Chapter 14 – Collar
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lotef

Lotef stood at the threshold, her escorts still hadn't appeared. Considering where she was going, he better be a warden with smooth features and a blinding smile. With powerful jinn, all of which shirtless and slathered in oil!

She spared another glance, at the noble district. It was bizarre, looking at buildings, not wealds. The nobility preferred to have a freshly built set of houses at every stop, no matter how wasteful such structures were. If Lotef was being honest, she would have sworn they acted this way because it was wasteful. Lotef slowly gazed upward at the largest building. Her head was forced to tilt up just to see the entire building. How many jinn did the preceding lord spend on this after every march?

["Jealous?"]

Lotef turned away as fast as she could. /I can do this. I can do this!/ She kept telling herself, and she would keep telling herself until she made her way back home. She didn't like turning her back to the place as well. She felt far too bare not keeping her eyes on that place. She was being ridiculous, it's not like the nobles would actually do anything. She'd keep telling herself that as well.

Two women made their way, both clad in petal armor. /That's all?/ It's not like petal armor was bad or anything. It's just that compared to nymhide, it might as well have been Judgment's leavings. Both sporting hair long enough to clearly denote they were Lionesses. Well, the blonde one was, the maple brown-haired woman who had a large bell strapped to her side. /A warder! That's good, warders are great!/ A warder's talents would be a relief considering where they were going.

"You Jyoto?" The Blonde Lioness said, she gave off the same look and tone Overseer Agatha employed. Was there a class for this kind of thing? Did Lotef miss it in Academ?

"Yes," Lotef said, hating how much she sounded like a frightened child.

"I am Lioness Bridget," She said, placing her hand on her chest, and waving towards the Warder. "This is my Warder."

"Mable." She said, with a bow, taking the helm off in unison with her Lioness. Lotef met her eyes and was glad she was wearing a rebreather. They were a pale violet, matron they were violet!

"Regal, it is an honor to have you with us." A regal, maybe she didn't have to worry so much if she had a regal with her.

"Please, Luminous." Regal Mable said, tentatively, "I am your warder today and I would prefer to only be treated as your warder today." That got a look from her Lioness. A look Lotef would have called out, she really would have. But it would be improper to deny a regal her wish.

"Of course Lucent." It was so bizarre calling a regal of all things lucent. She had experience with Regal Nu, he liked putting on a humble demeanor as well. But she could never see him accepting being called a lucent in any way shape or form.

"Or warder." Regal Mable offered, Lotef nodded, was she really that obvious?

"We are ready to go on your order." Lucent Bridget said, placing her helm back on.

"What about your lott?" Lotef asked, getting a look as she had just suggested they'd walk in naked.

"Luminous, it's just the two of us." Lucent Bridget said.

Just the two of them? Was that a joke? They expected her to be ok walking in there with such meager means? Would they expect her to go into a jungle without even a warjin as a bodyguard?

["You sound like a warden."]

/I am a warden!/ Lotef sighed, /Pay Her no mind, you have enough to worry about today./

"Permission to speak ma'am?" Before Lotef could answer, Lucent Bridget continued, "I would advise you heed our experience in this situation. Both Warder Mable and myself are knowledgeable about what is to be expected and I can promise you, we will be able to keep you safe."

Lotef nodded, "Very well, but I would like to know a bit of the women looking after me before we begin."

Lotef couldn't see her face, but she was certain Lucent Bridget was smirking beneath that helm. "I was born at Pearl Marche, I walked the shores of that coast every day since I was able to walk. Mable can't sleep without some velvet groping her."

"Ma'am!" Regal Mable snapped, "I don't-, Just ignore her Luminous." The flush look on her face and the flickering of her violet eyes told Lotef it was true and she should indeed keep that fact in mind.

"I will clarify, I wish to know of your capabilities, Lioness."

"Of course ma'am. What do you wish to know?"

Why were they so certain the two of them would be able to keep her safe? "If we were attacked, How would you respond?"

"We'd fight back." Lioness Bridget said, Lotef waited for more of an explanation. When Lucent Bridget didn't continue, was when Lotef wanted to just find a hole to leap into.

"Then?"

"That depends on who or what attacks ma'am."

"The entire providence." This was getting tiring.

"The entire... providence?"

"Yes! What if every noble attacked us."

"Hypothetically, if we were attacked by... everyone. We would find a place to hold up and have Mable hold them off."

Lotef nodded, "Do you think your riven could handle it, Warder Mable?"

"I doubt we could count on her, Luminous." Regal Mable said meekly, she pressed a fist on the bell at her side. "But, this will do fine." Lotef wanted to argue, but that didn't sound right.

"The men stationed within will also serve us as we wait for the overseer to respond properly. What are you counting?"

"Huh?" Lotef followed the lioness' gaze and noticed her thumb had been going for a stroll. How long had she been running? Had she been doing it this whole conversation? "N-nothing." She said, and thankfully they did not press the conversation any further. "Very well. Where is my armor?"

Once again they shared a look, and already it was getting tiring. "You're armor?" Lucent Bridget asked.

"Of course." They did not expect her to walk in without armor, while the two of them had a set. It would have been one thing if she had a group of men and genie to act as bodyguards. Convictions she—couldn't believe she was about to admit this—didn't even have Midnight with her to redirect.

["It was good to have someone to watch your back, wasn't it? Someone to count on, just make the wish and you'd never have to be alone again..."]

"I did not know you were trained in the use of armor."

Lotef forced herself to not say 'Huh?' Like a stupid child, instead, she responded with a slightly more respectable. "I was not aware one needed to be trained in petal armor."

Lucent Bridget nodded, "Most armor requires training..." Lotef forced herself not to roll her eyes, as the lioness spent an indulgent time explaining the intricately boring details of said armor.  Lotef wanted Lucent Bridget to quit talking, she felt like she was a child being dressed down. Maybe she could order her to shut up. "...It would probably take a week to get you moving properly."

"Thank you for the insight /Lucent./ I trust you are capable if the overseer sent you." With that, she turned and made her way into the noble district. It had to be better than talking with this lioness. 

Lotef made her way past the large buildings and uncaring groups of people. Honestly, she had expected something more... imposing? "Will you be ok?" Lucent Bridget asked, Lotef nodded and took a deep breath, and forced herself to move forward. She expected decadent displays and greater violence, cannibalism, and maybe open orgies.

Instead, she found herself marveling at how pleasant the setting was. From here one would have been forgiven to believe the exodus was a vacation, not a military expedition. There were even birds chirping and playing among one another without a care in the world.

Lotef was surprised to see how many normal people were here. The Lottmen stationed as guards were expected. But she was surprised to find the women dispersed between each group of men. Considering how many times she saw each interacting with a single man in each group. Could they really miss their gentlemen so much that they couldn't wait to be put off duty?

["How about you get yourself a gentleman than talk."]

Lotef was relieved and worried when they made their way past a bench, two women laughing among each other. It was nice to see two women not boy-crazy, but did they really have to use this place to lounge? She nearly gathered enough nerve to order Lucent Bridget to shoo them back to the camp, until one of them turned towards Lotef and her group. Glass spheres in the place of her eyes, each emitting a soft amber light. Lotef nearly fell backward, Lucent Bridget's hand pressed against her back, keeping her to her feet. The two Jinn let out a shrill giggle as they made their way.

"Keep your composure." Lucent Bridget said, "We can not show weakness here." Lotef nodded, thankful at the guards stationed across key locations, even here. Matron's Mercy, how could they stomach being here all day? It was nice to know at least when left mostly to their own devices, blood sacrifices, and other nonsense weren't occurring.

And then Lotef saw something that made her heart jump to her throat, a noble sitting casually his glass eyes focusing intently on his book. Every time she wanted to give this place a chance it had to remind her how far from normal it was. Lotef kept moving forward, the sooner she paid her respect the sooner she could get back to her room.

Gentry was scattered across the land, it was one of the few admirable traits Lotef would concede among the nobility. Unlike apostates, who at best would chain any child of the matron, and at worst consume them for their power. The nobility possessed at least a sense of decency towards the matron's children.

The further they made their way to the center of the chamber the more the veneer of peacefulness began to peel away. Less gentry, more decadent structures, most consisting of a man. A vast majority of halfjin, those that lacked glass eyes instead were forced to wear black chalk around their eyes. They were also forced to run around and serve their 'betters.'

"Slaves." Regal Mable said with a disgust that Lotef was surprised the regal possessed. Lotef felt a pit of unease, building in her gut, were the jinn really debased enough to begin enslaving their kin?

A ring of jinn howled and cheered as a circle of people surrounded two chanters, each one swiping at one another. Lotef was taken back to that day, the moment Luminous Eija pulled her into that brawl. Men cheered, heckled, pushed against one another, and even... wagered.

["Careful now, you might just begin seeing those horrid jinn as something more."She said, standing among the crowd, her thumb running across a pile of leaves. 

In a moment the fight was finished and answered the question Lotef was horrified to ask. One chanter had buried its nails into its foe's neck, its claws sharp enough to rip through its combatant's flesh. The loser gripping its hand against its neck, bleeding out, the victor continuing to beat what little life remained from it.

Lotef hurried herself to the main tower, the quicker she finished this, the quicker she could put all of this out of her mind. 

["Pretty much the only thing you are good at."]

Lotef kept an easy pace, as she led her group to the castle. Few words would fit the obscene structure. Her feet hurt just thinking how much she'd have to walk. 

A single woman stood at the entrance. She was surrounded by a crowd of chanters, they pulled and tripped at one another, each trying to get the woman's attention. She ran her hand up the neck of one like he was a hound. "Finally." She said, shooing the pack of chanters away. "You took your time didn't you?" She shooed away the crowd of chanters all save the one she had in her hand. Lotef was relieved, she normally didn't mind chanters as long as they were nowhere near her. 

"Go ahead and let them know, my pet." She said to the lone chanter that stayed at her side. It rushed past its mistress into the castle, disappearing ahead. "Come." She said, sparing a look at Lotef before turning her back and leading them further.

Lotef hated when she was right, especially when it came to being uncomfortable. How many stairs did this aborted place have? How much longer did she have to walk? 

Their guide skipped ahead like she was a child. Occasionally she would turn towards them and smile.

Lotef toyed with the idea of asking how much longer but decided against it. She wanted as little to do with this girl as possible. When they made it to their next set of stairs to climb was the silence broken.

"Were you expecting bodies?" Their hostess asked. The woman had not given her name and Lotef did not really want to know.

"Bodies?"

"Yes as decorations," She said, walking backward on the railing, the sight made Lotef dizzy. "You keep looking around as if you've never been inside a building before."

"Oh."

"Oh? Is that really all you can muster? I am trying my best to be a fitting hostess and I feel it would be only kind for you to play your part." 

Lotef would have spared a glance to her guards but she was more concerned with falling off. The stairwell was a single spiral, held only by the top and bottom, with only two railings to hold too. "Well..." Their hostess said, crossing her arms. "I guess there is no accounting for courtesy."

"You have no idea how much effort I have put into this, I talked with multiple of your dreadfully boring guards, pestered my father—he was human once, so he knows these things—and made a whole list of topics we could talk about." She said, pulling a sheet of paper from her blouse. 

"It was chock full of great ones like-" She coughed into her fist to clear her throat, "How's the weather? What is your favorite color," She made an eccentric gesture and dropped her sheet of paper, it slowly fluttered to the ground. Lotef was smart enough not to look down. "And... How's the weather?"

"You already said that one," Lotef said, regretting it immediately.

"Ah! A word, it seems like my guest can produce more than one word! I was afraid for a moment, you were planning to pay your respects with sign language. Which would be rather difficult considering you can't even read a sign!" She said, laughing at her 'joke'.

Lotef kept silent, replaying the altercation between the two chanters outside was proper encouragement. She had to remember this woman was still a genie, no matter how friendly she was making herself out to be. 

"Going back to be a bore again?" She said with a childish puff, "Fine." With that, she turned her back to them with a speed Lotef couldn't comprehend considering she was on a single rail. "I can play this too." She said, keeping silent... for all of three seconds, before listing off a string of the pleasant conversational questions she had prepared. Or at least she tried to, she stumbled on lines or paused assumedly trying to recall what was written on the list. /Was it still falling?/ Lotef found herself wondering. 

"Do you have a mageblade?" Her hostess asked.

"Why do you think I'd possess a mageblade?" Lotef asked, too lost in her thoughts on that aborted sheet of paper to even realize she had broken her silence.

"Jealousy? Why else would you humans suffer such objects around?"

"It's rather complicated."

"Not really, it's either you have one or you don't."

Talking with this woman was a mistake. "I mean it was complicated why we keep them."

Hostess nodded, "Jealousy is a complex emotion, I've been studying it for a while, which is why I begged and pleaded to be the one to greet you. And let me tell you, you have been a huge let dow-"

Hostess slipped, her foot falling unsteadily on the railing, she attempted to correct her balance. Her over-correction bought her another second before she ended up toppling.

She pushed forward, before Lotef could process she had firmly grabbed onto Hostess, Lucent Bridget, and Regal Mable keeping her from falling. She was afraid her ribs would snap, her chest crushing against the railing.

Lotef had expected fear, or at least concern in the genie's eye, instead, she wore a bewildered expression. 

"Pull! Abort you, pull!" Lucent Bridget commanded, the two of them worked in sync and pulled Lotef and the genie back onto the steps, nearly falling themselves on the other side. 

"What were you-," Lucent Bridget stopped for a slight second and replaced what she was going to say with a, "Harmed?"

"No. I'm fine." Lotef said, lifting herself to her feet, "Thank you, for your timely assistance." Lotef quickly turned to Hostess she still wore that bewildered look, "I assume you are fine as well?"

"You saved me..." She finally said.

"I would have you not pulling that stunt again, do you hear me?"

"You saved me."

"It was more Lucent Bridget and Lucent Mable saved both of us, now quit walking on the rails, I don't want to repeat that again."

With that she crossed her arms and went back to pouting, "You won't talk with me, you won't let me have my fun. You are planning to make this a dreadful affair aren't you?"

"No more. I mean it." You'd think she'd get some credit for rescuing her. Ok, now that Lotef had a moment to think about everything, she really didn't rescue her. Abortion if Prudence had been with her. She probably would have just let the genie fall and be done with this nonsense.

"I'm not one of your chained animals to scrape and scurry. I have tolerated your rudeness but I will not be ordered in my domain, is that clear?" She said, that amber lightning tracing across her.

["Do not concede, your every action is being judged. If you want to make the impression of a weak milksop, go ahead. Be my guest."]

"Warder Mable, your bell please." Lotef pretended not to notice Regal Mable looking towards Lucent Bridget for confirmation before finally complying. A single chime rang from the bell; the energy surrounding the genie flickered and faded.

She looked at her hand disbelieving for a moment and tried to summon her power again. /Go ahead and strain all you like, there is no way-/

Lotef was really proud with how she contained herself when a single flicker ran across Hostess' fingertip. She was afraid she cracked the moment the deranged genie began laughing.

["Who laughs after being amputated!"She hissed, Lotef had to be honest, the genie got some points for annoying her.

"You are right, this is your domain, but that domain was granted to you by Catharine Lacoth," there was a chill when Lotef invoked her name. She saw it even in her hostess' face. "I am your guest, and I'm certain she would disapprove if she was to hear of your mistreatment of me and my guards." Lotef was still breathing that was a good sign. "You are going to see that we make it to your lord in one piece, are we clear?" Not as dramatic as Lotef wanted considering what just happened. But she hoped she could still plant firmly in the genie's mind who was in charge.

"Crystal." She said, hopping to her feet... then the railings. Lotef kept her mouth shut, completely aware this battle was not worth it.

"Luminous" Lucent Bridget said, "I would advise you not to antagonize our guide, a wise leader knows when to pick their battles."

Lotef was speechless, the nerve of that woman Lotef had half a mind to argue with Hostess just to get at Lioness 'I can't seem to understand I'm not in charge!'

...

Lotef was relieved to finally reach the main chamber, that relief quickly became revulsion the moment she was assaulted by that horrid odor. It smelled like something had died and was left undisturbed for some reason. She fought to keep herself from vomiting within her rebreather. Matron, she had her rebreather filtering the stench and it was still so awful to endure.

At the end of the path was what Lotef expected when she thought of a lord's domain. Large immaculate room, overly decorated throne, and a large table splayed with a spread of foods of all kinds.

The chamber was large, large enough to grow entire fields of crops, ostentatious was the proper word for the place. Pillars lined the walkway, each made in a different shape giving it an asymmetric look. Lotef swallowed, attempting to push past that odor, a primal almost animalistic musk, ripe and tangy. Lotef did not hesitate to adjust her filter, attempting to expunge the odor, not that it helped much.

She could make out a man on the throne as they got closer. She had already seen him multiple times already. In the gaudy statues and murals littered in the area, Lucjan. Two women at his side, one fanning him, the other feeding him an apple. Lotef fought to keep her composure when she saw the chanter sent ahead laying on the ground. His hands pressed against his face, no doubt nursing a bruise under that hood.

Lotef found the source of that odor, where she expected a table filled with rich wines and golden brown salted meats. Instead held beast carcasses and crimson red slabs, lacking salt to flavor or keep preserved, goblets of flat beverages littered the table each one waiting to be grasped.

Their guide placed her hand on the chanter. The creature sprung to life, shaking itself before rushing outside. "Father." Their guide said falling to a knee, "Three worms seemed to have sprouted from the dirt of our garden, shall I do you the labor of cleaving them?" She silenced the moment Lucjan lifted his hand.

Lucjan pushed the girl who had been feeding him. He had shoved her with enough force for her to fall off his lap to the side. Lotef winced, bracing for a thump only for her to land softly like she was a feather. Opening his eyes lazily he revealed two large gemstones of cut amber. 

"Calm yourself, my child," His voice was long and drawn out; like he spoke from the corner of his mouth. "I would hate for the overseer to hear I had been an unfitting host." His hair, black and immaculate, his shoulders wide and bare. He seemed concerned with more pressing matters than Lotef and her guard. Such as eating and letting the fan cool him.

"I must have pleased the Overseer somehow," He said, inclining his fingers in a 'come here' motion to his daughter. "If she was to send three lovely ladies to entertain me." He sat firmly, an arm draped around the shoulder of the girl sitting on his lap.

"Well one lovely lady at least, I have no idea about the other two... You two wouldn't be rude enough to hide yourselves behind those helms your entire visit would you?"

To her surprise, both Lucent Bridget and Regal Mable removed their helmets, though Regal Mable hesitated slightly. 

"Aren't you a tad far from home little parasite?" Lucjan said, a rictus grin appearing on his face, "And I thought Nu was the only of your kin around here, but it appears the matron has cursed me with another of your ilk." He waved toward one of the girls and she moved without hesitation. Lotef was glad she did not have a weapon on hand because she was certain she would have used it right then and there in a panic.

A clicking rang throughout the room, the girl who was light as a feather, making her way to a mockery of an immaculate table. Lotef watched in abject horror as the girl deftly plucked a stem of shriveled grapes. Lotef was nauseous just looking at the 'food' on the table, the girl wasn't really planning to eat anything from that table, was she?

"That mouth isn't just for show is it girl?" He paused for a moment, "No I guess that question doesn't work for your kind..." He set his jaw, taking a moment to come up with something better, "You do possess a mouth don't you girl?" He said as if he didn't fumble his insult earlier.

"Lotef Jyoto, My lord." Lotef fell to her knees, paying the respect necessary, "I came here to-,"

"Ahhh yes," He opened his mouth, letting one deflated balloon of a grape fall. "Agatha's new toy," He said, still chewing at the grape while he spoke. "Very well, pay your respects."

Lotef kept to her knees and recited the oath, using the borrowed tongue, before she could even get the second word out, she was interrupted, "Wait." Lucjan said holding his hands up.

Lotef spared a single glance, looking upwards, she was able to see the contempt and anger in the girls around his seat, all directed towards her. "I can barely hear you child, would you be so kind, to remove that ghastly thing hanging on your face?"

Lotef's teeth pressed firmly against her lips he could not have been serious, not here of all places, "My lord," Lucent Bridget spoke, "Surely you only need Luminous Lotef to speak loud-,"

"I thought I was addressing the enjinseer, not her ornaments," He said, absently to one of his three attendants.

"Be nice father, you know the humans are a bit... slow-minded." One of his attendants said, rubbing her fingers on his chest.

"Perhaps the little enjinseer," Another said, her voice as wispy as the wind. "Is doing us a favor, who knows what ugly visage she has tucked beneath that... mouth thing."

"Maybe she doesn't believe we won't glamour her..." The final one said with a pout, "The gall of implying us being oath breakers."

"Certainly Agatha has taught you of etiquette, has she not?" Lucjan asked the mockery in the back of his throat.

"My guards keep their rebreathers on," Lotef demanded, though her voice cracked like crazy.

"Why should I care of your ornaments?" He asked, waving his hand.

Lotef struggled, pulling the rebreather off, taking a full breath of unfiltered air, the foul odor of the table at full force. She struggled to control her breathing, quickly beginning to breathe through her mouth, Lucjan and his jinn looking at her with twisted amusement.

Lotef swallowed her hesitation, and recited the oath, speaking with the borrowed tongue, Blissfully she had to endure no other interruption. "Rise child, I tire of you kneeling," Lucjan commanded, Lotef was more than happy to comply. "I promise my children, and power as a boon, the pact will be fulfilled, is that all?" Lotef nodded, looking him in his unnatural glass eyes.

"Yes, thank you, my lord." Lotef bowed, ready to turn and leave.

"Hold child," He commanded, he nodded to one of the girls, and with a smile she made her way to a large decadent table, pulling the leg of a slain elk; tossing it to the floor. Raw red congealed blood splattered across her boots, Lotef clenched her fist, struggling to keep her composure. "What host would I be if I sent you off without offering you of my bounty?"

"Your jest is getting old, 'Lord.'" Lucent Bridget said, her tone hardening.

"You will not deny me my pound of flesh!" He shouted, slamming his fist against his chair. Amber energy radiating from him. Luminous Bridget and Regal Mable pulled their weapons, each brandishing a handtorch. /How did they keep themselves from firing right now!?/

Lucjan paid the action no mind, putting his fist to his mouth, producing a single cough before looking back towards Lotef. "Excuse me, that was rude of me, go ahead, enjoy yourself."

Lotef looked a the leg quarter, it was raw, did they really eat this garbage? "No." She said.

"What was that?" His eyes narrowed, his grin morphing into a scowl before Lotef's very eyes. 

"I am not a toy for you to tug at, now excuse us, I am at the last of my patience!" The entire room went quiet, Lotef felt beads of sweat running down her cheeks. What just left her mouth? What did she just say?!

His eyes narrowed, energy filling the orbs in his skull Lotef wanted to say something, to apologize, to fall to her knees and beg forgiveness, but she was too frightened to move.

["Besides, this creature is beneath you."]

Lucjan let out a bellowing laugh, "You have spirit girl," He said, falling back on his chair, "You amused me." His smile reached his glowing glassy eyes. "Now leave me, I tire of your disturbance." He ordered waving them away. Lotef did not hesitate to put her rebreather back on and rush out of that room with her guardswomen.

...

"You did well." Lucent Bridget said curtly, her words were neither honeyed nor forced. Just a statement of reality, no different than acknowledging the sky was blue.

"Luminous, that was amazing!" Regal Mable cheered, "For a moment I thought you were going to die! I thought... We were going to die." Was this how Lotef looked to others? "Honestly I don't think I could ever..."

"You wouldn't," Lucent Bridget said firmly, getting a look from her mane, "You're way too picky to put anything less than edible in your mouth." Lotef awaited a retort but the silence all but conceded. Lotef was just glad it was over.

Lotef made her way toward the entrance of her room, Lucent Bridget and Regal Mable insisted on following her all the way back home. Between the two of them and Overseer Agatha, one could be forgiven for assuming the exodus camp was a seedy underground overflowing with thugs.

It was all she could do to convince them not to stay with her the entire night out of some fear of some kind of retaliation from Lucjan. "This is where you live? It has to be twice as big as what they hand us." Regal Mable said.

Lotef blinked, "You're exaggerating," She had seen Lucent Bridget's barracks, each Lioness had her own quarters, and it dwarfed the little hobble she had. "This place could fit in your quarters three times over."

Both Lionesses looked towards her, as if she had ate the foul leg quarters Lucjan had offered and asked for seconds. "Can you point out those barracks Luminous? Because I would love to take those." Regal Mable said with a soft laugh, "That building isn't Bridget's, it belongs to Rapunzel Lylou."

"Oh," Lotef said, her cheeks flushing, feeling like a child, being explained something she should have already known once again.

"We all share rooms at the dorms," Bridget answered.

"You can say we when you have to endure Maple's snoring. It's like two bears attempting to maw one another." Regal Mable said laughing with her hand to her mouth. "One thing's certain, we don't get to plant flowers. Nadala  would love it out here." She took an appraising eye at each one. Judging by the way she was looking at them, it was safe for Lotef to assume she didn't know.   

"I don't know about others, but these are for alchemist, I kind of dabble a bit."

Lucent Maple nodded, a smile on her face, it was obvious she had no idea what Lotef was talking about, Lotef was used to that when she talked about alchemy.

...

Bridget

"I do not like her," Bridget said, paying no mind to her companion.

"That was a tad obvious ma'am," Mable said with a chuckle, then why even ask? Mable should know she hated answering useless questions. "But being fair, you did your fair share of standoffishness as well."

"The overseer did that girl a disservice." The girl had obviously been coddled her entire life.

"Not all of us can be lucky enough to have no one to lean on," Mable said with a very Maple-like tone. The two of them have been spending far too much time with each other. "Don't you think you're being a tad harsh?"

"No. The girl is selfish, far too concerned with her own pride or wellbeing to consider how those actions will affect the lives of those under their command." She just had to beat her chest at every challenge?

"You can't tell me you would have taken a bite of that thing." Mable asked with disbelief.

"I would."

Mable stopped before letting out an audible sound of disgust, before rushing to keep up with her, after realizing she wouldn't get any more words out of Bridget she continued, "Not everyone sees leadership the same as you ma'am."

"I know," That was the problem, "But I am not in charge of how everyone views leadership, so long as my manes realize the true purpose."

Mable placed her hand on her breast, "I'll try ma'am."

"You're a lioness, try is not luxury for your lott."

"Right ma'am, of course."

...

Lotef

Lotef made her way to her weald, greeted by Midnight who stood outside waiting for her. "Welcome back Mistress."

"What did Overseer Agatha want with you?" Lotef asked.

"I was ordered not to say..." Midnight said, holding her hand to her elbows. How would it work if she were to order Midnight to answer? Could she get Midnight to explain?

["You could ask her and find out."]

No! Curiosity was the first step on a road she would not walk.

["Anymore."]

"Why didn't you go into your room?" The basement had a segment that could be open from the outside. Only Lotef and the Overseer knew the keynote to open that one, and Midnight's lamp was keyed to open the chamber if she pressed against it.

"It would be improper to not greet you, mistress." Lotef fought back a sigh in response, this was one reason she didn't want a genie. Too much responsibility, honestly.

Lotef input her key-note let the weald open itself, Lotef was glad to finally get home. Lotef slouched into her weald, the cool chill of the rimeblossom temperature room was a relief. She wanted to fall into her bed and go to sleep. "Midnight, make me something light and then get to your basement."

"Should I come back another time?" Lotef only just realized Overseer Agatha sitting at her table.

"Overseer!" Lotef said, and thankfully Midnight wasn't having a panic attack. "What can I do for you?"

"Sit." She said, waving her hand towards the other chair. Thank the matron she left Lotef's seat alone. "I'm glad you are back in one piece."

"Midnight get that bottle of-"

"Just water will do nicely. I will make this quick. By paying your respects you are now officially an enjinseer." Funny, she thought tending to the jinn and repairing the floratech made her an enjinseer. "Hence I am happy to award you with this."

It was then a cat made his way on the table, his coat grey and black complete with a long set of tails, marking it as a Kokori.

"Ohhh, he's such a cutie!" Lotef cooed, lifting the cat to her cheeks, the creature greeting her with a series of licks.

"You need to train him properly, he is your reasonability." Overseer Agatha said, standing behind her.

"Of course overseer," Lotef said, keeping the kitten within her grasp, a Kokori was a valuable species, even now the creature's tails gripped at both of her arms.

"What are you going to name him?" Overseer Agatha asked with a smirk, Overseer Agatha never grinned or smile, the best one could get out of her was a smirk.

"Collar."

"If only you were as decisive on your other responsibilities." Lotef blushed at the Overseer's joke. "Make he's fed and trained properly."

"Yes, overseer," Lotef said, her hand continuing to brush beneath the Kokori's chin.

0