Chapter Six
3k 20 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The currency of Erosis is denoted by three coins and three chips," Ragnan said. He placed three simple, round copper, silver, and gold coins on the table. Next to each, he set a square chip of the same material.

"It goes copper, silver, then gold. Ten coins to a chip, and ten chips to the next coin."

I picked up each form of currency and scanned them with Analyze.

"Fascinating!" I exclaimed after creating a gold chip. "By just holding it, I know that it's fake!"

"I thought that might be the case," Ragnan nodded. "The System regulates the world's currency, and as far as I'm aware, it's impossible to counterfeit. The enchantments are done in a way that nobody has been able to figure out."

"Welp. That's slightly disappointing." I said with a sigh. "I guess we'll be gathering funds the old-fashioned way then."

Elisia giggled. "We can't have things being too easy."

"Hmm." Ragnan hummed after a moment's thought. "This does make me curious. Is it only the currency enchantment that Synthesize can't replicate, or all enchantments? If only we had something enchanted to test with..."

"Uh... I do..." Elisia said in a low voice.

"I may have... Uh, borrowed... A holy artifact or two from the church before we left..." She said sheepishly at Ragnan's questioning look.

"You what?!?" Ragnan gaped. "What were you planning on doing if you had gotten caught?"

"The quest to come here said we would be teleported once accepted. I could have used that to escape." Elisia huffed.

Ragnan sighed and wrapped his wife in his embrace. "That wouldn't work if you were killed. Please don't be so reckless in the future."

I smiled at the scene before me as the couple seemed to forget I was there.

A few moments later, the realization hit them, and they returned their attention back to me.

"Anyway! I have two artifacts from the church." Elisia began as she placed two items on the table between us. "I don't know what they do, though. They were in an old building on the edge of the church property, so they're probably not any good."

Ragnan picked up the first item and began to inspect it.

It was a rod about a foot long and an inch thick, made of silvery blue metal. Except for a portion in the middle, about the width of a hand, the length of the rod was covered in runic engravings filled with gold.

"Well, this should be a Medical Diviner," Ragnan said after a few minutes, placing the diviner back on the table. "Honestly, I'm surprised there was one at the church, even in a junk shed. These haven't been used in hundreds of years."

 Elisia tilted her head, confused. "Hundreds of years? Is it worthless enough that they actually forgot they had one lying around? It has to be worth something. It's made of mithril, isn't it?"

"Probably. You know the church doesn't hurt for resources, even mithril." Ragnan said with a chuckle. "These were some of the first prototypes for the church's current healing artifacts. They do an excellent job of determining the state of one's health, too good of a job, actually. Their main problem is that they provide too much information, overwhelming the mind of the one using it."

"That... That actually sounds like something a synthorg wouldn't have any issues with." I said. "My coprocessor is excellent at sifting through massive amounts of data."

The scholar blinked. "Ah, that's right! You're in a unique position to put these diviners to good use! The current medical tools the church makes are heavily filtered down and are known to miss things, something you shouldn't have any problem with!"

I picked up the diviner and used Analyze on it.

"Do you know what the other item is?" I asked.

Ragnan frowned as he looked over the other item.

The second item Elisia brought was a small disk, a few inches wide, made of the same material. It had the same gold-filled engravings as the rod, with a slight depression on the center of one side.

"I'm not sure what this is. It definitely originates from the church, but I'll have to do further research on their artifacts to determine its purpose." Ragnan said with his frown deepening.

He sighed and handed the disk to me. "For now, you should scan it with your skill and keep it safe in your storage."

I shrugged and used Analyze before sliding the disk between my breasts into my pocket dimension.

Looking back to the Medical Diviner, I sighed. "The enchantments on the money really are in a completely different league."

"I can't know for sure without trying, but I'm fairly certain I can duplicate these artifacts," I said with a shrug. "I'm certain the enchantments are tied into the gold filling the engravings. The gold is packed full of mana, though, and it'll take me a good bit of experimentation to figure out enough to duplicate it."

"That's incredible. Even if you'd have to do some research, being able to duplicate an enchanted artifact with only a touch!" Ragnan exclaimed and began to ramble under his breath.

"So... How do I use this thing?" I asked after a moment, holding up the diviner. Making sure to interrupt before he could gain too much momentum.

"Hold it from the center, unmarked portion, and inject your mana into it." The orc explained.

I did as instructed and immediately felt a wave of mana flow out of the diviner. It expanded outward for roughly five feet and returned. The whole process took only a second.

I gasped when the mana returned. It brought with it an incredible amount of information that flooded my mind.

"Holy shit!" I exclaimed. "No wonder the church doesn't use this anymore. It checks everyone within a five-foot radius, including the user!"

Luckily my theory held true, and my coprocessor easily handled the influx of information.

I began looking over the information, amazed at the level of detail.

"Wow, this scans everything do-" I stopped abruptly and turned to Ragnan with a frown.

"What does this world know about cancer?" I asked while frantically double and triple-checking what I was seeing.

"Cancer? That name is sometimes used in our literature to describe something that destroys everything in its path." He answered with a contemplative frown. "As far as I know, it's not used medically."

"Fuck!" I cursed. "On my planet, cancer was the name of a medical condition where a tumor occurs inside one's body. If untreated, it eventually spreads and shuts down the body."

"Ah! I believe that's what we call silent death. It's a vicious ailment that is rarely caught and usually causes sudden death. Large masses are found throughout the bodies of th-" He froze, and the color drained from his face. "Please don't tell me what I think you're about to tell me."

"It seems like the presence of mana makes the people of this world more resilient. Cancer was rarely a silent or sudden killer where I'm from." I said with a frown. "You said that it's rarely caught. Has magic been able to cure it?"

Ragnan shook his head. "No, it's left the church baffled. Magic detects the growths as a natural part of the body and won't affect them."

I let out a long string of expletives and began to pace.

"Okay. So this is a problem..." I explained as I tried to come up with a solution. "I'm going to be blunt. Elisia has cancer, and it's progressed incredibly far. You'd have been dead a long time ago on Earth."

I began mumbling frantically as I paced. "Even if my magic could remove it, which I'm not sure it could, it's already so rooted in her body. Her organs are basically half tumor at this point!"

I can't lose one of the first people I found on this random ass planet. I've barely even had time to process the fact that Earth-

I was dragged out of my downward spiral when a pair of arms wrapped around me.

Elisia dragged me to the couch and sat me down beside her.

"I'm not going anywhere. I know you can figure something out. You are a Prime, after all!" Elisia said with a bright smile.

"Huh?" I asked intelligently.

"You were thinking out loud," Elisia said with a giggle.

Her expression turned serious. "From what I understand, I've not got very long to live unless we can figure out how to cure an illness that the church has spent hundreds of years failing to remedy?"

I nodded dully. "Yea. It's amazing that you're alive. It's even more amazing that you're still functioning normally and not in a crazy amount of pain."

The elven woman shrugged. "Well, things are a lot different here. Like you said, your world didn't have mana."

I looked her in the eyes and saw no fear or doubt.

"How are you not freaking out right now? I just told you that you could die at any moment..." I asked.

"Why would I freak out? I've got the smartest man I know and the Prime of a new, never seen before, race on my side. I'm positive that everything will be alright." She answered with certainty.

"She's got an iron will. She always has been, and likely always will be, stronger than me." Ragnan said, drawing my attention.

I found him reading through the book he had when they first came through the portal.

"I'm sure there's something we can do. And I have a feeling it has something to do with your race, so I'm reviewing my notes about what you told us." He explained before I could ask.

Notes? I didn't remember him taking any notes, but that's a question for future me.

I focused back on the current problem and went over what I knew, looking for the source of Ragnan's hunch.

---

Ragnan and one of my bodies spent the rest of the day and the entirety of the next looking for a solution.

My other body was with Elisia. She had been looking for a chance to pull me to the side and speak with me ever since I explained how I ended up on Erosis.

About half of the time was spent ensuring I had the knowledge I would need to live life now that I was a woman. Education on this world's basic knowledge and common sense occurred for the remainder.

"Ah!" Ragnan blurted out. "I think I've got it!"

He turned to me and asked, "You said your racial description describes synthorgs as humans augmented with synthetic materials, right?"

I nodded.

"Does the information that you were provided about synthorg technology and biology explain how the process works?"

I frowned and pulled up the data packet.

"It does. To merge themselves with the huge number of augmentations, the first synthorgs had to have their human bodies rebuilt, cell by cell..." I explained and trailed off.

"That's it!" I exclaimed and jumped up. "I have the blueprints for the machines. If we can adjust this process, we can rebuild her body without the tumors!"

I frowned. "It's designed to transform someone into a synthorg. I don't know if we'll have enough time for me to figure out how to modify it to only rebuild a body."

Elisia, who had come over after hearing my exclamation, spoke up. "Then don't change it. I don't mind becoming a synthorg. It'd be an honor, actually."

"Are you sure? I don't want you to have to give up such a big part of who you are."

Elisia nodded. "I'm sure. It's not really a big part of who I am. I'm not very attached to my elven heritage."

"I'd like to undergo the procedure as well. If you'd have me, that is." Ragnan said. "Like Elisia said, it'd be an honor to become one of the first members of the synthorg race."

I sighed. "Well, if you're both sure. I'd better get to work then... Luckily, you guys brought in a lot of metals and other materials that I analyzed. I have everything I need."

I walked over to the mana reactor with both my bodies.

"First order of business... I'll need to upgrade the reactor. With iron and steel, I can increase the size of the reactor by a lot, and with the other metals, I should be able to increase the efficiency as well." I mumbled to myself.

I worked continuously for the next 24 hours. Having two bodies capable of perfect teamwork made the process much faster.

I replaced the mana reactor with an array of five larger versions and an improved power management system. I wanted to ensure I'd have enough energy to fuel the process.

Upgrading the power system only took a few hours. The rest was spent on the conversion chamber.

"Wow... I have no idea what I'm looking at, but it looks amazing!" Elisia exclaimed as the three of us looked over the finished product.

The chamber was what you'd imagine for a generic sci-fi healing pod. A simple cot surrounded by monitoring panels. All the import bits were hidden by a series of metal panels underneath the cot.

I locked eyes with Elisia. "This is your last chance to back out. Are you sure you want to go through with this? We can find another way to cure you if not."

"I'm sure. Besides, from how you described it, I doubt we'd have enough time to find another solution." Elisia said with a warm smile.

She moved forward and lay down on the cot.

"I guess we'll get started then," I said and began working with the controls. "The process will take 24 hours, and you'll lose consciousness shortly after the enclosure comes up."

Elisia nodded. "See you guys soon!"

I initiated the process, and a metallic dome rose around her.

Ragnan and I watched through a small viewing window as Elisia quickly fell asleep.

Shortly after, a substance that looked like a liquid form of my conduits, with arcs of blue mana streaking through it, filled the chamber, obscuring our view.

Sorry about the long wait between chapters. My girlfriend and I have been having car troubles, and all my free time has been taken up with that.

49