Chapter 21 – Hardworking Folk
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Garen

Garen placed his boot firmly and pulled the arrow from her neck. She looked past him unfocused, looking like she was gazing at the clear blue sky. Cleaning the blood from the arrow he placed it back in his quiver. He looked away, letting out a soft sigh. He always hated these types of kills. Not women, he was an equal-opportunity killer. You had to be if you wanted to live in this kind of work.

"Master!" A voice called out, though Garen was the only one who could hear her. The creature was an arboreal nightmare. A floral construction borrowing traits from wolf, leopard, bear, and multiple other predators. Now she looked like a shambling wounded animal on the verge of death, waiting to be put out of its misery. "Did I do good?" She shouted, the excitement a clash with her shambling visage. "Did I?!"

"You did great." He said, softly, brushing his hand against her forehead, ignoring the nectar-like blood smearing across his hand. "Now get out."

There was a pause as she attempted to process what he had just ordered, she had to know this was coming. "But," She said, that perkiness she had a moment ago replaced with fear, "I think I can-"

"Out. Now."

She looked away, avoiding his gaze, Garen just sat and waited. He didn't have a lot of time, but he could make time for this. "I can't..." She admitted meekly. "I promise I'm still useful like this." She attempted to hop around, only for her front leg to give in and fall forward.

Garen sighed and pulled his hunting knife free, he slipped it into the soft spot of his companion's neck and twisted. She whimpered, it was a weak sound, her feet scratching on the floor. Thankfully she was a good girl, even now she kept herself from causing him any problems. He pushed until he felt a snap. She made a final jerk, the body going as limp as cloth, its head resting on his boot.

"How about now?" Garen asked, wiping his knife clean.

She hesitated for a moment then slipped out of her hammock. Garen held his hand out, getting a firm grasp on her arm. Pulling until she spilled out of the remains. The eldritch emerged fully gripping his arm as tightly as she could. Her hair was white with azure tips, a poppy flower for her maw. Her blossom sat at the nape of her neck. Her eyes were closed as if she was asleep.

"Get up Kat." Kat shuffled, opened her coal-black eyes, huffed, and crossed her arms.

"You can be so mean, master." She said pouting, it was amazing how she could go from pleading to demanding in the blink of an eye.

"You did good," He said, patting her on the head, "We'll go to that one restaurant when this is over."

"The Hummingbird's Rest!?"

"No, that's all the way in Ovatara. The one we went to last night."

"Fine." Judging by her tone, it was certainly not fine.

"Can you walk?"

"I think!" Kat said, standing to her feet and giving the ground a few good kicks. Before bouncing and swirling her core in a circle.

"You didn't have to kill her." Garen took the filtered castigation in stride, Lioness Odila marched past him kneeling before the felled eldritch. How could she wear that thing for so long? It must have been suffocating.

"You're welcome." He said, keeping his hand on Kat's shoulder, the last thing he needed was her starting an unnecessary fight. What was with these Lions? When you have an enemy in front of you, you kill them. "Stay here." He ordered Kat, making his way to the girl, ignoring whatever the Lioness threatened.

He closed the eldritch's eyes, at least she could rest now. "The necromancers are hopeless, but I had hoped you'd feel at least some shame heartless."

Heartless, another word he didn't understand. The lioness and her lott referred to him and any who couldn't weave heartless. Apparently, they thought that was a more tenable epithet, he'd much prefer to be referred to as an apostate or necromancer than heartless. The word made him feel like he was a walking corpse. "Nothing to be shamed of." He shrugged.

"If it wasn't for my master you'd be dead human!" Kat hissed and he squeezed her shoulder as a simple reminder to keep herself under control. She relented but she was not pleased, his bracelet made certain he knew that fact.

Kat was right, the eldritch he killed had been a folk. A being with a firmer connection to the equilibrium, which somehow granted them a set of power. The one laying dead at his feet was a good example. The entire fight she had used that gift to keep their coal practically useless. Smothering the flames and leaving them harmless the moment they came within her radius. It was the reason he had to use an arrow.

The Lioness shot Garen a look, what did he do now? "You shouldn't modify your speech for him." She said her eyes narrowing at Garen. He stifled a sigh, a good deed never seemed to go unpunished.

Kat hissed crossing her arms and turning away in a huff, some of that anger now directed at him. The lioness glared at him like it was his fault! Aspects he expected this childishness from Kat, but the lioness was a forsaken leader, he expected some maturity.

"A word of advice lioness. A leader should worry more about the men in her care, than the well-being of the people trying to kill her."

He could have sworn she was considering placing a lump of coal between his eyes. "I wouldn't expect you to understand." Oh, he understood, he didn't like killing an eldritch of any kind, the poor creatures didn't ask for any of this. How was this not getting through that bushel of hair? You couldn't hesitate on the battlefield. He glanced towards Kat she was eyeing the lioness, who probably hadn't stopped since the woman appeared. He was just glad she hadn't bared her fangs. He'd keep his hand on her shoulder, not that he didn't trust her, best to just be safe.

Lioness Odila shook her head and walked past him, turning her attention to the corpse. Setting the body to be cremated. He should have stopped her, but what would be the point? Folk eldritch were valuable, far less profitable than a live one—Not that Garen would ever sell a live folk—but they tended to fetch a good price. Besides, what did he owe her? All he knew of this eldritch was she worked hard attempting to kill him, and more importantly his Kat.

What held him back now? It wasn't the lioness, she was in all honesty a fool. He could easily get a few rubes and she would be handled. It wasn't the vine seeping out of the corpse's jaw, that parasite would be eradicated after the body had been embalmed. It wasn't battle fatigue. True, he could go without any more killing today, but that answer felt too easy, too convenient. He could lie and say he was afraid Kat would be harmed, but they lionized eldritch so much. He was certain she would be able to kill half of them before one gathered the nerve to retaliate. Why was he hesitating?

"It's perfectly understandable." That voice forced Garen to place his hand around Kat, making certain she wouldn't run away. "You're weak." Nylah said, strolling towards the slain eldritch. "You also seem unable to keep to your word." She said looking at the lioness but he was certain the words were directed at him. If she wanted the forsaken corpse so much she could take it herself.

"I'd rather die than let you get your hands on this girl!" Odila hissed, Lighters stirring to life, all pointed at Nylah meaning they were pointed a bit too close to him and Kat.

Garen slipped his hand-torch free from his holster, Kat bared her fangs and let out a low hiss. "If anyone fires, take flight." Garen whispered he would have ordered her to take flight right now. If he didn't believe the sudden movement would set off one of the multiple lighters trained towards him.

"A tempting offer," Nylah said, looking unconcerned at the weapons pointed at her. "But fortunately for you, I keep to my promises." Translation, she couldn't handle all these men and their lioness. He could count on a hand the number of margraves who actually kept to their words. Aspects, he'd be able to make that count missing two of his fingers. Not that he complained, a fight would have certainly ended in his death. Hopefully, Kat would have been able to get away, but he had little doubt she would needlessly throw away her life to avenge him.

"Are you trying to shortchange me Blacklake?" Now that voice... that voice made him want to run for everything he was worth. Lady Kailyn ex Grimblossom strolled casually toward them. The glow of her royal crimson eyes sent a shiver down his back. It was like being appraised by a hawk ready to swoop, he was finally able to ease a bit when she turned her attention from him.

"Of course not Lady Kailyn." Nylah said, lacing her fingers together, turning her back on the Lioness to face their collective master. "I merely wished to adhere to my oath."

"What of your oath to serve me?" Lady Kailyn said, "Are you intending to keep to that?"

"Of course my lady." Nylah said, her voice so placating that Garen would have wagered a few pits she'd fall to her knees next.

"So if I were to order you to slaughter each and every one of them, would you?"

"Are you giving me that order?" Nylah asked after a slight hesitation.

"I don't know... Am I?" She asked turning her gaze towards Lioness Odila.

"We're relocating with the Chosen." She ordered to her men, "This isn't over graverobber."

Garen let out a sigh holstering his hand-torch, thankfully that did not escalate.

"A shame." Lady Kailyn said loud enough for the retreating lioness to hear, "She would have made a splendid ghoul, don't you think?"

Nylah shook her head, "I doubt we'd even be able to gleam anything useful out of her." Nylah said, playing along with Lady Kailyn.

Garen did not need an order to know what was expected next, taking up the corpse he placed the poor girl on her back. He nearly made a fool of himself dropping the body to the ground. He had to keep in mind the new wound on his shoulder. Walking behind both necromancers making certain to keep a steady pace. Kat followed keeping a timid pace at his side.

...

"What's on your mind?" Lady Kailyn said.

"My Lady?" Nylah said, trying to keep from looking at Lady Kailyn.

"You have a question on your tongue, hurry up and speak it."

"I wouldn't want to bother you with my meager thoughts my-"

"If you didn't you wouldn't be so noisy would you?" Lady Kailyn interrupted. "Besides, you're louder than those obnoxious bells," By loud she referred to a sense some necromancers possessed, some way to listen to thoughts? At least that's how he understood it from what little he heard from Lady Kailyn. "Now elaborate."

"Your muse, the name you had for her, was that intentional?" 

"My muse?" Lady Kailyn said and on what looked like a reflex her muse appeared behind her. Like a statue brought to life cloaked in aether. Taking on the form of what Garen knew as the warrior, which lacked the animated armor look Nylah's muse possessed. "Oh right, It's just a loaner until I finally come into myself." Lady Kailyn flexed her fingers before making them into a fist. Her muse mimicked the motion as if it was a reflection. "I did not know you two were close."

"I'm confident you know enough about us." Nylah said, Garen didn't, nor did he care.

"Would you like to speak with her?"

Garen noticed the slight slip in Nylah's composure, "Do I have a choice?"

Lady Kailyn smiled, then closed her eyes. She then shivered and curled, her knees shaking as she fell forward. Garen rushed to grab her before she hit the floor. "Mistress are you-,"

"She's fine, ranger." Nylah said, Garen ignored the mild crack in her voice, ignoring that kind of thing was what kept you alive when working for a margrave. He focused on keeping his mistress stable.

Kat went for the corpse he had dropped, placing it on her back as he showed her. /She shouldn't have to handle that./ He held back his distaste, just because Kat was blatant with her emotions didn't mean he needed to broadcast his feelings on everything.

Lady Kailyn opened her eyes, that ruby-red gaze returning his own. "T-thank you, Garen." That was odd, he didn't even know the Baron knew his name. It was always 'mortal', or 'mouse.' "I did not mean to worry you."

"N-Nylah... It's been so long, how are you doing."

"Gaja? Aspects Is that really you?" All sense of authority faded from the lichpin.

"Who else would I be?" She said with a laugh that felt forced to Garen, she lifted off him rising to her feet. "Kailyn said some interesting things, I didn't think you'd worry about me."

"I didn't." Nylah said, Garen doubted Lady Kailyn... Lady Gaja? His mistress would be foolish enough to believe her. "I was just curious about-,"

"You want to know... How it is don't you?"

Nylah nodded.

"It is wonderful." Lady Kailyn said lacing her fingers together, "A bliss I don't think I can live without. Aspects Nylah, I don't feel it at all; my fear, my inadequacies, my weaknesses. She chased them all away!"

"It doesn't get cramped up there?" /No more cramped than you'd be with your muse./ Garen thought. "How often are you able to gain control?"

"It's not two minds up here, it's... I mean to even think I could overpower an ancestor. Talking to you, like this right now... Aspects it reminds me of pretending with my sister."

"You don't have a sister." Nylah said, the edge in her voice slipping through the cracks of her facade.

"Oh... Right, Baron Kailyn, we-, she was close...with her, I believe she sees some of her in you."

"Oh, Joy." Nylah said, dryly.

"You don't need to fear for me." She continued to bask. "Baron Kailyn has already provided me with so many answers. Each time she regains more of ourselves, I begin to see more and more, I can recall events I could only glimpse when consulting a skull before. My weaving has grown much stronger." She said, her muse clasping her hands lacing them together.

Both she and her muse continued to talk in unison, "I've even been able to see you, how you used to be. You have nothing to fear, the Blacklake has many allies, and that feeling extends past your... crippling. You will make a great companion for one of them, I'm certain."

"I wait with bated breath." Garen did not know if Lady Kailyn was failing to notice her improper speech or did she just choose to pay it no mind. He would have put his money on the former.

"I am so sorry you will never experience such... Power. But if we can count one blessing, it would be you will never be burdened with the pain of such a loss."

Nylah nodded, "We can count our blessings." She said still wearing that tight smile.

A cortex made its way toward the two of them, producing a static-like sound. The two necromancers looked at the skull, then looked at one another. "Looks like we have a few manes to sheer." Lady Kailyn said with a smile.

"Ah, there's Lady Kailyn." Nylah said.

Lady Kailyn let out a giggle, "She never left."

...

They met up with the other group led by the man Odila called chosen, he was speaking among his men on a subject Garen had no basis to figure out. Near him was the weird ranger they had called a knight and the creature that stayed at his side.

The creature with the knight was not an eldritch piloting a flora like Kat, no that would be somewhat reasonable. This was an animal of some sort, he was certain... Maybe 85% certain. It emitted aether just the same way a muse would have.

It looked closest to a lion, its mane an assortment of dagger blades. Its spine was weird, he had seen the creature extend itself and twist like it was a pretzel. It's tail a diamond pendulum, he still had no idea what it was used for, maybe just aesthetic? Whatever it was, one thing was certain, the liches did not like it one bit. Lady Kailyn was better at keeping her composure, but Nylah looked likely to attack it at any moment.

"That went well." Keegan said, noticing their approach. Each one of them wore that weird mouthpiece that covered the bottom half of their mouths. All save Keegan and the genie their warden possessed wore those garish mouthpieces.

"Yes. Your living corpses were adequate." Lady Kailyn said.

Three women each armed with an oversized bell on their side lifted to their feet, only stopping when Keegan held his hand out.  

"And your cadavers made perfect cover." He let out a chuckle, "You've got Whisper on edge." Whisper was his non-muse, apparently, it was improper to call her a muse. Even if it acted like a muse, a weird muse, but muse nonetheless. "As much as I'd like to cultivate this olive branch. Where do we go now? Are we friends or foes?"

"That is a good question." Lady Kailyn said, her finger on her chin. "I'd consider you a foe, but I've had far too many friends poach from me." She said looking up, the bodies strummed up and bound by vines. Hidden between the leaves of the tree, now that it was pointed out, how did Garen not notice them? They looked so obvious now.

"Oh?" Keegan said innocently, "I figured it was one of those corpse trees I've heard so much about."

Nylah chuckled, actually chuckled. "A noosemaker would be far too useful to waste here." She said, Garen was glad to be as far away from them as possible, forsaken trees.

"Are you breaking our agreement?" Lady Odila said, her voice enough to cut what little levity was in the area.

"No ma'am." Keegan said with that knowing smile like the world was playing a grand joke only he knew about. "You have access to all corpses felled. As you can see, these men are perfectly upright.

"And still ripening it would appear." Nylah added, getting a look from Lady Kailyn.

Lady Kailyn looked towards the tree, then looked to Nylah. She nodded, and pointed to one of the strapped bodies. Lightning escaped Nylah's fingertips weaving itself on the corpse. The body began to glow, a soft light emitting from it.

The corpse began pulling down, bending the limb it was tied to. Keegan looked at the sight, the smile softening, but still present on his face. His companions were not as jovial, as he was. Gazing at the spectacle with morbid anticipation.

The limb snapped, it and the bodies fell with a thud. A few rubes acting as Lady Kailyn's entourage making their way to grab the fallen bodies like harvest ghouls. "I have to thank you for this game chosen." Nylah said, grinning.

"You-" The warden began only to stop when Keegan outstretched his hand.

"You can't blame us for trying." The chosen said.

"I guess I can not." Lady Kailyn said.

"On my question again, are we friends or foes?"

"I think I'd let my Lichpin decide."

That got Nylah's attention, the weave she was about to unleash fading away. She was quick to compose herself. "My lady, it would be a gross misstep to supersede your-"

"Then quit and follow my orders."

"Yes ma'am." Nylah said, turning towards Keegan. Garen reached for his knife, ready to pull the blade free at any moment, he had an idea where this was going. "You fought honorably chosen," She began, the tension weighing at him as much as it appeared to unsettle the chosen's men. Already they readied their arms. "If you keep to the words of our agreement you can leave."

Garen's knife nearly slipped from his fingertips, Keegan wore the same expression Garen assumed was on his face.

"I will admit, I did not expect that."

"Are you disappointed chosen?" Nylah asked, aspects had she made this choice only to mess with everyone?

"Of course not. Whisper on the other hand makes a good point. How can we trust you?"

"Whisper should be able to ask her own questions." She said, shooting a scornful glare at the nothingness around his shoulder. Could she see the non-muse? "It's amusing you have the gall to ask considering." She said, looking at the men strapped to the tree like fruit. "You have been allowed to keep that abomination, haven't you?" Nylah gestured towards the lion-thing that acted as a companion for Keegan's knight. "I figured that would be a gesture of goodwill. Yet you still quibble, if you want a fight you should just come out and say it."

"Very well, if you are being truthful, we will honor your request." Keegan said, with a bow. "Blissful Ordic if you wouldn't mind?"

The lion, aspect-lion. Blissful was it? Let out a low growl.

He shrugged, "You're just going to encourage her to rip off every limb."

Blissful Lifted to its feet, stretching before extending itself, its torso extending and raising its top half to the limbs. One by one bodies dropped like fruit, thudding to the ground. His men and their female captains murmured among one another.

"Lioness Odila," Keegan said, "Let the others know, we move-,"

"You're not going to let them keep our men, my men?" Odila said, she was obviously hungry for a fight.

"If not for our guest I would say a lot more of our men would have ended up dead." Keegan said, easier than Garen would have if he was in his position. "Besides, I had my fill of death today."

"The men will not-,"

"I was certain you led your men, not the other way around." He turned his back on everyone and left the lioness and his knight with them.

Odila took a moment to give them one more glare before muttering something offhand and made her exit.

"That was unnecessarily generous of you." Lady Kailyn said, with a smile nowhere near her cheeks.

"It had nothing to do with kindness, my lady. I merely thought this would be best for you tactically. Any further conflict would have resulted in an expenditure of bodies that would make this endeavor counterproductive." Counterproductive? What about stopping the towns near these bastards from being slaughtered?

"That would not be a problem if you merely embraced your birthright." Lady Kailyn had a point, if Nylah was less stingy with that power, they would have less to deal with. Usually when two as prestigious as Lady Kailyn and Nylah worked together they did not lack for numbers. The problem usually became a fight over bodies, both barons scooping the bodies up as soon as they fell.

Instead, she preferred the premade embalmed. No, she solely used them, the rubes were tools the barons lorded over the more common-born necromancers. Shambling horrors are easy to create and easier to command. With them, a baron could easily outnumber a common—as common as one could be—necromancer. Who could only use embalmed.

Was not using them some part of some margrave game he did not want to know anything about?

"Of course, my lady, forgive my-,"

"I will forgive your mediocrity if you answer why you truly let them leave."

Nylah's hesitation began to grate at Garen, yep, some margrave game no doubt. He only hoped the maneuvering kept him far out of reach. "It was because we made an oath," She finally answered. "I don't like going back on my word."

"They would not hesitate to break one with you if it benefits them. They did not hesitate." She gestured towards the tree overhead.

"All the more reason for me to keep my word then."

"Would you kill them if I ordered it?"

"Are you ordering me to kill them, Lady Kailyn?" Her tone was not one any sane person would use when speaking to a baron, even a margrave. Garen took a cautious step back.

"Merely asking a question, that I expect answered. If I ordered you to kill them, would you follow through?"

"I would ask my lady if she wanted them dead, why did she leave the choice in the hands of a weapon?"

Garen took another equally cautious, much larger step back. He was all too aware of his baron's anger and he had no intention of being caught in the crossfire.

Instead, she just laughed. "Broken or not, It's good to see some things haven't changed." Nylah wore the confusion he felt. "You've always got distracted whenever you found a toy you liked. It's been your downfall on more than one occasion."

"I will keep that in mind, my lady." Garen did not like the way she eyed Kat before bowing to Lady Kailyn.

...

Lady Kailyn had made off to marshal the remains of her forces, leaving him and Nylah to gather the bodies. She sat against the tree she had pulled at, her arms crossed. A handful of embalmed, ghouls gathered the corpses, placing them on a wagon.

They ignored any cultist corpse, the fruit had taken too much of them. Vines erupting from bodies wriggling like worms in a... well, carcass. Instead, those bodies made up little piles outside the beaten path. They were gathered by Lady Kailyn's rubes and taken further ahead, to where Lady Kailyn was. Garen worked among the corpses taking bodies and tossing them in the proper position.

"Why do you use her? A proper embalmed would make a much better companion." She said, throwing a smile Garen didn't like at Kat.

"Not everyone knows how to use a heart."

"They are remarkably easy to learn, much easier than that." She said, looking at the bracelet on his wrist.

"I trust Kat with my life."

"I have no doubt, but the question should be does she trust you?"

"What kind of question is that! Of course, I tru-" Kat stopped the moment Garen gripped his armband and sent his displeasure through the bracelet. /Foolish girl!/ Was she trying to get them killed? Some necromancers, margraves in particular had a nasty habit of cleaving hardworking folk for being a tad too honest.

Nylah did not look slighted, though you couldn't tell a necromancer's emotion from their facial expressions, no that would be far too simple. "Kat was it? C'mere." Aspects.

Kat hesitantly cast a half glance at Garen, he nodded giving her permission.

Slowly she made her way toward Nylah. Garen forced himself to remain still when she reached for Kat. Calming a bit when it was to merely brushed her hand against Kat's face.

"She is a good one, a fine companion." She complimented, Garen couldn't help but grin at that "Did you raise her?"

"Yep." He said, easing a bit more now that he was reasonably certain she wouldn't be slitting their throats for some petty reason. She even got Kat to purr.

"You raised her well."

"Thank you, Margrave." He said, not because he felt he had accomplished anything here. He did raise Kat, but that wasn't such an accomplishment. Kat would have been Kat no matter what, he just attempted to facilitate the best outcome. He did no more than a pot does for a flower.

"A shame she is wasted on this." Kat bristled at that comment, pulling her maw back to bare her fangs. "Oh no, little kitten it's not your fault." She said, her voice still never changing in tone, "I place this blame on your owner." That pulled another hiss from Kat. "A loyal one at that. I assume she'd be a hassle if I bought her." She said, looking him in the eye.

"I'm sorry Lichpin," Being all proper did a lot of good when you were about to do something as stupid as deny a margrave. He noticed she liked being called that over the other title. That type of courtesy could have a man walking with only one hand missing if he was lucky. "But she isn't for sale." Kat sent her fear through the bracelet, she always got like this when being sold was brought up.

"Oh, don't be like that, I don't know how these go... What would you suggest for one?" She said, putting her hand on her chin. Garen stifled a sigh, she ignored his refusal and kept pushing. That was better than what he feared but still not what he wished. How was he going to get out of this?

Before Garen could respond Kat interrupted, "I'm not for sale!" He supposed he lived an alright life. 

That got a chuckle from Nylah, "My mistake, I will push no more."

"You two seem to be enjoying yourselves." Lady Kailyn's voice escaped the floating cortex. Her sudden appearance appeared to frighten Nylah as much as it horrified him. "I want stragglers found." She said. Turning to Nylah, she conveyed her orders in that non-language all weavers appeared to know.

Both he and Nylah nodded, that was all Kat needed. She leapt to the air her body bending and snapping, folding into a bird. 'Only keep an eye,' He spoke wordlessly through the bangle he wore, 'Do not engage.'

A sensation returned, affirming his orders, Nylah made her leave going to perform whatever Lady Kailyn had ordered of her. Leaving him with her embalmed and the rubes animated by Lady Kailyn.

...

"You handle yourself well." Chosen Keegan said, appearing seemingly out of nowhere, propping his farglave on his shoulder, "Don't let Odila get to you. She's just been a bit on edge."

"Can't blame her." Garen said, he didn't fear the man attempting to spirit away the bodies, Keegan had been a trustworthy person so far. Save that tree stunt, but otherwise trustworthy. "Still stupid, but can't blame her." He said, taking another man who had fallen in the fighting. Aspects he looked so young.

"I'd say she's doing pretty well," He said, stepping out of the path of a rube, it paid him no mind. Lady Kailyn's rubes had been made with instructions to ignore the Lions. A fact he had noticed and appeared to be exploiting. "Considering that being her brother and everything."

Garen let the body fall to the floor, quickly pulling it from the ground again, to keep it out of the notice of said rubes. He ignored the wound on his shoulder biting at him again. He looked at the corpse in its face, he could kind of see a resemblance, maybe.

/Aspects./ Who sent their kin into battle? Who led their brother to his death? Well, Garen would, in a heartbeat. Put him on the front lines crush the skull, and sleep like a baby the next night, but that was beside the point. "You can't expect me to get myself in trouble because of that."

"I'm not expecting anything." He said casually, leaning against a tree. "Just letting you know."

"Well keep that to yourself, I have more than enough burdens as it is." Garen was able to make a few steps before he found himself asking, "Did you know him?"

"Looking to take on a few more burdens are we?"

"I never liked a job half finished." Garen shrugged, he'd have to remember to stop doing that, at least until his shoulder got a bit better.

"Only what Odila told me. You considered my offer?"

"I have." It was a tempting offer, but one he couldn't take. Not only did he fear they would take Kat from him, but he also couldn't leave the other eldritch in the hands of his family, Cornelia would just sell them off, and Mugen, he didn't even want to think what would happen if they fell into Mugen's hands. "But I'll have to decline, unfortunately."

Keegan nodded, "Have you let Kat know of my offer?"

"I have." She declined so vehemently, he was afraid she was going to rip Garen's throat out after he finished laying the offer on the table. "She'd prefer to stay here."

He heaved the body, keeping it on his back. He had to hold it awkwardly to stop it from irritating his injury. Garen made certain not to look the fool's vacant stare gaze at him. It's not his fault the Lions send their kin to slaughter.

Keegan paid special attention to how Garen handled the corpse, or more importantly, how the undead reacted to his actions. Still trying to learn as much as he could from them no doubt.

"Not certain how much more you can learn from them."

He kept his face locked in a smile. Aspects he was just as bad as a necromancer. "Let her know the offer is always on the table." He said, forcing himself to keep his attention off the corpse, his lioness' brother.

"I will." Garen thought more of that was going to come to a head, honestly, he didn't know what to make of this chosen. "Figured you'd take more umbrage with that." Or the fact he was handling the remains of someone he knew.

Keegan shook his head, "Getting upset is Whisper's job." Right, his non-muse, he still couldn't quite peg that one. She was like a muse in some factors and completely broke the rules in others. Yet he would have been the wrong person to ask how muses work. He barely knew how the aspects worked. "Besides, I can trust she's ok in your hands at least."

"Fair enough." He said, unconsciously pulling at the wound on his shoulder again.

"How bad?"

"I'll manage."

Keegan extended his hand and light began to build on his fingertips. "It's best not to," Garen said pulling away. "You'd be better served saving that for your own."

"I'll keep that in mind." He said, he didn't put his forsaken hand away. Instead, the light reached out to his wounds like it was a branch, and Keegan was quicksand it had to escape. "It won't work unless you allow it."

"I already said no, it's not that bad."

"You need to stay well, if not for yourself, then for that girl." He said, the jovialness gone in the blink of an eye. "Don't let your pride get in the way." Reluctantly Garen accepted and felt a rush, the sweet nectar of whatever he allowed reinvigorating him, recharging him! Then it was gone.

Not that feeling, the heady rush of what happened stayed with him. He felt he could even take on the margrave herself with it at his back. No, the wound he had was completely removed, as if it had never happened. "Amazing." He said, pressing his hand against the newly mended skin.

Was this how it was like for a weaver to knit themselves? No, even that left bruise that needed to heal with time. "And you can do this for anyone?"

"Anyone willing."

"Aspects..." Maybe there was a reason they sent more than corpses out on the field if they could easily restore the wounds like this. Could they bring their own back to life? If they could wanting the bodies back would take on a different meaning. It also brought a new meaning to living corpses. Garen couldn't help but chuckle at that.

"Listen..." Garen said, what was he thinking? "There's a hooked tree at the edge of this forest. An opening at the base is wide enough to stuff a body. I can leave this one in there for you."

"Sounds a bit dangerous." Keegan said, scratching at his chin. Poaching from a baron? It was more than a bit.

"I'll live." It wouldn't have been his first time, "I don't like being left owing someone." At that, Keegan shot him an unexpected look. Pity? Was he really that worried for his well-being?

"I'm certain Lioness Odila will appreciate it."

...

Waves of bodies littered the ground, rubes continuing to pile up new bodies. It was hard to believe that these marauders were trying to kill him moments ago. It was harder to believe they were once townsfolk going about their daily lives just like any other in many of the towns neighboring it.

This madness was unfortunately more common than anyone would like to admit. Harbingers and heralds arriving, preaching a twisted gospel. In the end, they would convince father to cast away son, brother to kill brother, friends to turn against one another, all to appease their new demagogue. In the end, all that mattered was the cult, all that mattered was that forsaken fruit.

The fruit made fighting them... difficult, even the most feeble beggar became on par with a grim warrunner.

Lady Kailyn's rubes marched like lines of ants, each dragging a body. Recently animated, each emitted red energy from their eye sockets. All under Lady Kailyn's direct command. One of her rubes lifted the eldritch, placing her in the wheel barrel with the good corpses. A folk eldritch was worth the extra effort of purging the fruit no doubt.

Garen fished his flask out of his pocket and drank freely. The rush of whatever the chosen had done to him was still present on his back. He tried to give it as little attention as possible, not wanting to draw the notice of either necromancer. He had no idea what their response would be if they learned he accepted the mending.

"What do you think of them?" Lady Kailyn asked, walking alongside Nylah.

"They fought well, for living corpses at least. It's a shame a certain few still breathe." She was referring to the warden they had with them no doubt. She tried her hardest to appear unconcerned, which considering she was a lichpin, appeared convincing enough. But when you spent enough time around them you began to see their real thoughts.

"Have heart Nylah, the day is far from over."

"Do you honestly believe they would be dumb enough to attack us?"

Lady Kailyn shrugged, "The only thing predictable about these lions is how eagerly they jump to err."

"They would be further cowed if you had assisted me in demonstrating our powers." Nylah remained silent at Lady Kailyn's castigation. "Why do you refuse your birthright?"

"It seemed unnecessary my muse and the embalmed you graciously provided proved suitable."

"I understand, you're afraid." Lady Kailyn took a consoling tone that did not fit her at all. "Afraid that this will be the extent of your capability. But have heart, you are still of use to us."

"You are too kind, Lady Kailyn." Nylah bowed, Garen was certain he heard a tightness in her words. "It is reassuring to know I am still needed."

"A shame most of them are unusable." Lady Kailyn said, pressing her heel against one of the bodies. "Is there anyone who hasn't consumed that forsaken fruit?" Garen thanked every aspect that crossed his mind, he didn't need to face that thing.

"I'm impressed they were able to coerce some of my children to join them." She said, kneeling down to get a better look at the grim. His eyes were glazed over, vines from that wretched fruit creeping out of his splayed mouth.

"How much do you remember of my work?" She asked, her muse casually snatching the vine, pulling in an attempt to rip it out of the body. Apparently, those vines made bodies much harder to animate. Garen didn't even pretend to know, why or how. Considering Lady Kailyn seemed to have no problem at all animating them. All he knew for certain, cultists sold far less and were fought at a loss.

"Not much, I do not get memories anymore."

"Of course." Lady Kailyn said, the tone similar to a soldier speaking to a comrade who would never walk again. "Surely you were taught of your lineage?"

"There is a lot to learn my lady."

"I can think of no better time." Lady Kailyn's eyes gleamed a crimson red, a smog of energy emitted from her. Each corpse found itself engulfed with and infused with the crimson smog.

"Rise." Lady Kailyn said, the bodies stumbling to their feet, each one radiating the same hue of red Lady Kailyn's eyes produced. "Go." Each corpse stumbled slowly toward the location Lady Kailyn indicated. Off to scavenge the remaining bodies. 

"I made them you know, the grim."

"I have been made aware, on multiple occasions." Nylah responded, sounding like a child being forced to attend her lessons.

"It's a shame, they had so much potential, and now they are reduced to this." She said, her foot firmly pressed on the body she was looking over. It looked pathetic trying to wriggle out of her grasp. "I guess it is marginally better than those mongrels that joined that little upstart. It's the one thing I guess I should be thankful to your master for."

"I will be certain to let him know." Nylah said.

...

Corpses piled on top of one another looking like a mountain, each one sprouting the vines of that fruit. Some twining together, others pulling away attempting to escape. Men, women, and even children all mixed together. They made a hill shorter than he feared, but far larger than he hoped. Empty eyes looked aimlessly, vines sprouting out of their bodies cultivating a final taunt to any who witnessed.

"This is all of them?"

Nylah nodded, pulling a stick from the ground and lighting it to make a torch.

"Wait." Lady Kailyn said before Nylah began the pyre. "Look at how they twist." She said, pointing at the wriggling foliage.

"They all twist," Nylah said with a dismissiveness Garen would have never dared.

"Yes, in a clockwise position, But these are moving counterclockwise. Give me a moment to get samples." Lady Kailyn said, her muse appearing above the one nearest her. Slowly it plucked vines free and one by one, it placed each in separate vials. Satisfied she tossed them to an embalmed, one Lady Kailyn constantly kept with her. It never fought, instead it kept a hold of her study materials. Multiple bags strapped on it, each containing the tools and materials Lady Kailyn needed to continue her study. 

Nylah made an exaggerated gesture making her feelings on the matter perfectly clear. "Finished?" Before she got an answer she brandished the torch once again.

"So eager, relax yourself, my child, take a look."

"What am I looking at?"

"They reach for the torch, so eagerly."

"They cook all the same." Nylah said.

"But, why did they reach? Obviously, this indicates a new variation."

"And you have your samples."

"Samples can only go so far with bodies I'd be able to accomplish so much more." /Or it would cause much more trouble than it's worth./ Garen was not going to allow this to get out of hand. Lady Kailyn had a routine, one that was easy to predict, he'd just need to slip in and let a lamp break accidentally. These things tend to happen, especially when the embalmed handled precious cargo. He'd done it before, he'd do it again.

But those other times were the finger of some important figure here, another babble there, or a body going missing. All of which unnoticeable to someone who owned as much as Lady Kailyn. He had never considered anything this suicidal.

Casually Nylah tossed the torch on the pile setting the bodies alight. Wind buffeted and sprung to life letting the inferno blaze higher, consuming the entirety of the bodies. Within moments the mountain became a funeral pyre. 

Lady Kailyn's muse seized Nylah by the throat, "I have tolerated your foolishness long enough girl."

Another muse appeared near Nylah, sweeping at Lady Kailyn's forcing it to retreat. Nylah massaged her neck, coughing lightly standing to her feet her own blade in her hand. "Apologies, Lady Kailyn my muse slipped." She said with mock regret.

"You dare rid me of my subjects?!"

"You are perfectly capable of doing that yourself Lyn."

"You dare-"

"Apparently I must. You still can't be trusted with yourself."

"I will gut-, Lyn?"

"I did nothing but protect you from yourself Kailyn! This is just like when you lost us the grim! Your need to use things you had no understanding of is what drove them away from us! They were such obedient tools but you just had to make more intelligent ones! Even this fool could guess where that madness leads!" She said, pointing her blade towards Garen, he did not need the attention.

"You were... taught more than you let-"

"Aspects I was there you blind buffoon!" Nylah's eyes gleamed a crimson ruby red. "Mekalev, Leveon, and I all warned you! This is the kind of behavior I expected from the mice. You promised each and every one of us and you betrayed us! Do you remember what happened last time? They still fight for Luxlight! You're not a half-weaned mouse, quit acting like it. We have fewer allies now, I won't be able to-, Oblivion's pull Lyn, can't you try being an adult for just one lifetime?" She dismissed her blade, grasping her arm firmly. "You have to look after me now." Then she fell to her knees, nursing her head.

Lady Kailyn swallowed, she actually swallowed. "When you put it that way..." She said, regaining her composure. "I guess there is a logic to your words. Not completely broken are we?"

"I... Get glimpses...." Nylah said, massaging the temple of her head.

...

"She still hadn't found anything?"

"No ma'am." Garen said, Kat was getting more and more restless.

"Give it another look, then you can call her back."

Garen nodded, 'One more.' He relyed, aspects she was not pleased. At least that margrave was leaving, his nerves could rest a tad easier. The fewer necromancers around him, the better. Lady Kailyn was more than bad enough.

"Is there... A reason you drank from that creature's insufferable chalice?" Lady Kailyn said, her voice stalling for a bit.

Aspect... So much for being discrete. "It... Just seemed right."

Lady Kailyn just flashed him that smile, "Do not fret mortal, in fact, this is pleasing. I've been meaning to study a warden's light more." Her muse appeared behind him, pressing her hand against his healed shoulder. "Gaja is also quite fond of you." She said, with a smile, he did not like. "But you still must make up for this betrayal. I know!" He had no idea if her excitement was fake or genuine, nor which would be better for him. "Information! Yes, I require you to keep an eye on the Blacklake for me, she has been attempting to avoid my notice. I wish to know why."

Garen swallowed the numerous arguments, such as how would he manage that? How would he stop her from killing him when, and she would, find out he was trailing her?

"Relax." She said brushing her hand against his shoulder, "Merely keep an eye on her, as she leaves. Make certain she doesn't go back on her word."

"Pardon my ignorance, madam, are you certain she would do that?" He said scratching his head, she was the one who pushed for this ceasefire.

"That vessel might have, but Blacklake is nothing if not predictable." She had a point there, her hatred for the matron's children had been the foundation of many tales between both clans. It was one reason he dreaded bringing Kat with him. "I have no doubt she is trying to find some way to get her hands on either chosen or knight. Besides she was right, I need to grow up for once..."

"She seemed more upset at the warden." Not that he could blame that, downright creepy how they kept weavers as pets.

"A craftsman is always insulted at the sight of shoddy instruments, this is no different. These jinn," She said the word clumsily, "Are nothing more than that. If she throws this away, it will be on that chosen's little compass, or the creature of that knight. Just tell me what foolishness she plans so I can ensure she does not make a fool of herself."

"Oh." She said as he turned to leave, "I wouldn't let her know about that." Her forsaken muse appeared out of nowhere and pressed at his healed shoulder. "She may kill you on sight if she learned you accepted that kindness."

...

He really needed to find a more stable source of employment. He was not getting paid enough to spy on a margrave known for her cruelty on the eldritch... And those who are friendly too eldritch. Lady Kailyn said to keep an eye on him, fortunately, she probably wouldn't send anything to ensure he was keeping an eye on the Blacklake.

Tumble around a little, make certain his tales are convincing enough, and if they weren't it wouldn't be that bad. After all, Lady Kailyn wanted to study his shoulder's... mending. Oh sure, she would punish him, a bit of labor here. 

He could worry about that later, right now he could just find a tree and relax. That lasted for all of four seconds when he heard rustling not too far away. Stopping himself from sighing, he crept closer making certain not to make noise.

"And why would you tell me this?" A voice asked, Garen assumed it was the chosen.

"Because I have more pressing matters," Garen had no doubt who owned that voice, unfortunately. "And you proved you are more than capable of handling the problem."

"Your kind isn't one for trusting."

"I trust you will follow your nature, chosen. But if you're that frightened, feel free to let innocent people be consumed by the nightwave."

"Fair point necromancer. It seems you've left me no choice."

Garen kept himself hidden as he heard the two depart, he would stay here for a few minutes until the coast was clear. 

Five minutes passed, and he figured he'd give it another five. Aspects he would probably give it a good half-hour before leaving his hiding spot. He was snapped from his hiding place, held in the grasp of a muse, her muse.

"I assume Kailyn sent you to keep an eye on me?" She asked with a slight tilt of her head. "She can be such a pain at times. You will not tell her of this, if I hear she learned of this I will return and take the familiar as recompense."

Garen swallowed his bile, well aware she could sense his anger, she smiled. He fell with a thud as she dismissed her muse. "Oh don't be like that. It's not my fault your mistress expects so much from you, or that you were found out. You're a clever person, I'm certain you'll find a way to get out of this."

"That whole glimpse, You called it? Was a fake, wasn't it?"

Nylah stopped for a moment, her muse appeared again, slamming him into a tree. ["How?"] Her muse hissed.

"You tend to notice a thing or two when you work for a baron."Garen said through strained breath, "When you spoke with Lady Kailyn's vessel the questions you asked made it clear you'd never experienced a glimpse before. The winds tipped me off of your power of empathy, you can control your emotions better than you let on, can you?"

Nylah looked him up and down, "You are wasted on Kailyn." She said, "You will not tell her of what you witnessed. I will not have you unravel this. Instead... Go to your master with this." She pulled a sheet of parchment free and wrote. Before folding it up having the wind carry it to him.

A simple glance told him it was about movements planned by Orhan, "Make certain to get rid of that when you memorized it."

"You certain about this?" Betraying one of her own to save her own skin?

"Nocta can take care of herself." Nylah said dismissively waving her hand. "More importantly this will appease your master and keep my plans intact."

He looked at the parchment studying what she offered, he could run off with this and return to his master with this. It was probably more than she expected him to bring back, and yet... He made a conscious effort not to massage his healed shoulder, not in front of her. "Depends. You planning to kill him?" As she opened her mouth to answer he added, "Here?"

Nylah flashed a smirk, "No. I do not intend to get the chosen killed."

"Yes." Garen said, giving the page another read before setting it alight until it was turned to ash. "I think this will be enough to appease my baron." At least he hoped it would.

0