105- Recovery
243 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

            Han Lingyun woke up feeling groggy and disoriented but as he opened his eyes, he realized he was in a natural pool of hot water, his head resting on a rock. The water was so soothing and warm that he couldn’t help but close he eyes for a second and sink further into the pool. As he lay there, he became aware of an intense itching sensation all over his body.

He scratched at his arms and legs, trying to alleviate the discomfort, but the itching seemed to only get worse. It borrowed deep into his being.

Eventually, he couldn't take it anymore and stood up, deciding to step out of the pool.

 

A voice drifted to his ears amidst the steam. “I wouldn’t recommend going out, this pool is extremely beneficial to our bodies, reforging our bones in a short time.”

Only now did Han Lingyun remember that he was supposed to have his bones broken by this Senior Lu. He squinted his eyes but couldn’t see through the fog. Han Lingyun decided to walk in the direction of the voice.

 

Another boy was sitting in a lotus position in the hot pool. Drops of water kept falling from his forehead. It was unknown if it was his own sweat or from the condensation.

Han Lingyun clasped his hands. “Thank you for the advice, brother Su. Do you know where we are?”

 

Su Xialu opened his eyes and beamed. “I do! It’s my second time here already. Well, we are somewhere underground…”

His smile became a bit forced. “I’m not too sure how to enter though. Senior Lu will come pick you up when you come out of the pool or when he judges you have stayed long enough. Don’t make the same mistake as me last time. I walked out to have a look around but was directly brought back to the surface by Senior Lu. At that time, my broken bones hadn’t completely recovered yet and I suffered quite a bit.

This pool is a great opportunity, it would be a true shame to miss it. This time, not only have I recovered completely, but I can also sense that my bones are sturdier than before, my skin and pores are further cleansed!”

 

Han Lingyun eyes shone. “Brother Su has a great heart, helping others not repeating his own mistakes.”

Su Xialu laughed. “What are you saying, brother Han? Come, let’s cultivate and take advantage of this natural wonder!”

 

Han Lingyun sat in a lotus position too, only his head remaining out of the water. The itching sensation remained but it now felt less unbearable. However, trying to fall into a state of absolute serenity seemed impossible. The tingling came in waves, accompanied by an intense desire to scratch all over.

Han Lingyun realized that if things remained like this, he would never be able to calm his mind sufficiently to be able to actively cultivate. He opened his eyes to observe how Su Xialu was faring only to discover him eyes open, looking back with a somewhat awkward expression. Han Lingyun wanted to laugh but kept it in.

 

In his usual self, Han Lingyun began analyzing the situation. His thoughts kept on being interrupted by the itching, but he gradually formed an initial idea.

‘If I want to cultivate, the solution could lay with this water. What sort of substance is it? If I can discover its properties. I think I would be able to find a way to fall in a cultivation state.

This water should be filled with some sort of qi, or it would be impossible to produce such miraculous effects. Looking at the rocky cavern, this pool doesn’t seem artificial.

Hence there is a high chance that the qi in here has characteristics of the 5 elements.’

A bolt passed through Han Lingyun’s pondering mind. ‘What Senior Lu demonstrated last time… With my comprehension of water, wood and fire, I should be able to exercise some control of qi belonging to these three types! It’s really shocking I haven’t learned of this before. I only knew the use of my comprehension when cultivating. I always thought it was only with martial arts that one could have this power.

But thinking about it, teacher Wen is a formation master, his understanding is only used to better construct and crack arrays. It’s not too surprising that he didn’t think of teaching me this. After all, all those disciples that attain my level of comprehension are virtually at the foundation establishment realm, they should have other dedicated elders to guide them on martial arts. As for Old Yi, either he assumed I already knew how to manipulate the elements, or the idea didn’t cross his mind.

However, I don’t think I can suddenly play with fire at the tips of my fingers with my comprehension. Or I could have stumbled upon this realization long ago. If this water indeed has qi made of the elements of water, fire or wood and I can control it for a short time, I could use this chance to slip into the cultivation state.’

 

The terrible itching suddenly interrupted Han Lingyun’s train of thoughts as he involuntarily contorted himself before forcibly stabilizing himself.

Han Lingyun did his utmost to calm his mind. ‘I should obviously start by the water element. Not to mention this is a pool of water, out of fire water and wood, I probably have the deepest understanding of water.’ Having made his mind, Han Lingyun started to try to circulate the black bird art to lose his emotions while visualizing the image of the water rune.

This simple image helped him condense all of his understanding and impressions of the water element, from the singularity of the atom, to the complexity of fluid dynamics.

Understanding the rules of the world to be able to play with them and in turn become its controller.

 

However, after a long time of utmost concentration, Han Lingyun was startled back because of the itching, with no accomplishments to his name. He hadn’t caused the slightest ripple in the pond. Han Lingyun was greatly disappointed but didn’t abandon are tried again with the wood element.

After water, Han Lingyun had the greatest confidence on the wood attribute having an effect with this strange water. His understanding of this element was the lowest out of the three, but wood was known, with water, for its healing properties. It seemed suitable for the pond.

 

Focusing his mind on the wood element, Han Lingyun sensed his veins and qi pathways branching all other his body, bringing the nutrients and qi from the environment to his every cell. Han Lingyun felt like his idea was very promising. However, the result wasn’t what he expected.

The intensity the itch immediately sky-rocketed, becoming unbearable. Han Lingyun let out a shout in pain and jumped in surprise.

 

Su Xialu was giving him a weird look. The itchiness was a real discomfort, but for a qi condensation cultivator, it wasn’t to the point of being painful enough to scream in agony.

Han Lingyun laughed out of embarrassment. “Sorry for disturbing you, brother Su. I was trying out different methods to fall into a cultivation state. Unexpectedly, this time, I felt a sudden pain.”

“You are able to have a reaction from the pool?”

“Indeed, I am trying to use my comprehension to alleviate the stinging sensation.”

Hearing those words, Su Xialu began pondering.

 

Seeing this, Han Lingyun focused back on his task. He was slightly excited by his discovery just now. Like Su Xialu pointed out, at least there was a reaction! It was a good start. Recollecting the short experience. It was as if the flow of whatever came from the pool to his body suddenly increased.

However, Han Lingyun didn’t dare to attempt the same experience right away. First of all, the pain he had felt was truly hard to describe, even if it was for a very short time. It even eclipsed his terrifying memories of the bone flower he had once eaten. Secondly, increasing the inflow wasn’t necessarily beneficial. Just like medicines, the quantity was often the differentiation with poison. Han Lingyun had the intuitive feeling that trying to increase the flow in bursts by using his understanding of wood could injure his qi passageways. It was too violent. And trying to control this flow wasn’t possible for the current Han Lingyun, his understanding was too shallow.

 

Therefore, Han Lingyun decided that it was wiser to first try out his fire comprehension.

‘It would be great if I could emulate Senior Lu and form a fire dancing at my fingertips. But let’s walk step by step and start by trying to increase the temperature a bit.’

 

For the third time, Han Lingyun did his utmost to concentrate on a rune. He willed his qi in close proximity to his body, wanting to agitate the surrounding molecules.

*Woosh*. A giant flame suddenly enveloped Han Lingyun and bellowed. In instants it spread in all directions, uninhibited by water.

 

Su Xialu, was shocked out of his contemplation and cried out, being assaulted by the heat. He immediately rushed in the distance. Looking back, the fire had stopped spreading but still furiously raged on the water of Han Lingyun’s general area.

Su Xialu looked blankly, not knowing what to do.

8