Chapter 33: Kaiju Biology
409 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

***

"To live is to risk it all; otherwise you are just an inert chunk of randomly assembled molecules drifting wherever the universe blows you."

-Rick Sanchez 

[Word Count 1252] 

***

"So y-you are like a scientist now?" Tendo asked awkwardly while his eyes furtively roamed over my figure.

Hmm, I knew what he was thinking.

"It seems so," I hummed a reply.

He then cast me a skeptical look.

"What?" I arched my brows with a questioning look.

"Just because a guy is buff and all doesn't mean he's dumb or anything," I then smiled.

I didn't get annoyed by his skepticism anyway.

"Oh boy, I think I have learned something new," he responded while scratching his head awkwardly.

"It's good to be open-minded sometimes, Tendo," I said in a mild tone as we arrived in front of huge steel door with a passcode security mechanism. 

"Dr. El, welcome to your new lab," he said enthusiastically while pressing on a few buttons to enter the secret passcode which no longer became a secret from a single glance of mine.

The door automatically opened and Tendo led me in.

"So this is it. I hope you are satisfied with our preparations, Dr. El," Tendo looked uneasily at my face, anticipating what kind of response I would give him.

"It's fine," I spoke casually while looking around.

The lab was neither too big nor too small. Just a moderate size. Nothing too fancy like my personal lab.

"Er, the password-" Tendo wanted to tell me the password but since I already knew it, I shooed him away.

"You can go." 

"Okay." Tendo then left me to my own devices as he closed the door shut behind him.

After having some sense of privacy, I took my lab coat from the inventory and then wore it.

"I wonder what the Precursors are now thinking," I smiled to myself.

"Since they are neurally linked to the Kaijus via a hivemind system, did they catch a glimpse of my brutality as I forcefully decapitated Knifehead's head with my bare hand?" 

"Were they able to get a look at such my massive and mysterious Jaeger that is unlike anything that they have ever encountered?" I thought amusedly. 

I couldn't exactly rule out such a thought.

"A pretty vague race and I think that is what makes them terrifying since they never come out of the light. They silently work in the shadows," I said to myself while rubbing my chin.

"Dr. Geiszler was daring and reckless when he decided to drift with a half-dead Kaiju brain from Mutavore."

"But I liked his crazy move. At least, he got some balls of steel."

Even though he got the information that he needed by accessing the genetic memories stored in the Kaiju brain, the Precursors also appreciated the information about the plans of the humans.

A win-win situation.

Honestly, I didn't plan to do a direct neural drift with the alien creatures. It wasn't even something under my plans.

I just wanted to study some Kaiju biology. 

How were they bio-engineered into these alien gargantuas capable of defying the square-cube laws?

How was there internal biochemistry?

Were their internal bodies running on nuclear fission to emit the radiations?

Did they have a anatomical digestive system similar to that of living organisms on earth or were they just inherently alien and incomprehensible to human reasoning?

I knew that Dr. Geiszler had once researched and found that the Kaiju DNA was similar across all forms of the category system.

They were cloned, and physically grafted, an amalgamation of different body parts that could potentially be used as lethal weapons capable of easily neutralizing Jaegers.

Just take Slattern for example, she has three prehensile tails, Leatherback had an EMP-organ fixed on its head, and Otachi could spit out acidic liquid that could easily melt through the metal covering of a Jaeger.

Was the liquid, acidic or basic? I couldn't help but speculate. 

"Kaiju blue blood contains large amounts of ammonia so… yeah, we got that alkaline attribute." 

"Anyway, I have got some fresh specimen to work on but this room won't be enough to accommodate it," I shrugged.

It would be better to work with the secondary brain and the drops of kaiju blue, it had to offer.

The temporal stasis inside the Inventory was a good environment to prevent the decay of specimen that are prone to ultra-cellular death.

I took the Holo-viewer and placed on the clean white bench and projected a miniaturized holographic figure of Knifehead.

I could essentially map out its whole anatomy using my [Super Vision].

"The Kaijus are all asexual," I commented while zooming toward the pelvic region and zooming further into the pre-existing internal structure that had no definite reproductive organ.

"Hmm, so it's like that." I nodded to myself while thinking.

"No biological requirements whatsoever; no need for food-"

I then took a drop of Kaiju blood, scanned it, then projected its bio-molecular structure in front of me.

"Wow, the cells are behaving just like cancer cells. The molecular configuration is unlike anything I have ever seen."

"So this is what it means to be alien. While cancer cells are a one-way-ticket to death as they upharzardly continue to replicate all over the body, these Kaiju cells are hyperactively extending their telomeres with each cell division process."

This… 

"Aliens are really cool," I exclaimed with zeal while observing the genetic code and trying to run simulations in my mind on how to decode the alien DNA.

"Instead of double helix strands, or triple helix ones, this alien DNA is extremely encrypted. I see so many strands." I noted down.

"It is simply beyond the realm of normal biology." And it felt like bull crap.

Heck, the world I was in for one didn't make sense either.

And then a random idea popped up in my mind. An idea that was connected with the Kaijus but differed from what I was currently doing.

"That's a good idea, indeed." I laughed and started pacing around the laboratory for any technological scraps that I could find.

After assembling all the things that I needed (anything could do actually), I started creating a drone - a Kaiju drone.

I called it Kaiju drone since I was using both Kaiju blood(Knifehead's blood) and a mini nuclear reactor to power it up.

It was unlike the Kaiju-Jaeger hybrids used in the Uprising war. It was just a normal drone that could run expeditions.

It was fixed with camera systems that could picture any environment with astonishing clarity. It could also camouflage well to prevent being easily discovered.

"I think this would make Marshal Pentecost more trustful and dependent on my thoughts." 

After all the Kaiju drone made from scraps could easily pass through the 'gate' that led to the Precursors' meat factory!

[Earned +1 resource point!]

"Oh, I didn't think that the system would reward me for accomplishing the hybridization." 

Honestly, I had already learned to not have too much expectations and dependency on the system's offers.

[Current Resources Points: 11]

KNOCK!

KNOCK!

Someone was knocking on my door.

Who is it? I thought while extending my vision beyond the thickness of the metallic door.

"Jennie Hale. What does she want?" I muttered to myself. 

"Oh, I now remember telling her that we will talk later on." But she just had to choose one of my sacred moments.

"Hmm, Let's see," I sighed to myself and went to open the door anyway.

***

 

8