Chapter 49: The Way Home (Found)
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Suicune

"Said to be the reincarnation of north winds, it can instantly purify filthy, murky water."

- Pokémon LeafGreen

 

        In her wildest dreams, Penny never thought she'd stare into the eyes of a god, but there she was, wooing Arven, and Suicune stood in front of them.

        Penny, Arven, Miraidon, and even Tatsugiri bowed. It felt necessary for such a noble Pokémon.

        The north wind picked up and blew Suicune's two streamer-like tails. His back legs hit the Islet's bank, so he no longer perched on the lake.

        Suicune straightened his posture and roared. He sounded like a siren luring a sailor to their doom.

        The roar mesmerized Penny. She shakily stood and offered Suicune the Scarlet Book. He had to be Celebi's friend.

        Suicune approached her, and Penny lowered the book, bowing again.

        "Do not fear me."

        Hearing Suicune's voice, Penny jumped. Like Celebi, he had telepathy.

        Suicune examined Penny and her friends. "Please rise, all of you." He seemed to smile at Tatsugiri. "You, too, little Tatsugiri."

        Tatsugiri looked up. Per Suicune's request, it rose.

        "I am Suicune, the embodiment of the north wind and water." Suicune glanced between Tatsugiri, Miraidon, Arven, and Penny. "Welcome. My friend, Celebi, said you were coming. May I see the Scarlet Book, Penny?"

        Suicune said not to fear him, but Penny felt she had no choice until she gave him the book. Shivering, she got up again and held it to his snout.

        Suicune's streamers, like Sylveon's feelers, accepted the book, and he put it over his head. "Thank you. Now, come with me, Miraidon."

        "Gias?" Miraidon checked behind and on either side of him. He focused on Suicune, who nodded.

        "Yes, you. I need to ask you something."

        At first, Miraidon didn't move. He looked like he was carefully studying Suicune and trying to figure out if he was a friend or foe.

        Penny understood Miraidon's hesitation. After all, she'd heard good and bad stories about Legendary Pokémon.

        She stepped aside when Arven passed her and stroked Miraidon. "It's okay, Miraidon. I think we can trust him."

        Did Arven's voice crack? If it did, a confetti shower of emotions popped out of Penny's baton. She giggled and chewed her pinkie.

        Still nervous, Miraidon sat back and lifted his front foot. He set it on top of Arven's hand. "Come with me, Arven," his eyes read.

        Doh, that was adorable, considering how much Miraidon hated Arven before. Penny wondered what changed the Pokémon's mind.

        Arven chuckled feebly. He took a few steps forward and stumbled.

        Penny reached out to help him, but Arven gently waved her away. "I'm fine, Penny. I can take care of myself. I'm tough."

        He spoke the truth. Out of them all, Arven was most likely the toughest. Penny now knew he got it from his mom. No, from AI Sada.

        Arven and Miraidon approached Suicune. Both of them inhaled.

        Suicune led Miraidon to Casseroya Lake. "Miraidon," he said. "No, Koraidon, I watched you protect Arven and Penny from Veluza. Celebi told me that you resented Arven. May I ask what changed?"

        Huh, it looked like Suicune and Penny thought the same way. If only Miraidon had telepathy. Penny wondered what his "Agias" and "Gias" meant.

        "Well, then," Suicune added, nodding, "I believe you have made your amends. For that, I shall purify your dirty memories."

        What did he mean by that? Penny thought Suicune would help Turo. Were all three Legendary Beasts this mysterious?

        Suicune removed the Scarlet Book from his head. His front paw touched the lake, and he set the book on the now-glowing patch. Suicune stepped back and allowed Miraidon to take the stage.

        He sniffed the gleaming water and pawed it.

        A shimmering bubble lifted the Scarlet Book out of Casseroya. It circled Miraidon from head to toe. He rose off the ground, and a scarlet light washed over him.

        Penny realized what was happening and gasped. "Miraidon!"

        Under the Scarlet Book, Miraidon's body transformed. Two feathery antennae replaced his futuristic ones, and his tire switched to that of Koraidon's: modernized but also ancient. He grew a few inches taller, and his rockets gave way to reveal powerful hind legs. From looking at him, he was bigger than Scarlet's Koraidon.

        Once his metamorphosis ceased, the light brought Miraidon to the ground. It faded, and he examined himself.

        Koraidon tapped his feet and clenched one of them like a fist. His orange-yellow eyes rolled over to Arven and Penny. He showed them his new body and shook his feathers.

        "Miraidon, you're Koraidon again!" Arven observed. "I can't believe it!"

        Penny couldn't, either.

        "Gias! Agias!" Koraidon sprinted around the area. He danced and tried out his prehistoric body. That was the happiest Penny ever saw him.

        She clapped and said, "Go, Koraidon, go!" If Suicune could rid Koraidon of his dirty memories and transform him through water, perhaps...?

        "You're welcome," Suicune spoke before Koraidon thanked him. He showed Penny his back. "Penny, grab the Scarlet Book and hop on. Arven, you ride Koraidon. It's time to save Turo."

***

        Arven was ready—and excited—to finally get his dad back. Suicune proved he could help with Mirai—no, Koraidon.

        Arven trembled, but not from fear. He wasn't scared anymore. He mounted Koraidon and gripped his newly transformed antennae. Tatsugiri slid down his arm and landed on Koraidon's head.

        "Hold on tight, Tatsugiri." Arven brushed his brow with the back of his hand. "Mirai—Koraidon likes to go fast." Gosh, this was going to take time.

        Suicune lowered his body. His red eyes met Penny's.

        She felt for him, but again, she only had half her glasses. With Suicune's help, she found his back and hopped onto it. Penny tucked the Scarlet Book in his mane and nodded at Arven.

        He returned it. This was it, the final level of the game. Arven just hoped it wasn't too late.

        Suicune went first. He unleashed his siren-like cry and jumped onto Casseroya's surface.

        Penny snatched his mane before she fell, and her eyes widened.

        "You're doing great, Penny!" Arven called, rubbing his brow again. Why did he feel so horrible all of a sudden? No, he had to stay strong—for his dad, sister, and Sada. "It's time, Koraidon," he coughed. "Follow Suicune."

 

"Water has memories, even dirty ones, which purify with the next rain."

- Viktoria Fyodorova

0