Chapter 0068 – A nice Day in Spring
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Monday = Chapter (The guaranteed RR and Scribblehub and Patreon release)

Also here is my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=73149411

I took the liberty of making a Discord. If you like the story, feel free to join me there: https://discord.gg/2ftFYB2Suk

Patreon is on chapter 75. Just so you know. <3

Thank you, guys, for being patient with the story. I know it is a bit slow.

 

Ravela stood in rank and file with her fellow recruits, waiting nervously. The week progressed without an incident so far, but this morning was different. The instructors came out earlier than usual in the company of way too many high-ranking members of the police command. They went through every row, pulling out seemingly random recruits and sending them to the front, where the instructors were waiting.

 

She had no clue what was going on, but by the looks of the recruits reaching the front, it was not good news for them. Starting a day with such a tense atmosphere wasn’t ideal, but Ravela was confident it wouldn’t befoul her day.

 

The moment for this quiet selection process to end came as the higher-ups all assembled back at the front, giving Instructor Harmond the go-ahead to proceed.

 

“Twenty-five recruits, that is certainly a new low for the Police Academy,”

Harmond said, shaking his head. “You come to training still drunk. That won’t do at all. You are dismissed. Your training will not move forward.”

 

Ravela was astonished at the harshness with which drunkenness was dealt with. Then again, people working with firearms and charged with the protection of the city coming to work drunk was not something that the Police could ill-afford with their current public image.

 

She looked on as the expelled recruits were led away. They had squandered their chance to become police officers by going on a bender before it was their weekend. It's not an ideal start for a Friday, but at least it didn’t concern her directly.

 

“With that out of the way,” Ravela’s attention returned to Instructor Harmond. “We only have 170 recruits remaining, and we have reached the next stage in your education. From today on, we will be pairing you with another recruit. You will learn to work together, get to know each other, and gain from each other’s experience. Because from here on out, you’re responsible for your partner’s results just as much as yours. If they go on a bender and show up drunk, it would be you who’s on the hook for their behavior. If you can make them take responsibility, you are as much in it as they are. So, I can only suggest you get to know your nearest and from here on out dearest partner, 'cause if they fall, you fall.”

 

Ravela cringed at the thought of hanging her future on the shoulders of another. The possibility of getting paired with one of the drunkards who was lucky enough not to get picked out and dismissed by sheer luck was unpleasant.

 

There was no use in lamenting what was about to happen. She had to live with whoever she got partnered with later on in her job, so she may as well start this painful process right here. Ravela braced herself for the inevitable.

 

“Further, we will fuse groups. The new unit size will be ten recruits. Leaving us with seventeen wonderful groups that will strive forward from this unfortunate turn of events to become proper police officers.” The man held up a list. “I will now call out the team fusions, and afterward, you will get paired with the recruit that will be your partner for the rest of Police Academy.

 

Ravela stopped listening after Group One got paired with Group Three. Her mind wandered for a bit over to her home, which still was a construction site. The progress she made on the house was good, but before she could get to fix it fully she had to construct the lower levels.

 

Someone nudged her in the side, pulling her out of her contemplation. Jocul made a head motion to follow with the rest of her group.

 

Ravela followed her group with a sigh. It was time to see what the damage would be.

 

“Alright, here is your new group line-up and the partner list. Go to seminar room 107 and familiarize yourselves with your new group members and your partners. The next class will be after lunch. Get comfortable with the situation till then.” Instructor Harmond dismissed them almost immediately to call on the next group.

 

Ravela tried to peek over Jocul’s shoulder and see who her partner would be, but Jocul hid the paper well, leading their newly formed group to room 107. On the way, Ravela checked out former Group Three. Her partner would most likely be a former Group Three. She remembered Brill Frames from the fitness test, but the other members were a blur.

 

Once they all gathered in the room, Jocul took charge of the situation.

 

“Okay, settle down, everyone. First, we are all one group now, so I’d like to welcome you all,” Jocul turned the page and said with some enthusiasm, “To Group Central.”

 

Except for Ravela and Alan, everyone seemed very excited about their group’s name. Ravela leaned over to Donna and asked, “What’s so exciting about the name?”

 

Donna gave him an almost pitying look, “Anyone with a family member in the force knows that is the name that is given to the Group that performed the best in the first phase of training.”

 

“That explains why I wouldn’t know,” Ravela replied dryly.

 

Jocul continued by naming the partners, and when her name came up, Ravela wasn’t ready for her partner. “Ramiel Roice and Kahli Madri.”

 

This time, Donna leaned over to the thunderstruck Ravela. “Uh, oh, that’s just tough luck.”

 

Ravela grimaced, “Bite me, legacy girl?”

 

Donna put her hand over her heart. “Oh, Roice, you wound me.” Then, I immediately chuckled and said with a wink. “You’re lucky I am not big on grudges, unlike Kahli. Look at it; she’s about to eat her hat.”

 

Ravela looked across the room at Kahli, who made a face as if she had just eaten a bowl of lemons. “And why is she the one looking more bothered than me? She is the one being assigned delightful company.” She sang herself praises.

 

“Humble too, don’t you forget it.” Whispered Alan from his right.

 

“Indeed, thank you for noticing.” Ravela concurred.

 

Donna scoffed at that. She was the only one in Group One being paired with someone from Group Three. Brill was, as far as Ravela could tell, a formidable recruit, at least regarding his physical fitness. She hadn’t paid him any mind beyond that.

 

Ravela’s eyes wandered back over to her new partner. This was trouble, and just when things were going so well.

 

Kahli, on her end, wasn’t happy either, and while the other partners started to mingle. Ravela decided to jump over her own shadow and get this over with. As she walked over, Kahli jumped out of her seat and furiously stormed out the door, taking Ravela off guard.

 

She followed the fuming woman outside, wondering if she was really that bad a lot as a partner. This was taking a turn for the insulting. Ravela wasn’t sure how she felt about this.

 

Catching up to Kahli was easy enough. The woman was fuming and cursing up a storm. Ravela spoke up since she kept on being ignored.

“You’re taking it rather well, partner.”

 

She spun around, pushing her index finger against Ravela’s chest. “I am in NO mood right now.”

 

“Fine, I am not that bad of a lot as a partner, though. Mind telling me what your problem is?” Ravela asked.

 

Kahli made something between a huff and a hiss. “Tsk.” But Ravela could see her facial features moving as she mulled the idea of discussing her problem with whom she had such tension. “Come with me for a second.”

 

Ravela followed her back to room 107. They looked in through the glass panel on the door. After a minute, Kahli spoke up. “Look at them, Donna and Jocul. They have average partners. They weren’t paired with each other.” There was a pause, and Ravela could see her chew on something else she wanted to say.

 

“Not everybody can be lucky like you,” Ravela said with a hint of a smile.

 

“See, that’s how I know it is not luck,” Kahli said, a bitter note in her voice. “I didn’t get Donna, Jocul, or Janus Mill’s over there. He’s among the Top 10 recruits this year, not that you’d care.” Kahli explained.

 

Ravela looked down at Kahli. “Should I care for the scores of others? I am not so big on gossip.”

 

Kahli laughed, “Yeah, right. I bet you don’t. Anyway, the point is. I didn’t get paired with any of them. I got paired with you, the best recruit of this year.”

 

“Oh, the tragedy. I am sure there is a point you’ll eventually want to make. Can we skip to that part, or must I stand here a bit more and be lamented?” Ravela said with a sigh.

 

“You know, I got frustrated. Just by getting paired with you, I know two things. First, the father of Donna and Jocul didn’t try to pull any strings to get the twins paired with each other OR you. Second, by exclusion, I now know that my father did.” That last part sounded much more vulnerable and hurt than Ravela had expected.

 

“You could just assume the worst, or we could, until you got a chance to have a heart-to-heart with your father, assume that I’m just cursed, and that’s how we ended up in such delightful company.” Ravela offered a somewhat sympathetic response.

 

“Yeah, the green recruit walking up to her father and Chief of Police, asking him if he’s corrupt.” Kahli turned to Ravela. “You know, for such a high flyer, you sure say the dumbest things sometimes. I wish it were that easy.”

 

Ravela shrugged. “I suppose that might be more than just a bit awkward. Oh, well, I don’t hold the actions of your old man may or may not have taken in your best interest against you. Say, why don’t we two work on becoming a good team over lunch? Getting to know Group Three can wait, right?” Ravela turned to walk toward the lobby, planning to use this situation for an early lunch. “Or since you’re already the intel part of this team, why don’t you brief your partner on the aspects he was so sorely neglecting to stay informed on? Like, for example, tell me more about how I am the best recruit of this year.” Ravela chuckled.

 

“Don’t be an ass about it. If you weren’t such an outlier, I’d be fighting with the twins for first place.” Kahli said while reluctantly following Ravela. Then she stopped as though she just had an idea. “You know, while we’re at it, a good partner would help me with the driving course.”

 

Ravela turned to her, stunned. “You’re still hung up on that? Let it go. These grudges aren’t good for your health.”

 

“Screw you, Mr Perfect. You are going to help your partner. The code demands it!” Kahli declared, for the first time, letting down her grim facade.

 

“Mr. Perfect? That’s not true. For instance, if you ever need an ego boost, you can invite me to a pool or a beach.” Ravela decided to give Kahli something to get her mood up a bit.

 

“Really? You, a lead duck? I would have never guessed.” Kahli soaked up the information.

 

Ravela waved it off and sighed, “If it really means that much to you.” Now, it was Ravela’s turn to chew on her words.

 

Kahli came up beside her, looking slightly less frowny than moments prior.

 

With a sigh, she jumped over her shadow. “Fine, let’s say we could go visit the driving course sometime.”

 

Kahli's face lit up like it never had before Ravela had known her, and with haste, she added. “But not right now. I am actually hungry.”

Realizing she had to come up with some reasonable explanation for her driving, she bargained for more time. “Let’s say maybe after the next two exams. The top recruit has to study hard, lest the twins trounce him.”

 

Somehow, Kahli seemed agreeable with that reasoning. Ravela sighed. There was always just another headache waiting for her. Why could life be like her cheeseburgers? Without any goddamn pickles!

 

They sat down in a small diner across the road, and Kahli set the tone by ordering just coffee for herself while Ravela ordered a proper lunch.

 

Ravela wondered how Kahli could be satisfied with just coffee as her lunch. She refrained from addressing that point. It wasn’t her body, not her place to be concerned. The one in the body knew best what it required, and who knew what plans she had after classes.

 

She decided to pick up their conversation from before. “Tell me, Kahli, why would your father pull strings to team you up with me?”

 

Kahli took a long sip from her coffee. “By pairing me with you, the twins won’t be paired with you, which is a win-win for me, his daughter. The tide raises all boats, as the saying goes. Now, we sit in the same boat. Virtually a safe ride, guaranteed to go smoothly short of sticking me with one of the twins and sharing the accomplishments of or with them. You get where I’m going with this?”

 

Ravela put down her milkshake. “So, bottom line. Your father would think I would make whoever I am partnered with look good. He has some confidence that I won’t muck up my partner's advance in the process, and hopefully, I would contribute to you becoming the best possible police officer. Yeah, I, too, would be outraged at the thought of someone looking out for my future that much.” She leaned back. “Come on, you aren’t mad that your dad may, big emphasis on the possibility, have had a hand in us becoming partners.”

 

Kahli threw her hands in the air. “You know, the crazy part is that it only bothers me because you didn’t get paired with the twins. Makes me think their father is every bit as righteous as he raised them, while mine.” She pursed her lips. “Well, now the twins and me will forever think he put his finger on the scale for me.”

 

Ravela laughed. “Oh, I get it now. You think the twins think like you and will judge you somehow. Aw, that’s just adorable. Do you want to know what Donna said to me when we got partnered?”

 

Kahli bit her lip. “Sure.”

 

“She said, and I quote, ‘Oh, uh, that’s just tough luck.’” Ravel said while leaning in. “While that seems a bit harsh, it came from the heart. You know, I really do think we could make a damn good team if you stopped caring what others may think and just react to what is in actuality in front of you. Feels like you carrying around a bunch of other people’s luggage.”

 

Kahli made a tightlipped face. “That’s what she said?”

 

“I’m telling you, best stop weighing me down with that grumpy attitude. We might just prove her wrong.” Ravela winked while reaching her open palm halfway across the table. “What do you say, partner? Was it tough luck, or is Donna going to eat her words?”

“You best believe she is going to eat her words,” Kahli said, shaking Ravela’s outstretched hand.

 

“Splendid.” Ravela toasted Kahli with her milkshake. ‘New friends wherever I walk.’

 

Things were on the up and up after all.

0