Chapter 49: Where is Lady Jocelyn? – End of Volume One
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Sir William woke up, he first assumed he had arrived at the pearly gates. He slept on the softest bed his body had ever touched, curtains of white surrounded the bed about.

 

He tried to get up but groaned when the pain shot through his entire body. It was as though all the bones in him had been shattered, ruined, broken.

 

“You’re awake?” a familiar voice said.

 

Sir William smiled at the incredibly muscular Roland. “Where’s everyone? Where am I? What happened?”

 

“You won the tilt against Count Adhemar, but you passed out right away from injuries. We’re in the palace right now, King Edward ordered his finest surgeons to tend to you. Your father, Wat, Geoff, Ralph and Kate are probably eating as we speak.”

 

"That's good."

 

“The King has offered you a place in his ranks, what say you?” Roland asked.

 

“I am the King’s man now, Roland,” Sir William said, falling back into the bed slowly. “I am the King’s man through and through.”

 

Roland smiled but turned away in deep thought.

 

His sudden mood change was not lost on Sir William, he quickly sat up. "Roland? is something troubling you?"

 

Roland took a deep breath. "Will... No, Sir William, there's something you should know... it's about Lady Jocelyn."

 

An ominous feeling overwhelmed Sir William and he quickly stood up. “Where is she?” he asked. “Where is Jocelyn?”

 

Roland sighed. He turned his back and returned with a note. “She left this for you.”

 

Sir William glanced at Roland’s face to the letter in his hand. It was a parchment, not vellum. “Read it, skip the introduction.”

 

Roland cleared his throat.

 

By the time you read this letter, the wind would have blown away traces of my footprints from the roads,

As time will blot us from each other’s memories.

I am glad to see that you finally changed your stars, Sir William. You were so determined to do so, and you did achieve it.

This letter is very well the last note I will be sending you,

And the last time we saw each other as well.

What we shared was no more than childish affections, Sir William.

And I knew that they would lead to no where at all,

However, I did it all for the thrill of it like a foolish child.

I am now affianced to Count Adhemar, we are enroute to Messer where we shall get married immediately.

I hope you find peace, Sir William.

May you one day find a women who will truly love you as you deserve to be loved.

Jocelyn”

 

“So… she’s gone?” uttered William in shock, “I slept for one night and she’s gone?”

 

“I think it was well beyond her powers, Sir William,” replied Roland dejected, grabbing the letter. “I think Lady Jocelyn would have stayed if she had a choice.”

 

"No, this was Count Adhemar!" Sir William shouted.

 

Roland could not face him and said nothing.

 

Sir William grabbed a chair and smacked it on the ground shattering it into several pieces.

 

"I have to get her back Roland!"

 

Roland looked up with teary eyes. "Will... No, Sir William. You can't... not right now."

 

Sir William turned to him in fury and grabbed him from the collar of his shirt. "What do you mean I can't Roland? Of course I can! Ready a horse for me I will set out right now!"

 

Roland tightly gripped Sir William wrist in anguish as tears poured out. "Sir William, you are a Knight now! Under King Edward! Don't you know what that means?!" he shouted.

 

Sir William stared at him still angry.

 

"Count Adhemar didn't just take her. His estate presented documents through the Borish royal house endorsed by the King of Messers. Lady Jocelyn's father signed the marriage agreement himself. Don't you see?" Roland cried releasing his grip.

 

Sir William stared down Roland.

 

"I heard what he said to you... the king. When he released you..." muttered Roland.

 

"He said my advisors will be quite angry at me for doing this..." Roland reminded. William recalled King Edward's words as Roland voiced them.

 

"I've been speaking to one of the King's trusted aid's master Dillon. He's told me King Edward suffered repercussions by making you a knight. But still his majesty did not falter and defended your ascent. Count Adhemar went through the proper channels and got the royal houses of two kingdoms involved in his marriage arrangement. Do you know what that means?" Roland asked.

 

Sir William could no longer look Roland in the eyes having heard that.

 

"Do you know how it would make King Edward look right now if you went charging off to steal Lady Jocelyn from Count Adhemar? He approved their marriage and so did Messers's King."

 

"Jocelyn doesn't belong to him," Sir William muttered.

 

Roland put both hands on each of Sir William's shoulder's. "Legally she does right now!"

 

Sir William loosened his grip before finally letting go of Roland, his face dejected and in despair.

 

After a moment of silence Roland smiled, "That being said... I said we can't go get her right now not we couldn't go later."

 

Sir William looked up hopeful, "What are you saying Roland?"

 

"You're asking me, are you not the man who changed his stars and became a knight? If you can't find a way to get her back than no one can."

 

Life returned in William's eyes having heard those words.

 

"Well said Roland. Well said!" Shouted Geoffrey barging in.

 

Roland turned around with a surprised look. "And how long have you been there?"

 

Geoffrey simply smiled.

 

Sir William put his arm around the two. "I will get Jocelyn back no matter what. Will you two help me?"

 

Roland and Geoffrey shared a look and smiled.

 

“Aye,” Roland said, brightly.

 

"Do you even need to ask?" answered Geoffrey.

 

End of Volume One

1