Chapter 43
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 
I can't believe it. I can't. This is the second time in my life that my mundane life has been affected by the growing threat of the outside world.
 
“Run Milagros! Don't look back.”
 
“I’m not going to go without you, Papi!”
 
“You have to! I'm dead weight! I’ll slow you down!”
 
I can’t run in my condition much less walk. Milagros and her safety are all I can think about. The gunshots and explosives overhead have blown out my hearing. I can only hear a high-pitched squeal. Milagros's lips move but nothing seems to come out from them. The people in my neighborhood have all fled from the town and into the desert. I see bodies laying on the floor. Soldiers on horseback run past me through the streets of our beloved pueblo. If one approaches me from behind, I will have no warning. The soldiers have no concern for the people of the village.
 
I fall to the ground. Milagros’ form is obscured by the clouds of dust. I hope she made it out.
 
 
*****
 
A cool taste of water passes by my lips. I open my eyes startled to find myself still alive. A pair of golden eyes look back at me. The rest of her face follows into focus. I forget how beautiful Huehue is. She’s a god. Of course, she is gorgeous. She can make herself even more beautiful if she so desires. I recall stories detailing her promiscuous ways. I shut that down as quickly as I could. I don’t want to think about her with other people that way.
 
“Alvaro? Can you hear me?”
 
I look at her again. I know that she cannot see me, but I feel that she is staring back at me.
 
“Yes…yes? I think I can hear you without…this blasted ringing. It’s like life is just tearing me apart, bit by bit. Now I’m going to have this blasted ringing in my ears for who knows how long is left for me to live.”
 
Huehue hugged me. Out of nowhere. I feel her tears coming down her cheek and wetting my face.
 
“Huehue?”
 
I’m sorry, Alvaro. I can’t see you. And with all the gunpowder and screaming, I couldn’t trace your nor Milagros’ scents. We were separated and then…I actually panicked. In all my existence I never felt that way before.
 
“Well, I’d never think anyone would care for me like this…”
 
“Bite your tongue. You have several people who care about you."
 
She scolds me with the same intensity as she squeezes me in her arms. I look around the room. We are in an old deserted hut outside the town. We are near the edge of the wilderness, on the opposite side of the mission and the fort. Milagros grabs onto my hand and holds it against her face.
 
“Milagros? You are safe as well.”
 
“Papi, I thought I lost you. Huehue found you face down on the ground. We thought…I thought you were dead. Please don’t leave me.”
 
I grab her to me. Huehue does not release me as I pull Milagros close.
 
“No, mija. I will stay around as long as I can, at least until I know you will always be safe.”
 
“We should get going, Alvaro.”
 
“Where should we take Papi?” Milagros clasps at my torn clothes
 
“Did anyone else make it out? Elena? Rocio? Sepúlveda?”
 
“I don't know.”
 
“Huehue…if you go back you can find out for us right?”
 
“Papi? Why would you send her into danger?”
 
“Don’t worry pequeña. I can't die.”
 
Just because you are a god doesn't mean you can't die, Huehue. You don't know what can kill you.”
 
“I’m pretty sure a stronger god could kill me but against humans, I'm pretty invincible.” She winks in Milagros direction.
 
“I’m so glad you have confidence.”
 
“I need your help though.”
 
“I’m sorry, Huehue. I don’t think I can. I forgot to bring the mirror when we escaped.”
 
Are you talking about this one, Papi? It looks like a shiny, flat black rock.
 
“Milagros? How? When?”
 
“I took it from the nightstand as you pulled me out of the room.”
 
“Gracias a Dios!”
 
“De nada!” Huehue smirks and giggles. All this and a steady stream of tears rolled down her cheeks.
 
...
0