Chapter 50 – The War Begins
74 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the armies of the Kingdom of Dawn and the Kingdom of Florence drew closer to the battlefield, the tension and anticipation in the air became almost tangible. The vast, open plain stretched out before them, soon to be soaked in the sweat and blood of warriors.

Laura rode alongside Duke Gifford, her heart a mix of conflicting emotions. Her eyes scanned the horizon, taking in the Florence army in the distance. Duke Gifford, a seasoned military strategist, remarked on the size of the opposing force.

"The Florence army appears smaller than expected," Duke Gifford observed, his sharp eyes analyzing the formations. "But don't underestimate them. Size isn't everything; they could still pose a significant threat if we're not careful."

Laura nodded, her mind whirling with thoughts. She knew that this would be a brutal conflict, and the reality of what lay ahead weighed heavily on her. Taking lives was a concept she struggled to reconcile with, but she understood that her duty was to protect the kingdom.

She whispered to herself, as if trying to reaffirm her convictions, "I won't take lives lightly. I won't do it for the sake of it. I'll do it because it's necessary to fulfill the orders I've been given."

On the other side of the field, General Alice surveyed the upcoming battle with a determined gaze. Her soldiers were disciplined and prepared, each one ready to stand their ground against the oncoming storm. The size of their force was a concern, but Alice's confidence in her troops remained unshaken.

"We may be at a numerical disadvantage," she spoke to her subordinates, her voice projecting authority and conviction, "but our determination and skill will be our greatest strength. Remember, we're not just fighting for ourselves; we're fighting for our kingdom, for our homes and families. Let the honor of our cause guide your every strike."

The soldiers looked to her, their eyes reflecting a blend of resolve and respect. Alice felt the weight of their trust, a responsibility she bore willingly. The battle ahead was a test of their mettle, and she was prepared to lead them through the crucible of war.

As the piercing sound of the horn echoed across the battlefield, it was as if a battle cry that reverberated through the hearts of the Florence soldiers. General Alice, standing resolute at the front lines, raised her sword high, a beacon of determination for her army.

With a fierce cry, she pointed her blade toward the forces of the Kingdom of Dawn and bellowed, "For Florence! For our homes and families! Charge!"

The adrenaline-fueled warriors surged forward, a tide of armor and determination crashing against the vast plain. Their war cries blended into a collective roar that seemed to shake the very ground they tread upon.

On the other side of the battlefield, Laura witnessed the Florence charge with a mixture of awe and apprehension. The raw power and determination of the opposing army were undeniable. Duke Gifford turned to her, his voice stern yet focused, "Fulfill your duty Laura, slaughter as many as you can."

Laura clenched her fists, her heart pounding. She knew what was to come; the impending clash would be a brutal testament to the horrors of war. Her resolve to protect the kingdom and fulfill her duty strengthened. She would have to face the onslaught head-on, no matter the cost.

The thunderous collision of the armies marked the beginning of a brutal confrontation. Swords clashed, armor rattled, and cries of pain and determination rang through the air. The battlefield became a chaotic dance of warfare, where valor and survival were equally pitted against one another.

General Alice fought with a fierce determination, her sword a blur of calculated strikes. She led her troops by example, fearlessly facing the enemy, rallying her soldiers to push forward. The clash was brutal and intense, the stakes high for both sides. The soldiers fought valiantly, their fates hanging in the balance.

On the other side, Laura engaged in combat, her instincts sharpened by the urgency of the situation. Her movements were precise, each strike calculated. The battle was a cacophony of violence, but she held onto her resolve—to protect, to serve, and to endure.

Amidst the chaotic clash of armies on the battlefield, Laura found herself face to face with her first opponent—a young soldier of the Florence Kingdom. Their eyes met briefly, both reflecting the same emotions—fear, determination, and a stark understanding of the brutality of the situation.

Time seemed to slow as the young soldier lunged at her, sword raised high. Laura's instincts kicked in, and she parried the attack skillfully, the clash of their blades ringing out amidst the chaos. The soldier fought with a raw intensity, his youthful vigor propelling him forward, seeking to protect his homeland.

"You're a goddamn demon!?"

The young soldier—finally able to process Laura's demon horns cried out in surprise. He knew he had chosen a bad mark but he figured that out too late.

The battle continued, each exchange of blows pushing Laura's resolve to its limits. She defended and struck, each movement guided by the training she had received in the colosseum. However, as the young soldier pressed on, an opportunity for a fatal strike presented itself.

In that fleeting moment, the reality of war bore down on Laura. She knew what she had to do. Yet, she also knew that this action would irrevocably alter her path. She hesitated, a fraction of a second that felt like an eternity.

But war waits for no one.

In a swift, calculated movement, she executed a precise strike, her claw finding its mark. The young soldier fell, the life leaving his eyes as he crumpled to the ground. It was a clean kill, efficient and swift, but the weight of it settled on Laura like a heavy burden.

She stood frozen for a moment, staring at the fallen soldier. His face, once full of determination, now lay still and lifeless. She felt a whirlwind of emotions—grief, guilt, and a profound sadness that she had been forced into this act. This wasn't some faceless enemy; this was a young man with dreams, hopes, and loved ones.

Laura's chest tightened, and she struggled to hold back tears. She wanted to honor his sacrifice, to acknowledge the life that had been lost. She whispered a silent apology, a plea for forgiveness, knowing that she had taken a step into a dark realm from which there might be no return.

As the battle raged on, both sides pushed against each other with a relentless ferocity. The screams of the injured and dying pierced the air, a grim reminder of the cost of conflict. The sun began its descent, casting long shadows over the battlefield, painting the scene in a somber light.

For Laura, the reality of her dual nature became even more evident as the conflict unfolded. The struggle to maintain her humanity amidst the brutality was a test of endurance. Each blow she struck, each life she was forced to take, was a reminder of the thin line she walked.

With each life taken on the battlefield, Laura could feel the surge of her demonic instincts growing stronger, fueled by the scent of blood and the palpable surge of mana in the air. The chaos and violence around her seemed to awaken a primal part of her.

The stench of blood filled her senses, mingling with the earthy smell of the battlefield. The air crackled with magic as mages unleashed their spells and soldiers fought with desperate determination. It was an intoxicating mixture that heightened her senses, making her acutely aware of her dual nature.

Her demonic side, usually kept at bay, began to stir more vigorously within her. The roar of the battle, the energy of the combatants, and the suffering of the fallen—it all seemed to awaken a thirst, an urge to succumb to whatever lurked within.

Laura clenched her teeth, struggling to maintain control. She knew that giving in to her demonic urges would only lead to a path of no return. It was a precipice she couldn't afford to fall from, for if she let go, she feared she would lose herself entirely.

She fought on, each swing of her claws a battle not just against the enemy but against the growing temptation within. The adrenaline-fueled environment seemed to taunt her, challenging her restraint. In her mind, she whispered her mother's name like a mantra, hoping to find solace in the memory of the one who raised her. Rita, her mother, had always been her anchor, a symbol of the humanity she had to protect.

As the battle wore on, Laura found herself slipping at times. A fierce growl would escape her lips, her right eye briefly flashing with an unnerving red hue. It was a constant struggle, a battle fought on two fronts—the physical against the enemy and the internal against her own nature.

Duke Gifford, sat atop a hill surveying the battle. One of Duke Gifford's men, a seasoned warrior with a weathered face and a concerned expression, dared to voice the question that had been gnawing at him. "Sir," he hesitated for a moment before gathering the courage to continue, "why do we have a young girl like her fighting alongside us on the front lines?"

Duke Gifford, his face a mask of stern determination, turned to face the soldier. He understood the confusion and concern in his subordinate's eyes. "This is no ordinary situation," he began, his voice low and firm. "This battlefield is not just a place of death; it is a place where mana—the very essence of magic—is abundant."

He glanced toward Laura, as she was slaughtering any enemy she came across. "Demons thrive in places rich with mana," he continued. "The air here is infused with the life force of magic, making it akin to a haven for them. They grow stronger by absorbing this mana, and a demon on this battlefield is a force to be reckoned with."

The soldier nodded slowly, beginning to grasp the strategy behind employing someone like Laura. It was a harsh truth to accept, but in the face of war, they had to utilize every advantage they could find.

"Duke Gifford," another soldier chimed in, "but she's just a young girl. It doesn't sit right, using her like this."

Gifford looked again at Laura, fighting valiantly, and then back at his soldiers. He understood their reservations, but he knew the harsh reality of war. "It doesn't matter," he said, his voice somber. "We shall use every piece we can possibly play."

Amidst the chaos of the battlefield, General Alice's keen senses detected an unsettling pattern—the swift and deadly demise of many of her men. Something was amiss, something lethal and elusive. As she moved closer to the source of this mysterious threat, her instincts kicked in, and she raised her sword in readiness.

Just in time, as if emerging from the very shadows, Laura appeared, her demon claws slicing through the air with lethal intent. Alice reacted with the precision of a seasoned warrior, her blade intercepting Laura's attack with a resounding clash. She felt the strength behind Laura's strike, an unexpected force coming from someone who appeared to be a young girl.

As the two combatants locked eyes, Alice's gaze honed in on Laura's distinctive features—the telltale horns protruding from her head, unmistakable signs of her demonic heritage. Surprise flickered across Alice's face, quickly replaced by a steely resolve.

"The Kingdom of Dawn has fallen so low," Alice remarked with a hint of disdain, "that they would resort to deploying demons on the front lines of war."

Laura bristled at the accusation, her eyes narrowing. She felt nothing by being disdained by an enemy. Laura was only there to accomplish her duty.

Alice, however, had other thoughts. She regarded Laura as a heretic, a symbol of the kingdom's desperation. Her gaze shifted upward to where Duke Gifford stood on the hill, overseeing the battlefield. Alice's attention was momentarily diverted. In that split second, Laura seized the opportunity and lunged forward with another strike.

However, Alice was no ordinary opponent. Even as she glared at Duke Gifford on the hill, her instincts remained razor-sharp. In a flash, she sensed Laura's attack and reacted swiftly, blocking the strike with a deft movement of her blade.

The clash between the two combatants sent sparks flying, their weapons meeting with a resounding clang. Alice's eyes narrowed with focus, and she pushed back against Laura's force, their strength evenly matched.

"You underestimate me," Alice gritted out, her voice determined and steady.

Laura gritted her teeth, pouring all her might into the strike, but Alice held her ground, showcasing her combat experience and skill. The battlefield around them continued to be a tempest of chaos, but in this small pocket of conflict, it was a duel of wills and abilities.

Locked in this struggle, Laura began to sense the weight of Alice's strength, a strength born not only from training but from purpose. Alice wasn't fighting for the thrill of battle or to prove herself—she fought to protect her kingdom, her people, and her beliefs. It was a determination Laura understood well, as she too had her purpose, her duty.

"You're good," Laura admitted through gritted teeth, straining against the force of Alice's resistance.

Alice's expression remained focused, her eyes locked onto Laura's. "Compliments from a demon mean nothing."

With a sudden surge of energy, Laura disengaged, stepping back to reassess the situation. She had to be tactical, think ahead, and not allow her demonic impulses to dictate her actions. This was not just a battle of strength but of wits and strategy.

Alice maintained her defensive stance, her sword poised and ready. She knew this battle was far from over. Their duel had just begun, and both combatants were determined to prove their worth on this deadly stage.

4