Unexpected
741 11 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unexpected


“Welcome to Phantom Gloom, Princesses.”

The entire crowd of people followed Haru's greeting to Vasati and me with a slight bow.

“This is what Phantom Gloom is now?” I said in awe.

The sheer number of people that were here genuinely surprised me. When I heard that Haru was helping expand the group I never expected it to become anything like this. This was the size of an army Battalion.

” So, this is what you have been up to while we’ve been gone…” Vasati smirked proudly and began to walk in the direction of Haru. Vasati then extended her hand to Haru to the surprise of everyone.

“Good work, Haru,” Vasati gave Haru what looked like her first genuine smile ever.

Haru then returned the favor and shook her hand.

“I just did what needed to be done.” She shrugged her shoulders proudly with a smile plastered with confidence.

“What an annoying Tsundere…” I thought to myself. Looking over to the right of Haru stood Rina who looked as if she had a nice growth spurt herself. She was now about the same height as Farru, and she was only 15.

“Rina how have you been!” I exclaimed as I wrapped her in a hug.

“Eira!”

“Well Claire and I have been attending the Lower Academy for the past 3 years together and we will be graduating soon,” Rina announced as she hugged me back.

“Congrats to you two then,” I said with a smile as I released her.

“The design of this place is stunning, Rina.” I was in awe of what Haru had done with the place.

“Yeah, I didn’t help much with the design of this place, but Haru and Claire did a great job,” Rina said as she gave me a thumbs-up.

What impressed me the most about this place was the interior design. It seemed to resemble a throne room from RPG-style video games I played in my past life. It was painted dark blue and black but also had a red carpet that extended to the platform.

This platform had a long oval table with 5 chairs spaced perfectly around it. While I hadn’t seen any of the other rooms here it seemed like Haru had done a great job with the money we entrusted her with.

The entire group was wearing the signature uniform that I had created when we first invented the party. A violet-style cloak and a fox mask, but there seemed to be some improvements. The violet cloak had a beautiful butterfly pattern and seemed to be enchanted with magic.

“So, you improved our uniform too?” I asked, starting to become curious.

“I made some minor adjustments,” Claire interjected.

“Ah, Claire you made the design?” I asked as I examined the cloak on a girl who was standing behind me.

“Yeah, it was hard to make enough for everyone, but it seems to have worked out.” She responded warmly.

“Let me show you around the place, Eira,” Haru announced as she took me by the arm and started to walk me out of the room, but before we could leave Vasati cut us off.

“Where are you going with my Eira?” She asked with a hint of jealousy in her voice.

“I’m about to give her a tour of the place. I can do one for you later.” Haru spoke the last sentence lazily.

“Why do we have to do it separately?” Vasati reasoned with an obvious fake smile on her face.

“We don’t have to, but I have a few questions I want to ask Eira, privately,” Haruka announced which seemed to shock everyone in the room.

“This is a perfect time for me to find out if she really is Haruka!” I thought.

“Fine then, I have some questions I want to ask you as well,” I announced and began to walk over in her direction.

“You have questions for me?" Haru raised an eyebrow in surprise at the sudden announcement pointing at herself in shock.

"I do," I admitted, my voice displaying a hint of uncertainty as it wavered slightly.

“Well then, let’s go.” Haru walked me out of the room, and we arrived in what looked to be a hallway.

“Eira…” I heard Vasati’s dejected voice right before I was walked out of the room by Haru.

“Sorry Vasati, but I’ll be right back. I just need to confirm one thing.” I thought to myself determinedly.  

"This is the lounge area," Haru announced, gesturing with a brief motion towards the spacious room on the right, its bright ambiance caught my attention as we strolled down the dimly lit hallway.

“This is…” As I looked through the door, I was amazed by how vast it was. It was decorated with multiple pieces of luxurious furniture.

"Yeah, I ensured we stayed within budget. We even have some funds left over from completing that quest," she replied, her tone tinged with a hint of satisfaction.

"So, this is the reason behind choosing the slums as the location," I remarked, surprised slightly by her intelligence.

"The cost of acquiring this land must have been minimal. In the slums, the thought of affording even a two-bedroom inn is a distant dream for most Inhumans," I pondered silently to myself.  

“Eira?” Haru waved in front of my face to get my attention.

“Haruk- I mean Haru, how did you manage to do this?” I asked with my face starting to burn with embarrassment knowing I almost said my old childhood friend's last name.

“Wait.” Haru’s face brightened for a moment before she continued.

“What did you just call me?” Haru’s face brimmed with curiosity.

“Haru,” I said trying to brush it off.

“Really?” She questioned me as she leaned down and stared at me eye to eye.

“Yeah,”

“Well ok then. I won’t force you to say it on your own.” Haru shrugged it off and walked past me.

“Where are we going?” I followed her down the hall.

“Upstairs,” She replied as we reached some stairs.

“Why are we going upstairs?” I quickly asked.

"Because I want to show you something," Haru exclaimed eagerly before darting up the stairs with a burst of speed.

“If you say so.” I matched my running pace with hers as we sprinted up multiple flights of stairs.

“Don’t you want to inform me about any of the rooms were passing?” I asked her.

“All of the rooms we’re passing are bedrooms so there isn’t much to talk about.” Haru shrugged and began to speed up her pace.

“Bedrooms?! So those kids all live here too?” I exclaimed in shock.

"Many of them come from orphanages, so they don't have a home to return to," she replied impassively, her expression giving away little emotion.

“They’re what?” As I responded we reached the final flight of stairs and what awaited us was a door.

As Haru opened the door, the starlit night sky unfolded before us, an improbable sight in this underground setting. My eyes widened in utter disbelief as I stepped onto the balcony, and the cool night air pattered my skin.

"Does my performance meet your expectations, Princess Eira?" Haru teased, a smirk playing at the corners of her lips.

All I could think about for some reason whenever I saw Haru was Haruka. She didn’t look like the Haruka I knew in the past, but her mannerisms and style of speech resembled her perfectly.

“Haru, I have a question.” I started to speak, but I couldn't look her in the eye because of my embarrassment.

“Go on,” Haru said.

“And you might think I’m crazy, but I have to ask… have you ever heard of someone named Yukito?” I decided to phrase it in a way that wouldn’t make me look weird if she wasn’t Haruka.

The moment I said the name, Haru looked as if she was attempting to remember something, but in a moment her expression changed to some state of shock as she stared at me.

“Ah, she must think I’m weird for asking her this question!” My mind raced as she continued to not respond to my question.

“M-My apologies Haru! Just forget I ever mentioned it!” I exclaimed and waved my hands frantically.

As I slowly turned on my heel to begin my descent down the staircase, the soft creak of the steps beneath my weight, I suddenly felt a gentle embrace from behind.

“Yukito!”


Haruka and Yukito finally meet each other in their new forms! I'm interested in how they will refer to each other now lol. I'll be taking a short break for a little bit since I finally got to place in the story I wanted to get, but I'll be back soon enough. See you guys soon!

Did Haruka do a good job?
  • Yes Votes: 39 92.9%
  • No Votes: 3 7.1%
Total voters: 42
35