Chapter 2 – Troublemaker
5.1k 32 143
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside the castle, Parthorn, the leader of the 3rd branch, was sitting in a fancy, luxurious conference room. He was around 180 centimeters tall with short, vanilla-colored hair and blue eyes. He wore a simple, black overall, tightly fitting to his lean body, lacking any regal pompousness or accessories. He looked like he was in his twenties but close to sixty. He was the head of the 3rd branch for the past 30 years, trying hard to raise themselves back to first place. They lost the prestigious title when his father died, alongside a handful of his supporters in a gruesome battle against the undead. He could not keep up with the emerging genius of Reyra later on and had to concede the leading position of the House of Amarin. 

Sitting at the long table, accompanied by the castle’s maids, he remembered the first time he lost against Reyra. He was already past 30, and she was barely a teenager. Yet she wiped the floor with him. It was a one-sided victory. It was not a humiliation only because a prodigy like her in the family was a boon for everybody. Even if his branch was relegated to the third position as the years passed. Remembering it made him slowly tap on the table with his index finger, forming a small smile. This move of his still frightened the young maids in the room as they thought he was getting angry and impatient. 

He was a bit impatient, that was true. But he wouldn’t bring it up. Being the leader of the 1st branch, Reyra held the position of the utmost importance. If she decided to make others wait, then they HAD to wait. Just as he was waiting for the past few decades. He knew that he had reached his own limit. Now his attention was focused on his sons and their talent. If he wanted to retake the title of 1st, they had to do it. He wasn’t even considering the current 2nd branch. They were not his target, as he could still remember what it felt like to be the head of the family.

“History goes in a circle….” He murmured, suddenly remembering the tales from his own father.

The current 2nd branch of the House of Amarin was the 1st before his line rose to the position. The family’s leader back then was someone who was close to wielding light and darkness at the same time. He had already mastered the two opposing elements. He only had to find a way to simultaneously cast them without canceling each other out. Yet fate had a different idea about it, and he withered away in only a week. Nobody knew why, but his last words were telling; ‘I have failed… forgive me.’ Nobody knows the true reason for his death, but everyone knows it happened because he suffered a backlash from his attempt to synchronize two opposing elements inside himself. What followed after was the slow decline of their branch and Parthorn’s rise to prominence. 

“They do.” Reyra’s voice suddenly arrived, bringing him back from reminiscing. “The branches circle around like the seasons. They come and go. There will be a day when your descendants will hold the 1st branch’s position again.” She said in a calm voice. “But for now, you have no chance to regain your old glory, Parthorn.”

“Nobody can tell that for sure.” He smiled, looking at her.

“I can.” She smiled back with confidence and power, yet she was sitting on her husband’s arm like a little parrot. It was still weird to see it, no matter how many times he did. Parthorn couldn’t help but chuckle a little as he sat up properly in his chair. Seeing the bulky, giant husband of hers standing there proudly, his hand held to his body, and the little Reyra sitting on it like sitting on a bench… it was like a play performed by a traveling circus. 

“It is not only you who could raise talent,” Parthorn said, watching her blue eyes that were smiling proudly.

“I won’t argue with that!” She flashed her white teeth at him. “But for now, my body sprouted some amazing kids!” She laughed, patting her belly, making the maids standing in the room lower their heads with a deep, crimson blush enveloping them. “I had chosen my hubby well!” She added, patting Kawu’s arm to put her down on the head of the table. Her chair was already prepared with pillows on it so she could easily reach the top of the table. 

“Your mouth is the same as always….” Parthorn murmured, watching her and Kawu, who stood behind his wife’s chair.

As the husband of Reyra, he could sit at the table, but… he was neither part of the Amarin bloodline nor a native to their territory. He wasn’t even human. He was a beast folk. A mighty bear, to be exact. The fact that Reyra married someone from the outside was already a shock in itself, but to marry someone from the beasts’ side? Was a risk in itself. It was not rare that humans and beast folk found love, but it was rare to sire descendants. Especially rare. Yet Reyra managed to do it and not just once. Even more, Her children all showed exceptional talent, completely retaining their human lineage. It seemed her genes were just as dominant as her personality.

“What?” Reyra asked, seeing Parthorn’s eyes wander towards Kawu, who just nodded at him, remaining silent. He knew the tradition, and he knew his place well before marrying into one of the Six Houses. He was willing to put up with everything as he was loyal to only one person; His wife. As long as she was happy, everything else was secondary.

“Nothing.” Parthorn shook his head. “Kawu, please. Sit.” He gestured with his hand, but the giant of a man shook his head.

“I’m good, thank you.”

“You know why I am here,” Parthorn said with a shrug after his answer, turning his eyes towards Reyra. 

“Your scepter is going to be brought back by my daughter. Don’t worry about it.” Reyra waved her hand quickly. “If there is nothing else, then-”

“She stole it.” He continued, crossing his arms before his chest.

“And what that shows about your branch’s capabilities? Hm?” Reyra countered, with a slight grin creeping up onto her face.

“That your girl paid off my good-for-nothing granddaughter, Koadriana.” Parthorn leaned forward, crossed his fingers, and rested his chin on them. “I already confiscated the goods she used for the bribe.” He nodded toward the lonely box placed in the middle of the table. “Lia traded these for her help in lifting my scepter. It can only be touched and unlocked by one of my own kin. Koadriana has already been locked up by me.”

Kawu came forward, picking up the box and bringing it before his wife, who opened up just so her face would turn tomato red… then ghostly white… then back to red as she closed it hurriedly. Kawu tried to hold a stoic, uninterested face, but his eyes were barely kept from twitching. What Lia stole was a toy. A simple, little toy… of theirs. That they usually use it when having some fun inside their bedroom.

“Now…” Parthorn continued, showing the same smirk that he received from Reyra. “I don’t want this to go public. I think you neither. I don’t care what things you two use while having fun but don’t think I won’t let it be spread amongst the people if you do not punish that imp you call a daughter!”

“Oh, don’t worry….” Reyra mumbled, grinding her teeth, “She won’t be able to sit for the next week or so!”

“Not enough!” Parthorn raised his hands. “She needs discipline! A simple spanking or confinement to her room has no effect. Never had, as you can see! It didn’t have any on you when you were her age either!” He scoffed, leaning backward.

“I’m listening.” Reyra recomposed herself, giving the box to her husband, who just made it disappear under his sleeves. 

“Both Lia and Koa need to learn the rules. They are too young to be sent to the 4th for experience….”

“And one of her brothers is there… he would spoil her,” Reyra added, somewhat agreeing with Parthorn.

“That too.” He murmured, not really wanting to think about Solren, the third son of Reyra, who was now already a major in the 4th ‘branch.’ As it was their own military force, it was where most of their talented people gained experience against the undead in the House of Amarin. Lia’s brothers served there, rising through the ranks before returning to the family. Sooner or later, Lia would also experience it but not yet. She was still too young for that.

“But…” Kawu added. “Solren may stay with the 4th. He already said he likes it there and aims to set a new record in the number of slain undead creatures. So when Lia comes to age and goes to gain experience, he may still be there.” It was clearly evident that Kawu was incredibly proud of his son and just wanted to brag about him to Parthorn. Mainly because his son was still not even a captain, only a first lieutenant, not to mention being a major.

“At least Lia would be more mature by then!” Parthorn scratched his throat, stepping over Kawu’s words. “What I am suggesting is very simple! Send them to the Academy!”

There were many academies, too many to even count. But when it was mentioned, everyone knew which one Parthorn was talking about. The only institution in the Realm to be recognized by that word alone. Its real name was the Institute of Eight Elements. But everyone just called it The Academy. It was established after the end of the Dark Ages by The Six Houses. It was to nurture the most talented people of the Realm and make sure nobody forgets what happened throughout those dark years. To ensure some people are always ready to prevent it from happening again.

Getting into it was a feat in itself. It was not money nor power but the sheer talent needed to join in as a student that made it hard. Anyone enrolled in the Academy was trained by the best, and they were producing the best. To make it possible, they also needed the best young talents. Nothing less was acceptable. Of course, there were always young geniuses who, in the end, failed. Flunked out or got themselves expelled. There were very few things as shameful of achievement as those. Especially because The Academy was free. If you get in, you get guidance from the top figures of the Realm for free, yet you still fail? It was not something one could explain. Not when the Academy is jointly backed by the Six Houses, financing its spending. 

“Hmmm…” Reyra thought for herself, scratching her chin. “Rarely do ours attend the Academy…” She murmured as the Houses usually taught their own, and if anything, they supplied teachers instead of students. Lia’s second brother was also a teacher at the Academy. His name was Lauron, and when he picked up a teaching position in the Academy, Reyra and Kawu were the most surprised. He was a restless boy, barely managing to stay in one place for long… but now he has been teaching there for the past 9 years. A feat none of them thought possible. “He wouldn’t spoil her too much… I think…” Reyra thought to herself before looking into Parthorn’s eyes. 

“It would be a good experience for the two.” He said, reading her thoughts. “As there are multiple people there from the Six Houses. They would have the authority to curb her wild side.”

“Hmf, I am going to curb your curved blade between your legs soon enough!” Reyra scoffed, but Parthorn just shook his head. “Anyway… I see the points you are trying to make… and agree with its merits. We can send the two there!” she nodded after exchanging a glance with her husband, who also agreed with a quick nod. 

“Good. The new semester starts in a month! We should send the two together.” Parthen exclaimed, standing up and dusting his hands. “I am going back home to make preparations. Send my scepter back as soon as possible.” 

“Will do,” Reyra said, not keeping him from leaving. After the two were left alone in the room, Reyra’s forehead banged against the table like a hammer. “That little…! I am sooooo going to skin her buttocks!”

“There, there!” Kawu rubbed her head with a smile.

“Why are you so calm?! You were the angriest at the start!” She raised her head which was turning red as she pouted like a kid. 

“Because now we reached a resolution, and she is going to learn how to act properly in the Academy!” Kawu chuckled, hoisting his wife up, and letting her sit on his arm once again.

“Or she is going to be the first member of one of the Six Houses to be expelled!” Reyra groaned, almost making her husband kick his leg out while walking forward.

“She… wouldn’t… Um…” Kawu said, looking at Reyra, who just shrugged once again.

“She is my blood… the chance for it is pretty high, my big papa bear!” She moaned, rubbing her face against his bearded, dumbfounded expression, showering Kawu with kisses and purring like a cat.

143