Ch 5.5 | Business partners
7 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 5

Alicia white 

Yggdrasil time [23:32] 

Outer Regions | Arena testing 01 of Major Intersection Promus Base | LP 05 Anchor | 

Alicia’s cheeks felt a gentle tug, barely noticeable but enough to disrupt the soothing embrace that had enveloped her entire being. As her mind slowly drifted awake, a distant voice could be heard.

Despite the annoyance, Alicia held onto the soothing sensation, determined not to let go. Suddenly, a sharp punch jolted her awake as she instinctively brushed away the sensation from her cheeks.

“Your Grace!” A familiar voice echoed in her ears.

When she opened her eyes to the sound of the familiar voice, she was met with Vanessa’s close-up face. Vanessa’s red eyes gleamed, and her pink short hair appeared to be gently brushed back by the air flowing around her. With the red wings behind her, she momentarily resembled an angelic being in Alicia’s drowsy gaze.

Vanessa greeted her with a beaming smile and exclaimed, “You’re finally awake! Good morning, sister!”

‘I feel asleep?’ 

Alicia noticed the unusual wings behind Vanessa’s back and couldn’t help blurting out, “Good morning, Vanessa. What’s with the wings? Why are you in my room so early? Did something happen?” 

Vanessa beamed another smile and held back a laugh as she pinched Alicia’s soft cheeks. “Wake up, sleepyhead! We’re still in the middle of playing. Don’t tell me you forgot?”

“Playing?”

Repeating those words, the memory resurfaces in Alicia’s mind, causing her eyes to widen. She remembered her match with Bella, a battle that ultimately led to her demise. But shortly after, she found herself awakening in an unknown device that resurrected her.

Alicia scanned her surroundings and found herself lying amidst Lesny’s shadows. Raising her body to a sitting position, she realized that she was no longer in the Boundary but in the Medium, directly on the stage where she had recently died. 

Struggling to form coherent words, Alicia wondered aloud, “What happened to me?”, her recent memories muddled and disjointed as she drifted in and out of consciousness.

As Alicia looked down at her body, she noticed that the wounds she had received appeared to be completely healed. Surveying her surroundings, she saw her bell and veil hat floating from Lesny’s shadowy body. Nonchalantly, Alicia retrieved the items and started to equip them in their usual spots.

Simultaneously, Vanessa wryly smiled as she extended a hand to Alicia, “Bella stabbed you in the heart, causing your death, and activating your ability ‘Arise from Ashes’, We then transported you to the Boundary as per your resurrection requirements. How are you feeling? Anything amiss?”

“I died in what scenario? That doesn’t make any– Oh.” As Alicia attempted to deny it, a sudden realization washed over her as she recollected the moments of her death.

Alicia’s thoughts began to race. ‘My mind and augment were paralyzed due to a failure of my possession ability. The paralysis resulted in my A-cells not trying to regenerate my damaged heart. Wait, A-cells?’

Alicia closed her eyes and focused, trying to command her augment to thoroughly inspect her body. As she did so, Vanessa, who had her hand in the air, grew tired and watched Alicia’s behavior suspiciously. Eventually, Vanessa decided to pinch Alicia’s cheeks once more.

“Are you sure you’re not sleeping?” Vanessa inquired, her eyes fixed on the unwavering Alicia.

“Not at all,” Alicia responded, opening her eyes. “I was inspecting my body. It seems my body does not have any A-cells at the mo–.”

Before Alicia could finish speaking, Vanessa interjected excitedly, “Oh! We are the same!!”

“Similar, you say? Elaborate.”

“One of the requirements for my resurrection is A-cells. During my egg-state, my body would release A-cells onto the egg, which in turn would heal my body.”

As Vanessa explained, Alicia recollected her time inside the egg, recalling the image of the membrane dissolving and the wounds inexplicably appearing on her skin causing her to bleed. Despite commanding her augment, it only responded that her body was missing. However, there was one thing that was unclear to Alicia.

“While I was inside the egg, I was awake. Was that the same for you?” Alicia asked, raising an eyebrow.

Vanessa nodded and replied with a simple, “Yep!”

“However, there was one thing that was incomprehensible to me. My augment said I didn’t have a body, even though I was in Medium. How does that make sense?”

Upon hearing this, Vanessa turned around and gestured for someone to approach. Alicia followed suit and noticed the numerous Seekers nearby - some were engaged in a lively conversation, others were busy fiddling something in the air, and a few seemed to be in daze. She spotted Erwin amid the crowd, making quick strides towards them.

Erwin arrived, his smile appearing somewhat forced as he greeted them, “How can I be of service?”

Vanessa chuckled at his stiff demeanor and playfully slapped his side. “Chillax! My sister already said informality is fine.”

“Right, I somehow forgot about that.” Erwin wryly confessed. “So, what do you need?”

“Perfect,” Vanessa nodded to herself. “We need an explanation about avatars, abilities, and augments- similar to the one you gave me about why I couldn’t use my racial abilities while I was in my egg.” 

Erwin nodded and turned to face the seated Alicia. “As far as we know, we don’t have the exact details on why Seekers can’t use their abilities during resurrection. When considering how mechanics we have known this far, our real-world bodies and avatars in the game are different. The game provides abilities to our avatars, but the sets of abilities are dependent on our base race. This means that even though we can transform into another race, we are unable to use their abilities.”

“Base race? That is the first time I have ever heard that term in this game. What do you mean by that, exactly?” Alicia inquired, her brow furrowing in confusion as she sought clarification.

“Base race refers to the race we selected initially for our avatars. However, knowing that this game is made from Frontline Development, it’s highly likely that we may have the option to change our base race through natural or item evolution in order to acquire new abilities. But that’s something for later.” Erwin explained.

Alicia nodded and continued, “How does this relate to the issue of being unable to use racial abilities?”

“Based on the rules we know so far, our avatar’s properties change depending on the environment. For instance, when we enter the Boundary, our augment perceive that our bodies do not exist, which prevents us from freely altering our biological forms. In the Boundary, our avatars are perceived as dead or non-existent, but we can still use our abilities due to our initial base race.” Erwin expanded.

Meanwhile, Vanessa beckoned several Seekers to come. As the unfamiliar faces approached, a levitating chair glided to the forefront. Vanessa casually took Alicia’s hand and guided her to the chair, while positioning herself behind Alicia.

“Yes, you certainly made that clear when you explained my abilities earlier in the Boundary.” Alicia commented, pausing for a moment as if something clicked within her. “Does it operate under the same rule as the Boundary? Which means that during resurrection, our abilities enter a different property, making our abilities restricted while our bodies become undetectable by our augments?”

As Alicia spoke, Vanessa removed the veil hat on Alicia’s head and began styling her hair, deftly braiding two strands and wrapping it behind her head. 

Erwin hesitated, weighing his thoughts. “While that may be a potential reason, we can’t be certain. I think it’s best to wait for the Verification Team’s assessment.” 

“Your words are well-defined, my thanks for explaining, Erwin.” Alicia said, nodding in gratitude.

“Wait, wait! You’re forgetting about the requirements for resurrection!” Vanessa interjected loudly as she returned the veil hat.

“Oh, right,”Erwin exclaimed, snapping his fingers in realization. “Before that, may I ask something?”

Alicia replies, “What is it?”

“Since waking up, have you experienced any illnesses, disease, loss of organs, addition of organs, cancers, lack of A-cells, or any other unnatural behaviors in your body?”

“I haven’t had any problems. According to my Augments, I am in good health, except for the lack of A-cells in my body.”

“Lack of A-cells? Is the amount of your A-cells different from before you died, or are they depleted from  your body after your resurrection?” Erwin continued.

Alicia answered, “Before I died, I had at least three liters of A-cells in my body. However, after my resurrection, my augment informed me that they have been completely depleted from my system.”

Erwin nodded as he listened to Alicia’s report, his eyes seemingly focused elsewhere, “So, to be resurrected, you need A-cells totaling three liters or more. Additionally, you require either the waters of the Boundary or the light of the Boundary – or maybe both, I am uncertain.”

Alicia nodded, but a sense of oddity crept over her. “How are you certain that these are my requirements?”

“Absolutely not certain, but I have a video clip saved of your resurrection that you can review once you’ve signed the contract with the Goddess Alzepta. To explain, during your resurrection, Boundary waters seemed to react, bubbling and producing a steam-like black smoke that entered your egg. After that, there was a change in the environment– the surroundings became extremely cold and dark, with only the egg glowing. Keep in mind that this is from a visual perspective, and the actual requirements may vary. You may need to verify this later with the Verification Team at headquarters.”

“I see. Once again, thank you for the explanation,” Alicia said.

“I am honored to serve the Divine.” Erwin said, bowing his head in reverence.

Suddenly, Bella’s figure materialized behind Erwin, causing Alicia to startle. In contrast to the usual distortion that happens when a Seeker appears from the Boundary. Bella’s emergence was devoid of any such effects.

“Good morning, my dearest Alice,” Bella greeted, her voice flowing like honey as she gracefully approached.

“Who are you calling ‘My dearest?’ You insolent bloodsucker.” Alicia cursed in reply.

Erwin silently backaway from the three royals, blending with crowd.

“Hmph! Do not compare my kind to low-intelligence animals,” Bella said with pride, exaggerating a dismissive wave. “Enough chit-chat. You’ve lost. I am the victor of this match, and you, the loser, must fulfill your part.”

“I have not changed my words, not once.” Alicia stated firmly. “Why are you so fixated on my Privacy Protection provided by the law?”

“I intend to use you for my business marketing in the future.” Bella said, a smug expression on her face.

Alicia visibly frowned, thinking, ‘Even though she’s a Gavela, using me only for marketing, the very person who seeks to increase her social status and connections. No matter her reasons, that should not be her main goal.’

Nearby Seekers silently prepared chairs for Bella and Vanessa and placed a rectangular table between Bella and Alicia. On the table, cups of tea and plates of a variety of  exotic fruits such as pink apples and ketl fruit, were carefully arranged.

“I have known for many long years, Bella Gavela.” Alicia said, her voice tinged with suspicion.  “What’s your real reason?”

Bella appeared startled for a moment before regaining her neutral expression. She clicked her tongue. “Why do you need a reason? Mind if I remind you that you lost? You’re a loser; you have no right to question my motives.”

Ignoring Bella’s dismissive tone, Alicia reached for the cup in front of her. The stream rose from it, carrying the rich aroma to her nose. Sensing the change in atmosphere,  Vanessa occupied herself with the holographic window in front of her, occasionally casting a glance.

“That’s true.” Alicia nodded, taking a sip from her cup, her face void of any emotion. She continued, “After all, we are nothing more than business partners.”

Bella’s expression turned into a frown upon hearing those words, her lips pursed as if she had swallowed a bug. She averted her gaze and hesitantly opened her mouth, appearing nervous as she spoke, “We-well… My lover mentioned wanting to follow your socials. However, as a first class individual without a noble status, it is impossible for her to follow your socials.”

“Oh? You have a lover?” Vanessa appeared shocked as she looked over at Alicia, who wore her usual expressionless face. “I thought…”

Noticing this, Bella teased a sly grin, “What? Are you jelly?”

‘No wonder you are far different from the last time we had met.’ Alicia remarked in her head, staring at Bella.

“Me? Jealous of you?” Vanessa emphasized with overly extravagant gestures. “When I have my sister who has everything that you don’t.”

“Do you have to emphasize it like that, Vanessa?” Bella replied, her expression stiffening. ”I clearly didn’t mean it that way.”

Vanessa pouted and focused on plucking Kelt fruit from its strands, her expression reflecting her apparent annoyance. “Hmph,” she huffed, not bothering to hide her expression.

With the chatter settled, Alicia continued, “Why don’t you consider purchasing a title for her? A baronial title from the Imperial Guardian House cost around 100 million ISD.” She suggested, “If you’re interested, I can arrange for her to attend my institution for a year and facilitate the acquisition of baronial title.”

Bella delicately sipped her tea before remarking, “it must be nice to be part of the Imperial Head of Galactic Government. While I do appreciate your suggestion, the thought of being separated from my lover for a year greatly saddens me.”

“Why not consider joining my institute as well? For many long years, the Institute for Governing boasted the highest quality in producing excellent government officials within the Aetherian Empire. As a graduate of my institution, it would significantly enhance your position and standing as one of the section governors of your family’s galaxy.” Alicia boasted, “You can leave the management of your territory to one of the supervisors of the Imperial Guardian House or to your own kin.”

Vanessa, who had been listening intently, tilted her head in confusion and inquired, “Wait, I thought only graduates from the Institute can enter positions in the governing body?”

“Oh, it is. But it’s my family’s galaxy we are discussing. In the Destrato Kani Galaxy, individuals of Gavela’s bloodline can enter governing positions without the necessity of institute graduates or years of service to the Empire,” Bella explained, with a proud smile displayed. “However, a Gavela must appeal to the head of family before we can touch those positions.”

“Vanessa, there are different types of territorial spaces within the empire.” Alicia supported, her tone carrying a subtle hint of accusation. “First, we have the Aetherian space, which is ruled by our sovereigns. Second, there are royal-states, ruled by the royal-classes. And third, there are non-royal states, where the people within those states hold the power. Does this ring a bell?”

In a hurried gesture, Vanessa nervously answered, “Of course! Of cours… Oh, I remember now! Some of the galaxies are royal-states, completely autonomous and independent from the empire’s law. Oh, so you mean that Bella’s family has altered some laws?”

“Excellent answer, Vanessa. I am delighted,” Alicia said, her expression softening as she affectionately patted Vanessa’s head. 

“In any case, your suggestion is appealing, so I will consider it as one of the options in the future. But in the case I do decide to go that path, what would you recommend?” Bella asked, popping a whole ketl fruit into her mouth, her brow furrowed in thought as her gaze fell to the table.

Alicia shifted her gaze to the front, focusing her sight on Bella’s pondering expression. “In order to gain admittance to my institution, your partner must be able to provide evidence of their years of service to the empire, as well as a university degree. Alternatively, you may give her your royal sponsorship document, which will be automatically sent to me for approval.”

Alicia paused, observing Bella’s reaction before continuing. “If you are interested in joining as well, I suggest contacting the Imperial Guardian house to request a temporary supervisor for your territory. Another option is to consider hiring administrative androids from the Protocol One nation.”

“Wait, Protocol One Nation… Is this not one of the countries under your vassalization?” Bella asked, lifting her head to fix Alicia with an accusing gaze.

“Administrative Androids come highly recommended by the Aether Family themselves,” Alicia said nonchalantly, taking a sip of her tea.

“How sly of you, so apparent,” Bella mocked, arching an eyebrow and flashing a mischievous grin at Alicia. “But not this time.”

“I assure you that I have no intention of doing anything negative to a business partner of mine. Whatever is on your mind, I am falsely accused.”

Bella inquired with a hint of seduction, “It is quite peculiar that you are investing time in thinking about helping me. What are your true intentions, my business partner?”

Alicia’s lips curved upward as she replied, “Well, of course, for marketing purposes.”

Vanessa, who had been quietly sipping her hot tea, was taken aback and let out a surprise cough. At the same time, Bella, clutching her cup tightly, accidentally broke it and wounded her fingers. Ignoring the bleeding, Bella gave Alicia an irritating glare while the other was struggling to hold back her laughter.

Alicia continued nonchalantly, “In any case, I look forward to hearing about you or your lovers’ application to my institute.”

Several Seekers nearby rushed to assist, cleaning up the mess caused by Vanessa and Bella. Other members of the Seekers, identifiable by their uniforms similar to Bella’s, silently arrived and healed her wounds.

“Do not bother looking forward to it,” Bella declared confidently. “Regardless, you’ve lost the match and you must adhere to the conditions.”

“Certainly, you have my word,” Alicia affirmed. “On another note, regarding the two labyrinths you mentioned earlier, state your price.”

“It’s quite amusing how you mentioned being treated as an ordinary seeker, yet we’re dealing with real-world matters,” Bella remarked with a smirk.

“True,” Vanessa muttered. “Are you two always like this? Always talking about business? Or something?”

“Bella brought it up. Blame her,” Alicia said.

“And you bought it?” Bella reminded.

“I’m not trying to find someone to blame though,” Vanessa said, her tone filled with exhaustion.

“Hear that, Alice?” 

Alicia ignored Bella’s remark and quietly sipped her tea. Seeing this, Bella followed suit. Silence filled the space for a moment before Alicia opened her mouth once more.

”So, how much?” Alicia continued. 

“How much are you willing to pay?” Bella inquired. “I remember you buying Labyrinths regardless of the price. If I say, one billion ISD for two, would you take it?”

“True, she always buys Labyrinths. She might as well take the entire market for Labyrinths are this point.”

Ignoring Vanessa’s remark, Alicia sighed dramatically, “Bella, I wonder what kind of image you have of me in your mind.”

“A stubborn, prideful, and manipulative person with lots of wealth, I guess?”

“Also a time-freak person.” Vanessa quietly added under her breath, but it was enough for Alicia to hear it but decided to ignore it.

“Are you talking about Prince Shin?” Alicia responded, her eyes fixed on Bella.

Bella shrugged and turned her gaze towards one of the floating red dots from a seeker. “He may not be the brightest, but his pride doesn’t measure up to yours, especially when it comes to that ego of yours.”

Alicia’s initial response was a silent opening of her mouth, but with a heavy sigh, she eventually spoke, “I’ll offer 300 million ISD for both.”

“I could auction off those Labyrinths and make more than that. 600 million ISD.” Bella suggested.

“You do know that no one ever tries to compete with me for things like this in the auction house,” Alicia declared, “If it’s a labyrinth, it is automatically mine. 400 million ISD.”

“I’m asking 500 million for both, but as a friend, I will give you a discount, 450 million ISD for both, under the same conditions as previously stated: as the section governor, I won’t hold you responsible for whatever happens inside the Labyrinth,” Bella asserted, extending a hand.

“Very well,” Alicia agreed, taking the hand. “Tomorrow at 10 o’clock of the universal time, I expect you to send your ownership transfer permit to the Imperial Guardian House.”

“Do not bother worrying about that, Prince Shin has hired several advisors from the Imperial Guardian House. They should be working on an initial draft of the transaction bill while observing from Erwin’s stream,” Bella said as she gazed among the crowd.

“As expected of shin, an abuse of power,” Vanessa commented with a nod and a knowing smile.

Alicia followed her gaze to find Erwin making his way to the table, drawn by Bella’s inviting gesture.

Bella’s lip curved with a proud smile as she remarked, “Congratulations with the promotion, Erwin, Commander of the Promus’ Boundary.”

Erwin responded with a vacant gaze as he casually took a seat beside Bella. “Aha, the decision was rather forceful because… Prince Shin. Anyways, I’d like to inform the Divineness that the preparations for the escort, known as The Divine Pathway Operation, are ready. I’ve been assigned as the Commander for this operation and we await your presence to begin.”

Alicia nodded to his words and stood up, turning to face Vanessa as she tilted her head. “Vanessa, are you coming with me or not?”

“Sorry, I’d like to stay with Bella until the last batch. You can go ahead; we can meet up later in about 3 hours or so,” Vanessa replied with a wry smile.

“Very well.” Alicia responded, her voice ringed with a hint of worry.

“Ah, before you go,” Bella interjected, capturing their attention. “Do you still remember Princess Fujii?”

“I could never forget such a skillful child,” Alicia responded, “In fact, the Crimson Code informed me of the members of the Expedition’s Control Team, and I happen to know that Princess Fujii is also participating.”

“Good,” Bella replied. “Princess Fujii is one of the Commanders of the Promus northwest base. She’s out controlling a designated area due to the destructive monster named Eingre that’s been disrupting the supply lines. As a member of the Control Team, I am assigning you Erwin, a compulsory order. During the Divine Pathway operation, you will retrieve Fujii from the temporary base Kusoge and escort both the Divineness and Princess Fujii to the entrance of Labyrinth. Do you understand Erwin?”

Upon hearing this, Erwin immediately stood up from the chair and saluted by placing his fist on his heart. “I will comply with the orders of the Control Team!”

Alicia looked at the scene with an odd gaze, then turned her attention to Vanessa, who was enthusiastically making two thumbs-up gestures as her wings fluttered excitedly. Suddenly, a speck of memory resurfaced, causing Alicia to furrow her brow.

As Bella took a sip of her tea peacefully, Alicia called her out with a cold voice, saying, “That reminds me, Bella Montiri Gavela.”

Almost immediately, Bella set her teacup down with a clink and shot Alicia an annoyed look. “What is it?”

“Who decided to name the moon?” Alicia’s voice held a subtle change, devoid of all emotion, as she pointed a finger towards the celestial body that hung in the sky like a watchful eye. “It seems alive, like an unknown being staring down at us.”

Upon hearing those words, Bella blinked in momentary shock before responding, “It was Shin’s idea, and I cosigned.”

Alicia’s gaze fixated on the red dot hovering around Erwin. “Shin, if you’re watching. I do hope you are prepared to be questioned.”

2