Pilot of Chapter 1: Clear Skies
119 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adam's flame, prologue:

 

Before you read this story, it is important to realize that you too are a part of it. This world, although much different from the one you may know, includes you. You will constantly shift between perspectives, be pulled in and pushed out. The story will be as real as you choose it to be. If you allow it to affect you, you will see how you affect it. But if you don't, it will not be able to be more.

It's your choice.

 

Chapter 1: Clear Skies

(TWs: Death)

 

There's nothing but darkness. You feel like you're in a void. Suddenly you are able to open your eyes. You're in a grand bedroom; a child’s. You see a maid walk in.

“Adam, wake up!” The maid calls, “Your mother is calling you for breakfast!” A little boy, no older than five, emerges from the massive bed.

“I'm up, I'm up.” He rubs his eyes and yawns, “Tell her I'll be there in a minute, please. Thank you, Mrs. Sophia.”

“Of course, sweet child.” she pats his head and leaves. Adam gets out of bed, and changes into formal clothes. 

“Well I heard from mom Sam is coming over today, he might be here already. I'm gonna rush down to meet him!”

(Wait, he didn't open his mouth. Were those his thoughts?) Out of nowhere, you're pulled in towards Adam. Blackness. You open your eyes. You now see what Adam sees. No, you are him.

I ran towards the bedroom door; outside of it was a massive hallway leading to stairs. I bolted straight towards them to find my best friend's father at the end of them. “Mr. Kim! It's nice to see you! How've you been?”

Mr. Kim replied joyfully, “Hahaha, always polite this little one. I'm doing just fine, thank you.” He gave me a warm smile. “Sam's in the backyard if you want to have fun. It's a really nice day outside, not a cloud in sight. Oh and, don't worry about breakfast, your parents and I need to deal with some business matters beforehand.” Mr. Kim gave me a big hug.

“Thank you Mr. Kim!” I called out as I rushed towards the back door and burst outside. “Hey Sam!” I jumped and waved at him. Spotting me, he waved back. He was past the playground and all the way at our fort. I ran through the grass to the playground and ‘parkoured’ through it, making my way to Sam who was on the first floor of our fort; a three-floor wooden castle with a canopy and a flag on top. There were stairs to the second floor and a ladder led to the third. The first floor was filled with toys and objects to be used as props for our castle. The second floor was more of a hang-out space. It had outlets, a TV, and bean bags; basically, all a kid could ask for to have fun. The third floor was more of a rooftop, allowing us to look out and see the whole family property. At the very top, a pol stood carrying a flag as high as we could reach.

“Took ya long enough, stupid sleepy head.” Sam mocked. I stuck my tongue out at him and he did the same.

“So, what do you want to do today? Ooh! We should get our swords and play invaders!” I suggested excitedly.

“Okay, you get the castle and play defense; I get to play attack.”

“You know I never lose on defense.”

“Not today. Today I'm gonna win!” Sam picked up his wooden sword and chest plate, running out of the castle, I grabbed my gear as well. He stood waiting about fifty feet away. I climbed to the top of the castle—gearing up along the way—and set up the flag.

“AS SOON AS YOU GRAB THIS FLAG, YOU WIN. I WILL WAIT FIVE SECONDS FOR YOUR CHARGE, ARE YOU READY?” I shouted.

“AS READY AS EVER!” Sam shouted in response

“READY, SET, START!!!” 

Sam took off, sprinting at the castle door as I waited the usual five seconds. As soon as I finished counting to five, Sam was a little over halfway to the castle, so I rushed down to put some barriers in place. “God dang he's fast.” I only had time to place one at the ladder, then one at the front door before I saw Sam carefully approaching the front door—he knew if he simply rushed in, I would hit him while he was moving around the barrier. I waited there patiently, swinging my sword in front of the barrier every time Sam got close. “He'll never be able to get past this.” Suddenly, he ran forward and I tried to slash him, but he kicked the barrier and it knocked into me. I lost my footing for a second and he booked it to the right-side stairs. I went left. “Perfect! I set up the second barrier facing that side!” When I got up Sam was only a few steps ahead but he had to go around the barrier so we were at a standstill. 

Blackness. (Again really?) You open your eyes yet again and you are outside of Adam. Sam and Adam are surprisingly sparring with great technique; you couldn't really tell from when you were experiencing it from Adam’s perspective. Again, you are pulled in a direction, this time towards the mansion. You are taken to a library, massive in size. You notice Mr. Kim from earlier, and two unfamiliar people: a man and a woman. (Those are likely Adam's parents.)

“Charles, I'm begging you: you have to end the project. It may get thousands— maybe even tens of thousands— killed!” Adam's father said.

“Maybe, but the reward, Jacob! Think about it; we could change the world forever! This would break science as we know it— cancer, world hunger, global warming—all of these would never be threats to us again! Please tell me you see the good, Trisha?” Mr. Kim questioned Adam's mother.

“Charles, two of those issues were caused by us overusing resources, what happens if we use this in the same way? This could be something possibly beyond human understanding.” Trisha countered. (Wait, is this a new element they found?)

“COWARDS! THE BOTH OF YOU! If you won't help me, I'll do it on my own.” Charles glared at Jacob.

“Charles, I’m sorry. As a close friend, I can't let you.” Jacob looked grim.

“What are you gonna do sto-”

“I own the mine.” There was a long pause after this. “If you continue with this I'll have to ban you and your company from it, and I will defund the project entirely.” Charles stood there, shocked.

“Charles, please give it up. I don't want our friendships to be harmed over a matter that is much larger than we should have the power to decide.” Trisha looked extremely worried.

“You two have already done that, I'll show my way out.” He walked to the door then paused, “Sam may stay here for breakfast, please tell him something urgent came u-”*CRASH* The loud sound came from the sky and burning wood came through the roof of the library. Some landed on a bookshelf and it fell over onto Trisha and Jacob.

“TRISHA!!!” Jacob screamed. There was no response. , “ARE YOU OKAY, ARE YOU- NRGH!” His legs were crushed and he was in extreme pain. “CHARLES, PLEASE HELP, I THINK SHE'S UNCONSCIOUS!” Charles started to run to help, but he slowed to a stop. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!! C'MON PLEASE!”

“... I'm sorry Jacob; your legs are broken, she's unconscious—even if I wanted to do something, I couldn't…” Charles was in deep thought.

“WE STILL HAVE TO TRY, PLEASE SHE'S YOUR FRIEND AND MY- wait even if you wanted to!? Please don't tell me this is about the project!”

“... I was willing to sacrifice thousands for this project, it's only fair that it stays the same  even if it's my two closest friends. I'm sorry Jacob, it's for the greater good.” he started to leave the burning library.

“YOU BASTARD, GET BACK HERE!!!” More debris fell onto the bookshelf, one hitting Jacob on the head. The fire spread everywhere.

Darkness. You hear a clock ticking; you turn around and for the first time you see something in the darkness, a grandfather clock, stained with spots of blood from the middle down. The ticking continues and then stops. It starts ticking again but going counterclockwise getting faster, and faster, and clap. The clock is gone. You open your eyes. It's Adam and Sam again, they seem to still be play fighting. You turn around and there's no damage to the house or smoke. (Did I… Travel back in time!?) You are pulled into Adam again.

“You'll never get past this!” I yelled as I dashed and pushed Sam towards the stairs, hurrying up the ladder. From atop the ladder I reached my sword down. “It's over Anakin, I have the high ground!” He laughed in response.

“Oh yeah, Obi-wan? Let's see about that!” Sam charged at me and tried stabbing me, all of which I parried. *CRASH*. I stopped fighting back, got up, and looked at the mansion. Sam saw a chance and rushed up the ladder and got the flag, “Haha, I win!” 

“Sam loo-” I couldn't finish my sentence. It was too painful. I had already started crying. I know where that part of the house is. It's the library. Sam's dad was there. Mom and dad were there.

 

                         Lightning had struck.

Chapter 1… Fin

0