Chapter 46
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So what is this about?” I ask Dr. Sepúlveda as we enter her little clinic.

“Well, as you know, I helped several of the wounded soldiers.”

“Yes. Huehue…told me. Enemy combatants.”

“Yes, but they were in need, Alvaro. I hope you do not think less of me for doing so.”

“Why would I? It is part of your profession. To help those in need. To do no harm. And so on and so forth.”

“Hey! I do that too!” Huehue chimes in from the corner of the room.

“Yes, Huehue. In a different manner but yes.”

“You are always incredible, Huehue.” Milagros always acts awestruck whenever Huehue recounts her adventures. This is no different. I’m afraid Huehue’s self-esteem will go through the roof.

“Thank you, Pequena.”

“There is something else?” I continue the conversation with the good doctor. Milagros meanwhile showers Huehue with accolades.

“Yes. The soldiers were dressed in the attire of another country. They were men from the nearby towns.”

“How do you know this?”

“I’m bilingual, Alvaro. And I lived in a coastal town, before. The soldiers from other countries had lighter hair, fairer skin, and blue or green eyes. These soldiers looked like the people here and they did not speak any other language but what is known here. Even their accents were tied to the local people.”

“So why would someone take people from around the region and use them in this manner?” After a brief pause, it hits me. “To persuade the people to give up more of their freedoms for safety and protection.”

“By whom?” Huehue still manages to listen to the conversation. She pipes in more out of curiosity instead of trying to remain informed of the situation.

"By the Comandante, Huehue. He has already incited violence against the indigenous people. The townspeople have formed in solidarity with the indigenous tribes. The Comandante needed a different way to instill fear into the people.”

“At what cost, Alvaro? The people’s lives?”

“Probably all to make things more believable. He didn’t suffer anything but a few rope burns at the hands of the enemy. Besides, you have lived for centuries. You are aware of what war, famine, pestilence, and suffering do to people. Above all else, the want for power.”

“When I volunteered my help at the presidio to attend to the injured he refused. He did not allow me access into the fort.”

“That has to be it. The Comandante is trying to take more power from the people. He desires to place himself into a position of total and absolute control.”

A knock at the door interrupts our deep discussion. The fate of people living in the pueblo and outer communities will have to wait.

“Were you expecting someone, Dr.?”

“Probably a patient. Wait here, everyone.”

Dr. Sepúlveda opens the front door. “Lt. Lavina? This is an unexpected pleasure. Please come in."

“Thank you, Dr. I am actually here to see the other occupants in your clinic.”

“Good morning, Lavina. How are you doing? How are your men?”

“They are doing fine, Alvaro. Thank you for asking. I have a special note for your new assistant.”

Huehue’s ears perk up as does her tail. “For me,” she squeaks.

“Yes. From the Comandante. It seems he was impressed by your skills at the bazaar earlier. He is holding a banquet for the visitors from Spain and he wishes to have you as his plus one."

Despite being blind, Huehue turns to look at me.

“I refuse.” She turns her nose up and away from Lt. Lavina.

“Let me make something clear. Whatever the Comandante wants, he gets. It is only a matter of time.” Lavina sounds like she is speaking on a more personal level. Perhaps this runs deeper than she lets on.

“Is that what happened with you, Lavina?”

“Are you still holding a grudge towards me becoming a soldier, Alvaro?” Lavina’s tone grew aggressive and defiant.

“No. I just don’t like the idea that you became one of the Comandante’s cronies. I felt you were forced.”

“I had nothing after you left me for your woman. So what do you expect?”

“My woman? What are you talking about? Do you mean Milagros’ mother? And why am I only hearing this now?” I look at her through the gap between my bandages that conceal a part of my face.

“You stopped working with me the moment you tied the knot. You neglected your duties to the people…to me.”

“Why would you say that? I thought you were happy for me?”

“You want the truth? After all these years? Really? Fine. I was never happy for you. Never. I only did what I could…”. Lavina stops midsentence. She looks at the people present in the room. “Perhaps this is a talk for another time. You have the invitation, Huehue. It is for you…alone. We will set up an escort for you to the Presidio on the night of the banquet. Please, be ready. Formal attire is required.” Lavina bows and leaves the clinic.

“Well…that was odd.”

The women in my room all stare in my direction. I remain silent for a moment.

“Ahem. Well, thank you, Dr. For the information. We will meditate on it and coordinate with los Rebeldes and Sister Romina. Please excuse us. Have a wonderful day.”

I walk out the door with Huehue and Milagros a step behind. We remain silent for the rest of the morning.

...

0