Chapter 54 – The Kingdom of Dawn Marches at Dawn
71 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the heart of the Kingdom of Dawn, the news of the vanguard force's success in defeating the Florence Kingdom's vanguard force spread like wildfire among the advisors.

"Laura has proven to be a formidable asset," Thomas acknowledged, his voice laced with a mix of appreciation and concern. "But we mustn't allow ourselves to become overly reliant on her strength. Our victory should not rest solely on the shoulders of one."

He paced the room, his mind racing with strategies and possibilities. "Press the attack into Florence territory. They will likely be caught off guard by the swift and relentless advance following the fall of their vanguard. We need to keep them off balance, show them we are ready to push the boundaries of this conflict."

His advisors nodded, immediately setting about their duties, organizing troops, and issuing commands. The Kingdom of Florence had likely not anticipated their vanguard force to fall so easily, and this presented an opportunity that should not be squandered. The war had entered a crucial phase earlier than expected.

The main army of the Kingdom of Dawn moved with a sense of urgency and determination. The news of the vanguard force's success was a morale boost, infusing the soldiers with renewed vigor and purpose. They knew they had to capitalize on this advantage, pressing forward swiftly and effectively to gain ground in the war.

Laura rose from her brief slumber as the sun's first rays painted the sky with shades of orange and pink. She stretched her limbs, feeling the stiffness slowly dissipate. As she prepared herself to rejoin Duke Gifford and the advancing forces, the news reached her ears—the Kingdom of Dawn's army was making significant progress over the border into the Kingdom of Florence with little resistance.

Duke Gifford approached her. "We're moving forward with the main force. Saddle up Laura."

Laura nodded, acknowledging his words.

The Kingdom of Dawn's main army surged onward, pressing through the unguarded border. The soldiers maintained their formation, their hearts beating with a mix of pride and anxiety. The Kingdom of Florence had likely scrambled to organize their defenses after the loss of the vanguard. But in this moment, as they pushed forward into foreign territory, the Kingdom of Dawn had the upper hand.

The Kingdom of Dawn's forces continued their march through Florence territory, and the absence of armed resistance was a perplexing sight. The soldiers, vigilant and alert, couldn't help but exchange concerned glances as they passed through villages where the residents reacted with sorrow.

Villagers fled from their path, seeking shelter in their homes or the cover of the surrounding forests. Some watched from a distance, their eyes filled with a mixture of anxiety and despair. The soldiers could hear the distant sounds of crying.

Duke Gifford, leading the Kingdom of Dawn's forces, ordered his troops to maintain their formation and keep a watchful eye on the surroundings. As they continued to advance, the tension in the air remained.

Suddenly, something broke that tension. A rock flew through the air, aimed squarely at Laura. Time seemed to slow as her instincts took over, and with a fluid motion, she reached out and caught it in her hand before it hit hear head.

It was a young boy who had thrown the rock, fueled by fear and anger, he yelled at her to go away. The words struck a nerve, she recalled her friends looking at her with disgust and fear. In that moment, she was no longer a soldier on a march, but a young girl once more—chased away from her home, her village casting her out because of what she was.

She slowly crushed the rock in her hand, while looking at the angry little boy. As the fragments fell to the ground like scattered dust, the boy realized he had done something stupid.

Duke Gifford, ever watchful, turned to Laura. "Are you alright?" he inquired, his eyes shifting between the young boy and her. "Calm down, don't do anything stupid Laura."

Laura nodded, her jaw clenched. She had been reminded of something she wanted to forget and it made her mad.

The young boy's mother, her face etched with concern and sorrow, rushed out from her house. She fell to her knees, her hands clasped in a plea for forgiveness.

"I am deeply sorry, ma'am," she began, her voice quivering with regret. "My son doesn't understand the gravity of the situation."

Duke Gifford stepped forward. "We understand the fear that comes with our presence," he said. "We are here because of circumstances none of us wished for. We do not seek to cause harm without reason."

Duke Gifford turned to Laura, intending to ask if she forgave the boy, but she was already trotting away on her horse. He turned back to the worried mother and offered a reassuring smile. "She understands," he said softly.

Meanwhile Lorenzo Florence, the ruler of the Kingdom of Florence, stood in his war room, the weight of the escalating conflict evident in the furrowed lines on his brow. His trusted advisor, Charlotte, stood beside him, one of the only people he truly trusted in such tumultuous times.

"Charlotte, our situation is dire," Lorenzo began, his voice laced with concern. "The Kingdom of Dawn is advancing rapidly. We need a strategy, a plan to hold them off."

Charlotte leaned against a table, deep in thought. "Indeed, Your Majesty. While we may have lost the vanguard, we still have a significant portion of our main forces. We must consolidate our defenses and make sure the capital is fortified to the point where it's impossible to take."

Lorenzo nodded, his mind already racing through potential options. "Yes, yes. We must fortify the capital. But I can't help but think there are some holes in a plan like that."

Charlotte approached him with a cup in hand. She wore a facade of concern, concealing her treacherous intent.

"Your Majesty," Charlotte spoke softly, offering him the cup, "you must keep your strength up during these trying times. This drink will help you relax."

Lorenzo, trusting her as he had always done, took the cup and took a sip. Unbeknownst to him, the drink was laced with a potent drug that could cloud the mind and impair judgment.

As the drug began to take effect, Lorenzo's senses blurred, and he felt a sudden wave of dizziness wash over him. He looked at Charlotte, confusion and alarm slowly clouding his mind.

Charlotte had dark intentions. While she outwardly conveyed loyalty and concern for the kingdom's safety, her true motives were far from benevolent.

"What... what have you done?" he managed to stammer, struggling to maintain his composure.

Charlotte smirked, her true motives now coming to light. "You have been a great pawn in our plans King Lorenzo but now it's time for me to take over."

Lorenzo fought against the effects of the drug, realizing the magnitude of the betrayal. He didn't expect the girl he had known since he was a child to poison him with a drug but he knew he had to act swiftly. He stumbled towards the door, intending to alert the guards and save his kingdom from Charlotte's nefarious plans.

But the drug's potency overwhelmed him, and before he could reach the door, his legs gave way, and he collapsed to the ground, consciousness slipping away. The kingdom now stood at the mercy of Charlotte's malicious intentions.

"Good night my king, may you never wake again."

3