37 | Shutdown [1]
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Upon reentering the game world, Ashlyn and Nox were surprised to find Archeline devoid of its usual activity, with an unsettling silence hovering in the air. The scene was frozen, as if someone hit the pause button, immobilizing both NPCs and players.

The people stood frozen mid-motion, leaving the two NPCs bewildered as they observed the surroundings. The more they ventured into the suspended realm, the more they realized that something had disturbed the flow of the virtual world, leaving a dark cloud over the once vibrant landscape.

As they approached the bookshop, it became clear that something had gone awry, and the virtual world had changed since they left.

They moved nearer to their destination and stopped just short of the large bay window just so they were near enough to see what was going on, but not so much that they would draw the attention of the Main Computer.

It hadn't been long since they had been thrown out of the virtual world, but it still felt like it had been a lifetime. Nox and Ashlyn braced themselves and perked their ears as they listened for anything strange. However, there was none to be heard.

The bookshop was known for being quiet, except when the players had used it as their meeting place, so it wasn't new. But there was something about the present silence that made their skin crawl.

They moved forward a few more steps until they were pressed up against the glass, and in an instant, a dark energy engulfed them. And like before, something made it impossible to see what was happening inside the shop. Ashlyn kept their face pressed to the window, while Nox stepped back and peered about him.

It was empty on the street, and despite it being secluded from the main square, there had still been a few people roaming about, so why was it that no one could be seen in the vicinity? Perhaps it was because a certain entity, such as the Main Computer, was making it so everyone would stay away from the shop. Nox concluded that if that were true, Ashlyn and he could approach the building because the Main Computer permitted them to, for unknown reasons.

It knew they were back, yet it had done nothing to stop them from venturing to the shop and nothing greeted them at the door: which meant that it was occupied or could not get away to deal with them. This was the perfect opportunity for Ashlyn and Nox to do what they had come here to do: rescue their friends and destroy the one thing that had turned the virtual world into what it was now. Even if that risked the game shutting down.

 

Today, impatience bubbled within Faye as she anxiously tapped her fingers, her usual calm demeanour replaced by a sense of urgency. While her mind raced with thoughts of the unknown events taking place in Archeline, the quiet wait intensified. The pull of the virtual world tugged at her, worsening her impatience to return and see what was happening. 

The nostalgia of those leisurely days by the window, immersed in books, now felt like a distant memory. The current urgency had replaced the tranquillity of them moments, leaving Faye yearning for the simpler joys of observing the virtual world's activities from her quiet perch. 

Presently, despite the soothing warmth of the tea in her hands, Faye's impatience persisted and only grew with each passing minute that stretched into an eternity. The anticipation of the arrival of the person who was going to help with the situation weighed heavily on her, each sigh echoing the unresolved tension in the room. 

Faye got to her feet, pulled on her coat and exited the room. Perhaps getting some fresh air would squash the antsy feeling and calm her nerves a bit.

0