Intermezzo 2 | Vanessa’s Friends
30 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Intermezzo 2

Vanessa 

Yggdrasil time [22:18]

Outer Regions | Arena testing 01 of Major Intersection Promus Base | LP 05 Anchor | 

 

"I wonder," said Vanessa, her chin supported by her hands as she faced front with an empty expression.

Vanessa's gaze was fixed on the main stage of arena 1, rising from the earthly ground. The massive stone platform stretched 32 meters in length and 24 meters in width, with flickering fireballs hovering at each of the four corners, illuminating the entire area. Surrounding the main stage from below were several other platforms, now empty due to the current event.

On the opposite corners of the stage, two groups of people prepared themselves. Alice stood with the Crimson Code while Bella was being prepared by her squad, the Blood Eboneers. Numerous orbs of light floated around, casting a soft glow over the stage.

Arena 1 was shaped like a rectangle, with two wooden walls running along its longer sides, with a platform at the top. At one of the open ends of the arena, the weapons racks were placed orderly, and on the opposite side, an eatery with primitive chairs and tables, all situated on wooden platforms.

Many people filled the vacant areas, even in Vanessa’s current sitting - the top of a high platform was slowly being filled with people. At the other side of the table was Remy, and just like her, Vanessa had similar clothing, standard imperial uniform, pale blue suit, and black slick pants. 

Remy addressed her in a casual tone, “What worries you, Princess?”

The table setting appeared to be quite ordinary, a long and wide rectangular table with four chairs on each side. The only deviation from this mundane scene was a lush plant sprouting from a wooden pot, occupying the center of the table.

Vanessa let out a long, thoughtful hum and slid her eyes to Remy. “You mentioned that you were batchmates with my sister in school, right?”

“Yeah?”

"Bella told me that she and my sister were not only classmates but also good friends. She also mentioned that they had competed against each other multiple times, so it would make sense if you had witness them fighting before. Who do you think will win this upcoming match?" Vanessa questioned.

Remy chuckled dryly before replying, “I’m not entirely certain, given that this is a simulated world and their forms differ from reality, but in most cases, Divineness tends to win against Commander Gavela.”

“Really?” Vanessa doubted.

“Really.” Remy repeated, "if you still doubt me, you can check the Data files in the Mind Networking later. While Milthojan University doesn’t have enough authority to bypass 41-RC law to bypass public use, private-wise, yeah."

“I’ll check it later when I have time, that is.” Vanessa stated. ”However, Her Grace usually ends up on the losing side against Hernese. That being said, it’s been three or four months since their last bout, and I haven’t seen them compete since”

"Well, Hernese is… Hernese," Remy explained, searching for the right words. "It's hard to put into words, but it would make sense for the Divineness to lose in official matches. However, in a deathmatch, I'm confident Divineness would be the last to stand."

“Really?”

“Yes. really.”

“Hmmm.” Vanessa’s hum laced a doubtful tone.

Remy explained, “The Phoenix constitution allows them to constantly regenerate A-cells, and they never get exhausted nor hungry. In response, the Divineness style is to prolong the match, exhaust her opponents, wearing their bodies until they can no longer fight.”

“The same as I do?” Vanessa asked, her head tilting to the side with curiosity.

“Yes, similar to your style. However, with Hernese, she’s highly aggressive and takes risks, relentlessly attacking even if it costs her own head. You also lose whenever you face Hernese, yes?”

“Ah, that makes sense. Now that you said that, yeah.” Vanessa said, nodding her head. “But do you have any strats to beat  Hernese?“

“Any fair fight against Hernese is guaranteed to be lost,” Remy said, dread filled her eyes.

Vanessa stammered as she saw Remy’s expression. “O-oh, I see.”

While they were engrossed in a conversation, a familiar male voice suddenly echoed from behind, causing them to instinctively turn around. “Hey! There you guys are!” His booming voice ripped through the bustling noise, instantly grabbing their attention.

They were met by the sight of an elderly man with an imposing large figure. He wore an eye patch over one eye, and was dressed in an primitive-ancient aristocratic suit that seemed to lack any identifiable cultural heritage from the Aetherian Empire. His collar was unnecessarily long, the suit looked heavy, and his white hair was swirled. He wore slick jeans and high boots, and the cuffs of suit looked tight. 

“Blitzwanker!” Vanessa exclaimed, raising her head and giving a wave.

“Your Majesty, please, call me Blitz” Pleaded Blitzwanker, his face turning red.

“Haha! I like your name, its’ stupidly funny.” Vanessa continued as Blitzwanker carried his body and sat at the chair beside Remy.

 Remy looked at him with an odd gaze. “Major Blitz, I thought you were with Captain Ressavi?”

“Captain Ressavi? She went to report to General Escobar, but she should be back soon,” Blitzwanker answered.

“Wait, the army Spearhead is here?”  Remy exclaimed in surprise. “Then, what’s going to happen in Anchor LP 44?”

“Actually both Spearhead and Bastion have returned, since we will enter phase 3 by tomorrow,” Vanessa nonchalantly stated, “The forces here are gonna get transferred further south, toward the current frontline.”

“Oh, I understand now. No wonder we had to bring extra airships this time around,” Remy nodded, and realized something. “Wait,  you’re leaking information again, is that fine?”

“Yep. It’s fine. Shin commanded the Moonfollowers to announce it, in about 10 minutes-ish in the announcement thread?”

“Shocks, going back here seems like a terrible idea,” Remy sighed heavily. “I just arrived after the humiliating death, and now I have to go back?”

“Well, you’re the one who died from the Eingre monster, so you can fault yourself,” Vanessa said with a chuckle, “But, it’s perfect timing since we found my sister here. You guys will escort Her Grace to the Labyrinth Entrance, or to the Fort. Aren’t you happy?”

“Oh, absolutely! Your Majesty,” Blitzwanker saluted.

“‘You guys’?” Remy repeated, raising an eyebrow “You’re not coming with us?”

“Nope. I’m gonna stay here a bit longer. I’ll probably return in the last batch with Bella.” Vanessa said.

“But, you're part of the control team though…” Remy muttered.

Without warning, a distortion materialized behind Vanessa, the light wrapping around as it formed into a figure. In an instant, it took the shape of a female figure, emerging from thin air and silently approaching Vanessa from behind. She signaled to Remy and Blitzwanker to stay silent with a pale finger pressed to her blue lips.

The mysterious figure reached out and lightly touched Vanessa’s side. Vanessa lets out a silent shriek as the figure whispers in her ear, “BOO!”

“HYIK!”

Startled, Vanessa’s heart leapt in her chest as she spun around to discover the source of the surprise. There stood Ressavi, a mischievous grin spreading across her face.

Ressavi was sporting a black tight pants and a long white sleeve shirt, similar to a standard imperial uniform but without a suit. She had a leather chest belt wrapped around her shoulder, supporting a long sword  hanging from behind. Several glowing vials attached to her belts, lined above her ample chest.

“Ressavi! Can’t you not do that!” Vanessa exclaimed, her voice a mixture of relief and exasperation, as she placed a hand over her racing heart.

Ressavi responded with a grin, “My bad, my bad. I just can’t get enough of spooking people from the Boundary.”

Vanessa ignored Ressavi’s excuses and hurriedly looked at the stage, checking to see if it had been disturbed by her somewhat loud shriek. Fortunately, no one aside from her surroundings had been disturbed. 

Casually, Ressavi sat next to Vanessa as she talked, “Did I miss anything?”

“The match between the Divine and Commander Gavela is about to start. You would have missed it if you had delayed any further,” Remy informed.

“Oh? So The Student President and Vice-President are at it again?” Ressavi remarked with a mused smile.

“Eh?” Mutters Vanessa in confusion. 

“That certainly seems to be the case,” Remy confirmed with a nod.

“Were you friends with my sister?” Vanessa questioned, a hint of confusion in her voice.

“No, not at all. I’m just acquainted with her. Actually, I’m the leader of the Arkth Runic Templates club, so we met often because of my position. Though, during the Nimerian war, I ended up working under her.” Ressavi explained.

"Oh," Vanessa's voice softened as realization dawned on her, "It's strange. Why is it that most of the people I know have either interacted with my sister or have some kind of connection with her, yet I've never heard about it?"

“Hmm,” Remy pondered for a moment before continuing, “Hey,  remember Vivy?”

“Yeah, What about her?” Vanessa tilted her head.

“She’s the one who formed the group, right?” Ressavi wondered.

“Yep, HoloHoloVV,” Vanessa nodded in agreement. 

“Most of the members, particularly the older ones like me, are actually classmates with Vivy. That’s why we have these connections that you didn’t know about,” Remy revealed, chuckling. “Vivy invited us in the group after we finished our Military service. Ressavi is also my classmate, and she got invited. But I heard you rejected her,” Remy glanced at Ressavi.

“Yeah, I did,” Ressavi commented, “I was quite busy at that time.” 

“Ohhh, I had no idea,” Vanessa uttered, her eyes widening with surprise as the news sank in.

As words registered in her mind, a loud shout echoed throughout Arena 1. Making the group's attention turn towards it.

“ARE YOU READY!?!?”

Suddenly, deafening screams reverberated through Arena 1, igniting the crowd into a frenzy of excitement. All eyes turned to Erwin, who stood at the center of the main platform, his hand held aloft. The crowd's enthusiasm reached a fever pitch as they chanted "brother Erwin" and various other nicknames that echoed across the arena.

Remy looked at him with a blank expression, in contrast to the excited crowd. "Since when did he become an announcer?”

“The man gets around,” Blitzwanker chuckled. 

Vanessa burst into laughter, remarking, “He still has that stupid-ass let's play voice.”

Suddenly, a holographic window materialized in front of Vanessa, displaying a communication request from Bella. Without any hesitation, Vanessa promptly accepted the request while wondering with curiosity why Bella called her.

(Good, you accepted it up.) Bella’s voice echoed in Vanessa’s mind.

(Sup? But why’d you call me for? Want some motivational speech before the match?) Vanessa replied. 

(No thanks,) Bella immediately turned down the offer. (Instead, will you help me convince the Divineness to agree to something?)

(Agree to something?) Vanessa repeated, her curiosity piqued. (What is it?)

(You want the Divineness to stream, correct? Unfortunately, due to her privilege as a Royal Class, 41-RC will protect her privacy,  it would hurt her follower count. I need your help to persuade Alice to lift this status.)

(But… Well, I’m not so sure about that? Rather, I just want people to interact more with Her Grace.) Vanessa said, pondering.

(Exactly! If the Divineness’ 41-RC status remains unchanged, only nobles and royals can watch her streams. We have to make her protection lifted to give her more exposure to a wider audience, so that Star and First class can follow and watch her streams.) Bella reasoned.

(Hmm, that is true. I’ll discuss it with her, but don’t put too much hope on it.)

 

I have an unfortunate news.

 

I won't be able to upload weekly anymore, since I will be quite busy than before, but it will not be hiatus.

4