Chapter 0078 – No Harm, No Foul II
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Monday = Chapter (The guaranteed RR and Scribblehub and Patreon release)

Also here is my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=73149411

I took the liberty of making a Discord. If you like the story, feel free to join me there: https://discord.gg/2ftFYB2Suk

Patreon is on chapter 85. Just so you know. <3

Thank you, guys, for being patient with the story. I know it is a bit slow.

Atsushi Ito sat at the head of the dining room table, and Himiko couldn’t read his expression as usual.

“Father,” she greeted him with a slight bow. “I wasn’t expecting your visit.”

She observed her father as she approached. His face remained a mask.

“Does a father need a reason to visit his daughter?” Her father waved her implied question.

Himiko tried not to let her father’s games get to her. “Of course not,” She smiled and replied with another slight bow. “Then shall we eat?”

Atsushi invited her to take her place at the table, and Himiko followed the inviting gesture. It was an unpleasant feeling to be treated like a guest in her own house, but her father did such things with a purpose, and she wouldn’t open herself to such a provocation before knowing the reason for his visit.

She was far too experienced to fall over her pride with her family. Himiko sat down and politely smiled at her father. “What’s for dinner, father?”

Atsushi Ito studied her before a broad smile spread over his face, and he clapped his hands together. “A wonderful question.”

The signal clap led to a few of her father’s servants walking in with trays of food that only a masterful chef from their island home could have prepared.

“You flew in a chef?” Himiko inquired curiously, studying the dishes before her.

Noticing the glint in her father’s eyes, she knew she had walked into something that her father would use later.

“You’re quite right.” Her father said. The man had returned to his stoic self. The setup for the food was mere theatrics. “But why have the wealth if you can’t spoil yourself or your family occasionally? Please, let us eat. That other matters can wait until after our meal.”

Now, Himiko was entirely sure this meal was a hook for a different point entirely. Her mind began to divine the hidden meaning behind her father’s words immediately.

The museum came to mind, but he had never minded the way she had spent her money before. When she financed an expedition to unearth ancient ruins, her father didn’t even take notice of her absence as long as affairs remained in order and expectations were met. If it were for the exhibition, there had to be a deeper reason. 

Had her other research and activities been brought to his attention? Himiko thought things through while they ate in complete silence and concluded that his visit was indeed about her planned exhibition in Pliada City. What could possibly be of interest to him there?

She politely smiled throughout the dinner, but Himiko began to understand what undergoing root canal treatment without anesthesia must feel like. How much her father knew of her activity, Himiko could only speculate, but once he left, there would be a staff rotation around here.

While she had taken care of, she felt that her father might have too much sway over her regular employees, seeing as he was Himiko's father and boss.

The food was delicious, but it didn’t really help Himiko wash down the bitter taste in her mouth.

“I hear you plan to show off your findings in Pliada City’s wonderful museum. The national museum back home has been knocking on my door daily to persuade you to bring the artifacts over for a similar exhibition, too. Our people can be quite envious. The fact that you first tour them through the States wounds their pride.”

Himiko tilted her head slightly. It couldn’t possibly be that simple. “These are irreplaceable artifacts, and I am touring them across America, starting purposefully on the East Coast. Once they reach the West Coast, I plan to send them on a world tour, so please tell the good people back in Osaka they’ll have to be patient.”

Her father nodded and turned his attention toward the arriving dessert. “Ah yes, just in time.”

The man controlled the conversation like there was a separation glass between them he could close at will. At times, she disliked her ancestral home’s dining etiquette because it always seemed to work against her.

They ate again silently, and Himiko considered what her father would say next. She relaxed a little at the sweet and soothing taste of the creamy dessert. Maybe her father was getting soft in his old days.

Himiko doubted that notion, as her father was still a little way from being called old. At least, she was not yet ready to see him that way. To her, he would always be a taller-than-life figure towering over her like a shadow.

Finishing his dish first, Atsushi Ito sat motionless, waiting for her to finish her food. His gaze studied her the whole time. Himiko would pay good money to know what her father thought right now. She would learn soon enough what motivated the man to seek out his daughter all the way on the East Coast.

As she finished her dessert, Himiko thought herself ready for whatever her father would throw her way.

Atsushi Ito stood up slowly. “I heard you’ve been painting again.”

Himiko’s eyes narrowed. Someone had told her father about her private activities. “And who told you that, father? I never knew you to take an interest in my hobbies. Where does this sudden curiosity come from?”

Her father looked down on her still-seated figure. “Himiko, when it comes to family, a father is always attentive, even when he pretends not to be interested. A father may feign disinterest only not to appear meddling.” He motioned for her to follow him. “I heard your most recent works were particularly…inspired. Would you mind leading the way? I am not familiar with this new home of yours yet.”

 

That last word gave her pause. She hoped he didn’t plan on inserting himself into her affairs on a more permanent basis. Himiko vividly remembers when he had done this to her older brother for five years and how she had pitied her sibling at the time for being under such scrutiny. “If you insist, I’ll show you my newest works. This way, please.”

 

Himiko led her father to her studio room and partly office since she was always in the middle of business. They walked through the hallway of the freshly renovated old mansion. The wooden panel halls gave a fitting interior to the imposing exterior. It represented the status and gravitas with which the Ito family carried itself. Himiko noted that her father studied her new home with a keen eye, no doubt taking note of the manifold way in which she represented their family to any visitors, be they private or business-related. ‘Was there the slightest hint of a proud father in his eyes?’ She wondered for a second.

“We’re here.” She announced to her father as she placed her hand on the doorknob of her studio.

While opening the door, she motioned for her father to take the lead. Himiko was anticipating her father’s reaction to the paintings she was creating for the exhibition in the museum.

She turned on the lights after walking in behind her father and watched the man freeze as he looked at the, so far, two paintings and the third unfinished one. Himiko saw cold sweat form on his forehead and temples and heard him dry swallow.

It wasn’t the first time she had witnessed such a reaction to mere paintings. To see even her father have this reaction to the sight of the object of her obsession worried her.

“Do you not like my art, father?” Himiko inquired to her stiffly standing father.

Atsushi cleared his throat. “My, it is really something. How did you come up with this character?”

“What do you mean?” She responded innocently, smiling. “I just gave history a witness.

Her father’s eyes darted from one scene to the next. “You draw this creature among humans as though it was there. This isn’t really a portrayal of history. This is a piece of fiction, is it not? You plan on showing these off at your exhibition with the actual artifacts, correct?”

There was a long, drawn-out pause between them. “Once I finish all four pieces, yes, I will put them in the exhibition. Forgive me for the artistic liberties I have taken, but I invented a character for our learning of this momentous history. You can call her a flight of my own fancy.”

Her father tore his eye from the canvas in the middle to look directly at her. “This is supposed to be some kind of mythological creature you came up with?”

She smiled. “I would call her the spirit of a civilization. The last piece I am working on will make her role very clear.”

Her father made a step toward the turned-away unfinished piece on the easel. She stepped in front of her father and stopped him. “Please, it is not finished, father. I would be honored to walk with you through the exhibition exclusively just before the big opening on the 4th of July,” She waited a moment before adding. “if you find the time, that is.”

 

Atsushi Ito measured her with her gaze and smiled a sly smile before stepping back. “For my only daughter? Any time.” Then, he promptly turned around. “Come now, a father mustn’t impose himself on his children longer than needed. Accompany me to my car, daughter.”

She did just as requested, and at the front door, her father turned to her assistant, Mr. Go, and said. “Thank you, for calling me, Mr. Go.” Then he turned to Himiko and said his goodbyes.

 

Her father had just exposed the man who called him there to her in no uncertain terms. Himiko glanced at Mr. Go, who seemed quite stunned.

The pair stood and watched as the driver of her father held the door open for him. As Atsushi drove off, Himiko said without looking away from the car driving down the paved road lined by well-kept trees on either side. “Mr. Go, in the face of your long and loyal service to my family, I hope I never again will suffer such indiscretions. It would be a tragedy for you and your family to leave my staff.” She let the threat of not just him but all the members of his family losing their jobs hang in the air for a bit before she turned around. “That will be all I need for today.”

 

Mr. Go bowed deeply. “My deepest apologies, Mrs. Ito.”

 

Himiko didn’t even turn to acknowledge his deep bow. She was furious, just in the right mood to paint.


 

‘Stop showboating and teach that girl that just because she can fly, she can’t neglect her guard!’ The voice in Ravela yelled. Her mind’s roommate had a distinct taste for the gladiatorial sport or conflict in general. That much they shared. Ravela enjoyed herself immensely against the two stumbling and fumbling teenagers.

She had spent all morning fighting them with almost all the tricks she had in her bag. Their teamwork had consistently gotten better, but the combined advantage of her abilities and her armor suit had proven to be devastatingly effective against Safora and Laena.

She had used most of the day just to show off in how many ways they could get separated, or their combined efforts could be ruined if they weren’t able to coordinate their effort silently.

It was time to end this day-long lesson in humility. She had used her powers a lot and felt spent.

Ravela sent Laena flying into the underbrush for once and stopped Safora from flying backward out of her reach. Ravela stopped her punch right in front of the teenager’s nose and turned her fist around, flicking her fingers slightly against her forehead. Then she announced before the girl got back to fighting. “Alright, that’s it for today. I think we all had enough fun. How about we go eat an early dinner?”

Safora flopped to the floor, exhausted from almost half a day of fighting but still somehow bristling with excitement. Laena came out of the thicket, still ready to fight.

Ravela raised her hands with open palms. “Calm down, Laena. I just ended the training for today. We’re going to eat dinner. Did you two bring the change of clothes I told you to bring?”

Laena and Safora looked at each other for a minute. “Yes, it’s in the gym bag back where we landed.”

Both of them looked around, unsure of which direction it was.

“Well, another lesson: know your location,” Ravela said drily, pointing toward where today's training had started.

While they walked through the forest, Ravela gathered some feedback from her students. “So, was this enough action for you, Safora?”

Safora began to float. “Oh, it was exactly what I needed! And also, what is this armor made of? It is unbelievably hard. Look!” She showed off her knuckles. “They are all red. I can punch trees and rocks, and my skin won’t even redden a bit, but punching this suit for half a day makes it look like I got friction burns on my hand.”

Ravela laughed under her helmet, and the changed voice sounded harsh and distorted. She took off the helmet and took a deep breath of fresh air. “I can’t tell you that, but yes, punching me while wearing this armor is not supposed to be a fun experience.”

Laena jumped in and said, “So where do we eat? I am starving.”

That was enough to distract Safora from all other thoughts. “Yes, me too! Next time, we should have food ready because I am famished.”

 

Laena looked at her friend for a second. “Since when do you say famished? Did you actually read the book we got as a homework assignment?”

“Hey, first of all, I always read the books that we get assigned-”

“Yeah, the day before they’re due.”

“Okay, harsh, but true. Still, that counts, and secondly, I happened to like the book's title, so I was just curious about it more than about those other books, and thirdly, bite me.” Safora shot back.

Ravela laughed heartily at their bickering. Today, it was a fun day.

‘For you, I had to watch six grueling hours of amateur fighting and someone in my armor touching their student with kid gloves.’ The voice chimed in.

‘Because they are still kids.’ Ravela shot back as a thought.

She listened inward and found a disagreeable silence in her.

Ravela shrugged and then thought. ‘So, what do you want to eat?’

There was a feeling of excitement but no response. She felt a craving for sugar and flesh.

They shared the same weird taste, it seemed.

0