Chapter 44: Well, shit
3.7k 12 68
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alex's point of view:

My bedroom door opened abruptly, startling me. I hadn't heard the person's hurried footsteps and laughter until very late, so my heart skipped a beat, but it calmed down immediately when I saw who it was. Luna quickly ran up to me and hid behind me, only peeking her head out from behind my back to look at the door with mockery and some anticipation.

I thought about scolding her for coming in without knocking, but quickly shook my head. I wasn't changing or anything, I was just standing in front of the small mirror next to my closet looking at my face and it gave away that something strange had happened, so there was no reason to scold her.

"What did you do, Luna?" I asked, judging by the look on her face, she must have pissed someone off.

Luna started to answer, but the answer came through the door, with Nola frowning and looking directly at Luna, who was hiding behind my back.

As soon as Luna saw Nola, she clung to my back, "Don't let her hit me, Alex!"

I could hear Luna holding back a laugh, but I thought it was kind of funny, so I stepped in front of her to protect her.

"Why do you want to hit her, Nola? Y-you came here drunk again? Y-you promised you wouldn't do it again." I asked in a shaky voice.

Nola opened her mouth and gave me an incredulous look. "What? I was not going to hit her!"

"She was!" Luna said from behind me.

I shook my head. "Nola... I thought you were different."

"She's clearly faking it!" Nola pointed indignantly at Luna.

We couldn't take it anymore and Luna and I let out the laughter we were holding back at the almost frightened look on Nola's face.

"Nola is still as stupid as ever." Luna laughed at Nola's expense, clutching her stomach as she pointed at her.

Nola frowned, but said nothing except to cross her arms.

"Well, well," I said, wanting to continue with the reason for her visit. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh yeah!" Luna suddenly forgot her laughter and straightened up. "Alex, my big brother, your little sister is worried about you." She nodded, "You've been acting strange, has something happened?"

I glanced at Nola, who was paying close attention to the conversation, and shook my head, looking Luna in the eyes, "Nothing, I just got a little dizzy in the car.

Luna nodded, seemingly reluctant, but that was only because she made a slight grimace. "Your breath smells strange..." She said, looking me up and down suspiciously.

"Ah, yes, um, it's the ice cream I ate." I quickly explained. "I tried one of those demi-human ice creams."

"Oh..." Luna gave me a last look before shrugging her shoulders. "It's okay then. If you feel bad, tell someone."

I nodded at her. "I'm going to take a shower and then make dinner, is that okay with you?"

"It's fine with me," Luna nodded back.

I gave Nola a quick look before I left the room, I was still a little confused so it was best to take a cold shower and brush my teeth.

(***)

I was preparing a simple dinner, the essence appliances were starting to not look like something out of a movie when I could at least turn them on, at the same time I discovered that the house was powered by something called an essence tank. From the quick internet search I discovered that it was something like a gas tank in my old world and was used to power the house and some compatible appliances so the user didn't have to use their essence continuously and boringly for a simple task like keeping the lights on.

It wasn't very expensive either, since the essence is practically free, and you could make your own tank if you had enough time, so it cost a few dollars. This took energy conservation to the next level, electricity seemed pretty obsolete with magic.

Thinking about it, I brought the pasta dishes to the table where all the women in the house sat. They sniffed the air excitedly, looking for the food, and I smiled as I placed the plates in their respective places. Although I could see that Luna was practically drooling at the food, she had enough self-control to wait for me to sit down.

When I did, hardly any words were spoken and we all began to eat. It was a peaceful meal, with idle but entertaining chatter and we all laughed at what everyone had to say. Nothing came out and no one seemed to suspect anything, Nola acted normal so did I and seeing everyone here together as a family made me doubt my decision even more, I didn't want this to be ruined because I couldn't keep it in my pants.

However, I still hadn't made a decision and with my mind spinning, I finished my dinner and went to my room.

(***)

I decided to distract myself a bit by looking at social networks, but a notification I had seen a few times caught my attention.

CallaMeMaybe sent you a message.

It was that weird application again, I pressed it again and as expected it asked for a password, I was about to shrug my shoulders when I remembered something related to a password.

"That can't be right, can it?" I asked no one in particular. "It can't be that stupid... Purrfect..... something, Purrfect! Kitty Whiskers!"

I started typing in the password I had been given at Peyton's house, just to try all the possibilities before I gave up, and when I finished typing, the screen unlocked with a transition and took me to a feed that was frighteningly similar to an application used by many women in my former world to sell their bodies for a few dollars.

" I can't be that stupid... "I whispered under my breath, almost praying as I pressed the icon that showed my profile. "Uh..."

It took me to a feed where I was clearly me, albeit with a mask, making a peace sign.

"Well, shit."

68