Episode 7: The messenger from Gaia (2)
59 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Things moved too fast. After a day of observation, I was discharged from the city's hospital. I had fainted from shock and wasn't really injured. My mom briefly visited me the first night but didn't say anything like my dad had.

 

Since then, they didn't visit me again, going back to our life of rarely ever meeting each other. They did keep me updated on some things though, like how they had found some dirt on the Willep Corp, the company that hired the kidnappers, and were taking things to court.

 

Even though I was discharged, I hadn't left the hospital yet. Laying down in front of me, no better than a corpse, Vera's only sign of being alive was his steady, faint breathing.

 

The ECG monitor beeped as his vitals constantly remained on the lowest end of the spectrum. 

 

I crossed my legs and grabbed my head. This goddamn bastard, just what was his problem? The doctors had checked him over and over, they had even invited a visiting specialist in the country to take a look, but no matter who checked him they all had the same opinion.

 

He shouldn't be in a coma. Especially not for this entire week that had passed

 

His injuries were not intense enough for this. No matter how many scans and MRIs they performed, they couldn't find any reason for his current state.

 

The door to the room opened and I turned back. With a visitor's badge hanging from her neck and her light pink hair tied up in a ponytail came in Rem. She immediately hugged me as she stepped inside the room.

 

"Elle! You alright?! It's been so longgg!"

 

"It hasn't even been a whole day!"

 

"We haven't talked for long!"

 

"We were texting just a minute ago!"

 

Rem stuck out her tongue and winked at me cutely, so I smacked her on the head. 

 

I was more grateful to Rem than I could express. I was lucky to have sent her my location before being kidnapped, she noticed my phone stuck at a place for too long and rushed over to the spot late at night, even calling the cops after finding it on the ground. 

 

Rem peeked over the bed at the sleeping Vera and sighed. 

 

"You should come to school," she said. "I understand the weirdo saved your life and everything, but waiting for him to wake up for an entire week like this is not the right thing to do."

 

"I'll come to school, soon..."

 

Rem sighed again and looked at me. "Are you that grateful? I know he's good-looking, but it's the same weirdo. Think about it, what kind of pizza was he delivering at a construction site, huh?"

 

"Tsk. The police have already looked into all of it, he more than checks out." Rem was skeptical for nothing. "And anyway, it's nothing emotional. I've barely exchanged 10 words with him in my life."

 

I wanted to help him back since he saved me, and staying next to him for the entire time was something only some crazed lover would do. My priority was something else.

 

Other than me, Vera was the only person who had seen that monster, and that guy who killed the monster. Two people can't have the same nightmare now, can they? I was sure with my father's account, something was fishy, and he was my ticket to confirming it.

 

"Fine, I get it. Then, I'll keep you company whenever I can."

 

I looked at Rem and smiled. As reluctant as she seemed, she couldn't avoid being a sweetheart. Rem stretched her hands and pulled out her phone.

 

"I did the thing you asked," she said. "It seems you might be on to something... or maybe not."

 

"What does that mean?"

 

Rem pulled up some photos on her phone and handed it to me. 

 

"The crime scene did have people stationed, but they weren't cops. They looked like a special force of sorts, all of em in black suits and everything."

 

She had taken multiple photographs of the construction site I was taken to. Multiple people in complete black suits and sunglasses covered every inch of the place. I thought that even intelligence forces had uniformed personnel handling these things. In the first place, why would an intelligence or special force involve themselves in this case?

 

"I asked them where they were from, but they shut me down saying it's not my business," Rem shrugged. "There's something more suspicious, though."

 

Her eyes became serious as she leaned closer to me. "One of our classmates lives rather close to the place... she said she heard the collapse early in the morning."

 

Early in the morning. I didn't remember the outside that well, but the darkness was clear in my mind. The whole incident was settled before the sun could rise, even Rem had called the cops rather quick. Something was off, very off. 

 

It was smart to stick close to Vera. I was being written off as a shocked patient, it wasn't rare for people to imagine monsters. But if these 'officers' had anything to do with monsters, they would most definitely come for Vera. 

 

Maybe...

 

Suddenly, Rem grabbed my shoulders and leaned even closer than before.

 

"Elle, something's fishy huh?"

 

I gulped. I wanted to tell her about the monster, but I was scared.

 

What if I was imagining things after all? I wasn't able to trust myself, so I stuck to Vera. How can I expect her to trust me?

 

"Dude, did you..." Rem closed in further, our eyes right in front of each other. "Kill those guys and then frame the building? Are you actually a magical girl?"

 

"What...?"

 

"It is so, right!"

 

"What gave me away? You are right, I am the magical girl Alphabet!"

 

"Pfft alphabet, that's the worst name you could come up with."

 

Rem laughed and I pulled her cheeks. I decided to take revenge for Alphabet the magical girl soon.

 

I played around with Rem until she had to leave. My days now consisted of only being at home to sleep and spending the rest of the time at the hospital.

 

Before I knew it, five more days passed.

 

And Vera's condition worsened further.

1