Chapter 29: A Dysfunctional Protagonist
207 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

---DISCLAIMER---

WARNING!!!

GORE, TORTURE, BLOOD, VIOLENCE, AND SELF-HARM AHEAD

READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

---DISCLAIMER---

 

 

 

---PLEASE READ THE DISCLAIMER BEFORE CONTINUING---

 

 

 

"Your Majesty!" a minister cried as he ran into the courtroom, "Your Majesty!"

The minister kneeled on the ground before the Rubellite king, "A problem has occurred in the arena!"

The Rubellite king was barely listening, too busy working on his paperwork.

The minister continued, "An uprising from the prisoners! There are half-demons killing civilians on site!"

That seemed to make the Rubellite king stop working, "Half-demons?"

"Yes, t-there were two, but now there are many. Our soldiers are trying to stop them as we talk, but-"

The Rubellite king laughed and said, "That's impossible. The half-demons are brainless, they only know what they are taught,"

"T-that's the thing," The minister sweat-dropped, "There's a really strong one leading them, h-he goes by the name R-Rey,"

The king laughed harder, "A half-demon with a name?! Here, in Ura?!"

All of a sudden, the wall behind the king burst open and the cold blizzard stormed in. Standing above the debris was the horrifying figure of Rey, drenched in blood from head to toe. Behind him was an army of half-demons. Those he saved from the arena.

"I'm Rey Atland," he introduced in a low voice, "I'm looking for the Rubellite king. I hear he's in charge of law and justice,"

The Rubellite king, slightly injured from the debris, went to hide behind the minister.

"H-he's not here!" The king yelled in fright, "He's not here!"

Rey walked towards them expressionlessly, "You say that with a crown upon your head?"

"G-guards! Guards!"

"There is no one," Rey said as he raised his hand, "Your life ends here,"

At Rey's signal, the half-demons rushed forward, tearing through the king and his minister. Blood and guts flew everywhere as screams echoed throughout the palace. There was not a single soul in the palace left alive. Not the king's family, his children, or even the servants were spared. Everyone must die.

It was easier like that.

They can't risk revenge.

'There's two left,'

Rey walked back out of the palace the same way he came in.

His next target was the Garnettes king.

Right now, Rey's only thought was to get to Leon as quickly as possible. He didn't care how he did it. Even if it caused the destruction of a kingdom, the deaths of innocents, or even becoming a demon himself, he couldn't stand the feeling of something eating him up inside. The feeling of no one by his side. A gaping hole inside his chest.

He shouldn't have left Leon.

If he knew this was how he was going to feel, he wouldn't have left Leon.

Before he came to kill the Rubellite king, he had gone back to the Church of Alia. He just wanted to take a quick look at Leon again, thinking that'll help soothe the sting in his chest. Then he was going to go back and continue the righteous duty of freeing his kin. But when he got to the Church of Alia, Leon wasn't there. Seven wasn't there either. All that was there was a crying Ivory asking for forgiveness as she told him the story of what had happened literally minutes after he had left.

In just that short amount of time, where not even half a day had passed, Leon already disappeared.

Leon disappeared, and it was all his fault.

He put his own sense of justice in front of Leon.

He cared about strangers more than he did Leon.

He let Leon fall right through his own fingers.

It was all his fault.

The reason he's alone right now and the reason he feels like this is because he did it to himself.

He calmly left the church, as he had already made a contract not to hurt them. He went back to the arena. He freed everyone there. With 5,200's help, the half-demons found hope to fight against their masters. Now Rey uses them as his army.

From what Ivory told him, the Rubellite king was the one who created the justice system. So, Rey destroyed him first. With no one there to make laws, the kingdom will fall into ruin. Rey thought it was a rational idea. Since they took Leon, he'll make sure to take everything as well. This kingdom will not see another day of peace.

Now he'll go after the Garnettes king, he who controls the churches. It was him who took Leon. Ivory said it was. He'll make sure that the Garnettes king experiences something even worse than death.

So, here Rey was, his shadows against the Garnettes king's throat. He doesn't exactly remember how he got here, just a lot of running and killing. Then running and killing again. Over and over again.

But, it seemed he was still sane enough to think some things through.

"Bring them," Rey ordered.

The half-demons brought in five people.

The wife of the king. The firstborn son. The second-born son. Their one and only daughter. And a newborn child.

"Kill your wife," Rey said, handing the king a rock.

A rock, because that'll be a slow and painful death.

The wife and children cried. The Garnettes king can only tremble in fear.

"If not, I'll have your firstborn son do it instead, your choice,"

Rey truly felt like a demon.

But he couldn't stop.

Not while Leon wasn't by his side yet.

After a back and forth of sobs and words of 'kill me instead' the king finally made his choice. He decided to kill his wife with his own two hands. Rey doesn't know if it was out of the little kindness left inside of him or not, but he made sure that the mother's screams couldn't be heard. All one could see was a silent gaping mouth and a face of torturous pain.

The sounds of smashing and blood squelching filled the air. It was a horrible sight. Even Rey knew it was a horrible sight. It was his first time doing something like this, after all. He usually just kills or tortures them himself. Not watch as he let his victims torture each other.

He wondered how people find this kind of thing enjoyable.

It's sickening.

But here he was, doing the exact same thing.

He became the type of person that he kills.

"You're pretty dumb, aren't you?" Rey stated with cold eyes, "I never said I'll let you live,"

The family stared in horror.

"You won't get out of this alive!" The king yelled as he clenched the bloody rock, "The gods will punish you!"

Rey scoffed, "You're false gods don't exist,"

The firstborn son was staked alive for everyone to see. The second born son was left for the half-demons to rip apart. The daughter was left as pleasure for his kin. And for the newborn, he died a painless death.

Rey had made sure that the king's eyes were open to watch as his children suffer for his sins.

And when all was done, he had the Garnettes king burned alive in front of the Church of Alia.

The eyes of Alia deserved it.

Ivory deserved it.

It was their reward as much as it was a punishment.

Rey searched the Garnettes king's entire palace. From every little corner to every hidden room, from the darkest place to the lightest, he couldn't find a single trace of Leon. Not even a single strand of hair. He was nowhere to be found.

Rey had made another mistake. He didn't extract any information about Leon. He let his anger take control. He killed the king too early.

Rey roared, his voice echoed throughout the palace.

Rey felt like he was going mad.

He kept making mistakes after mistakes.

Leon kept getting further and further away.

STAB!

He used Everlasting Light to stab his own hand. The enchanted sword began to burn and sear into his own skin.

It was punishment.

STAB!

Punishment for himself.

STAB!

For how selfish he was.

STAB!

For all the mistakes he made.

STAB!

For how useless he was.

STAB!

For the broken promises.

STAB!

For letting Leon go.

STAB!

It was his fault.

If no one was there to yell or punish him, he would do it himself.

It took a couple more minutes before he cooled down and put Everlasting Light away. His left hand was a bloody mess, filled with holes and burns. But he didn't bother to heal or bandage it up. He just let it bleed through. That too, will be how he punishes himself.

"Let's go," Rey said as he walked out of the palace, his fellow half-demons making way for him, "It's time to greet the Sapphirous king,"

It didn't take very long for him to get there. And when he did, he was greeted with many guards and adventurers. Simon was one of them. They wouldn't know each other, though. Simon has never seen Rey's face, and Rey didn't bother to remember him.

Rey walked to the entrance, killing those who got in his way. The adventurers, who had more experience fighting monsters and demons, easily went against the half-demons, who were mostly malnourished and tired from all the battles of today. If it were before, Rey would've had the heart to stay and help them fight, but right now, Rey only had one thing on his mind, and he wasn't going to stop for anybody.

So, he marched forward unyieldingly. Eyes wide and red. Body covered in blood and guts. An aura cold like today's blizzard yet dozed in darkness.

BAM!

The doors to the main hall blew open.

The stench of sex and drugs filled the air.

The main hall resembled an open brothel. There were multiple beds neatly placed in rows, bedsheets messily laid everywhere, and both men and women laying around undressed with their eyes dazed and confused.

He remembered how Ivory described the Sapphirous king. Though Rey felt like she was purposely keeping out some information, he didn't bother to ask. He was too much in a hurry. He'll find out when he gets there.

The Sappirous king was not only in control of the military but also had a history of being obsessed with half-demons. In every generation, they were constantly breeding and selling them.

This was a truly sick king.

On every bed, there were at least two to three half-demons, each of them looking similar to each other. No, looking similar to the large painting right above the king's throne, the hero's daughter. She had long, elegant, straight hair with dark and mysterious eyes. She was decorated in gold and jewels as if she were a trophy, and her figure was painted in such a suggestive way that you can tell it was to satisfy a man's fantasy.

This king was just as obsessed as the past kings. He wanted to make an exact copy to fulfill his and his forefather's unrested desire.

"Where's Leon?" Rey asked, this time remembering to question before killing.

The king was sitting on his throne, a cup of wine in one hand and a lady in the other, "Who?"

Unlike the other kings, this one wasn't afraid. In fact, he was just too far gone. It seemed like he knew he was going to die, so he heavily drank and drugged himself, playing in all of his fantasies before it was his time to go.

"Blond hair and blue eyes," Rey replied, his eyes growing colder by the second, "Where is he?"

The Sapphirous king laughed, "Oh, him! Yes, the special looking boy,"

Rey sharpened his eyes.

"Blond hair and blue eyes, only Tevalon had them," the king sniggered as he restlessly played with the lady in his arms, "It's such a shame he's a limp doll,"

Rey's eyes burned red, "You touched him,"

The king laughed, "Just a little bit, but he was just dead fish. Were you the one who did that to him? I didn't know you could break someone to that extent-"

STAB!

One of Rey's tendrils stabbed into the stomach of the king.

"Where is he?"

The king only laughed hysterically.

STAB!

Another tendril stabbed the king's shoulder.

"Where is he?"

The king coughed blood but still went to deeply kiss the lady on his lap.

STAB!

A third tendril stabbed the lady and threw her to the other end of the room.

"Where is he?"

This time, the king finally looked at Rey. His eyes were solemn, but his voice spat poison, "I was almost there, she could have been mine,"

STAB!

A fourth tendril was stabbed into the king's chest.

"Where is he?"

The king slyly grinned, "Threw him in with a pack of horny demons,"

WHAM!

This time, Rey threw a heavy punch. Not just once, but many times. He made sure the king was still alive, though.

Just barely.

It wasn't until the king's face was a bloody mess that he stopped.

He then took a deep breath and cooled down.

"You enjoy living like this, right?" Rey muttered, "I'll help you,"

Rey raised his bloody left hand and forced the king to drink his blood.

Rey didn't know why, but a memory suddenly jumped into his head.

It was a summer night, and he was fighting against one of Val Valtine's minions. This minion had the ability to control those who drank his blood. In a struggle to fight him, Rey was forced to drink the minion's blood.

It was one of the many battles he thought he would lose.

But through sheer willpower and strength, he was able to break through and overcome this struggle. And as a result of killing the guy, Rey inherited the blood controlling ability. For anyone who drinks his blood, he can control their body down to the very nerves.

That was how he was able to force Leon into waking up and going to sleep. Because the dumbass that Leon was would not believe that Rey attained such an ability unless he tried it for himself. That was the first time Rey used the ability on Leon and that was supposed to be the last time.

This ability was something he used only for his enemies. To interrogate, torture, and kill them.

He never thought he would have to use it to force Leon to live.

Unfortunately, this ability does have its drawbacks. While Rey could use it to control someone's body, it can only be activated if he can visibly see them or if they are a certain distance away. Other than that, he can't do anything else, he can't even locate where they are. Fortunately, he can somehow tell whether or not they are alive.

And right now, he knows that Leon is alive.

He just doesn't know where he is.

Presently, Rey brought the Sapphirous king out into the public and right into the center of chaos, where both the military and half-demons fought. Upon entering, both sides stopped fighting and watched as Rey dragged the bloody king across the battlefield and dropped him in the center of both sides.

"Aren't you lucky," Rey mocked, "Not only do you have both your favorite half-demons and military watching, you even get to do the one thing you love most,"

Rey flicked his fingers, and immediately the king felt an uncomfortable, yet familiar feeling between his legs.

He needed release.

The king laughed, "You're sick,"

Rey built himself a throne made of shadows and sat down. His face was expressionless and cold, "Go on,"

And like this, the king found himself trying to f*ck anything he could grab his hands on.

The blizzard grew stronger, covering everything in a white fog. Blood decorated the pure white, staining it with death. It was a dance of red and white, of purity and violence. Rey wondered why he keeps seeing scenes such as this.

Just like when Evelyn died.

Just like how Leon 'died.'

And now, it might just be his turn.

9