Ch 4.2 | Ability check
26 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 2

Alice Blodeuwodd Fenix.

Yggdrasil time [21:53]

Outer Regions | Arena testing 01 of Major Intersection Promus Base | LP 05 Anchor | 

 

"A-Are you absolutely certain about accepting this challenge, your Grace?" Vanessa asked, her worry evident in her trembling voice.

Contrary to Vanessa, Alicia replied with confidence, "Indeed. And also, watch how you address me; this is not the real world, is it? Well, regardless of where we are, you are free to choose whatever you see fit."

Alicia strode through the aisle of sword racks, carefully examining each one to find the perfect match for her style. The racks displayed an array of swords – some thin, some broad, some short, and some long. Additionally, uniquely designed and oddly bent swords were also present among the assortment.

She selected a thin sword from its rack, unsheathed it from its leather scabbard, and elegantly swung it open, causing the wind to screech. Satisfied with the trial, Alicia sheathed the sword and returned it to the rack.

She continued forward with Vanessa in tow and several seekers who volunteered to assist her. Vanessa nodded along with her sister's words, but she seemed to not understand it.

As if coming to a conclusion, Vanessa asked curiously, “Have you guys fought before?”

"Countless times during my university and military school," Alicia answered, "Bella would be on the losing side in most of the matches."

“I never realized you two were friends… Even Shin mentioned that you all met in school earlier.”

"We had actually met several times before at the New Year celebrations in the Royal Capital, even before we crossed paths in school. After all, most of the Royal status would gather and meet during the event."

“Huh,” Vanessa tilted her head, “Then why haven’t I been invited?”

"Haven't been invited?" Alicia paused briefly, eyeing a sword she found intriguing. "Mind if I remind you that you were so busy with your daily life that you can’t attend the New Year celebration? It doesn't matter too much, so don't dwell on it."

"Hmm," Vanessa hummed thoughtfully. "If I were to attend this year's New Year's event, would I have the chance to meet the other royals? Sir Anderson, or the entire Fong family, Bella, and Fujii, perhaps?"

"Yes, but you need to send an appointment letter," Alicia answered, hefting a broad sword twice her size. "Not that it matters, but I think you would prefer a more respectable approach."

Her hands trembled as she attempted to lift the broadsword, but she quickly gave up and placed it back. Alicia gazed at her hands, a puzzled expression crossing her face.

“How odd. How come I cannot raise the sword I normally would be able to?” Alicia muttered in confusion.

"Ah!" Vanessa exclaimed, her voice sparking with realization. "Oh, oh. It's probably because of your status rating?"

Alicia turned towards Vanessa, a puzzled expression on her face. "Status rating? What's that?"

During her avatar creation, Alicia remembered encountering the term "status rating" in the descriptions of her Ghost and the Phoenix Remnant races. However,  Alicia was rather familiar with the term as Vanessa usually chattered with her about games and used gaming terms.

Alicia simply assumed it was something similar.

"Do you remember the status of your avatar?" Vanessa questioned.

“Yes, what about it?”

“So, the status rating is, how do you say this, the limiter of your race?”

“What do you mean exactly?” Alicia raised a brow as she inquired.

Vanessa's face fell into a frown as she abruptly paused, deep in thought, and massaged her chin with her fingers. Suddenly, she turned around and raised her hand, waving at someone in the sky, outside the weapon racks.

As Alicia followed Vanessa's directions, she suddenly noticed a notification in the corner of her eye. It was alerting her to the fact that she was present in a live stream. However, the window displaying the stream was smaller compared to the previous alert.

Alicia decided to entertain the notification, causing the window to expand and displaying a list of numerous people. The list was separated into two categories: those currently streaming nearby and streamers who currently have her on their view.

'This time, I'll confirm it, now that my appearance has recovered,' Alicia thought.

The contents of the floating window became emptied and soon faded into thin air.

Returning her attention, a figure descended from the sky. It was Erwin, like most Seekers with wings, it was twice the size of his body. His wings, feathered, were a deep blue, matching his eyes with his wavy blonde hair, and he sported a standard imperial uniform. He landed outside the weapon area gracefully and quickly approached them.

Erwin greeted them with a courteous bow, his gaze bright and earnest. "Erwin, at your service."

"Your Grace, this is Erwin. He's a fellow streamer and we are part of the same community, HoloHoloVV!"

“Same community?” Alicia inquired, confused by the sudden change in topic.

 

"Yeah, HoloHoloVV is a community of streamers doing streaming stuff, and Erwin is part of it too," Vanessa explained, somewhat reluctantly. "But when it comes to explaining, he's better than me, so the stage is all yours, Erwin!"

Erwin bowed, “I’m honored to be of service to the Divine.”

Alicia nodded to his words, “Raise your head… What does status rating refer to exactly?”

Alicia had noticed the status rating when she created her avatar. She had captured that moment, turning it into a memory. She recalled its details, showcasing every status like constitution, agility, and more, each being rated as a letter.

In her experience with the Last Ark simulation world, avatars never had status ratings. Instead, they were given abilities based on the racial factor selected by the player for their avatar, and their power depended on the player’s armaments.

"Your avatar in the simulation mirrors your real-world capabilities, and its status ratings are determined by your avatar's race. These ratings are meant to limit how you can apply your real-world capabilities to your avatar, but in some cases, individuals who lack the necessary qualifications are granted a bonus racial ability to compensate."

"I see," Alicia muttered. "Do you have any examples of the limitations you mentioned?"

"Yes, but unfortunately, the testing is conducted by a different department, so our test results may differ from theirs"

“That is fine.” Alicia nodded.

Upon receiving her confirmation, Erwin inquired, "May I know your current status rating regarding your constitution?"

“For constitution, I have B and A-”

As Alicia shared her two status ratings, Erwin's expression turned to one of surprise.

“OH!?” he exclaimed

Realizing his error, Erwin covered his mouth and bowed, saying, "My deepest apologies."

“Informality is fine. What prompted such a reaction?”

"What you have stated just now were dual status ratings, which are requirements to enter the Boundary. The first letter represents your status rating in the medium or the physical world, while the latter indicates your status rating in the Boundary." 

"Boundary? I'll need you to explain that later. Right now, let's concentrate on the status ratings," Alicia declared.

Nodding in agreement, Erwin explained, "Continuing, these ratings represent the percentage of your real-world capabilities. The verification team theorizes that the limitations of 'B' are approximately 70% of your real-world strength.”

Erwin paused for a moment before speaking, "Your constitution rating indicates that your avatar's body is about 70% as resilient as your real-world body. However, there are other unclear factors, so we're still waiting for the results from the Verification team."

Hearing this, Alicia couldn't help but ask, "Is the production of A-cells tied to the status rating? Specifically, the constitution?"

"We are not yet sure," Erwin answered with a troubled expression. "Some Seekers have reported that A-cells are tied to the constitution, while others are not. In rare cases, few seekers believe they are tied to a different status. Additionally, some Seekers do not produce any A-cells at all."

Alicia’s eyes widened as a realization hit her, and she wore a serious expression. "Oh, no wonder I am not producing the same results I would in the real world."

“Oh?” Erwin was surprised.

"Hmm, that's weird," Vanessa muttered. "I was so sure that you would still produce the same amount of A-cells like mine. Mine is completely independent of my constitution."

"Unfortunately, the verification doesn't provide any insight about why this is happening," Erwin added with a hint of frustration.

As Vanessa grumbled and cocked her head from side to side, Alice reached out and placed her hand on her sister's head, bringing her restless movements to a pause. Vanessa then lowered her head, allowing her sister to reach it more easily.

“What about the second status rating?” Alicia asked, prompting further discussion.

"We currently don’t know," Erwin explains. "The verification team claims that it is completely the same, at least for now."

"For the Boundary, my sister mentioned to me earlier that you have a similar ability to mine - interreality form. Can you explain what it does? Is it the same as Last Ark's ability?"

“I haven’t played Last Ark, so I might not be aware of how Yggdrasil and Last Ark are related. However, if you could share some examples, I would be happy to offer my opinion.”

"Very well," Alicia nodded. "In Last Ark, there are two realms: the spiritual realm and the living realm. The spiritual realm closely mirrors the living realm but exists in a separate plane. For instance, both realms can observe the same trees, but living entities are distinct within their respective realms."

Alicia reminisced about playing Last Ark with her sister and compared the differences in elements based on her experience with Last Ark and vague descriptions of Yggdrasil.

"Oh! It is indeed something similar to that," Erwin confirmed excitedly. "And the only way to cross those realms is by altering the properties of your body. The properties of a spirit should belong to the spirit realm, and the properties of a living being should belong to the living realm."

“Indeed,” Alicia said. 

“YES! It is, exactly!” Erwin aggressively agreed.

“I will test it out th--”

“Wait! Before you do, there are a few things I need to explain!” Erwin interjected urgently, flailing his arms in panic.

“Go on,” Alicia urged.

"In this world, the realms of the Last Ark are equivalent to the realities in Yggdrasil. However, there are multiple realities. Firstly, we are currently in the physical world, also referred to as the 'Medium’. Spiritual beings cannot manifest in this reality unless they can alter the properties of their bodies to something physical, and vice versa"

As Erwin gestured while speaking, Alicia nodded along. He continued, "The spiritual realm, also known as the Boundary reality in this world, serves as the next lesser reality. Seekers can enter by commanding our augment to lessen our body’s living properties by 10%," Erwin explained. "Exceeding the 10% increase may lead to the third reality, which remains mysterious as most Seekers perish before reaching it. Nonetheless, we are confident in our eventual ability to reach that level."

Curiosity aroused Alicia’s mind as she asked, "So, does that mean other Seekers can enter the Boundary freely?"

"Yes and no," Erwin explained. "Status ratings are crucial in different realities. To access the boundary, you need a dual status rating. And perhaps the same thing is applied to the 3rd reality. Otherwise, you will perish the moment you enter their reality.”

"I understand. Your words are clear, and I appreciate your information," Alicia said, her voice expressing gratitude, although her expression remained stoic. "Is there anything else?"

“None.”

“Since there is nothing more to say, I will be going to the other reality, to the boundary,” Alicia said, gently removing her hands that were still assaulting Vanessa’s hair.

Vanessa raised her head, looking at Alicia at a strange angle. "Good luck!"

Erwin said, “Then, I will meet you there too.” 

Alicia closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She wasn’t familiar with how it worked; she didn’t even know if it would work on the first try, but she commanded her Augment, reminiscent of her actions in Last Ark, as it drew parallel to the Last Ark and Yggdrasil.

‘Decrease my living property by 10%’ Alicia commanded.

Before long Alicia disappeared. 

 

The indescribable, distorting sounds filled her ears, making her increasingly uncomfortable. As she opened her eyes, she found herself standing in an endless expanse of water, stretching beyond the horizon. As her gaze wandered, she noticed several seekers engaged in combat with each other, while others cheered them on.

Above was without a sky, darkness filled the void, but in the distance, an ethereal flare resembling an aurora glowed dimly. The horizon stretched endlessly, yet despite the thousands of Seekers in the vicinity, the impression of emptiness remained.

Unlike the previous reality, the Boundary was humid, an uncomfortable membrane that seemed to cling to her skin. Desperate to rid herself of the sensation, Alicia attempted to touch her skin to remove it, but the membrane stubbornly persisted. Frustrated, she commanded her augments to disable her sense of touch.

However, before the command went through, Alicia felt the water seep through her boots, reaching her knees. She quickly checked her body for any abnormalities and noticed unexpected alterations in her avatar.

Alicia gazed at her translucent hand, seeing through her avatar. Her once-red hair from the physical world had turned black. Upon closer inspection, she noticed the dryness of her skin, and cracks formed across. Not only that, her body was glowing dimly. Curious about what she had become, Alicia turned her eyes upon the waters, only to be met with endless darkness.

With a heavy heart, Alicia lifted her head, and suddenly, a veil obscured her vision. ‘Oh, my hat is back,’ Alicia thought to herself.

Among the abnormalities she had experienced so far, there was one thing that bothered her the most.

'I cannot feel A-cells... No... It is as if my body doesn't exist,' Alicia thought.

The Augment didn't seem to respond to her commands. The discomfort from the membrane clinging to her body persisted, and as she tried to move, she noticed her movements were sluggish compared to usual.

Suddenly, Alicia noticed the space in front of her was distorting, creating a bubble within, and the light seemed to move around the figure.

Before she knew it, the figure took the form of Erwin before her. Alicia watched as he immediately bowed before the Divine's presence.

He noticed the Divine's new appearance in the Boundary. Her once straight red hair had shifted to a dark, airy black. Furthermore, as he was close enough, he peered through the veil and noticed her eyes, now devoid of pupils. Despite his growing curiosity, he decided not to comment on the sudden change.

After all, not only had Alicia's appearance changed, but Erwin's had transformed as well. His once blonde hair had turned a deep shade of black, and his pupils now glowed with a dark purple. However, the most noticeable change was in his wings. Once lush with blue feathers, they now appeared translucent and devoid of any pigment. 

“You have changed…” Alicia remarked.

“Yes, most Seekers' appearance in the Boundary changes. But that aside, I am glad your Divineness has succeeded," Erwin responded.

"That seems to be the case," Alicia remarked with a furrowed brow.

Erwin smiled, "Are you perhaps feeling discomfort?"

Alicia nodded, "Quite so. Why is that?"

“We currently don’t know why, but the verification team surveying the boundary believes that this discomforting feeling is a protective mechanism. Another theory is that, with our diminished connection to the living, we are more sensitive to bodily sensations within the Boundary.”

"What about the A-cells? It seems they're not functioning properly."

"We're still unsure about the reason. It could be because we currently don't have a physical form, so the A-cells in our body don't seem to be present. However, our Conscious Augment still works properly. If you dislike this feeling, you can return to the medium and disable your senses from there. The discomfort should not persist when you return to the boundary."

“This is quite an interesting world,” Alicia remarked with a smile.

Suddenly, just before Erwin's face, the space distorted and formed into the Qliphoth bell that Alicia had left behind. Alicia managed to catch it mid-air before it fell into the waters.

"Oh, that's convenient," commented Alicia.

"Convenient... ah! Is it because you're going to duel with Commander Gavela?" Erwin inquired.

"Yes, has she released any information about her avatar? Such as abilities, weapons, or race?"

Erwin's expression darkened as he replied, "I apologize, Commander Gavela has not uploaded any information about her avatar and has yet to showcase her abilities."

“Fret not. I was not expecting anything, considering her.”

"However, she appears to be wielding a rapier as her weapon, but we lack information about that weapon; the default appearance is overridden with the in-game cosmetics."

"Aside from her, I would appreciate a detailed briefing on my abilities," Alicia asserted.

“What are they?”

“Allies of Fire, A fiery blood, remnant’s possession, and synonymous radiance.”

Erwin paused, his fingers resting thoughtfully on his chin before responding, "Let's begin with Allies of Fire; it’s relatively straightforward. This ability allows you to summon fire at will, but there are moments when it may not obey your command or fails to appear, something like this."

As he extended his hand, a sphere of glowing, liquid-like metal with a red hue materialized above his palm seemingly out of thin air.

"I possess an ability called Plandeer, which essentially summons a corrosive poison," Erwin asserted.

Alicia nodded, “Go on.”

Upon hearing her words, Erwin continued, returning his fingers to his chin. "The fiery blood ability is still unknown to us, as only Vanessa and your Divineness possess it. You can perhaps inquire her about it. As for synonymous radiance, it's an ability that causes your avatar to glow, much like it's doing right now."

Erwin pointed her fingers at Alicia. Despite it being a potentially rude gesture, the informality of Alicia's statement and the relaxed atmosphere between them made it seem more acceptable. It was especially noticeable when Erwin addressed Vanessa by name without a title.

Noticing his lack of etiquette, Alicia refrained from addressing the issue and instead looked at her own hands. "My body is glowing?" she pondered aloud.

"Yes, it has been reported that some Seekers in the Boundary are said to glow naturally, although the descriptions vary. What about you?"

“What remained is the radiance they once had, without the proper flow of the Phoenix Blood in their veins. Their emotions light their bodies uncontrollably.” Alicia read out the description of her ability through memory.

Erwin nodded. "So Synonymous Radiance is the name of your ability. Vanessa has one too, but only her true form glows in the dark environment, it's called Last Hope Radiance. Your avatar has only glowed in the boundary, indicating that your Synonymous Radiance might be limited to the Boundary. There are other abilities similar to it, like Radiance, Lighting, and Glowing. I can provide you with more information if you need it."

"I have no need for that. Continue explaining," Alicia said, brushing her hands.

 

"Alright," Erwin agrees, "Now, for the most complicated part: the Remnant possession. The other Remnant seekers reported that it is similar to the regular possession ability displayed by ghost-like races. They suggest that you can activate it by commanding your augment to target someone and attempt to enter their mind." Erwin explains.

"I see."

"There is someone who can teach you how to use the Remnant possession ability. Should I call them?"

"Do so," Alicia replied.

After receiving her confirmation, Erwin briefly paused as if to communicate with the person. Moments later, he announced, "I have contacted them, they should be coming to Vanessa's location in the medium."

Alicia declared, "Then, we should go back to the medium." 

However, before she could use her ability, Erwin interrupted her, saying, "Wait! Wait! I have something else to say."

“What is?”

"W-well, you see. Your ability is called an interreality form, right?" Erwin questioned, his hands making random gestures as he spoke.

“That is correct, what about it?”

"The Interreality Form ability is a unique racial trait that enables us to traverse different realities, including the Boundary. Unlike other abilities that can manipulate living properties, we are capable of selecting the level of reality we desire. By decreasing our living properties by 10%, we can manifest at the Boundary, and with full living properties, we materialize in the Medium. However, what if there exists an in-between state? Is it possible for us to exist in this middle ground?" Erwin exclaims excitement filling his voice.

“What do you mean exactly?”

“Your Divininess, command your augment to increase the living properties by 2% and you will witness it.

It?

Alicia followed his instructions, commanding her augment to increase her living properties. She felt her body growing heavy, and soon the space around her distorted. Before she realized it, she found herself in the Medium.

The scenery of the Boundary's reality had vanished, yet she still felt tethered to it. As she surveyed the Medium, it appeared hauntingly empty, devoid of any presence except for the familiar Seekers she had seen in the boundary.

‘Vanessa is not here.’ Alicia thought.

Taken aback, Alicia turned to Erwin, silently pressuring him to explain. 

"Judging by your reaction, it looks like you've successfully entered the Phantasm," Erwin observed.

“Phantasm?”

"The space you are currently in is known as the Phantasm, existing between two realities. Since you initially entered from the boundary, you cannot be touched from the boundary, but are susceptible to interaction from entities within the Medium. Additionally, you remain visible and audible in both realities.”

"What about the explanation that I can only see the Seekers on the Boundary?" Alicia frowned. "It's odd to see the people of the Boundary but not be able to touch them. Conversely, on the other side, they can't be seen but can be touched."

"That's precisely how it functions," Erwin explains. "You are unable to see the other side but can still interact with them. However, you can freely pass objects."

"I see," Alicia said as she walked towards the weapon racks, seemingly passing through the physical objects as if she were a spirit. "This is quite incredible, but also terribly confusing."

"Adjusting to this concept may take some time. Oh, and I also would like to mention that if you initiated Phantasm from the Medium. The concept is the same but the opposite."

As she listened intently, she was suddenly enveloped in an embrace from behind. When she turned around, she couldn't see anyone there.

"What? Who?" Alicia glared at the invisible entity behind her, confused.

"Oh, it seems that Vanessa hugged your avatar in the medium," Erwin remarked with a smile.

After hearing that, her eyes returned to normal. "I see. Thanks for sharing this information; I'll make good use of it," Alicia replied. "Do you have anything else to share?"

“None, your Divineness.”

“Then I will go back to the medium.”

 

Thanks for reading. Aldo, Patreon.

5