Chapter 17: Hunting the Marksman!
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Perched atop one of the four towering cranes scattered across the vast expanse of the mining operation area, Hamza and Observer stood in silent anticipation. Hamza’s muscles strained as he pulled back on the bowstring, the metallic strips humming with tension. The bowstring resonated with a peculiar resilience, producing a tingling sound that echoed in the still air.

 

A little distance away, Observer watched Keely with an intense gaze. She stood near the edge of the crane’s cab, her silhouette outlined against the vast landscape.

 

With a swift motion, Hamza released the arrow. It sliced through the air with a piercing whoosh, its sound echoing like a tiny jet darting swiftly through the sky. The noise was so intense that Observer had to cover her ears, falling to her knees on the cab’s floor. The wind whipped around them, unimpeded by any structures or the massive sand dunes that lay behind the cranes.

 

Whoosh

 

“My ears… You idiot! At least warn me,” she shouted over the wind, her voice filled with annoyance.

 

“Fuck! I missed,” Hamza muttered under his breath as he watched the arrow veer off course. Instead of hitting its intended target - a flint rock - it struck one of the beetle-like battle droids that were traversing the rugged terrain.

 

Boom

 

The impact resulted in an explosion that echoed across the barren landscape. A single droid was destroyed, its metallic body disintegrating under the force of the blast.

 

With a heavy sigh, Hamza made his way towards Observer, his figure silhouetted against the backdrop of destruction.

 

 

Observer watched him closely, reading his emotions like an open book. His face was etched with seriousness, his brows furrowed in anger and his eyes fixed on the ground. It was as if he was reliving past memories of feeling useless and abused. The intensity of his gaze spoke volumes about his determination to overcome his past and prove his worth.

 

“I missed. Dammit it! This is a disaster. We can’t afford to waste time here,” Hamza muttered, his head bowed in frustration. Standing opposite him, Observer slowly rose to her feet, a sense of unease creeping over her. Hamza’s anger was palpable, his hand clenched into a trembling fist. His self-loathing was evident in his demeanor, the weight of his mistake bearing down on him.

 

He knew better than anyone that this had been an uphill battle from the start, a situation complicated by the butterfly effect to such an extent that there was no room for error. The alternative was a looming specter of death. He could leave this battle, but he knew Jack would stay. Jack was his only lifeline in this world, the strongest among them. His strategies relied heavily on cooperation; it had been all or nothing since he started helping Jack.

 

After seeing observer I feel like I didn’t even do simple things. I don’t want to be a burden. Never again. I never want to go through that again. Like in my past.

 

“I’m not useless” he uttered barely a whisper.

 

Observer watched him closely, reading his emotions like an open book. His face was etched with seriousness, his brows furrowed in anger and his eyes fixed on the ground. It was as if he was reliving past memories of feeling useless and abused. The intensity of his gaze spoke volumes about his determination to overcome his past which gave him the anxiety he lived with.

 

“No worries, you’ll succeed next time,” Observer said, her voice filled with concern. But her words only seemed to exacerbate Hamza’s frustration.

 

“You don’t understand. We’re running out of time. They’ve almost passed the third checkpoint. We need to hurry to the fourth one,” Hamza retorted, his voice echoing in the wind-swept expanse. His outburst made Observer flinch and take a step back. This was the first time she had seen him genuinely angry, and she was at a loss for how to respond.

 

Hamza fell silent, realizing he was unfairly venting his frustration on Observer. He felt a pang of guilt for his outburst.

 

But Observer wasn’t about to let him wallow in self-pity. She knew about his past and understood his tendency to be hard on himself. She wanted to support him

 

Knowing his history and past he’s going to be hard on himself. He is someone with a lot of self-loathing and an inferiority complex

 

Gathering her courage, she finally spoke up. “Wait! I can create a portal directly to the spot you were aiming for. It will be exhausting, but I can manage it since I’ve restored my stamina with the pill you gave me.”

 

She reached out and gently held Hamza’s trembling hand, trying to soothe his anger. “Let me try, please! I can salvage this situation. If it doesn’t work, I’ll get us to the fourth checkpoint immediately. We all make mistakes. Just trust me!” Her voice was firm, filled with determination and resolve.

 

Hamza knew about Observer’s ability to create portals, but he wasn’t sure if she could pull off something like this. His face was a mask of uncertainty, his eyes reflecting his inner turmoil. Taking a deep breath, he slapped his face with both hands.

 

I can’t let my emotions get the best of me. We all make mistakes. I won’t make one again.

 

Looking from the distance from his vantage point. Hamza tried to assess the situation. From his vantage point, Hamza surveyed the scene below. Countless beetle-like battle droids were marching along the intersecting roads.

 

One road is clear because of Observer. I owe her an iguana now. She’s so reliable.

 

A small smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. His gaze then shifted to the army that was almost through the third checkpoint. With Jack’s enhanced senses, he could see a few barrels of combustion oil still intact as the army continued its march.

 

Time is running out. We can thin their numbers here.

 

Hamza quickly formulated a plan. They still had a chance, despite the overwhelming numbers. It was now or never. Observer smiled as Hamza nodded in her direction, glad that she could be of help. He approached her and gently placed some cloth buds in her ears, a precaution he had thoughtfully prepared for if he lost his ones in a confrontation. It made her blush, but he quickly snapped her back to reality.

 

“Focus!” he said, pointing in the direction of the oil barrels.

 

Observer’s eyes scanned the landscape, squinting to pinpoint the location of the oil barrels from their elevated position on the crane. Once she had a clear visual, she gestured with her hands, and a portal materialized. Hamza, in sync with her actions, swiftly drew an arrow from his quiver and notched it on his bow. He aimed at the portal, ready to release the arrow as soon as he had a clear shot.

“No more mistakes,” he declared in a stern voice. As the portal opened, revealing a bird’s-eye view of the battlefield, he could see the oil barrels nestled next to a large cliff in the middle of the road. The mechanical clicking of the beetle battle droids echoed through the air as they marched forward.

 

A few droids noticed the anomaly in the sky and with registering one of the few targets was standing and lunged towards it. Their metallic wings flapped a few times propelling them towards the portal. Hamza’s gaze was fixed on them, his aim steady on the flint rock strapped to one of the open oil barrels. He pulled back on his bowstring with all his might and launched an arrow.

 

“Scream for me, bicthes!” he shouted defiantly. As the droids approached the portal in haste, Hamza prepared for their onslaught.

 

With a steady aim, Hamza released the arrow. A sonic boom echoed across the mining operation area, the shockwave thrusting away the droids that had approached the portal. The ruby-tipped arrow pierced through the droids without losing speed, lunging at the oil barrels and destroying them scattering the entire oil and broken pieces of the barrels and catching the spark causing a massive explosion. The scattered oil ignited as the portal closed, creating a fiery spectacle in the barren landscape.

 

Hamza turned his attention to Observer, who was huffing and puffing from the effort of creating the portal. He approached her and offered his hand for support. “Opening portals at such a distance is obnoxiously hard,” she gasped, struggling to catch her breath.

 

A series of notifications popped up from the system, confirming Hamza’s success:

 

[Way to go… Savage!]

[You have killed X-Beetle battle droid 234]

[Level up]

[Level up]

[Level up]

 

 

Name

Hamza

Level

7

Race

------------

Class

------------

Strength

0.5X

Dexterity

1X

Intelligence

2.5X

GP Multiplier

1X

Charisma

3

Luck

4

 

Total GP

 

5,070

Attribute stats

10 points left.

 

3 M-pills observer (2100 GP points), 5 ultra-pills 10,000GP points) created so counting these minus the total GP points its 5,070

 

 

[I love when shit blows up]

 

Hamza glanced at the messages, finding some satisfaction in the small notifications.

 

If this system wasn’t getting high from the carnage, it would be bothering me. Well, it’s a nice change of pace.

 

“See, I told you it would work!” Observer exclaimed between erratic breaths. The joy on her face was evident, but Hamza was concerned about her exhaustion. She was too out of it to even portal her way to the 4th check point. With haste he took her in her arms and carried her but stopped as he looked at the position of the crane.

 

As Hamza surveyed the position of the crane they were standing on, an idea sparked in his mind. He stopped walking and gently set Observer down.

 

“Umm. Something wrong?” Observer asked, her curiosity piqued. She had thought he would carry her to the next checkpoint, and his sudden change of plan left her feeling a bit disappointed. Hamza guided her to sit on the counterweight area of the crane.

 

I’ve come up with a solution. A drastic one.

 

He knew he wouldn’t make it to the next checkpoint in time if he had to carry Observer on his back.

 

Sighing, he said, “I’m insane, but it’s the quickest way to the fourth checkpoint.” He unsheathed his sword from its back sheath and readied himself to strike. They were both standing on the counterweight on the other side of the crane. His crimson ruby sword gleamed in the desert sunlight as he braced himself to use his full force to cut the counterweight.

 

With a loud cry, he unleashed an attack on the joint holding the counterweight.

 

Ching

 

His powerful blow barely managed to cut it in one swing. He quickly grabbed Observer and balanced himself at the edge of the crane where the counterweight was. It fell to the ground with a massive thud.

 

Thung

 

 “Welcome to Hamza Airlines! Just hold on! Talking in 3, 2, 1”

 

"Hold on!" he shouted to Observer, their eyes locked in a fierce determination. "This ride is about to get wild." He glanced down at the falling counterweight, calculating the distance and timing in his mind.

 

As the crane swayed and shuddered from the sudden loss of the counterweight, he seized the opportunity. With adrenaline pumping through his veins, he sprinted towards the edge of the tilting crane. He could feel the rush of air as the massive structure teetered and swung in response to the sudden shift in balance.

 

With a powerful leap, he soared off the crane's edge, carrying the momentum of the tilting structure. The world blurred around him as he hurtled through the air like a human projectile, propelled by the crane's swinging motion. Hamza carried Observer securely in his arms, their trust in him evident in their unwavering gaze.

 

The distance to the next crane, a kilometer away, seemed both exhilarating and daunting. His crimson ruby sword gleamed in the desert sunlight as he arced through the sky, aiming for the distant crane's arm. Time seemed to slow as he approached the target, calculating the trajectory and angle of his flight.

 

With precision, he angled his body and swung his sword, using it as a rudder to adjust his course. He felt the rush of wind and the G-forces as he closed the gap rapidly. The extended arm of the distant crane loomed closer, and he braced for impact.

 

He crashed into the arm, a mix of controlled force and sheer will, carrying Observer safely in his arms. The landing was rough, but he managed to maintain his grip and slide on the terrain near the crane. Both of them were battered and bruised, but they had made it without serious injuries.

 

Observer eyes were wide with awe and exhilaration laughing, "ahahha”

 

“This is just like skydiving”

 

Brushing off the dust and peeling bits of skin from small injuries obtained during his skid through the treacherous rocky terrain, he quickly checked both himself and the observer. Fortunately, there weren't many injuries.

 

With a triumphant, albeit pained, smile on his lips, he replied, "Just in time. Fourth checkpoint."

 

“Slur- Glur.”

 

As he sprinted forward, an unsettling sensation gripped him. In an instant, something viciously gouged into his stomach. He glanced down to see a massive, wickedly sharp object protruding from his abdomen, spewing a torrent of blood. Hamza quickly shifted his gaze towards the figure responsible, dread seeping in.

 

“Found you! I've finally caught up to you, you rascals,” a dark mist surrounded the figure, emanating a deathly aura that enveloped the area like a shroud. A form he knew all too well. Observer watched in horror, her exhaustion from creating the portal rendering her unable to react.

 

An Aku minion. Here?

 

"Let the fun begin."

 

1