Chapter 36: Lord Sky’s Request
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Four years ago, William would have buried his head in the food on the table before him, the colorful fruits, the steaming meat dipped in honey, the sparkly wine in brass goblets. But a man was usually a product of the circumstances that fashioned him; like water, taking the shape of whatever condition contained them.

-

“Sir Ulrich,” the man across the table began, “I have heard that you are an excellent sport with the lance and a genius with the sword. Is that not so?”

 

William pursed his lips and scratched his chin. “I might say “Yes” or “No” and either response will be a lie.”

 

“But I have heard you never lost at either sports since you began,” said the man, with eager eyes. He was short with a face as round as his fat body. “Please, assure me your skills are exactly what they are rumored to be.”

 

William let out a sigh. “I wield them well enough to defend myself and sometimes land a blow or two on the enemy, Lord Sky. In what way might my skills be of service?”

 

“My daughter…” Lord Sky began before breaking off into sobs. He grabbed a cloth from the table and blew his red nose into it. “Tell me, have you heard of Thorne Fergundy?”

 

“Thorne?” William repeated. “The one I have heard of is the sort of folk you don’t want nothing to do with.”

 

“And I don’t!” Lord Sky cried out. “Do you know what it is he does? He takes daughters of nobles like me, and then challenges the said noble to win her back in a duel.”

 

“That is wicked,” said William, “He must know the nobles are either too old or unfit to win any duel, except it be imposing exorbitant taxes over their people. There, they are invincible.”

 

Lord Sky swallowed, chagrined. “Thorne allows knights try and fight for the women, though,” said he.

 

“He shows mercy,” William remarked, although the look on Sky’s face said he didn’t think so.

 

“I – I will pay you any amount you so desire if you bring me back my daughter.”

 

“I have no need for your money, lord Sky,” said William, resting his elbows on the cold stone table. “What you must do is bring down the taxes before I leave at all.”

 

“But,” Lord Sky said, chuckling. “What do you stand to gain from helping the poor that way? You can always give charity and alms to the beggars.”

 

“Some poor people don’t beg,” said William, “They work hard to make their own money which you rip off them in the form of taxes. Do you consent to my request or do I need waste no more time?”

 

“I – fine,” said Lord Sky, slumping his shoulders. “The challenge is in seven days, north of the valley of Eros. He has warned that I cannot tell the government or bring my army; if I do so, he will kill my daughter on the spot.”

 

“What happens if I lose?” asked William.

 

Lord Sky’s face paled. “The knight is disgraced and sent home naked, and the girls are never found again. So far, no one has managed to lay a finger on Thorne yet.”

 

“Very well,” said William, rising to his feet. “It appears you will either see me naked or returning home with your daughter in my hand.”

 

Roland, Wat and Geoffrey were all waiting at the tavern where the crew lodged when William arrived. They all stood up and sighed in relief when he came in.

 

“I couldn’t stop thinking your identity had been discovered,” said Roland, exhaling.

 

“No,” said William, “I don’t suppose that is going to happen anytime soon, and I don’t know what future remains should that happen eventually.”

 

“Enough talk about the impossible,” said Geoffrey, “Maybe the devil can trace a patent made by Geoffrey Chaucer. What did lord Sky have for you?”

 

“His daughter was kidnapped,” said William, scratching his cheeks. “Roland, how do you manage to not run mad? These beards will be the death of me; my chin and neck itch terribly.”

 

“Stop acting like an old man you're much too young just turned nineteen still and you've barely got any hair. I guess it's not too bad at least you don't have a woman’s face like Wat,” said Geoffrey, chuckling.

 

“I will fong your brains out of your skull, Chaucer,” said Wat, crossed.

 

“Enough,” said William, “Thorne purloined lord Sky’s daughter and he wants us to get her back. We leave tomorrow, Ralph and Kate will stay behind with our belongings, Kate can’t go anyways.”

 

They retired to their rooms for the night, where William turned and rolled in bed till he finally fell into the comforting hands of sleep. The last face he saw as his eyes closed shut was Lady Jocelyn smiling at him, and just behind her was a man with an equally beautiful smile, only this was filled with much sadness and pain – his father.

 

Morning came swiftly and the men set out for their adventure on their steeds. On the first, second and third day, they met lots of travelers on the way. However, that figure began to thin out by the fourth day, and on the fifth, they were traveling the paths of danger alone.

 

By the sixth day, they could see the peak of Mt. Eros, right behind which was the valley of Eros. They arrived at the valley on the dawn of the seventh day, dusty and sun beaten, but they were used to the travels.

 

“There’s no one here,” said Wat, squinting his eyes over the expansive valley covered in nameless pink flowers. The valley of Eros was like a large tournament ground surrounded by walls of mountains.

 

As if in response, an arrow flew from nowhere and struck the earth in front of them. The horses neighed in fright, and stepped backwards.

 

“There’s many people here!” Wat screamed again.

 

A band of ten men with painted faces and drawn arrows aimed at various parts of Wat, Roland, Geoffrey and William appeared from all directions; apparently, they had been hiding in the midst of the pink flowers.

1