Weakness (1)
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Only the spearmen keep guard here, everyone else, TO THE PLAZA!”, the Chief orders his warriors. “DO NOT LET THIS VILLAGE SUCCUMB TO THOSE BASTARDS!”.

The masses storm onto the plaza with battle roars when a barrage of arrows rains down on them, originating behind the burning baricades. Some fall, but most keep pushing without looking back. The spearmen’s furry leads some of them to charge through the burning buildings to hunt down the archers. Screams of pain and despair echo through the plaza as the weak are slaughtered by the bandits, and the hundreds of villagers respond to them with even louder battle roars, catching their enemy’s attention. In an instant, the plaza turns into a bloodred battlefield where one can’t move a few meters without running into a life-or-death battle, and right admist the masses are Marc, Kaze, and Lark fighting against single bandit carrying a sword.

Lark charges the enemy and clashes his swords with his. A swing from the right. A downwards strike. ‘DAMN!’. A thrust is heading straight for his guts when Marc tackles he enemy from the side. The enemy readies for a strike. Thud. Kaze’s arrow hits his leg, and he drops to on his knees. Lark charges into for a finishing strike while his guard is droped. Clang. His sword drops to the ground as the corpse of a villager tackles him to the ground. He grabs it, and then lifts himself up. Looking around, his friends have disappeared in the sea of battles. He’s unsure whether the rusty smell of blood comes from his own face, or the countless corpses on the battlefield. ‘ELAINE!’, he remembers, and turns around frantically to find where he last saw her. ‘There it is!’. He runs towards her last location, but has to cross an entire battlefield in between. He slides. Jumps to the right. Slashes a bandit from behind. In a mad charge, he somehow manages to pass the sharp chunks of metal flying around unscathed until the battle’s thin out. There, he can’t stay undetected. He watches as a spearman skewers two men carrying swords. The enemy turns around, and chooses him as his next target. Being at the edge of the plaza, there are no battle’s he could disappear in, so he decides to face him head on.

Clang. Clang. Clang. Marc violently strikes the enemies shield over and over with the sword he picked up from a corpse. The bandit can only defend, not carrying any weapon. While he buckles under the pressure, another villager decapitates him from behind.

“Thanks!”. Marc gives him a smile that is return by a blood splatter as a blade drives out through his nose. He slowly backs away from the enemy as he stares him down.

Clang. The soldier blocks Kaze’s arrow with his shield. The tall, sturdily built man’s presence makes the two of them yield, when yet another villager charges him with a spear from the side. Clang. Slash. Thud. The enemy turns their way again, and charges.

“MOVE!”. The chief pushes him out of the way, and blocks the soldiers strike. “Get the people to draw back! We don’t stand a chance, so at least get the young ones out of here!”

“What are you talking about?!”, Marc complains, but as he analyzes the battlefield, he realizes the state they’re in. A lot of corpses everywhere, but most of them their own. The red and silver cloth the bandits wear can barely be found on the ground. “Alright.”. He grabs Kaze and sprints towards the middle of the plaza. As the fights have spread out through the village, it’s easier to pass than before.

“DIE!”. A soldier charges him from the right. He brings his blade down, but his strike grows dull as his arm drops to the ground.

“Your fault for looking away!”, the villager yells at him.

The two continue their way, grateful, but unable to thank him. They’ve got better things to do right now.

Clang. Slash. Clang. Lark gives it his all, but he can barely block the spearmens thrusts, let alone counter his strikes. He’s slowly cut up as the tip scathes his legs and torso on the sides. ‘SHIT! I CAN’T EVEN COMPLETELY BLOCK HIS ATTACKS! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PROTECT ANYONE WHEN I CANT EVEN PROTECT MYSELF!’. But he doesn’t give into despair. Instead, it appears as if his strikes become more furious each time, moving the spear to the side more and more. ‘I WON’T LET YOU KILL ME HERE!’. Clang! Clang! Clang! Lark has stopped moving backwards, and pushes into his enemy’s direction now. The spearman thrusts and thrusts, but to no success. He draws his spear back as the violent strikes draw closer, and soon is only able to block himself. Clang! Clang! The spear has become a shield. Lark swings grow larger and more violent. And then - they grow too large. The spearman sees his opportunity, and smashes the shaft into his face. Lark stumbles backwards, and the spearman readies his thrust.

Slash. “Die you bastard!”. Elaine pushes her blade right through his chest from behind, and pulls it out with a twist. Thud.

Lark is in shock, a tear rolls down his face. She stretches out her hand. “That was impressive, but you know, you should really watch out more.”. Lark accepts her hand, and she pulls him up.

“I came here to help you, and now you have to come to my rescue. I’m pathetic.”. He grits his teeth.

Elaine grabe his face with her hands, and pulls him closer. “Do you really think I could have defeated him without you? That guy killed multiple soldiers fighting together.” She smiles at him. “You’re not pathetic, you’re amazing.”

Lark puts on a forced smile, but can’t keep it for long.

“EVERYBODY LISTEN”. Marc’s voice travels from the top of the well in the centre throughout the entire plaza.

“Is that…?”

“Yeah.”. Lark sighs of relief.

“RETREAT TO THE GATE IMMEDIATELY! SAVE ALL THE CHILDREN YOU CAN AND AVOID BATTLE AT ALL COSTS!” Marc disappears in the crowd again.

“But what if they’re waiting behind the gates?! He said so himself earlier!”.

“It seems we have no choice. But at least we’re close to the gate.” Elaine looks at Lark. “Right?”

“It’s good enough for me to know you’re in the safest spot. But I can’t just let those children still hiding over there fall into their clutches just to save my own skin.”

Elaine breaks into tears. “Didn’t you say you didn’t plan on dying today?! This really sounds like planning to die to me!”

“Head for the gate. It seems all the enemies in that direction are dead. Hurry before the others arrive here!”. He takes off into the direction of the battlefield, or rather the main hideout for the children behind it.

“Those children there are probably all dead by now! At least go to the other hideout!”. Lark comes to a standstill. He remains unmoving for a few seconds.

“Damnit!”. He turns his left, and as he makes his way, he disappears into the crowd of men and women alike rushing towards the gate. 

0