95- Catching up
143 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

For the next two months, Han Lingyun concentrated on his cultivation and would continue to pick up Elder Wen’s problems. Even though they had a real use in the array field, when Han Lingyun was working on them, it felt more like a hobby than making an effort. He noticed that the problems Elder Wen introduced would mostly fall into 4 categories: functional equations, probabilities, recuring sequences and inequalities. After completing a problem, Han Lingyun implemented a new exercise to his routine. He would search for a way to use the result he found to improve the arrays he had created so far.

 

To Han Lingyun, it felt as though the days were racing past as he alternated between his relaxing cultivation sessions and his problem-solving interludes. He didn’t even perceive that his spirit was making huge strides during that period, with results comparable to consuming several spirit condensing pills.

Just like that, Han Lingyun made it to the mid qi condensation realm once again, nearly without noticing it.

 

It was at this juncture that Han Lingyun finally decided to leave his seclusion. To celebrate the occasion and after not seeing his friends for two months, he invited Shen Lin and Yang Haoyu to the Chiang’s Restaurant.

He could definitely afford to book a table at one of the most expensive restaurants at market road now. In fact, his Ps had started to accumulate and he didn’t feel the need to buy anything in particular. ‘Perhaps I should check out the thousand treasure pavilion or the Pill Pavilion to see if anything catches my fancy. And I also have 520 thousand low grade qi crystals on elder Wen’s card, equating to 52 high grade qi crystals, but it’s a lot less impressive said like this.’

The three had a great time just eating drinking and making small talk. They were really starting to settle into the world of cultivation by now and everyone had high hopes for their future.

 

“Does one of you two plan on entering a non-combatant profession?” Han Lingyun asked after putting down his chopsticks.

Shen Lin shook his head but Yang Haoyu was hesitant. The latter responded. “I am considering applying for the pill pavilion. The jobs there don’t sound too hard and I’m sick of those disciples in alchemy training walking around with their heads held high as if they are superior beings. I want to see how it truly is. And if this path suits me well, there could be huge benefits. But that would slow down my cultivation.”

Shen Lin encouraged him. “I think you should try it out, at least for one week if not a month, to see if you could become an alchemist. I’m sure you would have made your mind up by then and this won’t delay your cultivation by a significant amount. Personally, I already know that it wouldn’t correspond to my path.”

Yang Haoyu acquiesced. “Your probably right, brother Lin. I might just do as you say. What about you, brother Lingyun? You are entering the Array pavilion, right?”

“Actually, I was considering joining the ranks of apprentices at the Forging department.”

His two friends looked at him with wide eyes.

“I already know a lot about arrays and I want to explore a field with a close connection to it.”

 

After thinking for a moment, the two seemed to be satisfied with the short explanation. It was very reasonable after all. “There is a decent number of disciples wanting to join the forging hall I heard.” Shen Lin remarked.

“Not as much as the Pill Pavilion.”

“That’s because of the salary the disciples receive once they complete their training.”

“But it’s not that easy apparently.”

“The luckiest ones are those with a fire affinity. Both the alchemists and forging masters are trying to recruit them. By the way Shen Lin, are you sure that you don’t want to try those?”

“Pff do you see me doing this kind of stuff? I’m here made of brawn, not brains haha.”

 

The discussion continued until late at night after which the trio left the restaurant and parted ways. Han Lingyun headed straight away to the headquarters of the forging department to get more information on how to become an apprentice. The place was open 24 hours a day as cultivators didn’t require as much sleep as normal humans.

 

“A new class for novices will start at the half year point in three months’ time. It will be presented by one of the department’s masters, for a 6-month duration. More details are on this tablet. If you are interested, please sign in over there. At the end of the year, there will be an examination from another forging department master. Once you complete this course and pass an exam, some of our masters might give you the opportunity to apprentice yourself to them depending on your results.”

Han Lingyun nodded at the bored looking 5th year disciple. He picked up the tablet and read the conditions and specifics. These classes would be held once every other day for 2 to 4 hours. The classes included a short introduction to runes and their inscription, some theory on materials and a good half of practice.

The course definitely required some time but Han Lingyun still felt it was reasonable. Plus, he could just work on his other interests when the forging master covered things he already knew. He didn’t plan on searching for a new personal relationship with another Elder because he realized he had mostly lucked out with Elder Wen. It was hard to find such a helpful and genuine senior. Han Lingyun thus registered his name on the list for the forging class starting in 3 months’ time.

 

After taking care of this side of his plans, Han Lingyun came back to his cave where he settled down to look back at his goals.

‘All right, so I completed my first goal: to reach mid qi condensation again in 3 months. In fact, I’m even one month early on the objective, that’s great. Now my next goal is to achieve the complete 5 element spirit world. It would be nice to finish this one before the end of the year. I’ll try to incorporate completion grades to my list from now on too.

Goal 0: Survive.

Goal 1: Achieve a complete spirit world before the Foundation Establishment realm. (Completion 3/5- 60%)

Goal 2: Reach Foundation Establishment before the 4th year competition. (Completion 0%?)

Well, I’m not sure how to evaluate my completion on that one.

Goal 3: Get into the Black Rainbow Sect after my 6th year in the White Tiger School. (Completion 0%)

Goal 4: Before the end of the 4th year, construct arrays I can use while in combat and build a weapon tailored to my needs. (Completion 20%)

Goal 5: (Medium term) Research the laws guiding qi and runes. (Completion 1%)

Goal 6: (Long term) reach immortality and explore the universe freely.’ (Completion 0%)

 

Looking back, I think that this may be too many goals. I should probably focus on a maximum of three for now. I need to prioritize more. Plus, this should avoid me going in too many directions. The three more urgent are those.

Goal 0: Survive.

Goal 1: Achieve a complete spirit world before the Foundation Establishment realm. (Completion 3/5- 60%)

Goal 4: Before the end of the 4th year, construct arrays I can use while in combat and build a weapon tailored to my needs. (Completion 20%)

I’ll settle on them for now.

 

Before re-entering seclusion, Han Lingyun also wanted to check on Wang Yimo but she wasn’t in her cave with her whereabouts unknown. He guessed that her teacher should have brought her somewhere else to train or cultivate. Everyone was working hard on their progress after all.

 

Night had long fallen and now all his preparations had been made to enter seclusion and forget about the outside world.

Han Lingyun made his way back to his cultivation with the multiple defense formation he had put around it when he froze in place and his heart skipped a beat.

A black cloaked figure was silently standing just in front of the entrance.

With his excellent vision in the darkness acquired from his cultivation and the clear water, Han Lingyun was as comfortable seeing on a moonless night as a mortal on a bright day.

He could discern a faint smile that crept up on the intruder’s face. But Han Lingyun focused his eyes to discover the rest of the face was hidden under a veil of absolute darkness. This shouldn’t be possible!

Han Lingyun should be able to see even with the smallest amount of light. It was as if that small hood created a boundary between worlds, a smile for all to see while the impenetrable truth remained deeply hidden.

 

Getting a bad premonition, Han Lingyun violently shuddered as though his body had been plunged in a basin of freezing water. His mind raced as immense warning alarms were continuously ringing in his brain.

There was no light but the uninvited guest seemed to have an even darker shadow. A shadow that grew taller and taller in Han Lingyun’s eyes, a shadow that wanted to engulf him whole.

7