Fixed In Motion
179 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The content of this chapter is a joint contribution belonging to the respective members of https://soulsocietynet.jcink.net/ and is posted here on SH for your enjoyment.

 

Aizen had never asked for any of their trust, and only a fool would have surrendered it. It was not in an Arrancars nature to trust, yet the word itself was placid. What did it mean?

Ulquiorra had been walking a moment before, unaware he'd even stopped. Those near feline-like eyes had found themselves fixed on the moon, it had halted his progression toward his own quarters. That realization had yet to meet awareness, which only showed how much Ulquiorra was a slave to unseen and unfelt forces within himself.

Not long ago he'd been a vagrant, of no value to anyone... yet Aizen had decided he now was of worth. Did that mean Aizen knew Ulquiorra better than the Espada himself?

Espada.

A new title, a word to denote his position in the world. That which moves all things had given him this word and it had value... but not to the trees, sky, sand, and this moon. Meaning itself had no meaning, words like sand and moon were given by arbitrary decision long ago. Their names could have been any number of things, so in that, they had no relevance either. But they still were what they were, exalted elements that defined and painted the world. Memories were carved into each one.

This was when he'd realized he was no longer walking, noticed he was transfixed by a heavenly body that he could only validate because his eyes perceived it. Did that mean when no one saw the moon it no longer existed? To be certain, it affected the world as more than a spectacle. It pulled on the planet, created tides. That's why he'd once called it the mover... yet now, he was.

"Sophomoric." Needing a single word to dissuade him of any more distracting thoughts, this was the one that he'd elected to make use of. Something having no meaning and something having no purpose was entirely different. Let the moon shine, let the sand roll with chilled wind, and let Aizen rule it all.

 

Nadežhda happened to be leaning against one of the vast structure of Las Noches' pillars, entertaining the thought of going to see Aizen for herself when the newly appointed Espada #7 passed by, or rather paused in awe of the moon...

"I personally don't think there's much to be intrigued by with our moon..." Nadežhda's words echoed strangely within the nearly empty space of Las Noches. Bone white hair (The only visible remnant of her former Hollow mask.) glistened under the moonlight. Sapphire eyes beheld Ulquiorra Cifer, a grim smile crossing over the former Council Member's features. A gentle calm weighed over Nadežhda's form, even her wolfish ears were relaxed as she greeted the Fellow Arrancar.

Ever since Aizen's arrival it seemed few others, if anyone at all, dared to enter the place anymore. Though she hadn't yet spoken with him personally, their new Shinigami leader seemed to be a pragmatic one, even aiding the less fortunate Hollows into achieving their new, almost mask-free forms. Though she currently sat as a former member of the Arrancar Council, Nadežhda still answered directly to Barragan, though Barragan himself now sat as a member of Aizen's personal army, ones coined as the Espada.

Aizen's current interests didn't seem to align with stripping the former Council members of any rights or property. Her territory, Shirakabe, even Underbright and the secrets it held were hers to keep. In fact the Shinigami invaders hadn't changed much at all except for the command structure... Due to these reasons Nadežhda hadn't yet seen any need nor necessity to attempt or coordinate any form of removal.

But not all of the Espada Nadežhda scouted were necessarily that strong. In a strange way, Aizen's choice to exclude her from his selection and instead keep her under Barragan's command left a sour taste in the Prideful Wolf Queen's mouth.

 

What pulls the moon still had on him became apparent, when he'd clearly let someone slip through his Pesquisas. A mistake, mistakes were signs of a psyche unperfected. What else could they be? Ulquiorra wanted the measure of anyone he reacted to, yet Nadezda was going to see his first.

Human philosophers had once said that the truth of a man was revealed in the instances where there was an unseen voyeur able to study them while their victim remained ignorant of their presence. He'd compared it to rats scattering when the light was flipped on, or some other such none sense. Yet, if his mind rejected the idea... why had it clung to it to superimpose it on this instant?

Ulquiorra knew what consequences came of a mind that was made vulnerable by figments of sentimentality. He had no moon anymore, it was now Aizen. The hierarchy had been established and now needed to be adhered to. He was perfectly willing to surrender control, but only to 'him'. There was no 'hers' in that calculation.

"Nadezda." Her name came to his mind, and then his mouth in a wrote repetition of the identical way he'd heard it pronounced the first time. Ulquiorra wouldn't change the way he spoke her name until pressures in an opposing direction corrected his current way of verbalizing it. As a stand-alone title, it merely served to push his thoughts to start attaching authorities and histories of Hueco Mundo to its ledger. This was what his mind associated with Nadezhda and thus became Nadezda.

He remained as ever a slave to his reactions, a partial widening of his eyes lasted longer than an instant, but less than a moment. It was there for her to see, but still subtle enough to be overlooked.

... Then he took in the contents of her words, not just 'what' she said, but how she said them. Were they of interest to her, or was she merely breaking the silence? Either way, it required a motive. Though new, Ulquiorra was gaining a reputation of being dismissive to the point of negating someone's presence. Some of the more anxious Espada didn't care for that, they wanted to be seen as great by anything with a number higher than theirs.

Ridiculous...

'Our moon', that was her wording of choice. Not 'the moon', our. What did it imply? Was she merely being inclusive? No one in 'that' pit was ever inclusive, they were black on black... she was the furthest from, hair as white as the very sands of Hueco Mundo. This was a desert creature, yet desert creatures fed on anything that strayed out by itself.

" Does a different moon intrigue you then?" He was willing to play the part of prey to this predator, and any weakness she might expose would change his measure of her in terms of use to Lord Aizen.

In the end, he needed her only to answer one question. Would her words and actions aline?

 

Nadežhda gave a subtle frown at Ulquiorra’s mispronunciation of her name, one which turned abruptly into a hint of amusement in his brief but noticeable surprise at her presence before him. Fresh The wolfish Arrancar mused. Her back pressed against the cold stone pillar, pushing Nadežhda to standing rather than continue to lean so casually. ”I don’t believe we’ve been properly introduced yet. I am Nadežhda. Formerly a member of the Arrancar Council, I presently serve as Fracción to Barragan.” There were no forced movements or rigidity with how the wolf Queen approached Ulquiorra, and her words were emphatically clear towards the proper pronunciation of her name as she proceeded to introduce herself.

”You don’t seem to be one for mincing words, though I fail to understand the reasoning behind such a statement.” Nadežhda cast a curious glance towards the Espada before her. An Intellectual perhaps dwelling on his own thoughts without sharing what he’d meant by the word, ’Ridiculous’? Either way this one seemed inclined to engage in conversation, as limited as such conversation seemed to be at present…

His question though… The wolfish Arrancar took a moment to gaze towards the moon her counterpart had engrossed himself within a mere moment prior. ”Perhaps… In the past I believed this moon to be unreachable, but in recent years I’ve come to realize something through my observations...” Nadežhda reached up with her left hand towards the moon in Hueco Mundo’s dusk and gloomy sky. From her perspective she held the moon perfectly in the palm of her hand before closing her fingers around it. ”Ulquiorra, are you aware that the humans in their world have something similar to this which hangs high within their own sky?” Nadežhda asked, turning an eye toward him in order to gauge his response. ”Humans are pitifully weak creatures, and yet they’ve managed to actually touch upon that moon with their own hands.” The wolfish Arrancar let her arm return to her side before addressing Ulquiorra more directly. “They might still be weak in every sense of the word, but humans have managed to accomplish a feat which we have yet to achieve.”

Aizen’s presence in Hueco Mundo alone defied the very logic of their world. Shinigami and Hollows did not mingle, yet here he stood atop the chain of command, willingly resigning himself to an existence within the vast emptiness of this place. Nadežhda could only think that, similar to the humans, perhaps he too sought to accomplish something the others had not. This thought intrigued her and she wished to inquire further into Aizen’s intents, his purpose...

 

She was too loose with her expressions, showing weakness should be reserved for those that had the power to compensate for such shortcomings. Only lord Aizen should have that freedom, showing his neck and daring a wolf to bite it.

" I know who you are." He was quick to say it, in a hurry to correct the idea that his knowledge didn't encapsulate anything that happened within the halls of Las Nochas. Every Fraccion, every Espada, EVERY Arrancar that Aizen made from the Hogyoku Ulquiorra did all in his power to gather the valid data. Since boredom wasn't one of his faults, he could scan through endless documents without the need to stop until his thirst was satisfied. Anything near Aizen, he had to know about...

Even Tosen and Gin had been thoroughly looked into... yet, Gin's record felt incomplete in a way. Still, he was so much like an Arrancar Ulquiorra felt compelled to overlook it, Aizen at the very least held little reservation in keeping him close.

Ulquiorra's time here had been limited, but Aizen had directed him in what was worth investigating...taking stacks of data and reducing it to more manageable reading.

This had to be combined with growing his own Reiastu, not because he wanted to be stronger... but he wanted to be more useful to Aizen, and that meant BEING stronger.

Regardless, nothing about pronouncing her name properly had any value to him. Yet, if one's name is their identity - then getting it wrong did mean he was denying one of his lord's warrior's existence. So, he stopped... drew her title back in, then tried once more putting slow emphasis on her name this time around. " Nadežhda..." Not unlike a child trying to learn a teacher's name for the first time.

He remained statuesque, having both hands placed in his pockets while looking upon her without the use of an expression. He could very well be looking beyond her, yet his eye did see all. Since he rejected the metaphysical, his ability to determine patterns in the physical was quite keen.

He had to filter out some of what she said, all of it required thought in deciphering the type of person she was, yet he could only pursue one strand at a time. Only Lord Aizen could put all someone was in a box and not allow any of it to seep out of the sides. That was not a talent Ulquiorra could use, even Arrancar's pretended like emotions were real, and deciphering lies others believed was taxing.

... Then she did it, she mirrored the same movement he'd made in the pit of his birth. Her hand reached out toward the moon, it shined on her exposing any part of her body that was in front of the window to its light. Ulquiorra imagined this is what it looked like when it had touched him back then. She was white too, what kind of beast had she been when her mask was adorned? Was she rejected or embraced?... Nadežhda was not a void, she was not nothing.

Realizing he was transfixed on her wrist, his eyes drifted off her and his legs carried him away more than a few steps. But, he did come to stop again. One might almost believe sentimentality created a noxious aura that he could not endure. " To what end would we go there? Humans have a vain desire to do all their crude minds bring to the surface. Arrancars should only do that which serves a purpose." His bitterness toward humans and obvious condescension laced every word. Even without putting emotions into his syllables, he managed to make each one reveal his hostility toward the weaker race.

Was there an underlining meaning she was getting at? She spoke of disgust toward humans, yet her mind also conjured ways to see them as superior. Was it a concern? Not yet, it was premature to draw that conclusion.

 

”Do you really know who I am though?” Nadežhda threw the question after the tail end of Ulquiorra’s response which seemed to have been made in hasty confidence. The Espada’s arrogance shown brighter than he might’ve believed he’d let on. Foolish, shortsighted arrogance. In a way This Espada’s response reminded her of Azsheran’s own arrogance. Believing he knew more than she did, he’d attempted to coo against her position as ruler over Shirakabe, only to end up learning a valuable and very humbling lesson in response. Nadežhda offered a quaint smile in response to Ulquiorra’s correction to her name. He was at least respectable, if nothing else.

”I would advise against presuming to know more than you do, else you might find yourself falling short in the end.” Nadežhda’s gaze drew distant as she spoke these words. Knowing, realizing, and understanding the real truths behind others. These things required more than simple research and disconnected observation. If one voided themselves of all emotions when looking out into the existences of others then their perspective would inevitably become stunted and incomplete.

”What makes you think there has to be an end? The vain desires and struggles of humans to constantly improve upon themselves eventually leads to progress and purpose alike. Think about it for a moment, if everything in existence were perfect what then would purpose amount to?” Nadežhda paused a moment to allow the philosophical atmosphere to set in before continuing. ”The answer is quite simply nothing. Without a goal to reach toward there can be no purpose.”

Nadežhda’s own feet carried her in like direction, once again moving beside Ulquiorra. ”While I agree that humans can be rather simple, it is also true that they are, each of them, unique in their own ways. Whatever your reasons are for detesting their existence, there still remains much that is useful which can be learned from them. From both their mistakes and their achievements. Even their inherent ability to forget and repeat the mistakes of their predecessors. It would be unwise to ignore the treasure trove of knowledge which can be obtained from humans through something as simple as observation.”

Nadežhda spaced forward, leaving Ulquiorra a few steps behind herself before pausing. ”That Arrancar should have purpose is correct. Without purpose we’d simply have no reason to exist. Before this ascension we now share in, the both of us were nothing more than survivors. But now we have a chance to do something more than that…” Glancing behind towards Ulquiorra, Nadežhda offered a confident smile. ”Since you claimed to know so much about me, perhaps you can guess as to what my current purpose in being here happens to be.” Not a question, but an inquiry. His response, even if it were nothing more than silence, would tell Nadežhda much.

 

"Nothing is enough." It was a flat response, revealing his total satisfaction with the reply. Few knew the true value of nothing, he was indeed unique in this. While submerged in the Moonlight Tree, he'd been cut off from everything...nothing to see, feel, hear... nothing to harm, nothing to exalt, just the pure bliss of nothing.

Was this a lesson everyone should know? Or was it one for him personally? If he did try to teach it, it occurred to him based on her previous answer she likely would reject it.

Fair enough, he'd keep his paradise to himself.

She, like others, believed there was a 'true self' beneath the surface. That without knowing this obscured, furtive presence that they remained an enigma to all who engaged with them. It was this illusion of 'true self' that revealed their identity, it showed a desire to remain unknown. By this, they were known.

The lids on his eyes narrowed slightly, the tell-tale sign that Ulquiorra was not just listening...but concentrating. She was revealing something about herself without knowing it, and his mind was starting to unravel what it was.

" I know what I know, that too is sufficient." He'd changed the word 'enough' from his first reply to 'sufficient' now. Would she realize why? Did she feel the weight of his measurement of her? More importantly, were such things important to her? What did she dismiss and what did she retain? He could continue to change subtle details, to show her through manipulation what emotions really are. If he started to try and pull her strings, would she realize how empty emotions are?

...would she realize they weren't real?

His stare was at her back, they believed their flesh to be a cauldron with emotions churching inside them. It was a word to use because few wanted to be just a by-product of nature, no different than the sand they would return to in the end. If she was split open in this instant, would all those 'so-called' emotions come spilling out to drown him?

His eyes closed to contemplate on her question, leaving only green tears behind to be looked at by the observer. Each Arrancar had unique reasons to be in Los Noches, escape, companionship, fear, hate, or to sate one's hunger. A wolf though, in the end, joined a pack to feel safe and be secured. Yet in the end, what all wolfs wanted... " To be the alpha, to lead your own pack." He could not think beyond what nature revealed, he was blind to the metaphysical.

A part of him wanted to pry at what she called emotions, find out what she attached herself too and terrorize it. But to what end? She was not the enemy.

" Humans are trash, I'd not exalt myself in the ways we are similar." And THAT, was his measure of her.

 

’Nothing is enough’ Enough huh… Sufficient, was it? Nadežhda stared back on Ulquiorra, a grim and flatly stoic, strangely pitying expression spread across her face. ”Nothing Is only sufficient enough to those who have yet to embrace the something that can exist in its place.” Her stare was intense, concentrated. If anything, she’d already spent centuries of her existence as a hollow with the experiences of nothing. She could agree in some sense that nothing was indeed enough, sufficient even at times. But she’d grown beyond that, grew to open her mind to the things around herself and to appreciate things for what they were. To be filled with experiences was to leave the void of nothingness behind. Perhaps if Ulquiorra sought to fill his nothing with something, anything, he might think differently about it in the end. Instead she simply chose not to preach her own understandings. ”But if that’s how you truly feel then I suppose there’s nothing left to say about it than to each their own.” Nadežhda offered the phrase with a shrug of the shoulders. Arguing their philosophies would get them nowhere. Although Nadežhda would enjoy learning about the beliefs and philosophies of others, her goal right now didn’t actually involve Ulquiorra.

As subtle as she’d been about her purpose within Las Noches and the goals she sought while visiting, she’d still expected the Espada to catch on to her reason. What she hadn’t expected was how naive a response Ulquiorra would give to her inquiry. It was so much so that Nadežhda couldn’t help but let out a loud and boisterous laugh. His response was filled with logic, dictated by the knowledge that she, a wolf, would seek the comfort and safety in leading a pack of her own. Such a base response, one would normally find themselves truly offended by such stereotyping. Nadežhda however found amusement in it.

”So you’re saying you believe me to be such a base and cowardly creature as to seek shelter among the crowd?” Nadežhda laughed, enough so that she actually ended up needing to wipe away tears. ”I take it you’ve never heard of the term lone wolf before then, have you.” The wolfish Arrancar stifled her laughter, clearing her throat. ”In any case, the answer to that statement would be no. Firstly I don’t have reason to seek an alpha position when I already have one of my own, secondly you offend my by thinking I need to hide behind my subordinates.” With an accusing finger pointing to Ulquiorra, Nadežhda jabbed. ”My purpose in coming here is much like what you are seeking to do right now. To judge, to evaluate, and to presume a reasonable conclusion based on what I learn as a result.”

 

What was she after? Why did she allow herself to leak with spasms and outbursts? Was it all just defiance? In that way, she was like an Arrancar - but the self-importance reminded him of a human. Then again, Arrancar's were no strangers to pride.

When his eyes opened again, he was bearing the brunt of her laughter. It didn't sway his reaction, at best he looked to be waiting for it to end as one might wait at a bus stop. Was he supposed to care if he was wrong? Saying a wrong answer could mean two things, she did not know herself - or he could now make a new assessment. Either way, the guess only did him good. He had no dignity to damage by being wrong.

"Nothing is something, I told you it was enough." She did not understand, perhaps she had at some point but that felt distant. Wolfs were creatures of evolution, constantly changing trying to find the right shape that allowed them dominion over the rest of the pack. And to associate herself with a lone one? He did know of them, as merely a data point... they were vulnerable and died sooner than the rest. There was little anyone could do alone, Ulquiorra knew that much... the number on his chest was a constant reminder, but his memories taught the same lesson.

Most of her assertion was correct, but not all. Was there a purpose in informing her of it? Did it harm him any for her to continue in a flawed belief? Reality did have value, he preferred it over anything else." Weak? Only in the attention, you give to humans..." He paused here, bale seeping into the way he slowed down his cadence mid-sentence. " Fear exists by a consensus of reactions from living creatures, nothing more. As false as it is, I'd suggest exorcising the notion when it comes to Lord Aizen." He didn't think her weak, or cowering... he thought she was trying to expand her territory and pack. That was why he brought Aizen in, to warn her of her limits.

That said, it was still off the mark from what she claimed to be her reasoning. Smart though, she should access her threats.

So now she had held her hand out toward the same moon and duplicated his motive. Was she trying to be some representative of what he could be? Was this a pep talk to try to drive him out of his shell?...

...There is nothing but shell for all of us. He kept that thought to himself though.

 

Again with the nothing is something? Nadežhda released an inaudible sigh. Ulquiorra was turning out not to be a conversation partner she’d be able to have future, in-depth discussions with. Sure he responded to her words but he held himself extremely rigid to a fault. Dead set in his ways, unable to even consider alternative perspectives… This arrancar likely wouldn’t be able to metaphorically put himself into anyone else’s shoes… It was both a strength and a weakness in itself.

”Nothing is indeed something, I don’t doubt your convictions in this regard. For it to be enough may be sufficient for you. I myself was there once. Perhaps at one point in my past I would’ve agreed with you on that. But I’ve reached beyond the Nothing and it is no longer enough to be sufficient for me. That is my conviction.” Nadežhda stood before Ulquiorra, Considering and assessing now how much more time she ought to waste with petty arguments before it would be right to move on towards her real objective.

”You should not underestimate humans, Ulquiorra. Nor should you underestimate any existence which thrives and strives to prove its own worth. No matter how vain or pointless you think it might be for them to struggle, one of the number you call inferior could have the potential to become something that you, or even I, will not be able to contend with.” Nadežhda’s words and expression were both grim. Her eyes filled with a knowing, of something she herself had seen and he had yet to see himself… She knew of at least one. A human male named Troilus, who for all accounts that she knew, was still alive out there somewhere. Theocelese and herself… Two members of The Arrancar Council. They had been powerless, utterly incapable of putting an end to him. And now Theocelese was dead.

”As for fear, it is both a boundary and a tool which should be used. If we do not strive to overcome that fear and break past our own, self-imposed limitations, then we are no better than those who already humble themselves before its oppressive aura.”

Nadežhda nodded to Ulquiorra, a subtle thanks for his warning. ”You may be right about Aizen. He is indeed powerful enough to impose fear into even the strongest Arrancar in Hueco Mundo. But if he is to continue as our ally and leader then I will not allow myself to be ruled by fear.” Her expression cold and stern, Nadežhda turned her back to the Espada and began to walk. ”I do not grant my loyalties to those who would impose undue duress, which is why I’ve come to Las Noches in order to seek his audience. If I am to continue serving under Aizen then I prefer it be with a clear and uncensored understanding of his purpose. You are welcome to accompany me in this endeavor Ulquiorra, or not. It makes no difference to me one way or the other.”

 

He was nothing if not consistent, Ulquiorra found what worked then installed it as an unmovable fact. Arrancar like her were fickle, they praised their ability to adapt and change... mercurial, capricious. Rigidity was the better way, who gazed upon a statue and were satisfied if it changed? The mind developed expectations based on repeated patterns, she wasn't the first to assume there was a better way. Yet, this way still functioned.

He then just stated the obvious, perhaps in an attempt to cause her to surrender on the fruitless attempt to provoke responses in him that simply did not exist. She wanted to mold things, but she was no mover... Ulquiorra knew what a mover looked like, he'd FELT a mover. Strong as she was (greater than him for certain)... she could not move. What lesser beings called 'disappointment' was all that awaited her... Yet, there was no harm in allowing her to try. Barragan himself had tried to resist the irresistible... why should not his Fraccion do the same?

She needed a lot of words to make a point, either her mind was incapable of condensing information or she enjoyed the sound of her own voice. Anyone who talked to Ulquiorra for more than 3 exchanges realized how little he engaged... Perhaps it had been their connection to the moon that had made Nade see some glimmer of hope in that regard. He now actively worked to crush that belief.

...Beyond Nothing? Ridiculous, he thought the word for the second time already. She had her fill and left nothingness behind because she could not be content, that was her flaw... that's why she wanted to be the mover. Her weakness was the inability to reach permanent satisfaction. She'd always be chasing the stars, just like the moon.

His silence was dense, she spoke and her words may as well had been to the marble pillars adjacent to them. Her words sunk into a void and returned drained of all their vibrant ambitions on the other side. Aizen too knew the power of silence, yet he would at least give her more than a blank expression.

Then words did come to him, he seemed eager to berate humans (each time the opportunity presented itself) by the way he readily broke dead air in order to bastardize them. " And if I were to grant your conjecture, that one human was a diamond in the rough...what would that entail? An exception to a rule does not remake all the others... it is simply cancer in an otherwise unimpaired host." That reply had lasted longer than he liked, it brought a bit of phantom pain to his collar which his alabaster fingers rose up to rub at.

... She caused me discomfort?

How?

He didn't respond now, following behind at a slightly slower pace allowing Nade to drift further ahead on her way toward Aizen. There was no point trying to convince her what fear really was, she wanted to believe it came from a none existing source. Like a religion, so many clung to this idea. Neurons firing in the mind creating similar patterns of behaviors, those were their vaunted 'emotions'. They were easily suppressed, reality cannot be suppressed but 'emotions' can, which meant they were not real.

Resisting Aizen? One might as well try to hold the moon in place. Its force would overwhelm and reveal limitations that should have been obvious from the beginning. She acted as though her choices played any part in shaping events, at the end of this hall... she'd learn differently.

 

”Perhaps not, but it does imply there can be unknowns, possibilities that go beyond our preconceived or learned beliefs.” Nadežhda didn’t pause or turn around this time as she spoke. Her motives and path were now clear. Pacing herself so as not to leave Ulquiorra too far behind, she’d garnered more words from the Espada than all exchanges previous. Interesting… There could yet be room for growth within this one. The wolfish Arrancar smiled to herself, an expression hidden from the other since he followed from behind.

They walked, Nadežhda’s newfound silence broken only once before they arrived in order to praise and address what she considered might be of concern to Ulquiorra. ”Your loyalties with regards to Aizen are commendable Ulquiorra. The other Arrancar all fear and respect the strength behind this man and that is the only reason why they follow. Yet you seem to hold something much deeper than that. A connection with Aizen that the others don’t seem capable of grasping at. While I am impressed with the man’s strength, I also wish to understand the motives of my allies, and this connection. As it stands there’s tolerance among the masses that fall before the presence of this man, but mere tolerance could be detrimental to the grand scheme in the end. I prefer to operate under a unified front, which is something even Barragan was unable to provide for us.”

Silence again fell as Nadežhda drew herself closer to the place in which she knew Aizen resided. For a time the only sounds to be heard were of the Wolfish Arrancar’s footsteps on the hard stone flooring. Eventually the two of them stopped before the chambers Nadežhda sought. Turning to her companion Espada, Nadežhda spoke with a tone housing more formality than she’d offered to their interactions thus far. ”I’m sure in the current state of things, my position as Fraccion to Barragan likely garners me very few privileges and It would be uncouth of me to simply barge in unannounced or without invitation. It is ultimately for this reason that I must request of you, Ulquiorra Cifer, do allow me an audience with Lord Aizen.” Nadežhda offered Ulquiorra a formal standing, awaiting his approval. Though in all honesty she didn’t think she truly needed it.

 

His pace didn't change, it had been a distant walk from the veranda to Aizen's throne room. Each step she gained barely an inch in distance. He knew this not by sight but by measuring the taps of his feet compared to her own. Ulquiorra set his own pace, he was not following her yet remained within earshot. Regardless of anything, he'd arrive before Aizen at the time this speed would produce.

Even when she began talking again, his pace remained the same. Yet, in her pause, she became louder as the sound had to cross less space to reach him. He'd originally intended to await outside unless summoned, yet Nade herself requested he be there. It was the way of things, if she was to compete for the role as mover...then the void needed to see what position it would fill into the potential emptiness.

Ulquiorra did not know if Aizen in his great wisdom knew how fickle an ally Espada 7 was - or perhaps he did. If Sosuke knew the terms to control Ulquiorra were simply ' not be defeated' then why would someone like him worry? With those conditions, Sosuke Aizen would rule this Espada til the end of all time. Besides, who really cared about the loyalties of no one and nothing embodied? Of what value was a void?

Step - ”Your loyalties with regards to Aizen are commendable Ulquiorra." They were not, they just were.

Step - "The other Arrancar all fear and respect the strength behind this man and that is the only reason why they follow." Male yes, man? She was approaching this meeting with the wrong mindset already.

Step - "Yet you seem to hold something much deeper than that." No more than sand gave way under the wind.

Step - "A connection with Aizen that the others don’t seem capable of grasping at. " He was beside her on this step, and his mind disregarded praise just as easily as an insult.

He arrived at the door, the rest of what she said was noted - but mostly rendered nulled. Ulquiorra only listened for the core of someone's point, once their premise was fixed he could evaluate the worth of their speech as either diatribe or substantive.

" I know, that's why you stopped at the door in the first place."

His eyes remained on the entrance, passing her before she'd even completed the sentence - looking past the woman toward the source of all pressure to mold reality. His hand had no reverence in it that one might expect, it simply rose, touched the two doors on the right side, and pushed it in.

The light from the hall spilled into the thick regal air of the throne room, the entire enviroment was built the crush the resolve of anyone who walked in it. On either side were menacing pillars of glistening pretenses of force, looming like wardens that could release power to remove anyone who stepped into such hollow blackness. And when the door closed, it would only get darker. The faint glow that came from the singular light was a heavenly luminescence that was at the throne... yet the path to get there was a long one. Anyone who feared Aizen would walk a lengthy corridor getting narrower and narrower til he was at the end. Like the whole room bent under his gaze.

Ulquiorra walked in the dark rigidly, the same subtle light steps across a paneled floor of green marble that didn't become visible as 'floor' until nearly halfway down the immensity.

Those metronome steps finally finished right before the throne...Ulquiorra stood the same distance from it every time. This was his constant, a spot on the floor that was near enough for Aizen to will him to death, but not close enough to be an offense to the eyes. He respected Aizen's aesthetic of this room and more or less became a part of it.

Bow and words followed one another, as he tilted forward. " Lord Aizen, Barragan's Fraccion - The Lady Nadežhda." He kept this position, he didn't raise his head or eyes - he was now a statue that would hold in place having performed its duty.

 

’I know, that's why you stopped at the door in the first place.’ Nadežhda offered Ulquiorra a curt smile in response, one which he likely wouldn’t notice as his attention remained on the entrance before him, never shifting to regard the wolfish Arrancar in any way. Assuming his new role as escort without question, Nadežhda gave up lead and followed.

Nadežhda found the path to the throne more… familiar, perhaps even a bit more inviting than was likely the desired intent. A place of importance, strength, and oppression were all rolled into a singular location like a well plotted course. She could see no fault with this place’s demeanor, though it did hold some humbling pressures Nadežhda could only now relate to. She could feel the mental oppression this place bestowed upon those who would seek to oppose the force seated upon the throne. The Wolf Queen could clearly remember the horrified expression on Azsheran’s face when she’d dealt him his due punishments for attempting to oppose her. Perhaps it’d been an unintended punishment for Feena as well since Nadežhda ordered the healer to simply reattach the defiant Arrancar’s severed arm, nothing more.

Nadežhda believed herself to be a benevolent leader towards those who followed and served beneath her. Azsheran’s defiance and the public display of punishment brought down upon him had simply served as an opportunity to offer up a lesson to any others who might dare oppose either her leadership or her strength.

In the case of Aizen, he still remained as mostly a mystery to Nadežhda. He hadn’t yet served as their leader long enough for her to grasp understanding beyond his simply being an overwhelmingly powerful being. What sort of ruler that would ultimately make him into? Nadežhda wanted to find out… But she would need to play her cards correctly less she incur undue retributions.

When introduced the wolfish Arrancar stepped forward, remaining several steps offset behind Ulquiorra himself. She knelt, keeping her eyes steady, aimed no higher than the feet of Las Noches’ ruler. If she wanted to gain standing with the one everyone referred to as ‘Lord Aizen’ then she would first need to offer the respect deserved of her present position as Fraccion to one of his very own subjects. Whether she thought he ought to continue receiving such respects would depend upon what advances could be gained through this meet…

Nadežhda remained silent. In the case of kings and monarchs. Subjects, especially those of lower authority (as was her present position), were only permitted to speak when spoken to…

 

"Oh?" a snake-like smile appeared on Gin's face as he turned his head just slightly to the side. "Seems we got a guest. Bringin' yer girlfriend to visit?" he teased in a very calm tone. Gin was ignored by them, as Ulquiorra addressed Aizen with a bow and an introduction. The female arrancar knelt like some sort of knight. "Well ain't she a respec'ful one." he said. "You have no need to bow. Is there something you need, Nadežhda?"

The look in Aizen's eyes was extremely, eerily calm. Gin's expression was mischievous, as if he were just waiting to do something. But Aizen, there was nearly nothing. His tone was level and slightly inviting.

 

It was best to count Ulquiorra for what he was, a statue. Gin's attempt at snide endearance didn't elicit any response. While he'd certainly heard the words, in the presence of Aizen he'd become as stagnant as a transcriber. The question about his relationship had no relevance, it had no answer because he could only understand one part of Gin's chosen phrase ' girl'... but friend? Intellectually perhaps he grasped the word, but Ulquiorra knew reality, which was why he didn't rely on words alone.

Gin used his words in what sounded like harmless jabs; they were not harmless. Ulquiorra deciphered a pattern... as lighthearted as Gin's quips were, they always sought to influence the recipient. Gin was probing, testing, and digging for information. That was good, someone Aizen kept close was someone who acted on data, which was superior to how Tosen acted... He was emotion based, he came off as...too human.

Honor.

Another word without meaning, just sentiments. That was how he'd come to tell human from Arrancar, sentiment. Arrancar should not have sentiment, which was part of what made him unsure about Nadežhda herself. What was she willing to do with so many overwhelming forces about her? Would she regret asking Ulquiorra to give her this audience?... What was regret? His mind had a default understanding of the concept, but he couldn't feel it - so, maybe it wasn't right to use it in his thoughts?

All things that existed were measured by Aizen, Aizen could convince him the sky wasn't black - it should be called yellow, and Ulquiorra would forever call all things yellow black, regardless of what anyone else said. Because this was the shaper of all things. This was Aizen, a force of nature... no, nature itself given a form of flesh. Nature had given rise to Ulquiorra, so naturally, if it created an avatar of itself then Ulquiorra was subservient to it. Humans might even say Ulquiorra would see Aizen as the closest representative he'd have to a 'father', as far as genesis was concerned.

Ulquiorra didn't know this was the cost of abandoning emotion, by allowing himself to be molded by that without intentions. He couldn't reach logical assessments of reality, because reality encompassed emotion. Yet, he'd argue he never had emotions to abandon, to begin with.

Aizen was more than the image that the eyes beheld, Nade would know that momentarily.

 

Gin’s insults fell on deaf interpretations. Though she would remember them, Nadežhda buried the words into her memories, never to be called upon again. Instead she took notice of approval and promptly returned to standing, understanding the immediate adequacy (or rather inadequacy) of her presumed notion behind the necessity to adhere formalities.

Aizen sat calm, perhaps too calm. The man exuded an unnatural level of power and authority yet needed neither to speak nor acknowledge for himself through voice in order to make this fact known. Nadežhda inwardly smiled. Gin’s standing felt to her like nothing more than a fly before the frog. An insignificant and small existence presenting itself in lieu of Aizen himself. The wolfish Arrancar could see now why Barragan’s failure had been so absolute, so humbling for their previous ruler. His strength couldn’t have hoped to ever hold a candle to this man. For this reason, Nadežhda believed it in her best interest to push forward.

Looking now to Aizen, Nadežhda spoke. ”Lord Aizen, while I can say that your appearance here in Hueco Mundo and your newfound dominion over Las Noches doesn’t surprise me in the least, I am still a bit and curious… It intrigues me to want to know why you chose this place above any other. I also believe that in order to better understand your purpose, it would behoove me to request an alteration to my position.” Nadežhda paused, if only to add potential for dramatic effect to her following request. ”As you’re already aware, I previously followed under Barragan as a member of his council. Presently I serve as Fraccion to that same entity. Barragan would have it remain so, but I find that subservience to one whom no longer holds the title of strongest is a detestable position to be in. Therefore I wish to reject my present role as Fraccion and seek a position more directly related with your own council, Lord Aizen. Though I may pose inquiries if you’d allow me the chance to probe such curiosities when they arise, I believe I can serve your purposes more effectively by cutting out the middle man in this situation.”

 

Souske raised an eyebrow when the woman requested a change in position. "Go on." he said. She was long winded, far more so than the average arrancar. She wanted recognition of her power, as any other hollow or soul reaper. "Oh, Barragan won't like that." Gin commented at the partial betrayal.

A moment of silence befell the room as Souske stared at Nadežhda. Her spiritual pressure was higher than Ulquiorra's, but far below even Gin's, whose was lower than his own. "So you're requesting to be made an espada?" Souske asked, already knowing the answer, but he still would wait for a reply.

Once she confirmed what he'd already knew, Souske would go on to say "Ulquiorra." while continuing to stare at the applicant "What can you tell me of Nadežhda?"

 

Aizen wasn't taking this girl seriously, this may have been a mistake. Had Ulquiorra just provoked The Mover to look on an irritant? Nothing only had a purpose when Nothing was acknowledged, perhaps he'd just set down a marker for a future in which the void would be unnecessary. How should he respond? What did reality dictate?

That was simple enough...

Ulquiorra heard in Aizen's tone what he wanted, and responded immediately. Raising himself upright, his hand lifted toward his face showing one of the most dangerous aspects about Ulquiorra... he showed actuality in the bluntest form possible. His fingers pressed inward on the whites of his left eye, slipping them beneath the sockets on both sides until he could tear the muscle that attached to his optic nerve away from his cheek, now holding his eye retina out toward Aizen and Gin.

He need say nothing - when the hand holding his optic made a fist the memories of his encounter with Nadežhda became particles in the air for her, Aizen and Gin to see. They would also be able to understand how Ulquiorra felt during each instant of the conversation, Nade would experience a conversation with herself from his point of view, along with every notion the Arrancar felt about what she was saying. From the exalted pedestal of 'mover' Ulquiorra had assigned to Aizen, to his beliefs on how she had too much empathy for humans.

This technique was Solita Vista, it made Ulquiorra a voyer and spy of all of Hueco Mundo. Whatever he saw, Aizen could know in intimidate detail. A biological surveillance system, one which would obey every command no matter how foolish or beyond the host. Ulquiorra could barely be called sentient, a computer would have done no more or less.

While it played, he did clarify that the feelings that were being transplanted into their awareness were genuine." She is verbose, like Barragan. Her defense of humanity is not efficient for being an Arrancar, much less an Espada. Yet, her power outstrips my own and therefore would be more efficient at enforcing your decrees." This was the way of Espada 7, truth was truth. If he said something that would get him demoted, so be it. If he said something that got her killed, then she was at fault for dancing too close to the abyss. Reality was the grinding stone, and it may just end up breaking her.

Yet, there was a part of him he did not understand. When his Solita Vista showed Gin and Aizen his feelings on the moon, it felt some what repellent... like he'd wanted that to remain private.

 

”That would be correct.” Nadežhda confirmed. "Barragan may prove to be soured by my request but this change in position would provide me with a more direct line in the chain of command. If I am expected to adhere to the orders of a superior, I feel it is more beneficial for such things to be as direct from the original source as feasibly possible.”

Curiously intrigued, Nadežhda observed as Ulquiorra plucked his very eye from within its socket, only to hold it out before Aizen and Gin. The events of just moments ago played out before her like a recording. A truly magnificent ability, Nadežhda admitted to herself. Should her own scouts at Shirakebe hold such an ability like Ulquiorra’s, reports received would see much more solid and complete detail.

Once the recording concluded, Ulquiorra proceeded to voice his opinion. Nadežhda couldn’t help but think perhaps Aizen was merely entertaining the moment for his own amusement. A subtle thought with little backing as the man showed little to no proof to quantify such a notion in her eyes. Still, Nadežhda felt need to object to at least one of the other Arrancar’s points. ”I must correct at least one of your points, Ulquiorra. Defending humanity is neither my will nor my intent. I merely participate in a simple act of observing and documenting the human world’s growth and activity.”

Having satisfied her need to reprimand Ulquiorra’s assumptions, Nadežhda turned her eyes back toward Aizen. ”I beg your pardon Lord Aizen, but should your goals happen to legitimately involve the living for any reason, even human life would become of little consequence in the matter.” Though sincere in her convictions, Nadežhda couldn’t, in the present moment, bring herself to understand any assumed situation in which the mass destruction of human life would be required.

 

"How pragmatic..." Gin commented, seeming almost surprised by that sort of thing from beings who valued power over all else.

Aizen had listened to Ulquiorra's assessment of the... applicant, and appeared to actually be considering his words. After that, Nadežhda had made her own corrections. "Very well." he said, in response to her declaration of loyalty. "Ulquiorra, see to it that Nadežhda's strength is appropriately scaled." Of course, the command was to be carried out in the only way hollows knew to prove themselves. "Ooooh, can I watch?" Gin asked with a bit of amusement in his voice.

 

Aizen's last word had no space between the noticeable thrum of a cero starting to collect in power. This attack would be the 'period' to his lord's sentence, Ulquiorra had been given a task. Show Aizen what Nade is capable of in all fields. This wasn't just an evaluation of her spiritual pressure, but how she used it. Her first test was one of her Pesquisa.

If she turned around, she'd lose too much time and face the full assault of the fully charged beam. Light fixated at the point of a finger, about to fire. She had to start dodging now or put a great deal of trust in her Hierro.

There was no 'as you command' or ' it will be done' nothing to affirm Ulquiorra had accepted the task. It just began, like an act of nature. The fact that the beam would strike Gin if she dodged entirely wasn't a thought either, Aizen would expect his head general to be able to defend against an Espada attack, especially one which had not released.

He required every advantage to even make this last, her pressure was not just a little higher... but significantly so. What were his advantages? Most likely his Pesquisa was better tuned, he knew this room rather thoroughly, and his Sonido might be able to match hers, and physical regeneration. Beyond that, this was her fight to win. He'd have to fight strategically.

Every Hollow knew that if the shot of a cero was traced backward, the source of the one firing it would be there at the end. Which meant Ulquiorra did not allow his beam to fire long, enough to put a strong concussive force into her back and hopefully take her off balance. If that happened, his Sonido would be superior until she got it back.

He was moving though, once the beam fired he shot into a portion of the dark enclaves where the light had a hard time reaching. As a wolf, he suspected she would hunt by smell, combined with her Pesquisa she should have a strong notion of where he was in the dark.

Keeping his other hand out of the action, it remained concealed in the left pocket at an awkward angle... the wrist higher than it should be if his hand was laying flat.

 

Acknowledgement. Good. An opponent ready and willing to face her? Even better. Though Nadežhda inwardly frowned at Ulquiorra’s choice method of beginning the duel, she couldn’t fault its necessity. The wolfish Arrancar never let her guard down in odd company, nor in supposed friendly company either. Theocelese might’ve been an exception to this hard-kept rule of hers but he no longer walked their level of existence, and she had no current reason to hold onto such weakness.

Could she have relied upon Hierro? Perhaps, but Nadežhda would meet this test with equal vigor, to get struck by Ulquiorra’s attack now would surely reveal false inequities, the kind the Wolfish Arrancar would rather not be known by. Thus she chose to avoid the attack, vacating the spot she stood while leaving Gin to contend with the Cero in her place. Sonido brought Nadežhda to the edge of the Cero’s path, saving her from its concussive force. ”Cheeky move Ulquiorra.” The wolfish arrancar spoke, spinning around. Bala required practically zero time to charge so when the Arrancar’s right hand rose level to her shoulder to face the origin of Ulquiorra’s attack, a volley of brilliant blue bala were simultaneously fired off into the area.

Did Ulquiorra suspect her vision to fail her within the darker areas of their environment..? Nadežhda pondered the thought briefly, opting to entertain his failure in understanding wolf senses and her own bestial origins by briefly closing her eyes. ”Go ahead and test my strength in whatever ways you wish. It just means I will have had a chance to prove my superiority in each regard.” If Ulquiorra didn’t respond to her verbal quip then Nadežhda too would voice no further conversation and focus wholly on their fight.

Arms splayed down at each side, Nadežhda directly faced Ulquiorra’s position. Bright blue energy crackled, building and condensing at the upper center of the Wolfish Arrancar’s chest. It held more energy than Ulquiorra’s own but still remained as nothing more than a simple Cero. The weakest form of such among the three she knew how to use. Nadežhda staunchly committed, shot forth the attack. If he didn’t want to be the first one taking a blow Ulquiorra would need to hastily dodge. Anticipating the potential actions of her opponent following her own Cero, the Wolfish Arrancar would now make proper use of Pesquisa to determine his next course of action.

If he came in for a physical attack, Nadežhda’s Pesquisa would tell her so and she would promptly block his attempt.

If he chose to keep distance and fire at her again, Nadežhda would turn to the offensive. Sonido carrying her, closing the distance to intercept and disrupt. A hand to snatch his firing arm, and a knee to deliver a powerful blow to the gut… Should Ulquiorra happen to underestimate her knack for hand to hand combat.

 

She talked too much, that lack of focus meant she was like him - only putting in the effort required to overcome the current struggle. It could be exploited, moments of her expectations waiting for answers could develop into fake outs. She had been given a strong glance into his true self in the hallway, the idea that she was surprised he'd attack so suddenly was... a little disappointing. Her wisdom was lacking, and it told Ulquiorra his mental advantages.

What could be said for her first reaction?

Nadežhda's fighting style was reminiscent of a dance, which meant she wasn't sloppy. However, movements like that had 'windows' in which the maneuver allowed for the desired attack, to strike outside of those windows was to ruin the flow of the dance. Patterns, her second weakness then. Hard to exploit, but not impossible.

The flaw revealed itself in Bala attacks that struck the place he'd been stationed before, now no longer. What was impressive, her instincts must have made a proper measurement of his smaller Cero, because the Bala did not strike the spot he would have been positioned had it been a blast he was committed to. Another point for Nade, she could adapt... and it likely wasn't even conscious.

His real thought was on Aizen though, his own evaluation would pale in comparison to the conclusions that his 'mover' was reaching. Ulquiorra was bound to pragmatism, to see beyond that required emotions that he denied the existence of. To use something that did not exist sounded like a weakness, yet he'd seen what the illusion of rage and confidence could do to Shinigami and Arrancar on the battlefield.

Not only did Ulquiorra not respond to her verbal quips, but he also waited for the moment her emotions most involved herself in what she was saying to strike. She'd learn what it meant to fight a void, it did not respond...it did not wait, it consumed.

But she was still too large to devour...

Not entirely true, there was a way to win... it would depend on what rank she wanted. But victory had no value. His job was to show his lord what this woman could do. He'd want her to rank as high as possible if it meant Aizen's army would be the better for it. So, his lack of pride saved her in that.

If she releases, she cannot receive a rank above 5.

Ulquiorra did not challenge her Cero because there was no reason to, he was not the one being tested. He'd gotten enough distance to counter the speed, made some adjustments for thickness, and was able to avoid the attack. Cerulean force draw him back from the pressure, but that distortion Cero's caused was also anticipated.

Upon saying 'it just means' a Bala of his own struck at her feet, having been thrown during her Cero charge. He was trying to force her attention to stay in the direction she knew him to be. Her Pesquisa should follow the ball, he may be weaker - but a Bala still wasn't a pleasant feeling even from a less powerful opponent.

Since he couldn't win with force, his options naturally went to confusion. 5 layers worked against her. Speaking, Expectionation of her Cero, an incoming Bala, ending her Cero's stream, and... a Sonido from Ulquiorra in her direction.

As the floor erupted where she'd been standing during her shot, he made a summation she would cover or drawback - he Sonido with the flow of that thrown Bala to split her attention, delivering a kick at open-air, expecting Nade to fill the spot where his foot would be.

 

Stronger opponents, weaker opponents. They all of them looked for advantages when fighting powerful foes. Weaker foes would complain or curse themselves for not being strong enough to fight on even terms. Stronger opponents would boast and try to goad reactions. While she strived to fit into one form of stereotype, Ulquiorra fit neither of these… He held strength, if only in the ability to keep emotions out of his combative capacity. Did he merely dance to her tune or was he even thinking about the steps he took. Instincts spoke stronger than words or thought. In many cases one’s instincts far outweighed the trained capacity of any level headed and thinking mind…

But what assumption toward advantages could a wolf give her opponent… Stepping back enough to avoid the immediate force behind Ulquiorra’s Bala was both a choice and a feint used to hide the shorter charging of her second Cero. Hidden behind the energies of the first, Nadežhda’s pesquisa perceived the opponent’s approach. Too far. She could see, the Bala itself, a utility towards a feint. Nadežhda smiled. One which lay hidden behind the luminescent glow of her Cero’s offensive as the trap became sprung.

The ground erupted as Bala struck, Nadežhda sprung back while Cero fired, and her own Sonido snapped the attack’s action in half. Blue glow subsided, making way for shadows to merge and shift, visually changing the scenery around the both of them. Ulquiorra’s chance for physical attack swiped at open air.

Nadežhda hung suspended in that moment within the space above her opponent’s head. As the crackling of Sonido subsided, cerulean energy crashed down. Even though she’d not charged this second Cero for nearly as long and it wouldn’t hit nearly as hard as a fully charged Cero, avoiding the brilliantly colored force of energy at ten meters distance would prove to be a much more difficult feat to achieve.

 

Ulquiorra became rigid, caught between decision and reaction. He had to rely on the strength that was still available to him, which meant... the left pocket.

Pesquisa and eyes both chased Nade, tracing the trail of her movements through projections. But she was not a mathematical equation, he'd already struck nothing but air attempting this approach. Exploiting her weaknesses was difficult when his own were exposed, yet being aware of them did help the Espada mitigate them.

That could not be said for her, she'd found an advantage in anticipation which would also be something Aizen would look well on. It was difficult to say if she was responding naturally, or marking off the same checklist that Ulquiorra had been.

One moment his focus was straightforward, then his chin and eyes sharply went up, robotically responding to her presence as she'd just set off some form of sensor. In fact, she had... his Pesquisa saw the next Cero before it fired. The window he would have to counter wasn't one that allowed for stalling.

Ulquiorra's hand finally left the opposing hands pocket, showing the Cero that he'd been cooking within for the last few exchanges. It was peaked, ready to test Nade's less developed one. Reiastu to Reiastu, Aizen was about to observe her ability to maintain concentration and increase her power into an already fired shot.

Though Nade's Cero was already too close to negate all the damage, Ulquiorra didn't look to have much concern as skin where his Hierro failed began to cook in the furnace of a sapphire Cero. His own shot joined into the chaos, both beams clashing almost on top of Ulquiorra's hand... swiftly pushing it back toward Nade herself. How much power could she pour into a previously released beam? Was her energy just as wild as she was? Or did she have control over it? Was she another Grimmjow?

 

Much to Nadežhda’s surprise, Ulquiorra seemed to have chosen to remain. Standing his ground in the face of her Cero and retaliating with a fully charged one of his own. A choice action. Was he measuring its strength and determining himself to be capable of warding off the attack? Even so, the wolfish Arrancar chose to take advantage.

At its current level her Cero remained subpar and wouldn’t be able to match Ulquiorra’s fully charged one. The two beams of energy clashed causing the searing heat to splash out, scorching the ground around her opponent’s feet. Nadežhda lowered her left hand to focus on her Cero by channeling even more power and energy into the as of yet unfinished attack. Though it’d originally moved back towards herself, forced by Ulquiorra’s own Cero, it would not be enough now. Cerulean glow grew both stronger and wider causing the movement of both Cero to stalemate in the middle.

Right hand reaching over to her side, Nadežhda drew her Zanpakuto. Ulquiorra wouldn’t be able to see the physical action she committed to with his eyes but perhaps his pesquisa would be strong enough to detect the subtle shift in her movement. Extending her arm, drawing the blade well over her head, Nadežhda proceeded to hurl the sword, blade first, down into and through the clashing Cero.

If Ulquiorra chose to continue standing his ground he would then be forced to contend with not just her strengthened Cero but her Zanpakuto as well as it would come down through the pair of clashing Cero, aimed with the intent to pierce the Arrancar where he stood.

 

Fury in energy form morphed the onset of Nade's intentions, she revealed what was inside of her so freely, Aizen would clearly see the nature of her Cero - its instability. There was much-wasted energy that could have been condensed and better focused. That mistake wasn't enough to allow his own attack to rush through to the source, yet Aizen would still need to see what the woman's Hierro could endure.

Once their powers were stalemated, Ulquiorra made use of his own unstable form of energy in the form of a bala that he knew could ignite the entangled beams. Nade more than likely was aware of the possibility as the alchemic differences of Cero and Bala were not complimentary. One sought to pierce, and another erupt. What she likely wouldn't expect is Ulquiorra being willing to contaminant a beam that was equal distance from both of them. But, pain didn't measure into the calculation, this was an effective means to show his lord the physical durability of a future Espada.

Ulquiorra on the other hand wasn't aware of the other component that introduced a new complication, his Pesquisa was far too jogged by the heaven descending fang of crisp blue to attach it to other tasks. Where the red of bala drank in and reacted to cerulean contending against teal, the expansion bubble formed and pushed upward and downward with immense force to consume both Nade and Espada 7. What also was pushed downward, her Zanpakuto.

Scorching rays of digging destruction did not surprise him, that was always going to happen. It hurt as much as hurt meant anything, chewing away layers at his chest, extended left arm, and upper neck. After all, it was the power of his attack and hers combined as one. A lesser Vasto Lordes might have been scarred for life from that formula alone...

But that wasn't the end of the formula, something very much describing significant pain shot through the entirety of his extended arm... and then only as far as the bicep. There was no 'rest of the arm' to attach pain to besides that point, it and Nade's Zanpakuto collided with the ground. Yet after a single bounce, no longer protected by its hosts Hierro, that same arm became ash under the oppressive weight of their two mingled attacks.

When the chaos cleared, Ulquiorra gave an almost casual glance down at the empty appendage. His nerve endings were demanding restoration, and the process began shortly after.

Etched into the char of his chest, a black '7' was being repainted onto the flesh.

 

A bala! Ulquiorra actually wanted to detonate the forces at work with both of them this close to one another!? With Ulquiorra’s and her own Cero now reaching its peak, even Nadežhda wouldn’t be able to come out of the resulting detonation completely unscathed. Having been detonated by Bala, the wolfish Arrancar brought her arm up about-face to guard herself from the worst of the explosive force.

The cloth covering Nadežhda’s arm gave about as much resistance to the destructive forces at play as one would expect it to. Incinerated into nothingness, the wolfish arrancar’s hierro became the immediate second victim to the assault. The back of her guarding arm became scorched and peeling. Uniform pain, but nothing she hadn’t been able to handle before. Despite this, observation continued. Ulquiorra had yet to move from his position.

A glance down at his severed arm. A mistake Nadežhda would be sure to punish him for. Her sonido resounded within the still turbulent atmosphere, placing the wolf queen’s form right before Ulquiorra himself. From Nadežhda a roundhouse kick would follow fluently after. Aiming at his now armless side, Ulquiorra’s options for blocking the physical attack would be limited. Her blow would approach decisively, with enough force to crack ribs and send an unprepared opponent flying.

 

"Idiot." A stale statement, yet genuine. It came from him regardless of will, he identified a monstrous mistake and remarked on it verbally.

And there it was, once she felt the touch of morality she became reckless. While it wasn't unexpected from the animal-type Resurrections, it was nonetheless disappointing. It meant they became feral when pushed, as long as the fight went their way they could keep their cool, but when it did not...

Once again, a Grimmjow flaw.

He was starting to see the web that mapped out her vulnerabilities, yet didn't find in himself where to assert pressure to exploit them. He didn't have the firepower necessary to capitalize on her openings, well... not in terms of ensuring she was tested properly.

One of the most despairing parts about her mistake was the fact that she'd just made use of the same tool she was now dismissing from her mind. He didn't need Pesquisa for the next moment, he didn't need Hierro... She did what all wolves did, tried to bite at a wounded animal. Yet even a wild alpha was more intelligent than to throw away all defense and rush a still standing foe.

Aizen was watching.

Ulquiorra didn't have to be faster than her, he knew where the attack would come from because of what she was. She smelled blood and couldn't keep her instincts in check.

Murcielago shot from its sheath, like a machine launching a piston the edge of his Zanpakuto was in the path of her leg - with that much force, that much speed, that much intensity, he expected she'd severe the entire limb at the end of his Soul Cutter and be left helpless moments later. He'd lost an arm, she'd lose a limb that was vital for a proper Sonido. Ulquiorra would have made that trade every time.

 

“Che-!” Grimacing in witness to the equal swiftness with which Ulquiorra managed to counter her attack, Nadežhda could only opt to make a temporary withdrawl. Now one leg short, the wolfish arrancar adjusted her momentum to dip down. Protruding out of the ground from where it’d severed Ulquiorra’s own limb, Nadežhda Snatched up Lupus et bestia, her Zanpakuto, before flipping backwards.

She was at disadvantage now. A severed leg hurt one’s combative capacity far more than a severed arm ever could and being out of the fight now was no option. Not with an opponent still standing. More than her injured arm, a leg needed recovering… She landed on all threes, some distance away. Enough that she could still react even with her Sonido momentarily suppressed.

The profuse bleeding stopped, white polyps bubbled then spread across and covered the large open wound where the rest of her leg would normally be. The white, seemingly pustule-like growths expanded, bloating, extending. Before they burst forth like sliming slithering appendages, reaching out, gathering, reforming.

Nadežhda stood. Once again upon two legs. One original, and one very much fresh and new. A sweat drew from the wolfish Arrancar’s face, her breathing momentarily winded. She calmed herself, standing straight and proud. She’d just performed the fastest recovery she could manage which held with it a striking advantage as well as potential and grievous disadvantages… Losing another leg from here on would not be an option she could allow.

Lupus et bestia’s blade whipped out, contemptuously splattering blood into a crescent across the ground.

 

High Speed Regeneration (Localized)
Powerful Hollows have been shown to possess incredible powers of regeneration. In Nadežhda's case however this technique works somewhat differently. Having chosen to become Arrancar, Nadežhda has lost most of her passive regenerative capabilities but by focusing a large portion of her energy and localizing it into a severe injury or damaged/severed limb she is able to quickly recover that area. It is still better to avoid being injured at all since using this ability has a progressively negative impact on Nadežhda's energy reserves with an increasing chance to cause exhaustion on every use.

 

Murcielago was in play, the piece of the tree that had given him the power he now could make use of. Not full use, there was something beyond... Murcielago was still a seed in infancy, he could tell it could become greater. Bats clung to their mothers till they were ready to fly, that was the skin he'd needed back then to be accepted. But now new choices were presented, and so did the thing that Ulquiorra wanted.

Odd as it was, he'd had 4 prime movers in his life. His species, the moon, a tree, and now Aizen. What did that mean? Was that just the stages of growing up? His power changed each time he latched onto something new, was there something beyond Aizen? As impossible as it sounded, so had his species, moon, and the tree. He could only react to that which held the most influence since he himself was NOT the prime mover, he could of course make mistakes in his journey to find out who or what that is.

Holding the sword always brought new thoughts to him, pale skin clenched on the aquatic surface; feeling where his hands callous from holding the handle always like this. He presented the blade forward, as though Nade now had an entirely new opponent before her. Even his eyes changed, a heavier brow made it appear like Murcielago lent some of its emotions to Ulquiorra.

He didn't attack in this time, the spiritual pressure still told the story of Espada 7 and future Espada of a much higher rank... yet this sword - it made a difference. There looked to be an almost quiet conversation between the two, Ulquiorra adjusting as if responding to a suggestion. By now Nade was learning how he communicated without words. His current message was plain 'regrow your limb, you'll need it'.

...And she would, he didn't feel the difference between their powers right now. His own left arm raced the pace of her leg to regenerate, she was slower but that was to be expected, there was no Arrancar that could match his regeneration rate. He'd spent years impaled on a tree, his body trying to heal at all times - being put through the crucible of one simple task...become whole.

She was still reckless, had she had better control she could have stopped the lion's share of the damage her leg took. Ulquiorra was starting to see her obvious weakness, she committed to her attacks too early. No doubt it was due to such an impressive Sonido. Still, Zommari didn't have this weakness... and neither did Espada 7.

Murcielago could bypass her Hierro, she knew it now. If she had any sense she'd be more cautious. No doubt she'd been too confident because of her superior power, but Aizen didn't make use of Ulquiorra so often because of his reiashi.

She was winded... interesting. Ulquiorra's healing didn't exhaust so much stamina. A wise Arrancar used techniques they could recover from in terms of energy, Ulquiorra ( despite 3 ceros) was pacing himself. Another weakness Nade had, perhaps she might not rank as high as expected.

He still did not advance, she'd have to choose for herself if she wanted to attack an Espada with less than perfect stamina... or take the time to look like she needed such a thing while being evaluated by god.

 

Nadežhda regained complete composure within the time Ulquiorra allotted, standing there, only watching for her next move. His hints were subtle but easy to understand when one paid attention. She’d regenerated and so had he. The other Arrancar recovered limb slightly faster than herself. Both of their regenerative powers could be considered impressive even by Arrancar standards, though it’d been some time since she’d last been forced to regenerate an entire limb…

A moment spent watching one another, Weapon gripped in hand, Nadežhda quietly made a determination that Ulquiorra would make for an excellent sparring partner in the future, assuming he’d bend to her requests at such a time. But almost as if she were mocking the situation, Nadežhda copied Ulquiorra’s faceless expression. A show of force, a reminder to him that between the two, she was still a superior force. Nadežhda’s spiritual pressure radiated out into the void separating them, filling it with the crushing force that only a truly powerful arrancar could manage. And then it disappeared. Sucked back inward, concentrating, reinforcing. The same bladed delivery from before would no longer be sufficient enough to cut through her Hierro. Nadežhda’s hint to Ulquiorra in this regard came in the form of her Zanpakuto being promptly and calmly returned to its sheath. If an artificially crafted sword posed as nothing more than an extension of oneself, then strengthening oneself to match the cutting strength of that same sword would be the only thing truly needed.

Mixing in her knowledge and practice of the human race’s forms for unarmed combat and blending it with her own affinity for natural weaponry, that was where one of Nadežhda’s own strengths lay. Employing simple brute force and feral instinct with Ulquiorra would not work. As a self-proclaimed observer, even she could tell this much. His lack of interest in the human race could even pull up to be an advantage in her case. Humans were unpredictable creatures, always creating ways through, over, or around the problems in their lives. Fighting was no different. There existed literally hundreds of different ways any one individual human could fight or counter an opponent. But first…

Nadežhda’s steps were paced but casual, seemingly free of any real concern for her own wellbeing. She only stopped once she reached the severed limb, her old leg, laying helplessly on the floor at the wolfish Arrancar’s feet. She almost smiled with anticipation at what she was about to do but managed to contain the physical dialogue to an internal audience. Bending down, Nadežhda picked up the limb. ”Gin!” She shouted before throwing the old leg to him, though grabbing the Shinigami’s attention likely wasn’t necessary given the currently active trial. ”Keep that safe for me. I can use it later once we’re finished here.” This sole verbal communication ended with Nadežhda facing Ulquiorra once again. Staring him down. Silently informing him that she was now ready to play their game more seriously.

Sonido resounded, though the distance was only so far from Ulquiorra as her own leg had flown in the last attack with his retaliation. Perhaps he believed she’d been committed to the last attack, and in part he would not be incorrect in making such an assumption. But this time would be different. Nadežhda’s Sonido ended with the two of them face-to-face. Right arm retracted, forcing its way into Ulquiorra’s space. She would strike. Be it air, Ulquiorra himself, or perhaps even his sword if he managed to block in time. But regardless of the reaction he took, Nadežhda’s attack would see the terrain behind her opponent cry out in pain as it became crushed, shattering away with the force of her blow.

 

Nade's energy gripped and pulled at him, taunting him with a near childlike mockery of its superiority. That wasn't necessary though, Ulquiorra had known that going in and could feel it now, his Pesquisa was the only reason this fight was lasting as long as it was, those brief moments when her power had left her unguarded were revealed in full to someone of his level of awareness, it told him how much pressure to apply. He was designed to be an opponent that played to attrition, letting an enemy tear into their energy reserves like a ravaging animal... only to find when their cache was empty, Ulquiorra hadn't spilled any of his own.

Her next test would be one of killing her momentum, she was a being of emotion and driven by them, so what if those emotions and her actions occurred... but no result or benefit came from it? Could her mind deal with the frustration? Or surrender to new levels of ferality? To measure this, Ulquiorra Sonido'ed as she came at him, using the distance she had to travel as a strong enough buffer so that her superior speed would not be enough to land the blow.

Though landing the same distance from her as they'd just been a mental 'reset' to make her mind feel like nothing changed, despite her effort... Ulquiorra hadn't expected the wave of pressure from that attack to reach him, cracking at tiles as far as where he now positioned himself.

Murcielago glistened, light being projected from a rear panel filled the length of his weapon revealing the sharpness was mostly at the point, not the edge. This was a tool meant to stab, not cut. But it could do either, however against a superior opponent, it was best to play to his blade's advantage.

He watched her, coldness spilled from his face waiting for life to give him a reason to have a different expression. While the power difference was obvious, physically Ulquiorra looked more capable to end this fight if for no other reason he showed no signs of alteration from when the exchange had begun.

Slipping one foot forward, Murcielago tipped back hilt first over the Arrancars right shoulder, dipping in a curve point toward Nade's location. For him, this moment was no different than the moments he'd been cut, or done the cutting...all was the same to Ulquiorra, nothing had meaning beyond searching for meaning. So far, he'd come to believe his search would end up with an empty result.

There was no Sonido, in perfectly traceable speed he sprinted toward her, not unlike a human. He'd made the calculation that confusing her was his best choice, she expect a Sonido so he elected to rely on his own legs. Once in range, multi thrust of the Moon Tree edge would try to catch at her flesh in different areas. His hand worked like a piston stabbing the blade in and out of her evasions and blocks, keeping the same dull look in his eyes while becoming the equivalent of a meat grinder.

 

The thin form of a smile peeled out across Nadežhda’s features. Certainly Ulquiorra couldn’t be considered an even match to her strength by any means, but it’d been some time since she’d known the need to actually think about an opponent and how they fought and responded to her own actions. This was what she needed, a stepping stone along a much wider path, someone to help reveal to Nadežhda her own inequities so that she could improve upon them. A reason to push herself, to become stronger than the person she’d been yesterday.

When exactly had the wolfish Arrancar lost her interest in obtaining more strength? Was it when she’d evolved into the Arrancar she was now? Perhaps when the Arrancar council formed and no one else came forward to challenge her superiority? Unity, divided as it was, and likely still divided in some ways even now with Aizen and his Espada reigning over Las Noches. Strangely Hollows and humans shared an interesting connection whenever it came to those holding a superior position. Most would blindly follow their leader, turning a blind eye to questions or concerns they might otherwise be keen to ask about. Barragan, even Aizen, ruled through strength and fear. Nadežhda knew enough about the history of humans to realize that this “Emotion” and the methods through which leadership are obtained were often shared between them and the Arrancar alike… But this unity, the fear of retaliation, She’d become a part of the ruling power. Separate even as they were, many would be challengers chose to keep to themselves as a result, fearful of what might come should they be bold enough to challenge one member out of the ruling whole…

Ulquiorra’d kept his distance from her strike, but even so the ground ruptured up to where he now stood. Interesting. He’d gauged her speed and moved accordingly with minimal increase to his own expenditures. In readying himself for his next move, Nadežhda couldn’t help but broaden the brightness in her features at the thought of how wonderful a sparring partner Ulquiorra could be. Even if he wasn’t as strong as her now, the wolfish Arrancar had a feeling they might both easily be able to build upon each other in the future.

Ulquiorra pushed forward, not with the expected Sonido, but under his own mundane form of movement instead. It gave Nadežhda perhaps a bit too much time to think on how to react. The way her opponent held his weapon, his strangely human-like sprint towards her on foot. He currently lacked the stance required to execute a swinging arc efficiently. One foot fell back, shifting Nadežhda’s body sideways in order to create a smaller target for Ulquiorra’s blade. Certainly a good first countermeasure against someone using a sword to perform a stab, but that didn’t happen to be the reason Nadežhda made the shift within her own stance.

Ulquiorra’s first strike flashed forward, piercing the void of air which now stood in its path. Nadežhda’s form ducked down with speed that only an Arrancar of her particular talents could muster. Right arm returning to the battlefield, violently striking her opponent’s outstretched wrist before he had the chance to retract. Nerves would be briefly disoriented, forcing Ulquiorra’s grip on Murcielago to fail. Simultaneously, Nadežhda’s left arm struck forward, striking Ulquiorra square in the abdomen with the full force of an open palm. Tiles already loosened by the wolfish Arrancar’s earlier attack flew back, along with their newfound Arrancar companion while the destructive wave of force ripped apart others around Nadežhda.

Murcielago clattered to the ground at Nadežhda’s feet. She stood again, promptly lifting Ulquiorra’s weapon off the ground before making the small effort needed to toss it to where her opponent now stood (or fell) after being pushed back.

Standing patiently, Nadežhda waited for Ulquiorra to retrieve his weapon and see whether he would opt to continue their fight…

 

Aizen said nothing as he watched the two do battle, and Gin simply stayed out of the way. Neither had an issue serving a soul reaper, and turned to violence so quickly. Still, Nade had done well to combat Ulquiorra. Had he continued fighting, he very well might've died. "That's enough." he said in a calm voice that still somehow managed to shatter the sound of battle. It was clear that Ulquiorra was the inferior in this match, so there was no point in sacrificing him.

"So savage..." Gin commented towards Nadezhda. "I'd be 'fraida fightin' ya." His tone was almost sarcastic in how playful he sounded. He and Aizen locked eyes for a few seconds before Gin said "Aaroniero's not gonna like this. Might even come after Nade-chan." "If he beats her, then he'll get his position back." "How cold of you." Gin said with a snake-like expression. "Shall I also have a room prepared with the other privarone espada?" "See to it."

Gin looked to Ulquiorra and said "Try not to get too banged up. It was fun watching you fight.-" he then looked to Nade and said "-Don't die before I kin watch the next fight. Bye bye" and vanished. "You'll be given the rank of five." Aizen said to Nadezhda, putting her two slots under Barragan. It also meant that Ulquiorra had been knocked down a peg.

 

Kneeling down, a level of casualness approaching being animatronic guided his hand down to the hilt of Murcielago as the weapon was retrieved, and slid back into its sheath. By the time he turned back around to face Aizen, the 7 etched into his chest had shifted to an 8. The change in number did not have any other external alternations to offer, he was as emotionless as ever. To him, 8 and 7 had no difference except in importance to Aizen, but he felt no shame because Aizen now had a tool in a proper ranking to ensure he could move reality in the way it needed to go.

He did not join Nade at her side, as with all Espada over his rank Ulquiorra elected to remain behind them unless expressly summoned. His face and body dipped in an identical bow that did not delineate in any way from the first bow he'd ever given Aizen. Ulquiorra simply was what he was, constant and rigid.

Had it been someone like Grimmjow, she might have gained a rival - an unchained animal that would vow to devour her and refuse to show its throat. Cifer often compared himself to Grimmjow since he wanted to understand emotions, and Jabberjack simply possessed the most open display of them. Would he challenge her for the 5th spot? He was always trying to climb higher, but Nnoitoria was a barrier in every sense of the word.

All Ulquiorra wanted to be was serviceable, until his end.

He'd known Aizen had previously been a captain of Squad 5 for the Shinigami, was he giving Nade this position as a taunt? Throwing his old identity 'to the wolves? Or was it a mere coincidence? Coincidence was hard to assume when it came to Aizen.

Re-aligning himself to an upright position, he watched Gin in his peripheral vision. It was strange, no matter how intricately Espada 8 imagined Aizen's rise to the top - he could see no scenario where Gin fit into that. He was out of place, and yet... how could he question lord Sosuke's judgment? He would turn the world the way he best saw fit, and Ulquiorra could only be grateful to be part of that turning until his body was overwhelmed and could no longer aid Aizen... then, he would disappear. " Yes, Lord Aizen."

 

So it was to be concluded then. Ordered to stop, Nadežhda turned her attention away from Ulquiorra. The wolfish Arrancar’s respectful attention towards Aizen didn’t shift even in light of Gin’s commentary. She couldn’t help but inwardly question his purpose. He acted as if he were an equal to Aizen, yet even she could tell Gin was far from holding such true standing. Standing silent, until the appropriate audience addressed her, Nadežhda stood patiently, even as Gin vanished from the range of her pesquisa…

Nadežhda would assume the number Five… Two ranks below Barragan… Still, with today’s event the wolfish arrancar’s position among Aizen’s numbered Espada had become officially recognized. She couldn’t complain. All she needed to do from here was improve. Why the black etchings of her new ranking chose to manifest upon the back of her left thigh though, Nadežhda failed to understand. Outside Aizen’s men and the Espada themselves, at least curious eyes wouldn’t be able to readily gleam her standing at a glance.

”As you wish, Lord Aizen.” Nadežhda responded, having assumed a formal tone and respectful posturing. ”Now if you’ll excuse me.” With her presence originally being intrusive and demanding, she suspected Aizen wouldn’t object to her dismissal. Even so she offered up the request in formality. She expected the same of her own subordinates, making it only courteous that she extend the same respect towards one above herself.

Nadežhda would offer enough time to be granted the dismissal before turning to leave.

~Exit Nadežhda, thread end.

5