Fresno Pt6 #36
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“...but let us tell the rest of the Spine,” said the officer. He looked at the man who entered the tent, giving him a peaceful yet sorrowful look.

The man left the tent, still nervous, but comforted that everything will be said to the Spine.

The council of officers spoke softer after the man left, leaning in closer to one another.

“What was on the call?” said Lucin.

It was the overseer of the McFarland group who took the call. He had brown skin and short dark hair, a military type of guy. “Some kid. He said he was from the Fresno gang. They said they know about the horde, and offered us shelter.”

The circle of officers was silent.

“Okay,” said Lucin, with a sigh. “Are you sure there isn't another way?”

“It's not like we have a choice,” said the officer of Pixley, who was short and European. “Fires to the east, ocean to the west, and death from the south.”

Lucin shook her head.

Another officer spoke up, “These people just slaughtered our people. Now we’re coming back?”

“What if we take them on from the inside? They’re letting us in, all we have to do is start blasting,” said the McFarland overseer. 

“I can get behind that,” said the officer of Pixley.

“We’re putting our own people at risk,” Lucin said sorrowfully.

“We’re all at risk,” the McFarland overseer responded. He was unhappy but unmoved.

The radio clicks, cutting off communication. Hugo slowly puts the small round microphone down onto the table. 

Master was standing to his right, with a knife to Hugo’s neck. “See? That wasn't so bad,” he smiled.

Hugo’s face was cold, unmoved. He was tired of being around Master.

“Look,” said Master. He put the knife into a sheath and placed it on the table, to which Hugo immediately bursts from his chair, with a fist flying to Master’s face.

Master dodged the blow and with one motion Master's hand shoots like a bullet to Hugo’s chest. Hugo is knocked into the wall of the shack, making an indent in the wall. The shack rattled like an earthquake hit, and Hugo falls to the ground, dazed. He could hear Master chuckle as he tries to pick himself up, but fails.

Master leaned over to Hugo with a smile once more, “Look, I can respect a fighter, there’s not many out here. So here’s what’s gonna happen. You’re gonna be my right hand man. Okay? Sure, you might try to kill me, but don't worry…” Master leaned in closer, “You won't.” He stood up and walked out of the shack, still in earshot of Hugo. “Don't worry Hugo, you’ll be much happier here. You know why? Because I’m a man. I’m a man who knows what he wants, and takes what he wants. And if I want respect I’m gonna take that respect whether you like it or not. So, I want you to work for me, and you are going to do that whether you like it or not. So when your people come, I’ll take your women, or the hot ones at least. I’ll turn your men and children into slaves…maybe kill a few as an example.” Master looked out into the streets of Fresno from the roof of the building they stood on. “So you’re gonna work for me. If you don't…like you refuse to do everything I say, I’ll kill all of them, and make you watch.” 

Hugo shambled out of the shack, leaning onto the door-frame. His bruised and beat up body was practically purple all over.

Master looked at Hugo, then looked away, “Come on, we got to prepare for our new guests.”

Later that night, the officers of the Spine stood before all the members of the camp. Carmen and Genesis were in the crowd as well. The officer of McFarland stood on the bed of a truck and spoke out. 

“Some of you may know…that there is a horde coming,” said the officer. A murmur grew among the crowd. Carmen and Genesis glanced at each other, intrigued. “Now, unfortunately, our means of escape are little to none.” The murmur grew louder.

“HEY! STOP TALKING!” Lucin screamed, the murmur silenced.

“But by luck, he have been given a way out…A group in Fresno-”

The crowd screamed out in refusal.

“Don't you know what they did!?” said someone in the crowd.

“They killed my brother!” said someone else.

“They killed my wife!” said another.

Lucin pointed a gun in the air: BANG 

The crowd went silent.

The officer of McFarland continued, “We know, but if we stay here, we die. Start packing immediately, we leave in two days.”

The crowd practically booed as it scattered across the camp.

Carmen and Genesis walked back to the barracks.

“Huh, look at that, they know about the horde,” said Genesis. She walked with a more bouncy and uplifting step.

“How are you so…energetic?” said Carmen.

“I got no worries,” said Genesis.

“Not Mordecai?” Carmen asked.

“He’s alive aint he?” Genesis answered. “That reminds me, I should go check…to make sure he’s still alive.” She turned toward the medical tent and Carmen followed.

“Wait, so what if we were here and the horde came?” Carmen asked.

“I would just leave. It’s not like I’m stuck here,” Genesis answered.

“But if Mordecai cant go with you?” Carmen continued.

Genesis’s bounce stopped, “Lets just hope that doesn't happen then,” she continued walking.

As they walked to the medical tent, Carmen pondered about Genesis’s care for Mordecai. It reminded her of Hugo and Lila. Wait, Lila?

“Wait, where is Lila?” Carmen said in a whisper.

“Huh?” said Genesis.

“No, uh, go ahead. I have to check on something,” said Carmen. She left Genesis and went to find Lila. “Where is she?” Carmen asked one of the Spine members, “Hey, where are the children kept?...or housed I mean?” 

The member pointed her to a tent just across the path. Carmen walked through the door to see all the kids of the camp singing “Clean up,” as they stored their toys into boxes with the help of some tweens, but she couldn't see Lila.

One of the attendants stepped up to Carmen, “Are you looking for someone?”

“Yes, is there a girl named Lila here?” Carmen said.

The woman picked up a clipboard from a table beside her and scrolled through the names. “No, sorry I don't see a Lila on the list.”

Carmen began to breathe heavily, “Are you sure? Because there is supposed to be a girl named Lila.”

“Sorry, I don't see a Lila. Does she have a last name?” the attendant asked.

“Dang it, I don't know her last name," said Carmen, glancing away. She turned back to the attendant, “Okay, thank you.”

Walking out of the tent, Carmen spotted her Father helping with loading supplies onto a truck with some other Spine members.

“Dad!” she said, speeding up to him. 

Dylan slowed down to a stop and turned his head. “Yes, Carmen,” he answered. His face lit up at the sight of his daughter.

“Have you seen Hugo’s little sister? Lila?” Carmen said, stopping just a few feet away from him.

“Uh, sorry. I don't know what she looks like. I haven't seen any little girls either,” Dylan answered. He placed a basket onto the back of a truck beside him.

Carmen sighed. Her body seemingly decompressed in distress. She put her hands to her eyes. “Think, think…” she whispered to herself.

“What do you need me to do?” said Dylan. He stepped closer, turning his head to Carmen. His eyes fixated on his daughter.

Carmen looked up, frowning as she let out another sigh. “It's just. Hugo trusted me with his sister, and I know how much she means to him…I- I just got so tired. I was so scared-”

“Hey hey hey, it's okay,” said Dylan, affirmingly. He put his hand on Carmen’s shoulder. “You’re doing your best. We’ll figure this out.”

Carmen nodded at her dad, keeping in tears. 

“Do you know why she would want to leave?” said Dylan.

“Maybe, I guess. I don't know,” Carmen answered.

“Okay, does she have anywhere to go?” Dylan continued.

“Mmmm,” said Carmen, her eyes looked down to her side.

“Like a safe place?” Dylan added.

Carmen’s eyes lit up. “I know where she’s going…”

0