2 – one small step
24 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

God had assigned me to the system of a hero in another world in the same way that you accidently receive mail from your neighbors. The system had diligently recorded my stats but didn't check my name because it had probably already been entered into the system.

Looking closer at my stats, it seemed I had very high dexterity from being beaten up regularly. In addition, I had slightly higher stamina and agility from running away after having stolen something.

There was a note at the bottom.

_

Name: Alex

Race : Human

Level: 1

Exp: [10/100]

Strength: 1

Agility: 2

Stamina:

Dexterity:

You can use points to increase your stats.

_

Which one should I invest in? I could add a point to dexterity to make it a perfect 10, but it wouldn't do much except prolong beatings.

If I added strength, it still wouldn't be a match for the bullies that plagued my daily life.

So the most useful thing right now would be to add stamina or agility to help my ability to run away.

Of course it would be cool to go zoom! And disappear from their sights, but then you'd see that I was hunched over behind a tree trying to catch my breath a few meters away.

So I ended up adding the point to stamina, deciding to use the next point for agility to keep it even.

_

[+1]

Stamina: 3

Note : You can open the system just by thinking it in your mind.

-

[Beginner mission]

The first step to preparing for the conquest!

Of course, before even setting out on your journey, it is wise to train first. This will ensure that you don't fail on the first leg of your journey to the land of demons. Find a mentor to teach you and develop into a stronger hero!

Reward: 2 points

[Sub missions]

[Daily] Mile run: 0.1 points per mile [max 10 miles]

Overcome your weakness and defeat your enemies that frequently defeat you: 5 points

-

How much calories would training and running burn? I wasn't eating enough and the prospect of purposely making myself hungrier wasn't very appealing. Also, defeating my bullies seemed impossible, considering the state my body was in. Any fat or muscle that I gained would be quickly consumed in order to keep me alive. I was really just skin and bone.

Luckily there wasn't any penalty or time limit if I didn't complete this mission. Maybe one day when I was in a better place it would be better to start these missions.

How was I supposed to get a mentor anyway? Pay for martial arts lessons? It was impossible.

It wouldn't be much, but if I ran a mile a day, I could slowly gather up points for the future.

I got up and started to jog home, though I wasn't sure you could consider it that with how slow I was going. It would at least be a mile, right?

In just a few seconds my legs started to hurt, and my breathing got more desperate and I could hear my heart beating in my ears. The emptiness of my stomach felt so apparent now. I found myself wishing I had eaten something. My bag bounced up and down on my back. The positive thing I could say was that it was at least cool since it was early morning.

Though I felt like I was dying. Somehow, this was the most alive I had ever felt in my life. Like I was actually doing something that slowly but surely I would get stronger.

Then I went back to cursing this world for making me so weak.

When I arrived home thirsty and breathless. I quietly unlocked the back door and snuck into my room, avoiding all the creaky spots of the wooden plank floor. Then I slowly shut my door.

I collapsed on my bed and stared at the cracked white ceiling.

"Mission," I murmured.

I scrolled down to the sub missions.

_

[Sub missions]

[Daily] Mile run: 0.1 points per mile [max 10 miles]

Distance completed: 1 miles [+0.1]

Overcome your weakness and defeat your enemies that frequently defeat you: 5 points

_

As much as I wanted to sleep, I had to finish my homework, so I dragged myself to my desk and took out the beat up laptop that was rented from the school. I plugged it into its charger and started it and set up my textbooks. While waiting for it to boot up, I drank what was left in my plastic water bottle to quench my thirsty throat.

A few days later...

Running had started to become a routine, and I picked a lot of apples and citrus fruits to eat in order to combat my lack of energy.

I didn't know how to describe it but despite using more energy I felt like I had more energy? I was steadily add 0.1 points to my stats everyday. Now I could run about 2 miles if I pushed myself.

Now my stats looked a bit like this

_

Agility: 2.6

Stamina: 3.9

_

My agility and stamina had also increased naturally without having to add points since I was running regularly. 

"Hey! Get back here!"Lee Seokhyun shouted. He and his lackeys ran after me.

Of course, it hurt to run, and it was opening up my wounds, but wouldn't this happen if I let myself get beat up, anyway?

I tripped. The asphalt quickly approached my face, but my forearms caught me and I skidded across the rough path. Grazing my skin, and there was the familiar sting of an injury. There was the slap of shoes on the path behind me as they caught up and a foot was dug into my side. "Did you actually think you could escape?" one of his lackeys asked. They laughed.

They stomped all over me.

Nobody is coming to save you.

Get up.

They pulled me back as I tried to crawl away. I blocked their blows with my arms and I could feel my breath being forced out of me.

Get up!

My vision started to blur, and my ears started to ring. I felt desperate to prove that I was different. I wasn't the same as before.

fuck me.

As my consciousness slipped away, I heard a distant voice.

"Don't interfere old geezer, or do you want to get beat up too?"

"You kids better start running or you'll regret it."

 

 

 

 

 

2