Chapter 44: Knights do not run
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ralph and Kate were nailing the horseshoe onto the hoof of William’s chestnut that morning. Wat kept checking the horse for any sign of injury or pain, and every now and then he would say something about William being totally irresponsible for taking the horse out in the rain. Roland was trying to dress William in his armor, which wasn’t easy because William kept gesticulating as he spoke.

 

“He is alive!” said William to Roland, beaming proudly. “Can you imagine? And I was thinking he had died all this while. He was always the strongest man on the bridge, so I should have known better than to think so. I am so happy right now.”

 

“Yes, William,” said Roland, disgruntled. “You will not be so happy if this hinge latches on your skin instead of the shoulder plate.”

 

The light at the entrance flickered and everyone, except William turned to see who it was.

 

“…I should go see him again after the tournament,” said William, “And I should like to change where he lives. Do you believe a thief came into the house just last night? Good thing I was around…”

 

“Sir Ulrich?” Geoffrey said.

 

William turned about and smiled even more broadly. “Chaucer. Jocelyn? This day just gets better and better!” he said, bursting into laughter.

 

But he did notice that neither Geoffrey nor Lady Jocelyn did as much as break a smile. Instead, they kept on a mournful face, their shoulders were slouched as though in defeat, and their colors looked as though they’d been fasting for three days in a row.

 

“Did someone die?” asked Roland, who noticed the doleful appearance of Geoffrey and Lady Jocelyn.

 

“Sir Ulrich von Lichtenstein,” said Geoffrey, “They’ll bury him any moment now.”

 

“What?!” William barked.

 

Kate and Ralph stopped what they were doing.

 

“Count Adhemar had you followed last night,” said Lady Jocelyn, “To Salpool bridge. He says they saw your father.”

 

William stared, and then shrugged. “He may have,” he said to Lady Jocelyn, in shock. “I don’t know.”

 

“I was asked for your patents,” said Geoffrey. “They’re waiting for you at the lists.”

 

“Okay,” William answered simply, unable to process what's happening.

 

“William,” Geoffrey began, eagerly. “They will compare the records with theirs. The signatures and stands will not hold under scrutiny of the officers. They’re going to arrest you. I saw them myself, a dozen royal guards are heading this way as we speak. They’ll take you to the stocks in Redside to await execution.”

 

“But I must face Count Adhemar,” said William, “In five minutes time. Do you have any idea how long I have waited for that moment?!”

 

“No!” Geoffrey snapped. “It’s a forfeit, they’ve already marked it.”

 

“Saddle the horses!” Roland cried to Wat. “Listen to me William, they can arrest your baggage, not you. You must leave now.”

 

Wat, Roland, Ralph and Kate swung into action immediately, trying to pack what they could in a hastened frenzy.

 

“Hold!” said William, raising a hand. He turned to Lady Jocelyn and looked her in the eyes. “What do you think? Now that you know what I am?”

 

“To know what you are, William, would take a lifetime,” said Lady Jocelyn, “And a lifetime I am most willing to give. But right now, you must run. What else is there to do? Run and I’ll follow you!”

 

But William was already shaking his head even before Lady Jocelyn was done talking. "No,” he said, cupping the side of her face. “I cannot run. I am a knight and I will put myself to the hazard.”

 

“A knight in your heart, William,” said Roland, gritting his teeth. “You are a knight in your heart. But not on paper. And paper is all that matters to them.”

 

“No, no, I don’t believe this,” said William shaking his head in disbelief.

 

Lady Jocelyn held both of his hands and looked pleadingly into his eyes. “William, I love you,” she said, but he looked away at this, unable to hold her gaze. “And I won’t see you led away, bound for the stocks awaiting your fate.”

 

“But you would see me run? No!!!”

 

“Goddamn your pride!” Lady Jocelyn snapped at him. “YOU won’t see you run.”

 

“My pride is the only thing they can’t take away from me,” William insisted.

 

“Oh,” exclaimed Lady Jocelyn. “But they can and they will. It’s love they cannot take.”

 

William scoffed and went to his chestnut horse, rubbing its head down to the nose. “And where will we live?” he asked. “In my hovel? With the pigs inside for winter so they won’t freeze to death?”

 

“Yes, William,” said Lady Jocelyn, wiping the tears off her face. “With the pigs... With the pigs... The poor can marry for love.”

 

“Oh Jocelyn... you know not what you speak of!” William shouted teary eyed. “Your dress costs more money than we can make in a year. The poor have no tie for love, they’re too busy trying to stay alive!”

 

Lady Jocelyn exhaled. “And yet, William I beg of you. Please.”

 

William turned to Roland. “Dear friend, would you have me run?”

 

“Yes,” Roland managed to say amidst sobs.

 

He turned to Geoffrey. “Geoff, what say you?”

 

Geoffrey's tears falling profusely before he could answer in a coarse voice, “I beg it as well, William. With all the pieces of my heart.”

“Wat?” said William, turning to Wat. “You’re the bravest and most threatening of us all. Do you say we run? We're not runners?”

 

But Wat was already crying. His face was wet with tears and mucus. “Aye, Will,” he said, between tears. “Today, we are.”

 

William scoffed and turned to Ralph and his wife without a word.

 

“Run lad, run,” said Ralph unable to look him in the eye. “Run William,” added Kate.

 

And that was it; William grew and swelled with rage. “No! I will not run!!!” he said, trembling with fury. “I am a knight! Knights do not run...” getting quieter as he said that last bit still loud enough to be heard.

 

He did the last strap of his armor himself, snatched his helmet up from the floor and mounted his horse. He cast one last look at them all before kicking his horse into a trot.

1