Chapter 30 – To the Railroads
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sector 24.

A sector of fallen architecture and darkness.

Travelers roamed around with lanterns to navigate their way through the gloomy cobblestone streets. Most people hung around makeshift campfires to rest and keep themselves warm. Beggars sat beside the cracked walls of bricks and stone, hoping that some good samaritan would come and help them. 

Others were hard-workers that had set up stores around the place and offered their services and products to anyone who passed by. However, they were mostly associated with the Midas Hogs. No wonder they had accumulated such wealth in a poor sector such as this.

I treaded carefully on the streets, trying not to catch their attention. It didn’t seem like they knew what happened back in the mines, so they were just doing their business as usual.

How does it feel, Lars?

Gray manifested herself, walking alongside me with a grin on her face.

You gave it your all to free the slaves, but what did you get in return? Hostility. They vilify you because of your association with the Midas Hogs. In fact, if it weren’t for their leader, they might have killed you. Do you truly think they were worth saving in the first place?

It feels terrible. Just as I thought I was being acknowledged for my good deeds, they were blaming me for what had happened to them. Most of them didn’t even bother thanking me for what I did. 

That’s just how it is. People won’t always be grateful for the things you do for them. Don’t rely on them to return the favor.

It’s fine. To me, what truly matters is that I’m doing what I think is right. Even if I’m hated for it, I’ll do my best to help others in need.

Uhm, like those people? Gray pointed in a certain direction.

“I-It’s the cat boy!” an old man yelled. “Don’t let him get away this time!”

Oh no. It’s them.

The old man and a bunch of other people surrounded me, all extending their hands.

“Please give us food and water! We know you have some to spare! Have pity on us!” they begged me.

“I’m sorry, I don’t have enough for all of you,” I waved my hand.

I tried to move their hands away as gently as possible, but they continued to persist. Some even tried to grab on to my cloak and pouch.

Tsk, I don’t want to hurt these people, but they’re taking this a little too far. Should I just force my way through?

If it were me, I would threaten them to back away. That way, you won’t hurt anybody in the process.

I think the word ‘threaten’ sounds too harsh, it’s more like I should warn them.

“Everyone, if you don’t stop touching me, I’ll have to use for-”

BANG! BANG!

Gunshots fired from a distance, scaring everyone away and emptying the streets. It was coming from a person in a red hood, laughing while spinning her revolvers in a spectacular fashion.

“You can’t just leave a girl hanging, Lars!” Scarlet ran towards me.

“Was that really necessary?” I asked.

“Are you really complaining to the girl who saved you from those pesky beggars?”

“Fair enough. But look, you’ve gained the attention of the remaining Midas Hogs,” I pointed.

The sudden noise made many of them come out into the streets with their guns ready for fire.

“Hey, what are you doing causing trouble around here?!” one of them screamed.

“Uhhh….that was a misinput, hehe!” Scarlet scratched her head. “Oh, look! What’s that?!” She pointed to a random space.

“Huh?”

As soon as they looked away from us, Scarlet grabbed my arm and dragged me away.

“Run!”

“Wait, that’s the Scarlet Hood! Get back here!”

“Hector’s reign is over, idiots!” Scarlet turned her head and pulled out her tongue.

“W-What?”

The men chasing after us stopped in their tracks and looked at each other.

After a little bit of running, there was no longer anyone behind us and Scarlet slowed down. She let go of my hand and took a deep sigh.

“Phew, we lost them.”

“Scarlet.”

She turned her head towards me. “What is it?”

“Why are you still following me?”

Scarlet tilted her head. “We’re partners, aren’t we?”

“That was only for defeating Hector and the Midas Hogs. Now that we have accomplished our objective, there’s no reason for us to be together anymore.”

“So you’re just going to ditch me just like that?” Scarlet looked at me with disappointment in her eyes.

“I think it’s for the best,” I sighed. “I’m not a good person, so you shouldn’t associate with someone like me. I’ve been banished twice. Once from the Over Sectors and now from Sector 24. My life is full of misfortune, I just don’t want you to be dragged down along with me. I’m better off being left alone.”

Scarlet stared forwards and didn’t say a word. Then, she placed her hand on her chin and looked at me.

“What are you talking about? I just so happen to not be a good person who’s unfortunate too, hehe!” Scarlet nudged my shoulder. “In fact, most people in the Under Sectors aren’t good anyway.”

“Besides,” Scarlet hugged my arm. “I don’t think you’re a bad person either. You’re an interesting guy who’s probably got some stories to tell! Why wouldn’t I wanna hang out with someone as cool and strong as you?”

“I-I’m not that strong,” I scratched my head.

“Then what about those magic powers of yours or the fact that you choose to use a sword? Tell me all about it!”

“If you’re that persistent on coming with me, then suit yourself. I guess you can tag along for the ride. But to be honest with you, I don’t know where to go.”

Scarlet went in front of me and flicked my forehead. 

“Seriously…you were thinking of going alone, but you don’t have any direction? That’s exactly why you need someone like me as your tour guide! The prettiest tour guide you’ll ever meet!” She pointed at herself and winked.

Looking at her physical features, it was reasonable to say that she was indeed a pretty girl. That lone ruby eye, that chestnut brown hair and that impish, yet cute smile. Most normal guys would have fallen for someone like her. But…….

“Actually, you aren’t the prettiest tour guide,” I said.

“Huh?!” Scarlet’s eyes bulged. “Are you saying there’s someone prettier than me?!”

“Perhaps,” I walked past her.

“H-Hey! You have to tell me! Seriously! I need to know whoever that’s supposed to be!”

“That’s a story for another time…..I’m not ready to talk about it.”

“Hmph! Fine!” Scarlet pouted and stayed silent for the rest of the walk.

Heh, what a cutie. You know I could show myself to her if you wanted. But that would require a couple of energy points from you.

It sounds more like you want to be the one to show yourself to her. Why exactly would it require a couple of energy points?

That’s because you’d have to create a physical manifestation of me, which normally requires Magia. That would be equivalent to giving away your energy just for me to show up in front of others.

All right, so that’s an unnecessary feature. I won’t do it.

Well, you can once you get strong enough. It won’t even be a struggle once you reach a certain level.

Do levels involve numbers?

Nah, I prefer more……qualitative ways of measuring power.

“We’re here!” Scarlet said.

We had found ourselves right in front of a giant gaping tunnel with damaged railroad tracks. Inside, there was an empty campsite filled with wooden makeshift houses, tents and supplies scattered throughout the sides of the tracks. Beyond that was a tall gate blocking the view of the other side.

“Where did everyone go?” I said. “There’s supposed to be people guarding this place.”

“Who cares? Let’s just go take all their supplies!” Scarlet said.

“Isn’t that stealing?”

“Well, uh..not exactly.” Scarlet shrugged. “There’s nobody around! This place is abandoned anyway, so it’s more like scavenging for supplies. We’re gonna need them on our journey.”

Are you seriously still thinking about how immoral such an act could be?

Well….you’re still taking people’s belongings…

No point in being too much of a goody two shoes if you want to survive. Remember, you would have already died if you kept up that overly self-righteous act. You chose differently, and that’s why you’re still alive. There’s no turning back now. Besides, it’s not stealing if no one owns them anymore. 

I know, but I’d like to hold onto my ideals as much as possible. I’m just being careful about how I act.

In the grand scheme of things, you should strive to aim for the bigger picture, the greater good, instead of narrowly thinking about such trivial things. Think about how this will help you help more people in the future. Have you ever thought about that?

You have a point….

Scarlet and I collected as much supplies as we could and stuffed them down some backpacks we found. This included money, ammunition, food, water, healing potions and more. After we had finished our scavenging, we went towards the wooden gates and opened them together.

It turns out that the path ahead was going to be long.

“Let’s go, Lars,” Scarlet said. “Sector 23, here we come!”

I wonder what lies in store for our journey.

0