60. The Will of Fire
931 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tenten/Kin, Hinata/Karin, and I/Anko dash and leap from rooftop to rooftop to reach the Hokage’s fight with Orochimaru.

Without the Four Violet Flames Formation, Anbu are fighting the Sound Three to a standstill two to one. More Anbu are fighting Sound and Sand ninja on the outskirts of the rooftop battle.

Orochimaru, Hashirama Senju, and Tobirama Senju stand against the Third Hokage, Hiruzen Sarutobi. Even though Kin was used as a sacrifice for the Impure World Reincarnation in the original timeline, there’s no doubt Orochimaru could find a replacement. It’s worth noting, however, that Orochimaru’s imperfect version of the technique summons the previous Hokages at a fraction of their strength in life.

Otherwise, this battle would be impossible.

Hiruzen blasts the enemy trio with an advanced fire technique that produces a sea of flames which Tobirama counters with a wall of water, then a liquid dragon counterattack. Hiruzen blocks the water with an earthen rampart that Hashirama tears apart with his signature Wood Style. The Third Hokage is only able to escape by summoning Monkey King Enma as an unbreakable staff to snap the wooden branches like kindling.

It’s a high-level fight, and we’re honestly not ready to participate. Instead, I’m hoping the absence of the barrier is enough to change things.

Tenten/Kin assists the Anbu fighting Kidomaru. Her ranged attacks and Ice Mirrors allow her to pin down the spider-sniper while staying safe.

Hinata/Karin go up against Sakon and Ukon. It’s a taijutsu brawl I don’t expect Hinata to win, but with the Anbu supporting, I think she can last long enough to prevent the pair from interfering.

I attack Jirobo with everything I have. A swarm of insects he’s too slow to dodge hit him in the face while the Anbu distracts him. Snake hands sink fangs into his arms while I stab rapid-fire finger strikes into his tenketsu.

It takes him a second to realize he’s in trouble, but soon the big lug has an answer for me. A swing of his arms flings me away, and he covers himself in Earth Style mud to stop my insects. Then he erects a stone dome around himself to defend from my onslaught until he can regroup to start throwing rocks at me.

Perfect. Jirobo has turtled himself out of the fight while the Anbu keep him busy.

Meanwhile, Orochimaru regurgitates the legendary blade Kusanagi to block a staff blow from Enma. The First and Second Hokage kick Hiruzen away, then their legs detonate from the explosive tags the Third slipped onto them.

The damage instantly regenerates because the Impure World Reincarnation is the most stupid busted technique in the Naruto universe.

Seeing the fight is hopeless, Hiruzen summons two Shadow Clones.

Fuck!

“Don’t do it, old man!” I shout.

Just then, I hear the familiar chirping of a powerful jutsu as Kakashi stabs Hashirama clean through the chest. At the same time, Guy, skin red from having opened several Gates, kicks Tobirama’s head off.

I leap to cut off Orochimaru’s path of retreat with eight snake hands spread in a wide net.

“I’ll kill you even if it costs my life!” Anko says as her head sprouts next to mine. Her old mentor knows the threat of her Twin Snakes Mutual Death Technique is real.

“I suppose we’ll have to seal these two,” Kakashi says as he withdraws from the First Hokage, and the wound closes.

“Just a matter of persistence,” Guy agrees with a thumbs up as Tobirama’s head regrows.

The third Hokage smiles and chuckles. “It seems the next generation is reliable indeed, if a bit odd,” he says while glancing at me. Then his grin fades, replaced by determination. “I can die knowing I leave the Village in good hands. Sealing Jutsu: Reaper Death Seal!”

“Fucking damn it, old man!” I say. “Why?”

Two Hiruzen clones grab the previous Hokages before they finish regenerating. “With any other method, Orochimaru-kun may cancel the technique and resummon them later. This is the only way to ensure the previous generations will never be used against the Village.” Right, otherwise Orochimaru would’ve summoned the Fourth Hokage as well. “I will ensure The Will of Fire endures.”

Hashirama and Tobirama dissolve into ash before our eyes, revealing two nameless corpse sacrifices. Then the Hiruzen clones vanish in a puff of smoke.

Orochimaru glances between Hiruzen, Kakashi, Guy, and Anko. The Sound Three are all indisposed. “Oh, well. Back to the drawing board.”

Then a puff of smoke consumes the former Sannin. A score of slithering snakes appears in his place, and they scatter away in all directions. I/Anko grab a dozen decoy snakes in a split second with our many limbs. Kakashi and Guy stomp out more snakes with Jonin speed and precision.

The Third Hokage somehow deduces the real enemy’s whereabouts. This snake reverts to human form in Hiruzen’s grip. Orochimaru desperately tries to flee as his soul is ripped out, another snake emerging from his mouth.

“Even if you escape, I’ll take your Jutsu! Seal!”

Hiruzen falls like a puppet with cut strings as Orochimaru’s snake sheds the old body like a used skin. We try to catch the villain, but Sakon and Ukon in their second-stage curse forms scoop up the reptile first. Kidomaru uses spiderwebs to slow pursuit.

I failed again. Still not strong enough. I sigh. At least we avoided the worst-case scenario.

Kakashi looks at me, including Anko’s head and arms on my figure. “We’ll need to discuss all this after the cleanup.”

I nod. There are a lot of mooks to mop up. I’ll join the Jonin and Tsume in clearing the area. I’m far too late to change the outcome of Naruto’s fight, anyway. I can only hope Sakura/Ino have things well in hand.

21