5-4 A Queen, a king, and a princess
78 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Heather, Frank, Quinny, Breanne, Legeis, and Finneous stood before the gates of Gwen's city.

"Did she ever tell us the name of this city?”" Heather asked.

"Ellowshire," Frank replied as she cautiously looked into the streets.

"That was the name of her kingdom," Breanne corrected. "I don't recall if she ever named the city."

"You two are really planning on walking right into a city?" Finneous asked with a smile as he nodded to Frank and Quinny."

"What choice do we have?" Frank asked. "I would rather wait outside while Heather and Breanne went in."

"We're all going in," Heather said. "Gwen needs to know who we are and that we are friends so she can set laws forbidding your reset."

"And what if she hears stories about a necromancer traveling with a ghoul and zombie?" Breanne asked. "She might put those pieces together and try to claim the reward."

Heather held up the kingdom heart and with a smile. "She has wanted this back for a long time. I doubt she will turn her back on the people who recovered it for her."

"You have more faith in people than I do," Breanne replied.

"Look, the city is empty anyway,” Heather insisted. “This is our one chance to show her who we really are and explain our situation. The swamps fall inside her kingdom, so we need her cooperation if we want to remain here."

"Are you going to tell her everything?" Quinny asked, hinting at Heather's secret.

"I am a flower singer," Heather replied. "Let's not push our luck."

With determined hearts, they entered the gates and made their way into the empty streets. A few NPC villagers wandered about and fled the moment they saw them, but otherwise, it was as empty as before. They found the same guard standing watch at the inner gate, standing at attention with a blind stare. Heather led the way, calling to him as they approached to announce their presence. He looked up and nodded, then jumped in shock, leveling a spear at the party.

"No monsters in the castle!" he shouted. "Alarm! The city has been invaded!"

The group waited for a response looking around as if an army of guards were going to appear.

"I don't think you're going to get much help," Heather said. "We just came to talk to Gwen. Could you take us to her throne room?"

"I won't be letting those monsters past this gate," the man shouted, his spear waiving in her face.

"Oh well," Heather sighed. "Frank, it's your turn."

Before the guard could react, Frank grabbed him by the throat and hoisted him up. He thrashed for a moment but went limp as the ghoul paralysis took hold.

"Sorry to do this to you, but we really must see the queen," Heather said as Frank set him down gently. "You will be fine in an hour."

She led the way into the halls arriving at the white marble grand chambers to find an empty wooden throne. Heather went directly to the rope and pulled, causing a ringing of bells to echo from above. Her backpack shifted as Webster tried to peek out, and she quickly urged him back.

"I don't want her to see I have a spider familiar," Heather whispered. "Now be good and stay still."

He made a chirping groan from inside as she walked back to the others and waited for the queen to arrive. It wasn't long before a form appeared in an arched doorway, and Gwen stepped out. She wore a white gown, embroidered with golden vines, her long dark hair woven into delicate braids that made loops down her back. The necklace of blue stones still hung on her neck as she stepped into the light, her eyes fixating on the group.

"What is this?" she cried. "I have lost so much control that monsters from the swamp have come into my throne room?" she threw a hand up as a light pulsed above it, forming into a slender sword. Brilliant light obscured her form as she lept into the air, landing on her feet in full metal plate, her head the only exposed area.

"You will find attacking the queen in her heart of power a foolish endeavor," she said as she pointed the sword her way.

"Wow," Quinny said. "She's a power ranger."

"Wait," Heather said as she stepped forward. "We didn't come here to attack you. We came to fulfill our promise."

Gwen didn't move as her eyes fixed on Heather. "You are the flower singer I sent into the swamps a week ago."

"I am," Heather replied.

"Where is the rest of our party? I only see your elven ranger,” Gwen stated as she glanced to Breanne.

Heather smiled and turned to the others. "That's is the rest of my party. We used a magic potion to disguise them so we could enter the city."

Gwen lowered her sword just a bit as she looked over the group. There was obvious moment of conflict, but she seemed less threatened.

"Your flower sprite seems a little less flowery and has changed genders," Gwen pointed out when she looked at Legeis.

"Is she talking about me?" he asked.

"I will explain it later," Heather said with a smile. She stepped closer to Gwen as she held out her hand. "I believe this is what you wanted back."

Gwen's eyes darted to see what Heather was holding and froze in shock. "My kingdom heart!" she cried, staring at the stone in Heather's hand. She looked up with a confused expression, as if unable to believe what she was seeing. "You brought it back?"

"I told you I would," Heather said and held it out.

"Why?" Gwen stammered, unable to believe the stone was in her reach. Carefully she plucked it from Heather's finger and cradled it in her hands as a smile crossed her face. "I don't know what to say."

"All we want are the few things you agreed to give us," Heather said. "A bookstore in the city and a village. Our friend Finneous is a village builder. He would like to make one his home."

"Actually, I had a better idea," Finneous chimed in. "I notice that ruined keep in the swamp, and I wonder if I could build my village beside it."

"Of course," Gwen whispered, not truly paying attention as her eyes went back to the stone. "You shall have all of that and more." She looked up with wet eyes and gazed over the group. "I suppose since you have gone through the trouble of dropping your deceptions, I should drop mine.

"You are hiding something from us?" Breanne asked.

Gwen nodded and clutched the stone firmly in one hand. "Indeed. I may be in decline, but news does reach these walls, especially when that news is spectacular." She fixed her gaze on Heather as a smile broadened her face. "Who would have ever believed I would be saved by a necromancer."

Heather stepped back as Gwen continued to smile with a soft expression.

"You know?" Heather gasped.

"Know?" Gwen laughed. "Dear Heather. There is a description of a woman who travels with a ghoul, a zombie, and a banshee," she said, turning her gaze on Breanne. "They say the goblins fight with vicious tenacity at her command," she added as her gaze shifted to Legeis. "The only person in this room that doesn't fit the description is him," she finished by pointing her sword to Finneous.

"We need to go," Frank urged with a tense voice.

"No, you do not," Gwen replied. "Do you know how many times I sent letters to the northern kingdoms begging them for aid? Have you any idea how many times I pleaded with the leaders of mercenary companies, guilds, the heads of knightly orders, and even King Kevin himself? Did they ever send their vaunted paladins or their heroes to recover my stone?" She made a disgusted expression and began to pace, the anger apparent on her face.

"They showed how much value I held in their eyes. I was left to rot like a rat trapped in a cage. Then along comes a necromancer and her undead friends who do what the good and noble people of the land would not." Gwen held up the stone and looked at it as a tear ran down her cheek. "You have no idea how much this means to me, Princess," Gwen said, turning her gaze back on Heather.

"Princess?" Heather repeated as the stone began to glow in Gwen's hand.

"I am the Queen of Ellowshire, and I name thee Princess Heather of Ellowshire, High flower singer of my court, and second in command of my lands."

Heather's eyes went wide as she began to glow with a golden light. She looked to the others, who were in shock as the glow began to fade.

"To the rest of you, I grant the title of champion. No guard or NPC of my domain will react to you as monsters, though I have no control over the players." They, too, began to glow with golden light that faded in moments.

"So we can come to the city whenever we want?" Quinny asked.

"She said the guards wouldn't attack us, but the players will," Breanne said.

"I might be able to help with that too," Gwen said. "I will need some time, but once players return, I will open a magic crafters guild. I am sure a magical item can be made to give you a more stable appearance than a potion would."

"So, you're not going to turn us in?" Frank asked.

"Turn you in to who?" Gwen asked. "I don't need king Kevin's reward to have a kingdom, and he couldn't be bothered to lift a finger to help me. Let the fool search for you in vain. I am not required to bend a knee to his demands."

"That will bring war on your kingdom," Breanne said. "If you won't cooperate with him, he will come and take it by force."

"He has no idea you are here, and even if he did, let him come," Gwen said. "I have been in this world a long time, even before the name Kevin was spoken in reverence." Gwen turned and looked to the room about them. "I have been restored to my power, and my level is great. Few in this world can boast of triple digits, but I have them aplenty."

"She is over a hundredth level?" Quinny gasped.

"Wait," Heather said. "If you are so powerful, why didn't you go and get the stone yourself?"

Gwen laughed and held up her hand, the stone floating above her palm as it glowed brightly. "My power is tied to the kingdom, and the stone was taken beyond its reach. I knew it was in the upper swamps, but the borders of my domain do not reach the far side. The keep on the upper ledge is the edge of what is mine to control. There is still much I can do outside my domain, but without the stone, I could not use my power."

“She’s like a monster player,” Frank said. “She’s weak when she’s too far from her lair.”

“Indeed,” Gwen said with a smile. “But truth be told, the real issue was the kingdom itself. If I had left my domain to go after the stone I might have recovered it, but my kingdom would have faded and be gone by the time I came back. The loss of power I would have suffered was too great to bear. I needed somebody to fetch it for me or I would have to give up years of work.”

The stone pulsed with a brilliant light, and the room around them changed. Tapestries of ornate nature scenes hung on the walls. Statues cut from colorful stones stood in places, as did two dozen men in arms. The center of the room was dominated by three long tables with a red runner down the center. It was covered in platters of food in every description. Servants appeared in green and red livery, carrying pitchers of wine and steaming plates of meat.

"Come, sit and eat," Gwen beckoned. "We have much to talk about. I want to know how a necromancer came to be my savior."

For the next two hours, Heather and the others told the story of how she came to be. Gwen was fascinated by Moon and their adventures to get pizza. She promised to find somebody to open a pizza place in the city so Heather and the others could eat. As the story went on, Heather suggested that her name was too well known. To protect her identity, she should be Hannah while in the kingdom.

"Princess Hannah," Gwen said with a tap of a finger. "I wonder if I should name you as my daughter."

"We don't have to go that far," Heather insisted.

"Why not?" Gwen said with a broad smile.

"I'm a little old to be your daughter," Heather pointed out.

"True, but this world works very differently. A married couple can choose to name somebody as their child, provided that person allows it. You would have our last name to further your disguise, and I certain privileges in knowing your location and if you were in danger. It would also allow me to use a mother's love on you."

"What is that?" Heather asked in wonder.

"A spell that soothes, heals, and gives you a very short defense buff. I can cast it on you no matter where you are in the kingdom if I sense you are in danger."

"I am not sure I like this. It's kinda starting to border on creepy," Heather said.

"A lot of things in this world only work when the right criteria are met. For example, if I had a king, I could add a child, and by being a child, you would have increased power and privileges while in the kingdom," Gwen said. "And if you went into other kingdoms, they would have to recognize you as a princess."

"But she is already a princess," Quinny said.

"Yes, but that will only be recognized here. If she becomes a proper child, she will be recognized as a princess wherever she goes. It would also allow me to grant her a lesser kingdom heart, allowing her to make some small changes on her own."

"Alright, maybe it's not so bad," Heather agreed, wondering if she could use such a heart to make more golems. "But you don't have a king."

"Hmm," Gwen said and looked down the table. "You," she said in a commanding tone as she pointed at Finneous. "How would you like to be king?"

He looked up in shock, his straw hat tipping back. "Me? King?"

"I need a husband to name a daughter, nothing more,” Gwen replied.

"Aww, he doesn't get the bedroom privileges," Quinny laughed.

"You can't help yourself, can you?" Breanne interrupted. "We are having a serious discussion here."

"Are we?" Finneous choked. "I mean, are you seriously asking me to be king?"

Gwen sighed and plucked a small cake from a tray. "The system says I have to be married to name a child. I only need you to agree to take the title, so I can abuse the systems that unlock with it. I expect you to live in your town, not my bed chambers."

Finneous smiled broadly and leaned back in his chair. "I don't think I am king material."

"I am not asking you to sit on the throne; just help me gain access to the functions," Gwen pressed.

"Will this give me more options for my town?" he asked.

"Of course it will," Gwen said. "As king, you could restore the whole keep and turn it into part of your town."

"I don't know," Finneous replied as he rubbed his chin.

"You can't seriously be considering turning this down," Heather remarked, unable to believe how evasive the man was being.

"I kinda like to keep a low profile, if you know what I mean," he replied.

"She just told you that you were only going to be king so she could use the unlocked abilities. To everybody else, you will be Finneous mayor of swamp town," Heather said with a roll of her eyes.

"I wasn't going to name it swamp town," he replied.

"That's not the point," Heather snapped, then sighed and took a moment to collect her thoughts. "Look, ever since I got here, I have been struggling to adapt and accept my new life. I lose my temper a lot, and I take it out on the people I care about most," she highlighted this point by looking at Frank. "I am sorry I get angry, I don't want to be here, but I am grateful for all the help my friends have given me. Now please, all we're asking is you agree to fill a checkbox so she can check another one and help us."

Finneous looked around a moment and shrugged. "I suppose there is no harm in it. It would be nice to have a few NPC guards in my town."

"Easily arranged," Gwen said. "If I reactivate the keep, there will be a whole garrison you can position as you wish."

Finneous nodded and tipped his hat back up. "I agree, but nobody calls me king. I don't need too much attention drawn to me."

"Ooh, somebody has a secret," Quinny said.

"We knew that already," Breanne reminded as she turned her gaze on Finneous. "But even I have to admit my curiosity has peeked."

"See, this is exactly what I don't want," Finneous said as he pointed around the table with a fork.

"Look, let's just do the deed and never talk about it again," Heather urged before he got spooked and backed out.

"I had a boyfriend who said that once," Quinny joked.

"You honestly can't help it," Breanne said with a shake of her head.

"Oh, lighten up, grandma," Quinny shot back.

"I can see you are all good friends," Gwen said with a smile.

They spent the rest of the night talking about the city and the changes Gwen was going to make. The hours went by until Heather began to nod with heavy eyes. Gwen bid them stay in the castle for the night so she could prepare a surprise for the morning.

The next day the sun rose, shining through a towering window as Heather awoke to stretch on a massive canopy bed. Webster snored in little chirps on the pillow beside her as she got up and went to the window. She looked out over a city that already looked different. The gloom seemed to have dissipated, and the colors more vivid in the sun. She was startled when the door opened, and a maid came in to fuss over her and brush her hair. The woman addressed her as Princess Hannah and helped her dress before urging her to go to the dining hall for breakfast. She woke Webster, who grumbled and tried to go back to sleep. She picked him up, carrying him as he laid limply in her arms.

Heather crept into the hall to find Frank and Legeis talking just outside.

"Hello, boys," she called sweetly as she stepped into the hall wearing a fancy white dress. Her hair was brushed, braided, and full of ribbon. Her face gently powered, blushed, and a smiling.

"Heather?" Frank said with a tilted head.

"Wow," Legeis remarked. "You took to being a princess quickly."

Heather smiled and strutted toward them, a spider firmly in her arms. "I can get used to this."

"You look, good," Frank said, stumbling over his words.

"Why, thank you," Heather replied. "I am told there is a breakfast to be had in the dining hall. Would you boys care to accompany me?"

"You got this princess role nailed down," Legeis laughed. "Sure, I could use a little food."

Heather smiled and swung her arm out to Frank, who looked at it uncertain.

"Are you going to accompany me or not?" Heather asked with a delicate smile.

Frank slowly slipped his arm through hers, and she led the way, talking about how comfortable the bed was and how amazing everything turned out. They explored a castle that was reborn, full of artwork, tapestries, rugs, and flowers. Servants were busy cleaning and running chores, stopping only to bow or curtsy as they went by.

The dining hall was a lovely open space with papered walls of red and gold, decorated with little dragon emblems. Thick wooden beams carved and ornate ran up the walls and across a trayed ceiling and decorated in more red and gold. An enormous fireplace of white marble rested on one wall while the other was all windows showing a splendid view of the forests south of the castle. The room's center was dominated by a long banquette table on which sat the most delicious of foods. There were plates of bacon, ham, eggs, bread, toast, grapes, pears, and apples. A bowl of raisins sat next to one of figs. There were little pastry treats that smelled sweet and were covered in sugar and raspberries. Heather wasn't surprised at all to discover Quinny was already here, a plate piled high with treats from every end of the table. Breanne sat across from her, nibbling at some bacon, a pleased smile on her face.

"Well, I guess some people don't know they are supposed to wait for the princess to eat first," Heather remarked, struggling to hold in her laughter.

"You took forever to sleep," Quinny replied with a mouth full of eggs.

"Some of us still have to sleep," Heather said dryly as she looked down at the limp spider in her arms. "And some of us are still sleeping."

"Have you spoken to Gwen yet?" Breanne asked as Heather set Webster down on a cushion and began to pick at the food.

"No, I haven't seen her all morning,” Heather replied as she decided what to eat first. She noticed a funny smile on Breanne’s face that was quickly copied by Quinny as the girls shared a secret. "Something I should I know?"

"I will let Gwen show you," Breanne said. "I would hate to spoil such a surprise."

Heather turned to Frank and Legeis, who both swore they knew nothing about it. She went about eating, sharing her hope that the lesser stone would allow her to keep making golems. Legeis suggested that it might not allow her to summon NPC's, but Heather didn't think that was important. If the notes were correct, the stone was just a focus; the NPC spirits were being cheated out of the buffer. She was rather anxious to get home and try one, but not before eating some wonderful foods. She ate a little of everything and then sampled a glass of juice that made her sigh.

"I have missed this," Heather said with a satisfied smile.

"It's why I wanted to play a queen," Gwen said as she arrived in the doorway. Today she was in purple and silver, with a diamond-studded tiara on her head. Her blue stone necklace was now a simple string of diamonds, and her hair woven in tight curls all down her back.

"I don't know how to thank you for being so kind to us," Heather said as she stood up. "I really have had a hard time adjusting to this world, and I haven't been so nice to my friends."

I heard this admission last night," Gwen said with a forgiving tone. "I would say you have adjusted quite well, given the circumstances. All you needed was some time and a few hard lessons, but the real you has shined through, and I will forever be grateful for that."

"Thank you," Heather replied and looked around the table. "And thank you for accepting my friends. They mean a lot to me."

"I can see that," Gwen replied. "You are not like any necromancer I ever heard of."

Heather smiled, and Gwen held up a hand to beckon them to follow. "Come, I have something to show you."

Heather picked up Webster, and they all followed as Gwen led them through the castle and out into a large yard surrounded by marble walls.

"This is beautiful," Heather said as she looked around at a garden full of trees with amazing colors. The leaves were blue, red, pink, yellow, and a dozen shades of green. Flowers grew everywhere in belts of color that dazzled the eye. There were little pathways of yellow stones that meandered through the landscape that amazed everywhere she looked. Ornate statues lay hidden in nooks and beds of flowers, as well as a beautiful fountain of green marble carved to resemble a lion. Water flowed from its mouth into a basin then out through a spillway into a tiny stream. The most impressive feature of it all was the white tower that rose above it all. It was round with a curving stair on the outside the went to a landing before golden doors. It went up another five levels with windows and balconies on every floor and planters overgrown with hanging growth. The top floor was a glass dome held up by brass arms, with green plants underneath. Even as Heather looked, balls of light in various colors began to dance over flowers in places, causing them to bloom as they made a gentle music.

"Do you like the garden?" Gwen asked as she turned to face Heather, who was still amazed by the lush beauty.

"I love it," Heather replied. "I never dreamed any place could look so beautiful."

"I am glad you are pleased because it's yours,” Gwen said with a flourish of her arm to sweep the lovely scene.

Heather looked up in shock as Gwen took her hand and led her to the steps.

"But I already have a home," Heather said as she tried to work out the concept.

"Didn't you know a player can have several homes?" Gwen asked.

"No," Heather replied. "I had no idea."

"Hero players can," Frank said. "Monster players have just their lair."

"Unfortunately so," Gwen said. "But since Heather is a hero player, I made her a home and set her as the owner. This is the home and garden of my flower singer daughter, Princess Hannah."

"I don't know what to say," Heather gasped as she looked around. "All I did was get your stone back."

"All you did?" Gwen laughed. "You do realize how much I lost? Without the stone, I was less than a player, trapped in an empty castle mocked by anyone who managed to get in. Months I have languished while other kings and queens built and flourished, paying my plight no mind. People I once considered peers and friends abandoned me in my time of need. I have to say I was rather close to depression and spent quite a few nights crying over my condition."

"I'm sorry that happened to you," Heather replied.

"I know you are. That's why you deserve this," Gwen said. "Honestly, it is a small gift. You have no idea how powerful I truly am. Speaking of which, there is something inside you need to see."

Heather followed through the golden doors and into a marble hall of white pillars and hanging plants. There was a curving staircase going up to the next floor, but Gwen took them down to a chamber below the tower. Here was a natural cave filled with every kind of glowing mushroom and vine-like plants. A few tunnels trailed off, but it was what stood in the center of the room that amazed Heather the most. An archway of white stone stood on a glass disk. Between its arms shimmered a curtain of water that gave off a soft white light.

"What is this?" Heather asked as she dared to step closer.

"A home portal," Gwen said and held out her hand to reveal a miniature copy of the portal. "You take this with you and place it in your home in the swamps, and it will link the two homes together. You will be able to step through the waters and instantly walk between them."

"We will have instant access to the city," Frank said.

"Yay, no more walking through the swamps," Quinny laughed.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" Heather asked.

Gwen smiled and placed the miniature portal into Heather's hand.

"Because you did what so many would not, and made all of this possible. This world had become a prison for me, and I a laughing stock. You battled your way through all those traps and monsters to recover my stone to help me. I can see how much your friendship empowers you, so I hope to win your friendship to empower me."

Heather looked down at the little portal with a smile. "I feel so awkward."

Gwen laughed. "So long as you're awkward, I suppose now is a good time to tell you that you are officially my daughter, as far as the game world is concerned."

Heather let out a strange laugh as tears formed in her eyes. She felt overcome by emotion as she looked at the woman who was now her mother.

"Heather, what's wrong?" Frank asked.

She folded her hand over the portal and turned to face him. "You were right; this world can be amazing and fun. I wish I had believed you sooner."

"You got off to a bad start," Frank said. "Nobody blames you for the things you did."

"I blame me," Heather said and ran to him. She threw her arms around Frank and hugged him tightly. "You never gave up on me no matter how mean I was to you. You kept encouraging me to enjoy the magic of this world even when I refused to see it. I did such stupid things trying to fight against the world and the people in it. Look at all the silly adventures I insisted on. I nearly killed us all just to get pizza!"

"Aww, mom and dad have made up," Quinny whispered.

"Honestly, you are a nuisance," Breanne remarked as Quinny shrugged with a smile.

"Heather," Frank said as he uncomfortably pried himself from her grasp. "You did just fine. We had fun going on your silly adventures. Look around you; this is where they brought us."

Heather took a deep breath as she wiped at her eyes. "Why are both the nicest and meanest people I know in this world?"

"This world encourages bad behavior," Gwen said. "Nobody can enforce the rules because no penalty is lasting. Even death is no threat to a player who wishes to play poorly."

"You can enforce the rules in your kingdom," Breanne said.

"I can place bounties on bad players and flag them as hostile to my guards," Gwen said. "But I can't deny them access to my borders or prevent them from attacking. A player has ultimate control, but a few dozen high-level guards can usually convince a poor player to go elsewhere."

"Can't you imprison them?" Heather asked. "Another friend mentioned there were prisons."

"I can imprison them, of course, but I would prefer to drive them off. After many long months of feeling trapped in my own castle, I hate the thought of doing such to any player, even a bad one."

"A lot of players are hard to imprison anyway," Breanne said. "When a barbarian can bend bars or a wizard teleport, it becomes fruitless to try."

"Oh," Heather cried and looked up. "This is too much to take in at once. I am happy here for a change."

"It sounds to me like you deserve it," Gwen replied. "Now I have one last gift for you, my daughter."

Heather laughed and looked at Gwen, who laughed back and admitted she said that just to make her uncomfortable. She then produced a small golden crystal and handed Heather her lesser kingdom heart.

"Use it well. I know you will," Gwen said with a smile. "Now, I suppose you need to hurry off to your hidden swamp lair. You will have to travel back the old fashioned way until you place the portal."

"We should go before players start to arrive," Frank agreed. "We can come right back once the portal is up."

Heather nodded and tucked her new treasures in her pouch. "I should take this dress off."

"No, you should take it with you, Gwen said. "It was bought for you after all. Hang it in any magic wardrobe, and it will clean and repair by morning."

Heather took another deep breath and looked around the gardens. Frank was right, this world was amazing, and she wasn't going to fight it anymore. This was home now, and she was going to make it a home worth living in. With a bounce in her step, they set out to return and begin a new chapter, one where the world and its endless possibilities were open for a change.

2