1-7 Goblins make good friends
365 3 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hours passed until Heather's arms ached from throwing stones. They had an impressive pile of apples and hoped it would be enough to trade for the panel. The new challenge was to carry them all, and Heather piled as many as she could into Frank's arms before picking up the rest herself. She was sore, tired, and sweaty, but her stomach was happily full. As the minutes passed and her arms grew even more tired, she began to complain.

“How far away is this village?” she groaned while struggling to hold the pile of apples in her arms.

“Another mile,” Frank sighed as he fought with his own pile of apples stacked so high he could barely see over.

“Another mile?” she protested. “Do you have any idea how sore my arms are?”

“My arms are sore too,” he replied. “It took hours of throwing to get those apples down.”

“You should have cut the trees down,” Heather snipped as they rounded a bend. She froze in her steps and turned to glare at him as he hid behind his pile of apples. Before them was a cluster of short trees less than half as tall as the others and laden with apples easily reached from the ground.

“Why didn’t we pick these?” she yelled, dropping her apples to point at the trees. “We could have done this in half the time with less work.”

“I didn't know these were here,” he said in his defense. “I don't come here very often, and even if I did, I don’t eat apples.”

She kicked an apple in frustration before kneeling to begin gathering them back up. There was no point in being upset about it now, and Frank was only trying to help. As she picked up the first couple of apples, they heard a strange noise followed by a chorus of barking voices.

“What is that?” Heather asked as she stood up, an apple in each hand.

“It sounds like fighting,” Frank said as he struggled to look over his pile of apples.

“Who would be fighting?” she asked, suddenly unsure what to do.

“I don’t know, but those voices sound like goblins,” he replied. “Let’s sneak closer and get a better view.”

Heather nodded in agreement and followed as Frank carefully let the way. They crept down the trail until the forest opened up and a palisade wall made of tree trunks driven into the ground. Beyond was a clearing dotted by a dozen or more crude huts made of sticks and grass. Animal skins hung in doorways, and the windows were little more than holes. They crouched in the trees outside the wall and watched as goblins ran in every direction.

“Why are they running around like that?” Heather whispered.

“I think somebody is attacking the village,” Frank replied as he leaned around the pile of apples.

As they watched, three burly goblins in fur armor, and wielding clubs, charged across the open yard. They vanished from view behind some of the huts, where the sounds of battle erupted, followed by a mocking laugh.

“We need to find your panel,” Frank said as he dropped an apple. “We might be able to steal it back in the confusion.”

Heather turned on him and shook her head as the apple rolled against her foot. “Will you please put down those apples. I don’t think they are going to be interested in trading right now.”

Frank let the fruit fall and led the way an opening in the wall nearest to them. They peaked around the corner for a better view and saw a burly goblin fighting with a man wrapped tightly in black cloth who danced around rapidly with two short narrow knives.

“That's a ninja,” Frank said. Even as he spoke, a line of blue flames raced past the man in black and struck another goblin throwing it back. A tall man with white hair and pointed ears appeared from behind a hut. He wore robes of blue and silver walking with a staff of white wood topped by a red crystal. “That's an elf wizard of some kind.”

Heather watched as the man began to chant and sway his hands. With a strange word, he spread his fingers out, producing a second blast of blue flames.

“How do we find my panel?” Heather whispered as she ducked back, afraid of being seen. Frank dared to lean out and take a better look around, searching the scene for something.

“There!” he said, pointing to a larger building in the back. It was built on a little hill with a wooden walkway around it. Unlike the other huts, this one had a crude door made of stout branches lashed together. “That has to be the chieftain's hut,” Frank said. “The goblins that took your panel were runts. They probably brought it straight to the chief.”

Heather nodded and dared another look. The goblins were fighting back, but the attackers were better equipped for the fight. Still, numbers were on the goblin's side as the little ones hurled stones and spears while the larger ones fought directly. Provided they stalled the players long enough, she and Frank might be able to slip in and out unnoticed.

“We need to sneak over there while they are distracted,” Frank said as if reading her thoughts.

There was a crashing sound, and part of a hut caved in as a goblin brute was hurled through it. A tall human with a blue painted face and shaved head laughed mockingly as the hapless goblin slowly got up. He had a single rope of hair growing from the back of his head decorated with golden rings. His armor was only a thick belt and a pair of pants, leaving his muscled chest bare.

“That’s a barbarian,” Frank sighed. “We better hurry before they kill the whole village.”

Heather nodded and followed Frank as he led the way into the hugging the wall. They darted from building to building as the battle raged on, making their way to the large hut at the back. Unfortunately, it appeared the band of adventurers had the same idea as they slowly fought their way across the yard.

Heather was enthralled to see other players using magic and fighting with great skill. She saw the ninja player vanish and reappear behind a goblin, his sword thrust through the hapless creature's chest. The barbarian tackled another with a bellowing laugh, throwing it to the ground so forcefully the goblin crumpled.

“Why are they attacking the goblins?” she asked as the display went on.

“For the experience and treasure,” Frank replied.

“They are killing them for fun, isn’t that cruel?”

“It’s how the world works,” Frank said with a shrug as he looked around the corner of the last house. “The only thing these players are doing that might be wrong is they are much higher level than the goblins.”

“So what does that mean?” Heather pressed. Frank darted to another building and waited for her to catch up before replying.

“The higher level you are, the stronger you are. These players should be fighting ogres or trolls; goblins are no match for them.” He paused to look around the building studying the distance to their destination.

Heather crept up behind him and looked across the gap to see there was no more cover. They would have to run across an empty stretch of the camp to the chief's hut. With any luck, the adventurers wouldn't see them, but they needed to go quickly before they got any closer.

“I will go first,” Frank said as he leaned out. “You follow me three seconds behind.”

“Why three seconds?” she asked nervously.

“So we don’t get separated.”

“Then why don’t I follow you immediately?” she asked.

“Because I didn't want us to be a single target,” Frank said. “I am going to run to the wall and climb through that window.” He motioned with a hand to a large window on the side. “They shouldn't see us from that side.

Heather nodded and took a deep breath knowing there was no turning back.

“Here we go,” Frank said and dashed across the yard, his arms flailing awkwardly as always.

Heather counted to three and ran after him as fast as she could. She heard the sounds of goblin roars and the mocking laugh of the barbarian to her right. She didn't dare to look, keeping her focus on the wall as Frank arrived. She reached him a few moments later, breathing a sigh of relief to be hidden again.

Frank stood up first and pressed against the wall before going to the window. He put his arms through and began to claw his way inside. Once inside, he reached a hand down to pull her up. She took his hand with a flinch, feeling the cold rubbery texture wrap around her. She almost yelped as he yanked her up, pulling her into the window with ease.

They arrived in a room that was a mismatch of items from a dozen styles and themes. There were fine rugs laid out next to animal skins and a crude bed of straw with fine silk blankets. An ornate table of oak rested against one wall with three chairs, all different styles, and heights. On the wall was a magnificent oil painting of a man with a devilish smile hanging so crooked it was almost sideways. There were pots, jars, bowls, and baskets scattered all over the place, holding items from eggs to rocks. A stack of wooden crates was piled in one corner, and before it was five barrels filled with red apples.

“Let’s trade apples for it!” Heather snapped as she pointed at the barrels. “Like they need any more apples!”

“How was I supposed to know they had all those?” he said defensively.

She huffed and began to look around the room, desperate to find the missing panel. “It’s like a flea market in here.”

“They probably stole this stuff from the surrounding areas,” Frank said.

“So, where is my panel?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” he replied as he started to shuffle about tossing items aside. “It has to be in here someplace.”

Heather joined him in searching the room as the sounds of battle grew closer.

“We don’t have much time,” Heather said as she flung some baskets over. “It sounds like they are right outside.”

“It must be hidden under something,” Frank said as he threw a stack of satin pillows. “Just keep looking.”

“Oh, this is pretty,” Heather said as she found a hand mirror decorated with silver flowers. “Do you think I could keep it??

“We can worry about getting you things after you have your panel,” Frank reminded her.

She frowned and tucked the mirror into her back pocket as she went back to searching. The table was covered with forks and spoons. Next to it was a collection of tall wicker baskets inside of which she found feathers, a pile of shiny rocks, and a bunch of mismatched shoes. Further down the wall were some wooden crates that contained old bottles, broken glass, and what looked like seashells.

She jumped, spilling the shells to the floor as the building shook with a loud thud as something hit the outer wall.

“They are right outside,” Frank said in a hushed voice.

Heather became frantic in her search as she tossed boxes and crates aside until she stood at the barrels. She sighed, looking at all the apples before noticing the blue light. Standing on her toes, she leaned over the top to see a faint blue glow coming from a dark space behind them.

“I think I found it!” Heather exclaimed as she climbed onto the barrels to look into the space. She leaned over and looked into the eyes of a goblin hiding clutching the panel to its chest. The goblin screamed, and Heather fell back in an avalanche of apples as the creature tried to climb out and escape. Frank was to the barrels in a moment as the goblin took one look at him and tried to hide under the panel.

Heather scrambled to her feet and grabbed hold of the panel, wrestling with the creature. “Give me my panel!” she yelled as the monster clung to it for dear life. Frank rushed to help pull the panel away from the goblin, grabbing hold with his strong hands. Together they yanked it free, stumbling back as the crude wooden door burst open.

The tall elven man stood in the doorway with a pleased smirk on his face. The ninja appeared at his side out of nowhere as the muscular barbarian came to stand behind them.

“What have we here?” the elf wizard said as his eyes took in the room.

Heather stood before them, holding the panel with Frank to her right and the goblin cowering behind them both.

“A woman with a ghoul servant?” the barbarian questioned with a rub at his chin.

“It has to be a necromancer!” the ninja said as he pointed a thin knife here way.

“My, my,” the elf said as he took a step into the room. “A foolish choice for your class. Necromancy is outlawed.”

“I was just getting something the goblins stole from me,” Heather said as the barbarian stepped into the room. He towered over the rest and held a massive ax with both hands.

“She must be worth a fortune if she’s strong enough to summon ghouls,” the barbarian said.

“And subjugate the goblins,” the ninja added.

The elf smiled broadly. “Killing her will be a huge reward.”

“Or we can take her back for the reward,” the ninja said.

Heather looked at Frank with wide eyes but only had a moment before the elf began to chant. His hands came up glowing with a blue light as the barbarian raised his ax and came running in.

Heather screamed and mimicked the goblin by holding the panel up like a shield. A blue bolt of fire flew through the air with a snapping noise to strike the blue surface. It reflected off the panel at an odd angle, hitting the barbarian and knocking him back.

“What happened?” Heather said as she heard the crash of the big man hitting the floor. She looked to the wizard and ninja to see startled looks on both faces. Before she could react, the ninja vanished in a puff of smoke as the elf cursed and raised his staff.

“You are outmatched!” he cried and then spoke a word of power. The staff glowed brilliant white, and a bolt of electricity shot out. Heather ducked behind her panel again, but the wizard aimed lower this time. It struck her flat in the stomach and passed right through. There was a cry of shock as the ninja appeared behind her, taking the bolt to his chest. The impact was so powerful it picked him off his feet, hurling him out the window.

“She must be ethereal,” the barbarian said as he struggled to get up.

“Impossible!” the elf wizard yelled. “There hasn’t been a necromancer that high in years!”

The barbarian reached for his ax, but Frank leaped at him. The two collided and toppled into the wall as Frank flailed at him with claws and teeth.

“Get this vile thing off me!” the barbarian cried as Frank bit the man's shoulder.

“It will die if its master dies,” the elf proclaimed, his eyes fixating on Heather. “First, we need to get rid of that spell rendering you ethereal.” He went into another chant as glowing runes formed around his wrists. His feet lifted off the floor as the power of his spell collected, his hands taking on a blue hue.

Heather saw the spell forming and realized there was nowhere to run. She turned around and hid her face as the wizard cast greater dispel magic.

A bolt of blue light raced at Heather as the wizard laughed. It struck the mirror in her back pocket and bounced right back as his eyes went wide with shock. He howled as the magic surged over him, stripping him of his power and causing him to fall to the floor.

“My magic? It’s gone! How!” he roared as he struggled to use his staff to get up. Frank crashed into the wall beside him as the barbarian finally threw him off and staggered to his feet.

“She's too strong for us!” he roared and grabbed his ax. He ran for the door scooping up the elf with one arm before fleeing outside.

“Ow!” Frank cried as he lay on the floor.

Heather looked up from her cowering to see the door hanging from one rope hinge.

“What happened?” she asked, turning all around to see they were alone.

“I think I broke my liver,” Frank groaned as he lifted an arm.

Heather whirled around to see him crawling in a pile of apples. “Are you alright?” she asked in a panic.

“I’m fine,” he groaned. “Undead heal fast. I should be able to stand in an hour, maybe.”

She came to his side and knelt beside him, tucking the panel under one arm. “Did you fight that man to protect me?”

“Ghouls are very dangerous fighters up close,” Frank said. “Our touch makes people weaker by draining their strength. If I can get hold of somebody long enough, it paralyzes them.”

“I took your hand at the window, and it didn't hurt me,” Heather said.

“You're still level zero, and besides, I can choose when to use it.”

Heather nodded and held out a hand with a nervous smile. He looked at her hand but didn’t move as she struggled to hold her gaze on him.

“Come on, let me help you up,” she said when he hesitated. She flinched slightly as he reached out and took her hand, His skin was cold to the touch and felt like holding wet rubber, but she grinned and pulled him up. There was an awkward moment when he finally got to his feet, and they had to let go of each other.

“At least we have your panel,” he said as she held it out.

“Yeah,” Heather replied as she turned the strange object over. It was the size of a lunch tray and metallic silver on one side. The other side was dominated by what looked like a computer screen. There was a row of blue lights down one side and a picture of himself on the screen. Her inspection lasted only a moment before she noticed the goblin standing before her.

The creature was four feet tall and had the familiar pointed ears and nose of the goblins. This one, however, had long dark hair that was crudely braided. It wore a yellow dress, painted flowers, and belted at the waist by a piece of rope.

“It’s a girl,” Frank said.

“I am queen Umtha,” the little creature said. “You save Umtha life.”

Heather looked at Frank with a raised brow. “Queen?” Heather repeated. “I thought you said there was a chief?”

Frank shrugged. “The last time I saw the goblins, there was a chief.”

“How long ago was that?” she asked.

“I don't know, back when I first got here,” he admitted.

Heather looked confused and turned back to the little creature that stood nervously beside them. Umtha fell into a clumsy curtsy and spoke with a gruff voice.

“Goblins will remember the necromancer who save them.”

“I’m not a necromancer,” Heather said. “I don’t even know what a necromancer is.”

“I told you it’s a wizard that can summon and control the dead,” Frank reminded her.

“That doesn't help,” Heather replied with a shake of her head.

“You is powerful necromancer,” Queen Umtha said. “You beat the wizard Tyragar, the enemy of goblins.” She stepped closer and reached out a hand. “You friend to goblins.”

Heather looked to Frank, unsure what to do. He offered no solution, so she decided to play along and run with what the Umtha believed.

“That's right, I did beat the wizard!” she declared boldly. “Because I am the greatest necromancer that ever lived! My army is poised to sweep the lands and make all the people my slaves!”

“What are you doing?” Frank whispered.

“I don’t know,” Heather admitted under her breath. “It sounded good.”

“Goblins help you!” Queen Umtha said eagerly. “Goblins will serve the necromancer!”

Heather smiled smugly at the proclamation as Frank covered his face with his hands.

“What necromancer's name?” the queen asked.

She smiled broadly and let out a pleased sigh. “I am Heather. Heather, the necromancer, and this land will tremble at my passing!”

The goblin queen clapped eagerly as Heather smiled. Today was a triumph, and she felt pleased with herself. While she boasted of her soon-to-be great deeds, a silent and slightly singed figure listened in earnest. When her boasting was done, the shadowy form outside the window slipped away.

18