Chapter 57 – Immediate Aftermath
104 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the Kingdom of Dawn's forces continued their slow but steady advance toward the besieged Florence capital, they found themselves suddenly halted in their tracks. The world around them had suddenly transformed into an eruption of chaos. Explosions, immense and terrifying, tore through the city's defenses. Walls that had seemed impenetrable just moments before were now disintegrating, raining stone and debris upon the panicked streets below.

The soldiers from the Kingdom of Dawn, whether hardened veterans or young conscripts, stood in silent shock, their faces illuminated by the nightmarish inferno. The once-familiar contours of the Florence capital were transformed into a dystopian vision of apocalypse. The ground itself trembled beneath their feet.

Duke Gifford, who had stood at the rear with Laura by his side, could only gape at the surreal horror unfolding before them. His grip tightened on the reigns of his horse, but it was a gesture of futility. This was no enemy advance, no strategic prowess of their opponents, it was a cataclysm that transcended any notion of war. Laura, her eyes wide with a mix of shock and bewilderment, cast her gaze upon the city.

For Duke Gifford, a man of experience and command, this was a moment beyond all comprehension. In this maelstrom of chaos, his thoughts had ground to a halt. For Laura it was nothing short of a nightmare, an incomprehensible sight that made no sense to her.

Their army, momentarily silenced by the enormity of the catastrophe, remained poised at the edge of the battlefield, caught between duty and disbelief. It was a scene that defied all expectations, a moment of devastation that defied reason. While the Kingdom of Dawn's warriors had come ready to face the perils of battle, they had been confronted with an unforeseeable apocalypse.

The explosions ceased, leaving behind an eerie hush that blanketed the battlefield. The once-deafening roars of destruction had given way to a profound and unsettling silence.

For a long moment, not a word was uttered among the Kingdom of Dawn's forces. They stood as if in a trance, their faces etched with disbelief and terror. This was no longer a battlefield, but a charred and battered tableau of desolation.

The smoldering ruins of the Florence capital now loomed before them, and the streets, once teeming with life, lay decimated and desolate. The once-unwavering advance had come to a jarring halt.

Duke Gifford remained stricken, his mind racing to grasp the enormity of what had just occurred. Beside him, Laura's eyes conveyed a mix of emotions – bewilderment, horror, and sorrow. In their unspoken connection, they grappled with the devastating unknown.

The Kingdom of Dawn's forces, driven by duty and the adrenaline of the impending battle, had now become witnesses to a cataclysm that defied all expectations. Their expectations of war had been shattered, replaced by an apocalyptic vision that transcended their experience and understanding.

The Florence capital had been decimated, but no external enemies had brought this destruction. For it was one person on the inside who had painted this gruesome tragedy. The enemy had never breached their walls; the enemy had lurked in their midst, waiting for the opportune moment to unleash destruction upon their own kin.

Indeed, in the heart of the once-thriving Florence capital, the cause of this gruesome tragedy was not the work of an external enemy, but a silent conspirator from within. Hidden within the very walls that should have protected the city, a malevolent force had plotted and executed this horrifying spectacle.

As Charlotte stood on the balcony of the grand castle, the city below lay in ruins. The smoke and stench of destruction hung heavily in the air. She sipped her wine with a sinister smile, reveling in the chaos she had orchestrated.

For her, it was a triumphant moment. Her plan had unfolded with deadly precision. The very heart of the Florence kingdom now lay in ruins, and she had done it from within. With each sip of the wine, she reveled in the mayhem, unmoved by the devastation. She watched the flames dance and the remaining people scurry in panic. The chaos below was her symphony, and she was its conductor.

As Charlotte turned away from the balcony and walked back into the room, her cold eyes fixed on King Lorenzo and with a final bow, she spoke with a chilling finality, "Your role is over my king, you were a great puppet."

With a swift motion, she shattered the wine glass she had just sipped from. She seized a shard of glass and without hesitation, slit King Lorenzo's throat. A gurgled gasp escaped the dying king as his life drained away in a torrent of crimson. His body slumped limply in his throne, the life extinguished from his once vacant eyes.

Charlotte, stained with the king's blood, watched the lifeless form of the man who had once held the throne. She threw the glass shard onto the floor and walked out of the throne room, leaving King Lorenzo to be discovered by someone else.

She returned to her room and gazed upon the magical circle she had meticulously prepared. A bottle stood in the center of the intricate pattern etched into the floor. Her doubts gnawed at her like a persistent shadow, whispering their unsettling reminders.

She could still hear the echoes of the destruction outside, the cries of the city she had torn asunder. Explosions still rang out at random points within the capital city, causing many more innocent civilians to die. But this quick way to receive life force from the fallen came with a consequence, and that was the fact that the survivors from the Florence Kingdom would surrender and the war would be over. She could have just waited for the war to progress naturally but that would come with it's own share of problems.

As she looked at the liquid inside the bottle, she couldn't help but wonder if it would be enough. A hint of unease tugged at her mind. A concern that, if she failed to acquire sufficient results, her allies would laugh at her. However, she had to leave before her final present greeted her fellow countrymen. A massive explosion that would consume everything in the capital would soon be occurring, so she needed to leave.

With a final glance at the glowing magic circle, she grabbed the bottle full of the life energy she had so cruelly taken from soldiers and civilians alike. She ignited a spark with a snap of her fingers. Flames danced merrily, consuming her room and any evidence of her presence. A bitter smile crossed her lips, the room engulfed in fire serving as a final dramatic statement of her intent.

Now, it was time to escape. She had prepared well, beneath the castle, an underground tunnel awaited her. The escape route had been a critical component of her plan, allowing her to disappear into the shadows. She couldn't allow the tunnel to be potentially discovered by the Kingdom of Dawn during the siege.

With a final look at the fire-licked room that she had lived in for years she closed the door on this chapter of her life, Charlotte hurried toward the concealed entrance to the tunnel. She had to vanish into the darkness, leaving only chaos and confusion in her wake.

2