Chapter 131
1.5k 5 70
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Witnessing the invasion from within the city had been an interesting experience, especially from hiding. Zuko, Mai and her family, and the cell of Azula’s agents kept within the tea house throughout most of it. Peeking out the streets, at first it seemed that something infected the city’s inhabitants as they cluelessly went on with their day. Whispers that made servants and nobles pause and frown with concern before chattering amongst themselves and spreading their worry to passersby.

And then everyone’s heads went up as a shadow swept past the streets. Zuko’s hideout was just far enough away that he only needed to crouch by the window to see the familiar air bison flying above the city towards the palace. That sight made the people down on the streets truly worry. Some traders quickly closed up, and servants hastily withdrew from their shopping chores or leisurely walks.

By the time a few riders on ostrich horses rode through to tell everyone to seek shelter, the once bustling city blocks were barely half-filled, mostly with those stubbornly trying to conduct the last sale or properly close up. Everyone now had good reason to run and lock themselves up in their shops or homes.

The domestic forces garrisoning the capital city ran through the now emptied streets, knocking aside carts and trampling abandoned wares. There was no mistaking the fear in them, they knew they were being sent to their doom.

“The path is now clear.” With that sentence from a handmaiden, the prince didn’t get to watch the further evolution of the city’s desolation. 

He joined the operatives on the ground floor, watching them don light armor underneath their commoner’s or courtly attire. Blades and axes were handed out, small shields hidden under robes. Zuko put on the same gear proffered to him by a man in a palace servant’s garb, but declined the selection of short swords in favor of his own twin blades. 

“I should be going with you,” Mai complained with arms folded, not for the first time as she glared mildly at him.

“Your family needs you.”

She scowled at that, unable again to counter that simple line. Instead, Mai glared harder at Zuko and muttered, “don’t do anything stupid out there, Private Zuko.”

The prince smirked despite the dour atmosphere and bowed lightly in reply. “I’ll strive to accomplish my mission in one piece, Lady Mai.”

One of the handmaidens had to ruin the moment. “Look, just kiss already so we can move out. Your highness.”

Zuko gave the woman an annoyed look. “We’re jus- Mmh!” And then his vision was filled with Mai’s face, and he felt her hands tugging him by the collar, and he felt her breath wash over his face.

And he felt and tasted her lips on his.

It lasted a few short seconds, before Mai pushed him back. Her usually pale face looked rather…fetching with a hint of pink on her cheeks. “Go.”

Zuko nodded dumbly, and followed the agents out. It was easy to distract himself with the lingering sensation on his lips instead of noticing the grins they gave him. Zuko didn’t know why, but he unnecessarily resolved himself to make sure to really make it out of all this alive and whole. For Mai.

With the soldiers all gone past and not another soul outside, the group scampered through the lifeless streets with minimal caution and maximum haste. The wind carried the softest whispers of explosions and clashing metal, as well as the faintest scent of smoke. 

They met up with another group of Azula’s infiltrators on the way to the palace, and then two more in the junction after that. Some had their blades and clothing stained with blood and soot. It seemed that with every major road they passed, another group of Azula’s agents would join them, more and more often exchanging silent, grim nods.

It had been a culmination of Xing’s and Azula’s invasion preparation; those too incompetent and too far invested with the Fire Lord (often mutually inclusive traits) had to be removed. From what Zuko was briefed, the influential noble and mercantile families had been scouted out days before, and targets of opportunity taken out or intimidated. Today though, the terms of the new regime were given, and those that hesitated too much would be snuffed out. The more offensive unlucky prominent courtiers and officials did not get the luxury of getting the chance to switch sides.

Azula was taking the chance to really clean the capital city, and compared to the discussions Zuko overheard back when he was still guarding Mai, she abandoned the options of sweeping away the opposition with exile and disgrace, and opted instead for far more bloody and literal decapitations.

The prince didn’t try to think too hard on whether only selected nobles would be purged, or their whole families as well. He could see his sister taking either option, even if she held a grudge against the sycophants. Obliterating whole families would minimize threats of vengeful sons and daughters, but the political ramifications would be troublesome for quite a while. But at the same time, effectively crippling and consigning powerful dynasties into insignificance would be a powerful message, at the cost of having to keep an eye on them after that to ensure that they remained insignificant.

The pros and cons balanced out rather evenly, and Zuko himself didn’t know which option he’d opt for. He was sure he’d find out what Azula chose immediately once this was all over though; it’d be a simple matter of seeing how many people attended the first court of the new regime.

By the time they came to the palace’s gates, a small mob of grim-faced men and women had formed with the prince. Zuko quelled his unease at the swelling number of assassins, knowing that the task ahead would barely paint him in any better light.

And then something rumbled from within the palace walls, and that something rose into the air, casting a huge shadow over the city as it got higher and higher. Zuko gaped in shock at the metal impossibility, as did pretty much everyone around him. Whatever it was, the Avatar was diving towards it, which meant that the Fire Lord was likely in there.

So much for the symbolic plan of joining forces with the Avatar to take down his father. Zuko shook his head to refocus his attention, and marched on to the gates.

The shaken palace guards stoically held the line, but they hesitated on acting on seeing the prince at the head of the group.

It was impossible for him to keep the pity and pleading from his voice as he addressed the soldiers doing their job. “Please stand down. Your lives are far more valuable to the Fire Nation than that of those you’re protecting right now. There is nothing to be gained here by standing against us, except our regret and commemoration of you men needlessly sticking to your duty.”

That got the guards exchanging glances with each other. Trust Azula’s handmaidens to prepare such an…impactful speech.

Zuko took a step forwards, keeping his swords sheathed as he slightly opened his arms. “The rumors you’ve heard are true. The Fire Lord, my father, did try to kill my uncle Prince Iroh. He banished my sister because she tried to persuade the Avatar to end the war. Thanks to the whisper of corrupt nobles he’s thrown our armies against Xing, who he’d framed for the attempt on my uncle, needlessly wasting Fire Nation lives on both sides of this conflict.” He pointed at the metal behemoth floating away from the city. “Even now, he abandons the palace and its people. Even as his son, I can’t stand aside against such injustice.”

He took in a slow breath before fixing them with as much royal authority as he could muster. “Please, remember your duties to the Fire Nation, not the Fire Lord.”

The soldiers continued staring at him for a while longer, and then finally lowered their weapons and stood aside. “What will you have of us, Prince Zuko?”

Hiding his relief, Zuko gave them a firm nod before leading Azula’s people in. “Please try to convince your colleagues and the palace servants to at least stand aside. Our fight is not with them.”

Zuko waited for the gate sergeant to nod before nodding at the palace. “Are there many of my father’s court in there?”

That got another nod. “Thanks to the recent spate of terrorist activity, most of the courtiers have holed up in the palace with their families.”

“Excellent,” one of the handmaidens whispered from behind Zuko, and a glance over his shoulder showed not a few faces grinning hungrily.

He gave them as strong a glare as he could, and then turned back to the guards. “Round them up. We’ll give them a chance to renounce their ways and spare their families from complete destruction.” That was the most he could do. The courtiers themselves were forfeit, by Azula’s orders, and as distasteful as it was, Zuko had to agree with his sister’s decision on a cold and pragmatic level.

As they advanced across palace grounds, the sounds of battle could be heard more clearly from behind them. More shadows shot through the air to join the Avatar circling like a fly around the airship. 

Zuko zoned out all of that. He had his missions. Achievable missions, that did not require him to help affect the tides of war or sprout wings and fly.

The doors to the throne room was helpfully pushed open by the same guards from the gates, and Zuko led the mob of agents and guards converted to the cause into the great hall, finding a congregation of courtiers surrounded by the Fire Lord’s own personal guard.

“It is over,” the prince announced, “My sister’s army has broken into the city and are on their way here. My father has abandoned you here to flee, but is being pursued by the Avatar. Surrender. If not for yourselves, then for your family.”

The royal guard all fell into firebending stances, and someone wanted to protest.

But then the afternoon skies darkened, and Zuko felt something…off in his body. Like his blood circulation somehow numbed.

Confusion swept through the courtiers and their protectors, but the princess’ servants were already drawing their blades. “The Black Sun is ascendant.”

Zuko gave the biggest obstacles to a reformed Fire Nation a glare of finality. “Last chance.” He did not like the nobles, but he also did not like that he had to slaughter them like this. 

Some of the royal guards answered by punching their fists out, but not even a flicker of flame was conjured.

Zuko sighed, and unsheathed his swords. “I’m sorry it’s come to this.” Even before he finished the sentence, the mob behind him had already begun advancing, and then charging into the stunned elite firebenders.

Mercifully, it was a short slaughter, but no prisoners were taken. Azula’s wrath was delivered with interest by her servants, who themselves have lost friends and colleagues during the purge that followed after she was forced to flee. 

The throne room was littered with corpses of once powerful nobles and vaunted personal guards of the Fire Lord, and the last survivor gasped his last right as the day began to brighten again. 

In the back of the prince’s mind, he thought the butchering to be sloppy; proper soldiers would’ve herded and surrounded the helpless targets for an easier time, instead of simply engaging them head on and allowing the rearmost victims to run about as they did.

Still, the main objective was accomplished, the palace had fallen. Members of the royal guard were captured in other parts of the palace complex, while families of the courtiers were escorted out to the grand plaza. Zuko watched as the new widows and orphans were gathered to be briefed on the fates of their spouses or parents.

He hated the cruelty of it all, but he also acknowledged that it could’ve been worse. Azula wasn’t one for drawing out torment needlessly, and there wasn’t any grudge for Xing to get creative. 

And then they heard Azula’s announcement. Zuko didn’t join in the cheers of the soldiers and servants around him, and instead let the relief wash over him for a moment before a new flavor of tension took him.

Sighing, Zuko walked out to the palace gates again, to greet the arriving ‘rebel’ army. Generals and their subordinates at the head of bloodstained men and cavalry and tanks stared at him expectantly. The prince drew in a breath to calm himself, and delivered the words. “My father is not here, but those who whispered poison and encouraged his madness have been…brought to justice.”

The air rang with the susurrations and clangs of leather and metal as the commanders knelt and saluted as one. “On behalf of Princess Azula, General Sho of the First Continental Army warmly extends his greetings and gratitude to Prince Zuko.”

Zuko drew in another breath, doing a very good job at keeping a calm, stony expression. He’d attribute it to Mai’s influence, rather than the etiquette tutors. 

“You may enter the palace to secure it, but only on your oath that you do so as loyal servants of the Fire Nation, and not anarchic and ungrateful brutes who are only out for blind vengeance.”

“As you say, Prince Zuko. Your royal sister only wishes to right the grievous wrongs dealt by your father and his court.”

Zuko gave a nod before stepping aside to let the procession march in. Sho and Mozi walked up to him, giving grim but approving nods of their own.

“Well done, your highness.”

The prince slumped as he finally felt the tension leave him. “I did my part,” was all he managed to say.

Mozi placed a strong hand on Zuko’s shoulder. “And did it well, your highness. I know this choice is a hard one for you, and I cannot imagine what you must be feeling now.”

He stared straight at the commander. “I…I’m just glad this will be over soon.”

“And new challenges will await,” Sho chimed in. “Have no doubt that we’ve pulled the reins of the Fire Nation to keep it from running into destruction. But at the same time, what comes after this will be tough.”

“I know,” Zuko sighed heavily. 

Some cries brought everyone’s attention to the skies, where the flying airship was now turning back to the palace.

“General Sho, Colo-”

“High General, by the grace of your sister.”

“High General Mozi. Clear the plaza to receive my sister’s arrival. Also send out some men to ensure that the city is well and truly ours.”

Zuko stared up at the descending airship with trepidation. Soon he’ll have to deal with his father and the Avatar in front of a crowd.

And then he’ll have to figure out where he truly fits into Azula’s grand plan…

Would it be too late to reenlist into the 11th?

70