softly.

"No! Even if so, 'he' already prepared a way to let you stay here! I just need your cooperation to-"

"Shushh... I know what you're getting at, but I won't do it... what can you do about it?" Caster smiled a little playfully.

"Don't be that stubborn, Rukino! If you return, it will only make all of 'his' effort to send you here in vain!" Rafi knew that her act would indeed wake up Rukino, but in return, Caster would also disappear from this world, returning her to her rightful timeline. It's because Caster used Rukino's soul as her vessel. If she disappeared, Rukino's soul would swiftly return to her body. Even if there's a way to let Rukino wake up and letting Caster to stay along with them among his recently absorbed memories, but it would be hard to realize without Caster's cooperation. Moreover, to think that she had chosen to dissipate herself just to prove her determination... his heart trembled as he thought of it.

"You know why I want to return, right? Please, can you let me be selfish again this one time? Let me borrow that black sphere to return. Besides, my time is really up this time..." Caster spoke tenderly, her eyes were slightly wet.

If it's only the matter of the rejection of the world on her, Caster might had agreed and cooperated with Rafi to settle that rejection force problem once for all. However, after she had realized what 'he' intended to do to her by letting Rafi inherited 'his' memories and sending her back to this world, Caster suddenly felt an urgency to return. Because it was highly likely that 'he' wanted to go to that place all alone, while he placed her in another world to keep her safe.

"...no, 'he' wanted to save you... and I can't also possibly to let you die there... but,..." Rafi murmured, feeling at impasse as she looked at him with tender gaze. He didn't want to let Caster to return, as it would be almost equal to losing her life, but Caster's determination was also apparent to see. Either ways, it would not end good whether he agreed with her or not...

"Don't be so sad, I'll be fine. Don't I always manage to stay by your side? This time as well... I won't leave you... that's why..." Caster added softly, slightly glancing at Rafi and then the unconscious Rukino with a hint of smile on her face. The motes of light surrounding her were getting thicker as her body was becoming more transparent, as if she was going to vanish just like that.

It seemed like her words struck Rafi deeply as he was thunderstruck when a certain recently absorbed memory surfaced on his mind after hearing those words... at the same time, he felt a bout of dizziness suddenly hit him. He immediately realized what's happening as Caster's figure blurred in his sight. It was likely that she had put a sleeping spell on him when she kissed him previously. As he tried hard to prevent himself from falling asleep, Rafi had noticed that the small black sphere quietly came out of his chest.

Despite after he mustered all his power to resist the dizziness, he was eventually getting more sleepy instead. All he could see at the moment was her figure was almost gone, she looked like a translucent figure made of light. Along with his mind gradually slipping away in the sleep, he could barely manage to hear her few words before he succumbed to the spell.

"No... don't do this, Rukino... don't go..." Even in his sleeping talk, he was still grabbing at Caster's hand as if he wouldn't let it go no matter what.

"...I am sorry... but looks like this the time limit... Besides, even if we really used the method 'he' gave you, I doubt the Pandora System would even allow such thing... at this time, the System should still be at its strongest..." Caster muttered softly. She could feel the rejection force was getting stronger, it had been doubled with each time passed. It was such heavy and vast force that if it was not Caster who faced it, even a large mountain would crumble to dust due to the sheer might of rejection force. Besides that, there was also another invisible energy which tried to cut her connection with Rukino's soul.

As she felt she didn't have much time left, Caster turned to look at unconscious Rukino. Smiling gently, she seemed muttering to herself before she sent a ball of blue light was formed on her palm. That ball of light quietly floated before it went to Rukino and slowly merged with her. "Hmph. Do you think only you could do such thing?" a small smile slowly formed on Caster's face after she saw that ball of blue light finished merging with Rukino.

After that, she condensed another rune spell which she molded into a ring, and then quietly put it into his finger. "Fufu~ with this, no matter how many would be by your side later on, they would only be after me. Still, it's a pity I haven't finished my plan for Musashi first... Well, she and Miaoyi would be your problem to settle. Ah, there's also the matter with Master too... *sigh* I really feel like beating you up now." Despite saying so, Caster smiled gently as she then kissed his forehead softly, "Then, it's a goodbye, my beloved..."

Under Caster's control, that small black sphere expanded, turning into a black sword which she used to slash at the space beside her. A small crack on the space was quickly formed before she sent her magical energy to that crack, she was searching someting akin to a beacon that she had left behind which would allow her to return. After looking for awhile, her eyes lighted up as she finally found it. She immediately leaped into that space crack after she fully masked herself with the aura of that black sword. Along with her departure, the space crack was swiftly closed as the surrounding space began to stabilize itself, though before it was fully closed, a small black sphere returned and quickly merged with Rafi again...

At that moment when Caster left through the space crack, some people sensed her departure as their previous mission was finally withdrawn, considered the matter as finished.

***

Meanwhile, within a certain church, a young girl had finally woken up. She looked at her surrounding in confusion. Within her sight was only a simple and unadorned room with fresh aroma wafted through her. There was only a clean bed, the one she's on, and a small desk and chair on the side, beside her was a window which was showing the dark curtain of the night. "Where am I...? How could I arrive here...?"

"Oh, you finally woke up, and here I thought you're going to be sleeping for much longer time, the same as someone I know."

A calm voice came from behind her as she then saw another girl walked from the stair. Seeing her look, she's likely at similar age with me, she thought quietly. From the looks of it, it was apparently that the room she's in was on a higher floor of a building. Looking at the structure of the room, she felt that she was likely within the attic.

"You are...?"

"Don't worry. I was the one who saved you. I don't know what happened to you before, but you seemed to suddenly fall unconscious in front of the chapel I am in charge of. Let me introduce myself, I am Caren Hortensia, a priestess from the Church. You can just call me Caren. So, what's your name?"

"I am... Miyu, Miyu Shinomiya..."

2