Chapter 37
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I turn the paintbrush in my left hand over and over.

“How does it feel, Alvaro? Is it close to how it was before?”

“Unfortunately, it never will. It’s just something I will have to accept, Huehue. My mind is really struggling.” Back in our room, I try to run through some exercises with my left hand. The mind-to-muscle connection is not there the same as it was with my right hand. I still try to use my right hand from time to time, only to realize it is gone as soon as I reach for an item.

“Papi, don't push yourself. I’m sure it will come back in time.” Milagros is always the cheerleader. Sometimes, she is not enough though.

Milagros picks up her pencils and paper off the table. She returns her tools back to their designated area. It's normal to have two oil lamps in a room due to the cost but Elena went to bed early and she allowed us the use her lamp. I'll have to have Huehue return it to her room later.

“Are you all right with just sitting there all night?"

“I’m listening to your brush strokes. They have a lulling effect. I feel very at peace.” Huehue’s ears flick back and forth. Her tail remains calm and at her side with merely the tip lifting off the ground from time to time.

“If only you could see his work. Papi is a great artist!”

A long, deep sigh escapes my lips. “I WAS a good artist, mija.”

“IS a wonderful artist.” Elena walks inside holding a candle and dressed in her nightgown and robe.

“Oh, I'm sorry Elena. Are we making too much noise?” I try to be as courteous to my neighbors as possible. The walls can be pretty thin and allow too much noise to go through. Milagros can be a loud talker before bedtime and I try to get her to whisper. Doesn’t always work out.

“Yes, but that is not the reason why I'm here. And you are a wonderful artist. I will not have you speak poorly of your talents.” Elena gives the most non-threatening scowls. She’s a beautiful woman. So it’s hard to see her in any other light.

“But…”

‘No buts, Alvaro. Anyways. Here. I received this earlier today and I forgot to pass it on to you.”

“What is it, Papi?"

I grab the envelope from Elena’s hand. “It’s another mission request from Sister Romina.”

Elena’s scowl turns to an expression of deep concern as she furrows her eyebrows. “What does it say?”

I look over at Elena.

Elena turns away and shrugs. “Don’t look at me, I never opened it.”

“She’s lying.” Huehue quickly stands to her feet. She’s always ready for a fight.

“No, I'm not, Huehue. Now, sit down!”

“Lying!” Huehue hisses the accusation out into the room.

“No! How dare you!”

“Lying lying lying! Ha!” Huehue dances around the room. Huehue likes to make Elena squirm from time to time.

“Alvaro, can you please tell this young woman that it is not polite to make false accusations?”

“Alvaro, can you please tell this old lady that I can hear heartbeats change when lies are told.”

“I’m not an old lady. You're the older one.”

“True but you are still lying.”

“Elena?” She fails to look and me and instead focuses her eyes on the ground. A red hue comes to her cheeks.

“All right! Yes, it's true I read it. Happy now?!” Elena purses her lips tightly, turns away, and crosses her arms across her buxom.

“Ha! I never thought you'd actually be lying.”

Elena’s jaw drops. “So you didn’t know?”

“Nope, just messing with you, E-le-na!”

“You horrible…!” Elena picks up my shoe and throws it at Huehue who dodges as she laughs with delight.

“Elena?”

“Yes?”

“What did the note say?”

“It’s best you read it for yourself.”

Huehue is still rolling on the ground. Despite her blindness, based on her penance, she still finds ways to have fun. I look over the note. It’s short and quick. Not much to it.

“Well, the bad news: Sister Romina is running out of funding to keep the orphanage open.”

“What will happen to the kids? Papi, a lot of them are my friends in school.”

“I’m impressed. Romina has a lot on her plate. She has the rebels, the church, her own studies, plus the education of all the children.”

“You never tell me how impressed you are with me!”

“Huehue, of course, I’m impressed with you. Just because I don’t say it doesn’t mean I don’t feel it.”

“Hmph!” This time she turns crosses her arms and purses her lips together. She acts hurt but her tail tells me otherwise. Gracias a Dios, for I don’t want to be on her bad side.

“I don’t know what we can do for the orphans. If it wasn’t for Huehue trying to get things done around here we would be out on the street as well.”

“Does Romina have any ideas, Papi?” Milagros reaches for my knee as she looks over my hand to glance at the note.

“Yes. It’s actually a good one. Tell her, Alvaro.”

“Elena is right. Romina wants to have a bazaar at the church grounds for the community.”

“What is a bazaar?” Huehue’s inquisitive nature and appetite get the better of her. She reenters the conversation as if she never left.

“Its a festival. People set up shops and services and games.”

“So it’s like the market.”

“Yes, but the goal is to raise money for a charity, but at the market, everyone is trying to raise money for themselves.

I continue looking over the note. “Romina says in the note that she is worried about local thieves. She’s heard that the Commandante sometimes organizes thieves to enter the town. They provide work for the military and make themselves look like heroes.”

“I can keep an eye out on the thieves. But I will need you to stay here, with the mirror.”

“Papi, I really wanted you to be there with us.”

“Us? What did you have planned, Milagros?”

“How about having Huehue perform for the people? She can do tricks and stuff. Right, Huehue?”

“That is an excellent idea. Good job, Milagros. I agree with her, Alvaro. Have Huehue there showing off. You know she likes the attention.”

“How about it, Huehue? You can do the tricks and perform for people."

“Sounds fun. I can look out for the thieves with my special powers!"

“Yes, your hearing can pick up on a lot.” I know this firsthand from my experience in “riding” along Huehue’s consciousness.

“Don’t forget my cute nose!”

“Yes, that too!” Huehue can always find a way to make me smile.

...

0