Chapter 50
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As blind as Huehue may be, she is nonetheless brilliant on the battlefield. I watch her carve a path through the soldiers. She no longer holds back, as I would, knowing what is at stake. She leaps and bounds about. She uses her dual magical pistols and changes them to dual blades or back into a whip. She takes on all the soldiers.

She passes by the hostages and frees them. She forms small magical shields to block pistol and rifle fire from the soldiers. Her hearing and sense of smell give her an advantage over the soldiers. She can pinpoint their location. I wave my arms at the hostages, directing them to the outer perimeter.

A group of soldiers brings about the old rusty canons. I move as quickly as I can to intercept them from behind. The good thing is that I’m still good with my non-dominant hand at the use of the whip.

“Huehue! Did you free all the hostages!”

“All those on the battlefield. All I smell…are… gunpowder and leather.”

The soldiers have given up on shooting her from a distance. They cannot load their rifles or pistols fast enough to hit Hueue. They begin to rely on their rapiers and bayonets. Huehue makes short work of them too.

“Blast you, Lavina! Where are you!"

I turn to spot a lone shadow appearing out of the presidio doorway. The figure holds a pistol in one hand and a rapier in the other. The medals on the figure’s uniform glisten from the light of the pistol fire and torches.

“You have come at last, Lavina. I was wondering when the Commandante would release your leash.”

“That’s a bold statement to make, Huehue. Let us see how skilled you are in close combat.”

“Do you really wish to make that gamble, Lavina? Have you not seen what I can do?”

“My life is little but a token in the grand scheme of things, Huehue. En garde!”

The two women clash with their blades. Lavina places her hand holding the pistol behind her. She knows she only has one shot and uses her sword with the other. Huehue changes her weapons depending on the situation but not in this case. She uses her dual blades, flipping them around in her hand, to block and strike Lavina. Even with Huehue’s blindness, she still is a better fighter than Lavina could ever hope to be.

“You are tiring Lavina. Let this end. Step aside. Milagros is still missing.”

“She is with the Commandante. She is safe, for the time being.”

“She will be safer…if she was…with…her father!”

“In that case, you are right. Let us move this along.”

Lavina lunges at Huehue, losing her footing in the process. Huehue strikes a hard hit to the side of Lavina’s face and kicks the sword away from her.

“Why would you commit such an error in your stance, Lavina.”

I sped the process along. I lost. I would have lost sooner or later to you, Huehue. You outmatch me in every way. I have seen you dance and fight. No one on earth can match you. I want you to save Milagros. I have to live by my orders and die for my honor.

“What are you saying?”

“Alvaro? ALVARO! I am sorry for everything. I dishonored your trust and guidance. I dishonored my soul by taking sides with the Commandante. All out of jealousy and a broken heart. I love you. Always have. Always will.”

Lavina takes the pistol and fires a single round into her stomach before I can reach her.

“Please, Alvaro. Forgive…me…”

I hold her close to my chest as she passes on.

*****

“What a pity. She was a good woman. In more ways than one. But I’m afraid you never knew that about her, did you Alvaro?”

The Commandante steps forward onto his balcony holding my daughter by the wrist. I can see the bruising along her delicate arms. Her tear-stricken face screams in desperation. My heart breaks at the sight.

“Leave her be, Commandante. I don’t know what you want, but I know Milagros is not a part of it.”

“Children are an extension of their parents. She’s a part of you. And if the only way to rid me of you is through her, then I will use whatever leverage I can get. And I definitely want to hurt you. Breaking you first is an added bonus.”

“Look at me! I’m nothing. I have been maimed and tortured and defeated time and time again. What more do you want?”

My lungs burn from the exhaustion and heat of the landscape. The desperation takes hold of me, but I try to push it back. Losing control can cost me my daughter’s life. I need to bring her home.

“I want your life. And the lives of those that have touched yours. The Sister in the church for her rebellious ways. The landlady for harboring you. Even the doctor and merchant woman for providing you help. I’ll take out the whole town if it means getting with you. At first, I tried to do it politically. And then I tried to scare people of outsiders. And finally, I tried to use force. But the people would not give me total dominion over them. They loved and adored you and used you and your pathetic peacekeeping ways as an excuse. Kindness…forgiveness…gratitude! I’m sick of it all. You are weak and you made this town weak. I wouldn’t be interested in this area if not for the quarry and the ores available. You forced my hand. I pursued other interests from the outside. And as you can see?”

He waves his hands around. Soldiers enter the presidio by horseback.

“My army is larger. My military might have increased in strength and by numbers.”

“And what about your partners? A man like you hardly ever shares.”

“Don’t worry about them. I know what to do. I will use you and los Rebeldes as an excuse to gain the people’s trust. When I am done, they will adore me to the point that they will not care if I commit a heinous act in front of their own eyes.”

“You are crafty, but despicable nonetheless.” I grow weary of the situation but hold out for my little girl. “You win. I will give you my life for my daughter’s.”

“Oh no. I want her life as well.”

He points to Huehue.

“No Papi! No Huehue!”

Milagros protests as she can. She scratches and bites at the Commandante. I forget about my physical limitations and drop my cane. I run as fast as I can.

“You mestizo! Away with you. I need you no longer.”

The Commandante yanks Milagros away from his face and throws her off the balcony.

*****

I dive with all the energy left in me. Time slows to a crawl. I dive as far as I can and I catch her in my arms. I drop to the ground to break her fall with my own body. I cradle her despite the pain.

“Papi! I love you so much. I am sorry I could not do more for you.”

“Do not worry, hermosa. You are safe. Here in my arms, you will always be safe."

I feel something wet in my hand. I rub it against my fingers and bring it close to my eye. I look up and see the smoking pistol in the Commandante’s hand. I stifle out a scream, but no sound comes out from my lips.

“Alvaro! Please! Do you think I would carelessly drop her from my grasp and into your arms? Honestly, I could have waited to shoot you in your grief. But this is more satisfying.”

My world is torn apart in front of my very eye. The horror of losing my daughter at the hands of a maniacal narcissist wrangles me with pain. It is a pain I am all too familiar with. I finally scream and cry and clench her little body. The military begins to fire upon us from their mounts.

I bend over her body to shield her, but I know it is to no avail. I close my eye and hope for a quick death. I barely notice Huehue’s transformation into a hybrid beast. The pistols and rifles are soon silenced as are the men.

“What are you!” I hear the Commandante scream at his attacker. I look up and see the Commandante squirming in a Huehuecoyotl’s grasp. She has become savage and more animal in her appearance.

“You can’t do this. I will be avenged!”

“No one will avenge you much less remember you fondly. And I know that the path before you will be a horrible one. I will make certain you begin that journey tonight.”

“Agh!”

The screams and suffering of an evil man make little difference to the pain in my heart.

With my remaining strength, I pick up Milagros's still-warm body and head for the edge of the quarry. I hear the snarling sounds of a beast as it destroys its prey behind me.

It is pointless. My mind and body are numb as I continue to move forward. I clench my little girl’s body close as I turn around. I see the beast leap from the balcony and run through countless bodies in an attempt to reach me. But it is too late. No form of love or medicine can repair me.

There is nothing left for me. It is best that I go. I close my eye and fall back toward the darkness. I mouth the last words I can muster from my dry, cracked lips: I love you. I don’t know if she heard me, but there is nothing left for me as I wait for the pain and impact of the rocks below.

Every memory from the past few years passes before my mind as I await.

...

0