Swordsman Accompanying Demons
40 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tanjiro gets his slayer uniform, then puts his checkered Haori over it. 

Urokodaki comes in and kneels behind Tanjiro. "Have you gotten changed?" 

"Yes." Tanjiro responds as he turns around to show off his uniform.

" Tanjiro responds as he turns around to show off his uniform

Urokodaki nods. Next to him is a large box with straps on it, a large sun hat, a pair of pink gloves, and a katana in its sheath. 

In the next room a blanket slides up to the door and two pairs of pink eyes peer out. Sakura lays on top of Nezuko.

Nezuko and Sakura look at their elder brother in awe

Nezuko and Sakura look at their elder brother in awe.

Chapter 5: 
Swordsman Accompanying Demons

"Tanjiro..." Urokodaki starts. "Now that you're starting out with the Demon Slayer Corps, I'd like to explain a few things to you."

"Right." Tanjiro is kneeling in front of Urokodaki.

"That Demon Slayer Corps outfit you're wearing right now... It's made of a special kind of fiber. The fabric is quite breathable, yet it repels moisture and won't burn easily. A low-level demon's talons or fangs couldn't even manage to tear that uniform."

Tanjiro grabs his uniform and looks at it. "It's that strong?"

"Also, that Nichirin Sword of yours... The color varies from owner to owner, and each hue has a unique properties. But since not many people end up with black blades, little is known about them. So little, in fact, that--" He goes silent.

"So little is known that... What, Mr. Urokodaki?"

Urokodaki continues. "Since so little is known about them, black blades are said to be wielded by swordsmen who'll never go far."

Tanjiro just smiles at that statement. "I don't know how I'll do in the Demon Slayer Corps,-" He glances over at his sisters. "-but I'm going to turn Nezuko and Sakura back into humans no matter what."

"Yes, you're right. I have faith that you're going to make that happen."

"Right."

"A few more things." Urokodaki grabs the box and sets it in front of him. "Take this. It's a box for you to carry your sisters in during the day, and when Sakura gets tired. Built out of an extremely light wood called 'Cloud Mist Pine.' I coated it with a rock lacquer to reinforce its exterior and to make it even more durable."

"Thank you very much!" Tanjiro picks up the box. "It's so light! It's really light, Mr. Urokodaki!"

Tanjiro sets the box in front of his sisters and opens it up. "Nezuko! Sakura! Get inside this, will you? Can you do it?"

Sakura slides off Nezuko as her older sister moves around under the blanket for a few moments, before shrinking and getting in the box.

Sakura stays under the blanket, and Tanjiro pats the top of the box. "Come on, Sakura, I know you can do it to."

Urokodaki clears his throat and Tanjiro looks at it. 

Urokodaki sets the large sun hat and gloves in front of him. "I've noticed that Sakura doesn't sleep as much as Nezuko. She gets her strength back by eating fresh Fruits, Vegetables, and meat. So she may not like being in the box all the time, so I made her these to wear when traveling in the sun."

"Oh." Tanjiro smiles, then turns back to the box and begins to close the door. "Nezuko, Sakura, from now on, we're always gonna be together, okay?" He closes the door to the box.

Urokodaki then grabs the katana next to him. "The last item, a sword for Sakura."

"Why does Sakura need a sword?" Tanjiro asks.

"I one day found her training late after you went to be, about a year ago. From then on I helped her train after you went to bed, I didn't inform you so you wouldn't have to worry about her. But this isn't Nichirin sword, so it won't kill demons she fights, only slow them down for you to kill. She's a good fight, so don't underestimate her skill."

Tanjiro nods.

Several minutes later, after getting fully ready, Tanjiro, Urokodaki and Sakura stand outside. Sakura is wearing the large sun hat on her head, with straps tied under her chin so it won't fall off, and her gloves on. Her sword is tied around the side of the box on Tanjiro's back.

"Alright, I'll be going now." Tanjiro informs.

Urokodaki steps forward and stands in front of Tanjiro. "Hold on. Do you mind?" He fixes Tanjiro's uniform and checks the straps of the box. Then he puts his hands on the boy's shoulders, and nods. 

Tanjiro nods in return. Urokodaki pats Tanjiro's shoulders a couple times.

Suddenly Urokodaki feels a tug on his Haori, and he looks down to see Sakura holding up a pink rock.

"Hmmp." Sakura blinks at Urokodaki as she puts the rock in his hand.

Urokodaki holds up the pink rock and looks at it, then down at Sakura. "Thank you."

A happy light shines in Sakura's eyes as she nods.

Tanjiro grabs Sakura's hand and the two begin to walk off. Tanjiro waves to Urokodaki as they get far down the road, before continuing on.

Tanjiro and Sakura walk down a dirt road along side farmland.

"Nezuko, are you alright?" Tanjiro calls out, but he gets no response. He glances at the box on his back. "Nezuko?" He then remembers what Urokodaki told him about her sleeping. "Nezuko... You get lots of rest." Tanjiro then looks down at Sakura. "How are you doing, Sakura."

Sakura looks up at Tanjiro and blinks a few times, before light squeezing his hand that she's holding. Tanjiro smiles and pats her head.

.

.

.

After a long trek the three make it to the village where Tanjiro's mission is. Though Sakura is now inside the box with her sister. Her gloves and hat are strapped to the side of the box.

Tanjiro stops on the side of a wooden bridge and looks out to the river, where several boats are anchored on shore. A little market is next to the small port.

"Could this be the town to the northwest?" Tanjiro questions, and he moves on.

In the city a man walks aimlessly, with a dead look and a bruise on his face.

"Oh, look, there's Kazumi." Someone points out. "Poor thing. He looks so haggard."

Tanjiro spots Kazumi as he walks past him.

"Because he was with Satoko when she was taken."

Tanjiro stops and looks at Kazumi, before continuing on.

"Night after night... It's so creepy."

"It's so dreadful!"

"When night falls, yet another young girl will be abducted!"

Tanjiro, having listened to the conversation, runs back to Kazumi. "Mir. Kazumi!" Said man stops and turns to Tanjiro. "If you don't mind, I'd like to hear your story. Is that alright?"

.

.

Kazumi brings Tanjiro to an alleyway. Tanjiro is looking around.

"This is where Satoko vanished." Kazumi informs. "You may not believe me."

Tanjiro turns to Kazumi. "I do believe you! I believe you, alright!" Tanjiro turns around and kneels on the ground. "I believe you!"

Tanjiro gets close to the ground and starts sniffing. Kazumi grows very confused at Tanjiro's actions.

'There's still a faint trace of demon scent, but it's uneven, so to speak.' Tanjiro says in thought. 'There's something strange about this.'

Tanjiro then stands up and follows the scent around the town, with Kazumi following. People stare at Tanjiro as he even does it in the middle of the street.

Night soon starts to fall as Tanjiro keeps moving around.

"I want you to believe me." Kazumi suddenly speaks up. "She really did vanish."

Tanjiro turns to Kazumi. "I believe you. After all, that's why I'm here."

The sun sets and Tanjiro keeps going with Kazumi still following.

"You're gonna keep going?" Kazumi asks.

"Yes." Tanjiro responds.

"Look how late it's gotten. I'm flattered that you're so concerned for me, but shouldn't you pick up again tomorrow and get some rest?"

Tanjiro drops to the ground. "Those things are active during the night. So, I can't afford to rest. I've detected a new scent in this area. It's gotta be somewhere nearby."

Kazumi kneels to the ground. "Those things... Don't tell me you're... You're seriously..."

In a nearby house a family is getting ready for bed.

"How terrifying." The mother starts. "I want you to stay indoors for the time being."

"Yes, Mother." The young teenage daughter replies. "Now then, good night."

The daughter heads for her room, not noticing something is following her in the shadows. The girl enters her room and shits the door.

The daughter takes off her Kimono and hangs it up. Then she steps over to her futon and lays down, not noticing the puddle of shadows in the corner of her room.

The girl covers herself with a blanket and looks up to the ceiling. "I wonder what became of the girls who were taken." She closes her eyes. "I just hope they're alright."

A large pool over shadows grows under her futon, without her noticing. Pale hands reach up out of the shadows, then grab her, covering her mouth.

The girl instantly wakes up and tries to struggle against her attacker. But all she can do is give muffled cries as she pulled into the shadows.

Nearby, Tanjiro gasps and shoots up to his feet. Then takes off running.

"What's gotten into you all of a sudden?" Kazumi asks, only to see Tanjiro already down the road.

"The scent just got stronger." Tanjiro says as he runs. "The demon's at large!" He jumps up to the roofs, while Kazumi is trying his best to follow.

Tanjiro runs along the roof tops and down into an alley, where he stops. He looks around and reaches for his sword. 'This is it. They're here right now!'

Tanjiro pulls out his katana, and wipes two fingers over his sakura petal hair pin.

'Two different scents. A demon and a female human!' Tanjiro looks around. 'They're no where around.' He walks to the side with his sword at the ready. 'But...' He aims his sword at the ground. 'The spot where the scent is strongest... is right here!'

Tanjiro stabs his katana into the ground. Black shadows pour out of the ground and a green shirt floats up, but it suddenly gets pulled down.

Tanjiro gasps and reaches down and grabs onto the piece of clothing, and pulls out a young girl from the pool of shadows, part of her right sleeve is torn. He jumps back and lands a little ways from the pool of shadows.

A pale clawed hand sticks out of the pool, holding onto the torn piece of the girls clothing. Then the top half of the demon appears out of the shadows, a small wound on its arm heals.

'A morphed demon!' Tanjiro says in thought. "Where are those girls you kidnapped?"

The three horned demon grinds its teeth loudly.

"I've got two more questions for you!" Tanjiro says as the demon keeps grinding its teeth.

The three horned demon dives down into the shadows and the pool disappears. 

Kazumi runs up next to Tanjiro. "Who was that?"

"Mr. Kazumi." Tanjiro turns to him. "Please hold this person and stand nearby. If you're inside my range of attack, I can protect you!"

Kazumi takes the girl and holds onto her, as Tanjiro walks forward with his sword at the ready.

'From the ground and the wall...' Tanjiro says in thought. 'It can probably emerge from anywhere. There's also the chance that it could show up out of thin air.' He stops. 'But this demon... Even when it's submerged, it can't erase its scent!'

Tanjiro closes his eyes and focuses on the scents around him.

'Here it comes!' Tanjiro turns around. 'Water Breathing, Fifth Form!'

Tanjiro steps forward, only for a pool of shadows to appear under him and four sets of hands shoots out from it. Then four demons appear from the pools in front of Tanjiro.

'There's four of them!'

They all try to grab him, but Tanjiro jumps away and into the air.

'Settle down!' Tanjiro says in thought as the Demons reach up to him. 'You can do it! Eighth Form!  Waterfall Basin!'

Tanjiro brings his sword down, and creates a large impact below him, severing only one arm of each demon.

'Too shallow! I missed all the vulnerable spots!' Tanjiro lands on the ground. 'Because I switched forms midway through!'

The severed arms fall into another pool of shadows and the four demons disappear. Tanjiro falls back to Kazumi, with his sword at the ready.

'All four of them have the exact same scent. I was told that demons don't band together as a rule. So, one demon has dispersed into four. I'm going to protect these two while slashing those three demons!' Tanjiro grits his teeth. 'Don't lose your nerve! Make sure you get him to tell you...'

A shadow pool appears behind Kazumi.

'Anout Muzan Kibutsuji... and how to turn a demon back into a human!' The scent grows strong behind Kazumi. 'Total Concentration...' Kazumi turns around and gasps as a demon lunges at him. 'Water Breathing... Second Form... Water Wheel!'

Tanjiro leaps forward into the air and performs a front flip, releasing a singular vertical slash in a circular motion.

Yet he only cuts into the Demon's shoulder.

'Too shallow again!'

Tanjiro lands on the ground and shoots forward to cut the demons head off, but it disappears into its shadow as he swings his sword.

The shadow pool moves away and the demon reappears.

'I can't chase him too far. And I can't take a full swings while guarding others!'

"You bastard!" The demon yells, a two horned. "Back off for crying out loud!" He points at the young girl. "That girl's gonna go stale on me, dammit! That girl's already 16, okay? If I don't devour her soon, she's gonna lose flavor by the second!"

Kazumi stares at the demon in shock and horror.

A single horned demon appears behind the group. "Cam down, my other self. Hey so what? There are gonna be nights like this. I've already fed on plenty of 16-year-old girls in this town. They were all quite meaty and delicious. I'm satisfied."

A fourth horned demon appears on a nearby wall. "But I'm still hungry, you bastard! Kill the damn bastard already!"

The two horned demon then yells. "I wanna consume more!"

"You monster..." Kazumi steps towards the two horned demon. "Return Satoko to me. The one you abducted the night before last!"

The three horned demon appears on the top of a nearby wall, and loudly grind his teeth. The three and two horned demons start to grind their theeth.

"Satoko?" The single horned one questions. "Who are you talking about?" He opens his haori to show off many hair pins. 

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f63776e6336326176746d564f56673d3d2d313430343239323832332e313739663835393762323365346165623333363131313332363638332e706e67

The single horned demon smiles. "If her hairpin is among these collectibles, then I've devoured her."

Kazumi stares at the red ribbon. A few tears fall down his face.

Suddenly all four demons disappear into their shadow pools. Then the pools disappear.

Tanjiro starts to get flashbacks to his own family's slaughter, causing him to grow angry.

Suddenly the single horned demon lunges at Tanjiro from the side, but he sidesteps the attack. The demon crashes into the wall, and Tanjiro swings his sword, cutting off the demon's arm.

The demon and the arm disappear back into the shadows.

'I missed again! He can escape underground so fast!' A shadow pool appears on the wall next to him. 'Oh no! I got too close to the wall!'

The two horned demon lunges out of the wall and at Tanjiro, but he twists his body out of the way. Then he lands on the ground, only for the demon to appear behind him and throws his clawed hand towards Tanjiro's head.

The box on Tanjiro's back opens up and Nezuko's foot shoots out. Her foot connects with the Demon's head, and causes it to rapidly spin around. The demons the flies several feet back and lands on the ground.

The single horned demon comes out of a nearby shadow pool. "Why would a mere human be accompanying a pair of demons?"

Nezuko climbs out of the box and her demon eyes glare at the two horned demon. Sakura crouches down on top of the box, her sword held out to the side in one hand. Sakura glares at the nearby two horned demon.

Tanjiro readies his sword as his sisters also ready for battle. The single horned demon disappears back into his shadow.

The two horned demon's head spins back into position, and he disappears into a pool of shadows.

Sakura hands flex a little as her veins bulge. She hops off the box and stands next to Nezuko.

Nezuko calmly looks at Kazumi and the girl he's holding, then goes over to them and puts her hands on their faces. Nezuko and Kazumi stare at each other for a few seconds.

"Nezuko..." Tanjiro mutters.

Sakura glances over, and her anger disappears as a happy light shines in her eyes. She hands over and pats the side of Kazumi.

But the two demons stop as their enemy appears in some nearby shadow pools. 

"The demons are the enemy!"Urokodaki's voice rings in Sakura's head and she grows angry. "Never forgive any demon who brings harm onto humans!"

Sakura growls as she charges forward, along with Nezuko, towards the two demons in front of them.

"Sakura! Nezuko!" Tanjiro calls out.

Sakura brings her blade down onto a demon, as sakura petals surround her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-10-2023

2856 words

1