Chapter 1: Introductions Are In Order…
98 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Anu steeled her nerves as she looked down at her blank phone, jumping up and down in place hoping that it would help. Just in front of her lies the massive grey walls of the City of Penubela, the City Stuck in Time. The grey walls looked like it belongs on a prison and not a city, but if one were to look up at the massive white buildings with blue windows, one would think they would be looking at the city of Heaven itself. A futuristic paradise that seems to always be sunny.

However, both the walls and the skyscrapers were a façade. The wall was upgraded and used to keep others out and keep things in as well, and the buildings were just afterimages, pictures of what the city once was. The doors to both leave and enter this city was painted the exact same color as the walls, as to barely stand out. That way, it'd be harder for people to get into the city. And, if the painted doors weren't enough, the remote location of the doors might be, surrounded by a little forest one would find sprinkled around in a big park. 

Both the wall and doors of this, well, wall, are heavily reinforced and not even monitored by cameras, but rather by almost every single satellite that can see it, insuring that if anyone tries to go through, over, under, or through the doors and wall of the city, they would be found out. Luckily, Anu has permission to be here and to enter the city.

After a string of "You got this, Anu", she went ahead and took a step forward, nervously brushing her short yet vibrant brown, somewhat orangish hair. As she was about to take another step, a red light shone over her, causing her to let out an "Eep!" and freeze in place. Only after seeing the small hatch above the doors where the red light is coming from did she remember what to do.

Reaching into her bag, she grabbed a rectangular device. As she was pulling it out, she felt the hum of the light grow louder, the light shining on her becoming warm. No doubt it is the AI of the wall getting ready to fire a laser if it thinks whatever Anu is pulling out is dangerous to it, the wall, and the doors. Luckily, for Anu, she was given something to help her through without waiting for the time it takes for the old AI to ask whatever base it is hooked up to and ask if Anu is supposed to enter or not. 

Taking out what looks to be a radio made of scrap, she holds it out in front of her, hoping with all her might that it works and that the AI doesn't turn her to a black smudge on the dirt. She has her eyes closed, missing the light minimize on the device in her hand before expanding once more, scanning her up and down, before turning off with a click. A second later, Anu jumped up with a squeak when the sound of metal groaning and moving, almost like a massive cargo ship tipping over. Opening her eyes, she let out a sigh of relief upon seeing the massive doors moving to the side before going up. It seems, for now at least, that she gets to live. 

However, her relief soon turned into dread upon seeing the blackness the doors revealed. She knows that, in terms of the monsters that lurk around the world, or Monseuteo, there are none in this city, or at least that is supposed to be the case. Even if there are some in the city, none should be in the tunnel to go into the city which is guarded by the AI. 

'Remember your task. Get in, get the samples, destroy the lab, and get out. Simple and easy...well, it should be.'

While there weren't Monseuteo in the city, the city does have its own twisted versions of them, though they are easier to handle since, in a sense, they are just zombies. Plus, they are located inside an isolated section of the city. 

Well, the city still is far from being safe. St. Louis may have once been the city of crime, the new title belongs to this city. You can't walk around the city for two to even one hour without seeing a crime take place. And that's not even mentioning...Them.

"Flashlight out," Anu said while taking out her flashlight. With a click it sparked to life, illuminating the darkness of the tunnel leading into the city, "You can do this."

She hopes she's not wrong...

 

 

 

 

....

 

 

 

 

Anu let out a big gasp, and instantly felt her cheeks go red. She had finally made it out of the tunnel, emerging from a seemingly quaint apartment-like building and out into the city by the wall. She was so glad to be out of the suffocating darkness, especially since her flashlight didn't seem to cut through the darkness as much as it did when she entered. Now that she's finally out of what felt like an hour walk, even though it was probably closer to twenty minutes, she couldn't help but start gasping for air.

Of course, she did so in a busy street. Heads swiveled towards her within an instant, hence why her cheeks went red. 

"Say, what's with the chick? She's gonna have bluh gushin' out of 'er," One man said, adjusting his dark blue suit and black flat cap. 

No one else seemed to want to comment out loud, but she still heard them muttering things to each other before continuing on with their lives. 

'Well...at least I'm in.' Anu thought, a weary smile on her face. She walked up to the end of the sidewalk and waited for the streetlights to turn red and allow her a chance to cross before the old modeled cars resumed their drive once more. It took a while but finally, it stopped. Adusting her light grey business suit, she took a step forward onto the street-

 

- and instantly jumped back when a car came speeding past.

Anu let out another yelp and jumped back, landing on her bum. Ignoring the pain she felt, she narrowed her eyes as she realized that the car that went past was a modern one. A black and red two-seater sports car. It seems the breach was a bit worse than she thought. 

'But I wonder why they were going so fast? Are they running from the police?'

She didn't have to wait long at all for the answer. In fact, two seconds after she had the thought the answer came speeding after the sports car. A 1923 Duesenberg Model A Touring Car, black in color, came speeding down the same road, a man dressed in black and holding a tommy gun sticking out the passenger window while what looks to be a young girl is on top of the car, crouching down. In her left hand is a giant silver and dark gold colored double-sided axe. Her shining bright yellow eyes turned and stared at Anu as the car passed, the excited smile on her face growing when they locked eyes. 

Then, she and the car she was on were gone. Anu stared at the street, stunned, and moved to get up when promptly a dozen or so other cars came speeding past, some black in colors while others were grey, which were the majority of the old sport cars, the sides shooting at each other.

One of the grey cars sparked before getting caught on fire. To top it off, one of the black cars rammed into it, causing the grey car to hit the curb and fly into the air like some kind of action film. And of course, because she has horrible luck, the grey car was falling right on top of her.

"Oh fuck me-" Anu cried as she covered her face with her arms.

 

 

 

....

 

 

"Say, just how fast can one of those experimental new models run for do you reckon?"

Jacob rubbed his nose before peeking out the window with his tommy gun.

"No clue, but I don't think any of us know the onions to give an answer," He replied, clicking his tongue upon seeing the distance between them and the weird-looking, yet definitely fast sports car increase more and more. 

Jacob adjusted the rear-view mirror to see the reflection of a young girl on the roof of the car. He stared at her for a few moments before cursing and taking out his revolver. He counted the bullets in it before closing it and leaning out the window.

"Hey! Magical Insane Psycho!" He called out, causing the girl to raise an eyebrow out of amusement, "Take this. It's my lucky re-"

He didn't get to finish when she squealed and snatched the gun from his hand.

"Ooh hoo hoo haa!" She laughed as she examined the gun, studying it in the sunlight, "Do I get to blow off heads with this?"

"Yeah yeah, ya psycho. Just don't break it or it's yer ass who won't be getting any juice for this week!"

"It better be the good stuff!" She replied, giggling, "Now, Trevor Tennsin. Do ya remember the pickup plan?"

"I do I do, so you better stick with it too, lassey," He cursed under his breath, swviling the car as he did so to avoid someone who was too slow to react to the speeding car heading their way before continuing, "Remember, the Don doesn't want any more slip-ups, Trace."

She responded in her typical fashion, "Hi-Ho!"

Stretching her arms, she rested the axe over her shoulders before jumping off the car, caving it in the process and earning herself a curse from Jacob which she did not hear. 

Landing on the side of the office building, she started running almost as if she was running on the ground and, well, not on a horizontal surface. Each step she took flashed with a yellow light. Each step she increased in speed. In each step she got closer and closer to running faster than the speeding car she was just on...

....until she was. 

Her figure became a golden blur as she ran on building after building, rapidly closing in on her target. Perhaps sensing the incoming danger, or maybe seeing the light show coming closer and closer to them through the rear-view mirror, a gruff-looking man wearing a black fuzzy coat stuck his head out of the window, saw her, and promptly headed right back in.

"Ahh, Shit! Magical Girl!" He yelled before turning to the rather young driver, "Drive faster or we're toast!"

"I am!" He yelled, his voice cracking, "But if I go too fast I'll lost control of the car and it'll crash!"

"Kid, that might be a better solution than facing the monster that's closing in," He reached underneath him and pulled out a M-1903, "I'll buy us some time, so you better find a way to get us out of here.'

The teen nodded once before putting all of his focus on the road ahead of him, as well as the buildings that are in front of him. 

The Magical Girl's grin grew more as she closed the distance between her and her target. Soon, she'll be within pouncing range. Once she is, she'll get to end this the fun way instead of just summoning something in front of the car to block it. After all, one of the reasons she joined this gang was to have fun.

Her grin lessened a little upon seeing a glint poke out of the car. She lowered her body and swung her axe in front of her, using it to block the bullet that came not a moment later. Using her ears, she heard the man put his gun away before doing something. 

'Pulling out another gun?'

Swinging her axe up and over her shoulder, her smile grew wider as she saw her guess was correct. He now had a M-1903 out. 

'I expect shooting at me with a revolver was a trick move meant to catch me off-guard when you switched. Hmmm. Have you fought a Magical Girl before?'

The thought was exciting to her. She herself only became a Magical Girl four years ago, and it was only four months ago that she realized the full extent of what she could do. As such, she is rather eager to see if she'll either die, get her ass whooped, be in for one Hell of a fight, or if she'll defeat the man without any issue. 

Picking up speed, she avoided each bullet, her wild speed and movements making every attempt to lead a shot and predict her a failure. The man knew that the Magical Girl is about to pounce. Even from this distance he could see her muscles tensing up and her eyes scanning the street below, calculating.

"Now or never, kid," He stated, bumping his shoulder while keeping his eyes trained on his target.

The teen nodded and, after one last glance, turned sharply to the right and cut through a staircase and driving through round a fountain, skidding to a stop on another street before picking up speed and taking the nearest left to put as much distance between them and the Magical Girl as they can. To top it off, they are now driving on the right side of the road. 

The Magical Girl was confused for a total of two seconds before she froze and, six seconds later, dove through the window of the building she was running across. Rolling to a stop, she got up and got ready to run when she stopped, stars filling her eyes as she looked around the small area of an office she found herself in. For some reason, she just felt like this place is just really nice. 

Maybe it was the yellow walls, the small picture frames on the wall, or the assortment of colorful rugs and toys in the corner, or maybe it was just because the place felt nostalgic. Maybe, if she stayed here longer she can figure out the reason why-

"Oh wait. My mission, right," And without a second hesitation, she jumps right through the window, landing right next to the fountain below, and landing just in time to see her target zoom around the corner.

"Oh no ya don't!" She started tearing after them, moving faster and faster until, within a couple of seconds, she was already a couple of feet behind the car. 

"Ahh, shit. You didn't really shake her kid!" He leaned out the window again, took aim, and fired at the Magical Girl. Much to his dismay, she moved an inch over to the left, avoiding the bullet.

"Well, I'd like to see her try to-" The driver began, a big cocky grin on his face that went away instantly when he heard a thump on the roof of the car.

"And she has just jumped on top of the car," The man said dryly. 

"Do doo do doo doo, do doo do do," Singing can be quite fun, especially when one knows something fun is about to happen. At least, that's what Magical Girl Trace thought.

Setting her axe down, its weight causing the car ceiling to cave in the backseat area, she rubbed her hands together, the air sparkling yellow behind her. 

"Now where did I put that revolver?" She started checking the pouches on her waist. 

While she was distracted, the man peeked out the window, revolver in his hand, and aimed at the Magical Girl's head. Noticing this out of the corner of her eye, Trace kept on searching with one hand while the other went behind her back to where the air was shimmering. Instantly, a yellow and silver-hilted katana appeared in her hand, and her smile grew.

"Got you, you Ma-" The man began, but stopped upon feeling a sharp pain in his arm. 

"No, I think I got You," Trace growled, her eyes wide with glee as she reached down to grab the arm she had just impaled with her summoned katana. 

Ignoring the sound of him desperately firing the revolver, she pulled the man out through the window and tossed him into the staff of her axe, stopping him from falling off the car. 

"On your feet, you're up against the cat's pajamas," She waited patiently, a smug smile on her face.

The man knew he didn't stand much of a chance, even if he...nevermind. The katana was gone from his arm. 

Getting up, he studied the Magical Girl. He knew who she was as, despite only showing up four months ago, she became quite popular and infamous. Taken in by the George Bugs Moran side of the Elesstro Family two months ago, she has been doing nothing but causing mayhem and killing the mafia's targets ever since. Compared to most Magical Girls, her outfit is a lot less casual. She wears a yellow, white, and black sundress, brown gloves that don't actually reach her hands, as well as big orange rings around her wrists. Her golden yellow hair was tied into a long ponytail that matched her golden eyes, and her hairband had a bunch of orange, black, and very light pink feathers. Finally, she wore black heavy boots. 

Needless to say, her outfit is definitely eccentric. 

His only advantage he has in this fight would be in terms of skill. She's a new Magical Girl, and so far has only relied on magical attacks and brute strength to get things done. Of course, there is the problem of her reflexes and speed, something that doesn't seem to be lacking. However, right now he would rather not think about that concerning issue. Instead, he just swung at her.

Instead of blocking it or jumping back like he expected, Trace ducked the swing before grabbing his outstretched arm. Knowing the danger if she gets him in an armlock, he rushed at her only for the Magical Girl to trip him, sweeping his legs and letting go of his arm. He nearly fell off the car but, luckily, he caught himself just in time. 

Trace lifted her foot in the air, ready to curb stomp the man. Just as her foot came down, the man rolled out of the way. With her foot down, he reached out to try and grab it, hoping to trip her, but she knew it was coming and lifted her foot.

Letting out a groan of pain, he got up to his knees, the hand not supporting him reaching into his inner jacket pocket to take out the knife that was there. Unfortunately, for him, Trace did not give him the chance. She moved in and socked him in the face.

The man spat out some blood and glared at her, "You Bi-"

She cut him off by grabbing his throat and lifting him up. 

"That's a no-no word, Mister," Trace exclaimed, though there wasn't a trace of anger in her eyes, just excitement, "Now to move on to the next target!"

With that, she tossed him into the air, caught him by his face, and started squeezing. It was all over within a couple of seconds, and she tossed the man off the car, his lower jaw now gone. 

Dusting her hands off, she picked up her axe and walked over to the head of the car. Once there, she lifted her axe up into the air and slammed it down on the front, tipping it over. Jumping off the car, she grabbed the hilt of her axe with both hands and swung like she was swinging a baseball bat. The car flew off her axe, flying into a nearby store where it promptly blew up.

"See!" Trace exclaimed to no one, lifting her axe onto her shoulders, "I did it with style, just like the Don would have wanted."

By the time Jacob and Trevor arrived, the building the car went in was already entirely on fire, and the other buildings surrounding it were fairing no better, caught on fire themselves.

"Oh, what the fuck did that psycho chick do now?" Jacob asked, shock and annoyance thick on his face as he stepped out of the car, tommy gun in hand.

Nearby, said psycho is sitting down on a bench struggling to open a bottle of soda with her hands. 

"Say, think the Don will keep up with this nutcase's mishaves?" Trevor asked, getting out of the car and looking at the burning buildings, "I mean, I know this is the Varsil's territory, but I'm sure there was a rule about destroying things that citizens are in."

"That's all that Damn Right Hand ever Talks about with us!" Jacob growled, vividly remembering all the times he had to deal with his jabbering and vivid slobbering.

"Say, what does this make it? The forty-fourth building she destroyed?" Trevor asked, flinching as something inside the crumbled building fell down with a massive thud.

"I tell ya, Magical Girls are nothing but damn trouble!" Jacob turned to glare at Trace, who was now using her teeth to try and get the cap off.

"Well, they don't have to know it was her."

Jacob perked up and looked at Trevor, his eyebrows raised in confusion.

"What do ya mean?"

"I mean," Trevor began, crossing his arms and leaning back on the car, "The street is empty, meaning we had no witnesses. Besides, the car is in there. For all we know, the driver crashed that car trying to shake off Trace."

"Trevor, this is Magical fucking Girl Trace we're talking about. The Yellow Psycho," He cast a long sideways glance at Trace, who was now making a pouty face at the soda, "She obviously threw the car into the building."

"Well, "we" don't know that, if you get what I'm sayin' here," Trevor responded, a smirk growing on his face.

"Ahh. I do," Jacob started chuckling, "Trevor, you one smart bastard, I tell ya."

"Hey, I'm behind the eight ball over here!" Trace, finally looking up and noticing the two, called them over while waving the soda in the air, "Can ya help me out?"

"Psycho, we're in a tougher spot than you because of You!" Jacob snarled, but still walked over to help the Magical Girl out, muttering all the while.

He didn't get very far when two black cars rolled up to the scene, a much sleeker and darker color than the ones the three are used to seeing and driving. It was also enough to get Trevor to walk up to Jacob and, as much as he hates her, Trace. 

The car doors opened, and out stepped sixteen people, one three of them standing out with their white ties while one, a female, stood out in the back by the black and red gothic dress she wore, and her rather dull and narrowed red eyes.

The suits they were wearing had some dark blue mixed in, separating them from the outfits Jacob, Trevor, and most of their men wore. 

"Ehh, aren't those Al Capone's side men?" Jacob asked, leaning back to whisper into Trevor's ear.

The man who looked like the head hanco took a couple of steps forward, his hands clasped together, and opened his mouth slightly to speak. However, no words came out right away, the man instead turning to his left to examine the burning buildings with a silent gaze, his expression unreadable, though there might be some amusement in it. This caused Trevor and Jacob to start sweating harder, and even Trace felt nervous. 

Finally, the man turned back to the trio and cleared his throat.

"Gentlemen, and Magical Girl," He began, his voice even and a bit sickly, "If you would come with us."

The three looked at each other, all thinking the same thing.

'We're boned.'

4